PDA

View Full Version : How to use theme resource changer

razorsedge
November 16th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Theme Resource Changer Instructions

Theme Resource changer eliminates having to edit dll or exe files to replace the images in your explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll
and your shell32.dll.

1. To use the Theme resource changer download and run the Theme Resource Changer.exe x86 or x64 depending on what operating system you are using. Theme resource changer can be found here: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/30902-Theme-Resource-Changer-no-more-dll-editing..

2. After installation it will automatically restart explorer and you are set you only have to apply this just the one time and it will work for any theme that you setup to use it with.

3. To set your themes to use the Theme Resource Changer all that is needed is to make 3 folders inside your theme folder, with these names

explorer.exe
explorerframe.dll
Shell32.dll

like in the screen shot below:

These folders go inside your theme folder you have in windows\resources\themes\your theme name here

4. Inside each folder you add the picture resources you would like to use for each numbered the same as they are in the explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll and Shell32.dll. These resources must be in png format not bitmap. So example explorer.exe for the start orb and user picture frame, the numbers for these in the explorer.exe are 6801, 6805, 6809, 7013. Add those picture resources to the explorer.exe folder and place it inside your theme folder.

as shown below in screen shots:

For the explorer.exe folder you can also add the user frame png like so:

this would be image 7013 in the explorer.exe folder

Also in the Shell32.dll folder you can add images for icons in the shell32.dll as pngs there are many icons in the shell32.dll so I wont go into listing them all here but you may add images as 256x256 pngs for the icons in the shell32.dll just make sure to number them correctly as in the shell32.dll ie. 1 in the shell32.dll in the icons folder would be 1.png image in your shell32.dll folder

5. Then just select your theme in the personalization menu and now your start orb will be changed, your explorerframe buttons and other images in the explorer frame, along with the navigation panel in system properties will now all be changed to the images you have placed in those 3 folders in your theme folder. This applies to any theme all you have to do is apply the theme normally. No more editing dll's to replace your images.

6. This applies to even the aero theme that is the default on windows 7.

Enjoy the theme resource changer :)

Update: 21/04/2011 Thought I had fixed the problem with the drive letter but in case you are still having any problems getting theme resource changer to work then use this reg fix.

https://8pecxstudios.com/razor/Theme Related others/Theme Resource Changer.exe

Mad--Rabbit
November 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Great tutorial and great program. I'm going to use it straight away! :money:

jayarte
December 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I am currently using VistaGlazz theme patcher, which has worked fairly well, but doesn't always use the theme's start orbs, etc (so I've been doing them separately with StartOrbz). Anyway, the software you have described sounds much simpler, and more effective, but what do I do about the fact that currently VistaGlazz has been applied? Would I just uninstall it? Or have to change some files?

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

p.s. If I do uninstall it, what would happen to the themes which were working fine using VistaGlazz?

Big V
December 16th, 2010, 07:59 PM
i have both vista glass and theme resource changer installed with no problems

jayarte
December 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ah, I understand now, I obviously had misunderstood exactly what theme resource changer does. Thanks for the posts, guys, now to try it out ^^ :icon_smile:

jayarte
December 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Actually, sorry to be a bit thick, but where do I get the images from? Also, some of my themes come with icon, navigation buttons etc, but they just don't get applied. And when I tried doing it once (following instructions by theme maker) by altering shell32.dll to shell32.dllbak, I crashed my pc because I was tired (and stupid, I admit) and missed out the "."

Big V
December 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I don't think you have a good understanding of how the resource changer works. It does not edit your actual system files THEY STAY UNTOUCHED. The resource changer modify the files in memory as they are loaded so the orginal files stay untouched hence there is no need any longer to have to edit system files. There are still a few files that the resource changer won't do like timedate.cpl

jayarte
December 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM
theme resource changer lets you apply these images without having to edit these system files :)
in your theme folder you will have 3 extra folders named explorer.exe(startorb) and inside should be images for the start orb, and the other 2 folders will be called explorerframe.dll & shell32.dll also with images in them.
you can find these folders in the theme folder you want to apply if the theme maker has included them, - yourdrive/windows/resources/themes/ your theme you want to apply folder.
here is the one I just did look in the theme folder at the images, you can mod them and make your own easily with a graphic editor like photoshop :)
[attachment=0:2nkd268p]Dark vision.rar[/attachment:2nkd268p]

Ahah, thanks for this, now I begin to understand what the problem is. When I open the Dark vision theme folder, it does indeed include the
explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll and shell32.dll. The difficulty has been, however, that some themes do not have those folders, that is what was throwing me. I thought I was looking in the wrong place, or something, but no, they just aren't there. Inside of the theme folder for Windows-7 blend by Zain Adeel, for example, there are two folders: en-US, and Shell.

