PDA

View Full Version : system stuck on logon screen

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 12:28 AM
messing around as i do installed the xtreme theme no probs wmp no probs uninstalled icon pack gold and bam now she boots up but wont go past the logon screen .I have tried all defaults under F8 no joy idont have a system image(uummm) am currently using another os i mess around with so ican get into the os ijust dont know what to do??????
Do i manually find allor what patched files from the icon install and return back to basic and reboot or is there something else i need to do..i would be most grateful.......thanx

Cashis
February 11th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Hi sol88,

Sorry to hear about your trouble :(

So you dont have a disc to boot off of? is this correct? and you tried pressing F8 on boot up and selected the "Repair My Computer" or "Restore back to Last Known Best Configuration" (I think it is :) )

If you tried all that and it still failed, If you are dual booting you will have to look in the system files from within another OS and repair it yourself.

But if you have a disc to boot off of just boot up from it and select Repair my computer or Open a command prompt and type
sfc /scannow

let us know.

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM
popped in the disc went to repair my computer says it is not possible with this disc or words alike to...... :td:

What system files are corrupted ...Do i need to say get the an icon pack and install manually will that do it or is there other files i need to patch....... thanx

Cashis
February 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
When you boot from disc and go to Repair my computer get to the screen where there is a list of option's and 1 option will be the command prompt open that up and type
sfc /scannow

The files that get changed are:
imageres.dll - imagesp1.dll - Shell32.dll - zipfldr.dll

in both "System32 folder" & if you are running x64 then "SysWOW64 folder"

all the script does is replace the
imageres.dll - imagesp1.dll - Shell32.dll - zipfldr.dll to all ".BAK" so you need to make sure that there are 1 of each in each directory.

I would try the "sfc /scannow" first though "sfc = System File Checker" running that will restore all the effected system files.

let us know how ya go. :)

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
i already jumped in and the imageres.dll was missing from system32.I got in but aero is disabled and many of the icons are showing some sort of strange type diagnosed aero said graphics driver,anyways i ran the scan rebooted no difference done an icon repair and cleaned the cache no difference all in & manager.So i just tryed to reinstall icon packwont boot past logon screen so i have just reinstalled the files imageres not copying to system32 deleted all old and bak files and are now going to reboot into that os again.When im in i will post ascreen of what ive got.....thanx

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 11:33 AM
this is what im left with i cant launch some apps nvidia contro panel has gone the taskbar icons are doing what they want is it worth messing around or just a fresh install.........thanx

Cashis
February 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Are you on x86 or x64?? and are you sure you disabled UAC??

Navigate to
C:\windows\System32 and make sure there are just 1 of each of these .dll's in there.

imageres.dll - imagesp1.dll - Shell32.dll - zipfldr.dll

and that is all "Delete all .BAK's"

As long as you have 1 of each of those .dll's there then the icon pack is not the problem.

/Edit if you ran "sfc /scannow" you would not have any custom icons at all. Are you sure you ran it properly?

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM
i just did an icon repair and the icons came back and the taskbar.Nortons wont load and cant get aeroback tried repatching themes x64 was ok but x86 wasnt had to do both before because of ms update doing the scan you said will reboot and reinstall nvidia was going to try the new cuda 3.0 anyways and see how she runs....thanx

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM
well all is back fine,i had to reinstall all nvidia drivers xonar audio drivers nis and cfos so far so it must have affected drivers some how,probaly after watching football last night i had had afew maybe i never uninstalled the icon pack before installing another..
one question in the dat file for the icon pack there is files to delete backups it wont run how do iget it to run....
anyways added a screen back to blue loving the work that is put forward here ...inspiring

Cashis
February 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
:party2: Looks good glad ya got it sorted, The uninstall Cleanup Script will delete all of the .BAK .dll's run that before you attempt to install any other Icon Pack and you should be fine.

If you want to Revert back to default Icons then you can just put your original .dll's in the Data folder replacing the custom ones and run the script as normal and it will install the Stock Icons.

Glad ya got it sorted and let us know if you need any further help. :)