I don't think I was misunderstanding what Theme Resource Changer does, I was simply confused by the lack of the relevant files in some themes (still am, actually).

Thanks for all the help everyone has offered on this, and I'll let you know as soon as I have a chance to try it out ^^

bigcyco1
January 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM
yeah devil is correct and ask him and razor about this app guys not me and just so you know i don't use this yet so any vs of mine you upload this don't apply to them unless you personally make it apply o.k. guys because i have got quite a couple p.m. asking me how come this app does not work it does i just don't use it so my vs ain't set up for it that's all again idk much about it talk to razoredge or devil lmao

dreamer567
February 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the helpful info.

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
February 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM
This is a Super,Brutal application
I finally found all the features,but not all,but many,has many uses
This is a very versatile application and can it do incredible things,then I add here a few photos
I Loooooooooove it :loving: Thank you for it :happy:

Nimueh
April 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I am using Concept Design (great theme btw, I absolutely love it :happy: ), I installed the theme resource changer, but somehow I can't get 2 things to work.

1. The back/forward buttons in windows explorer won't change to the ones provided by the theme.

2. In Computer Properties or Personalisation (just to name 2, there are more) the left pane stays white, instead of black like in the theme screenshots.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?

Any help is appreaciated :crying:

Big V
April 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Sounds like you may have changed those images manually before installing theme resource changer. if that is the case you will need to find a new fresh copy of those .dll's and replace the modified ones. Theme resource changer won't change images that have already been modified by other programs in my experience with using it.

Nimueh
April 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hmm no, I've never modified those files (and in the case of the white left pane I wouldn't even know how/where) ;-)

Big V
April 26th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Can you post a screen shot so we can see what is going on. Then we might be able to help you a little more

Mr GRiM
April 26th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hmm no, I've never modified those files (and in the case of the white left pane I wouldn't even know how/where) ;-)

What is the drive letter for your windows 7 partition, if it's not on C drive then use the reg fix I posted on the first post above.

Nimueh
April 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Win7 is installed on C:, and here's the screenshot:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3079/virtcust.th.jpg (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/virtcust.jpg/)

The back/forward buttons are the round ones from Win7 instead of the ones from the theme, and the left pane is white, but in the screenshot from the theme it's black.

Thanks already for trying to help :)

Mr GRiM
April 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Win7 is installed on C:, and here's the screenshot:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3079/virtcust.th.jpg (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/virtcust.jpg/)

The back/forward buttons are the round ones from Win7 instead of the ones from the theme, and the left pane is white, but in the screenshot from the theme it's black.

Thanks already for trying to help :)

In C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Concept do you have the following folders, explorer.exe folder containing the start button and user picture frame, explorerframe.dll folder containing the navigation buttons and and other small close and search images and the shell32.dll folder containing the images for the Control panel navigation pane and Header?

Nimueh
April 30th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Yes to all of those folders, and the images in explorer.exe work fine, just not the others ... I just don't get it :(

Mr GRiM
April 30th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Yes to all of those folders, and the images in explorer.exe work fine, just not the others ... I just don't get it :(
Are all the images png, also is your windows build a legitimate copy or are you using a custom build?

Nimueh
April 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Yes to both, images are .png and OS is normal Win7 Prof. 64bit with all the updates

Nimueh
June 4th, 2011, 06:36 AM
:crying: Done all that, the only thing that changed was the userpic frame.

pinkfloyder
June 20th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Many thanks!

edy273
June 20th, 2011, 04:49 AM
HI everyone im new in this amazing site and,man hate to say this but i have to :ashamed: i have no idea how to use Theme Resource Changer even with the very good tutorial of razorsedge, i know it is very easy to understand but honestly :idk: hot to make it work, my english as you can see is not verygood plese if someone can helpme 'll always be grateful thank you very much.bye

bgjerlow designs
June 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
HI everyone im new in this amazing site and,man hate to say this but i have to :ashamed: i have no idea how to use Theme Resource Changer even with the very good tutorial of razorsedge, i know it is very easy to understand but honestly :idk: hot to make it work, my english as you can see is not verygood plese if someone can helpme 'll always be grateful thank you very much.bye
Well it is rather simple. You download the theme resource changer, run the exe, let it install, reboot and you're done. Remember to get the right one for your system-type (you can see if it's 32-bit or 64-bit by right clicking computer in the start menu and selecting properties. Then it says it under system type).
Then you will have to download some themes that supports the theme resource changer. You can find many of those here on the site.

I hope this helps :)

Kosta
July 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Same here! I am totally new at this, but I understand the tutorial, folders are there, Concave 7 theme is installed, and still, it behaves absolutely same.
UniversalThemePatcher_20090409 is also installed for the theme.
Otherwise no UI changes or anything. Just started doing this today.
W7 Ultimate x64, original DVD directly from Microsoft. SP1 installed.

HaCkthEplAneT
July 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Same here! I am totally new at this, but I understand the tutorial, folders are there, Concave 7 theme is installed, and still, it behaves absolutely same.
UniversalThemePatcher_20090409 is also installed for the theme.
Otherwise no UI changes or anything. Just started doing this today.
W7 Ultimate x64, original DVD directly from Microsoft. SP1 installed.

ok last time i checked concave 7 made by mr. grim is not setup to use theme resource changer (unless he has updated it). so this is why your having issues. There is a "resources and extras" folder included that will contain the start orb, shell32 replacement images, along with some other system files. but since your running sp1 the system files included probably will not all work on your system. so may but some may not. I suggest that you try a different theme such as blade or zero-g. both of these will work just fine with theme resource changer. and it they don't work on your system, that means you have something else going on. :smile:

DocFallingApart
July 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I seem to be have a similar issue as some of the others here and I'm not new to this. That issue is that only parts of the theme apply. Namely the png's from the "shell32.dll" and "ExplorerFrame.dll" directories DO NOT apply, but other parts of the theme like the User Pic Frame and Orb from the "explorer.exe" directory do apply. I'm testing with Left's Life theme which also includes Cursors and Sounds directories in the theme and those DO also apply. I don't think Theme Resource Changer applies to the Cursors and Sounds directories but wanted to point them out to you.

It seams to me that anything that is part of Explorer.exe doesn't get applied but everything else does. Unfortunately I'm at a lost as to why that would be as I don't know exactly how Theme Resource Changer is doing it's magic. Could it be a permissions issue of some sort?

Here is some general information. Yes I restarted Explorer after applying the theme and even tried rebooting. I'm running the x64 ThemeResourceChanger.dll version 1.0.0.1. Yes my system is patched for themes using Universal Theme Patcher x64 version 1.5.0.22. My Windows is original Window 7 x64 sp1 (See screen shot).

I really hope you guys can think of something I've missed and thanks for any help you can provide. You're all really talented and I love your themes. You make Windows look great and I can't wait to see what you all do next. Please keep up the great work!!!

Here are a bunch of screen prints, listing of my theme directory structure and files, archive of my copy of Left's Life theme, and an archive of everything together so you can just download and look at that archive if that's easier.

Update: This issue has been resolved. Please see post #41 in this same thread.

DocFallingApart
September 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
This is an update to the Theme Resource Changer issue I posted on 7/30/2011.

Since my original post I've done a clean rebuild of both my tower PC and my laptop. Both of them are running Windows 7 x64 sp1. On both I was suprised to find that I still have the problem of Theme Resource Change not applying any themes updates to explorerframe.dll or shell32.dll except for the user picture frame. The Explorer task pane or Explorer forward/back/stop/refresh buttons do not change with any theme I try on either of these systems.

So I talked my mother who is running Windows 7 sp1 32bit into trying with her laptop so I could see if I ran into the same issue with a 32bit system. As it turns out Theme Resource Changer worked as advertized on her 32bit system. No problems with explorerframe.dll, shell32.dll, or any other theme changes. Also my mom absolutely LOVED Mr. GRiMMs HUD theme. :-D

So in summery I have issues with Theme Resource Changer on two completely different Windows 7 x64 systems, and I have no problems using Theme Resource Changer on a Windows 7 32bit system. So normally I would conclude that like so my other applications Theme Resource Changer doesn't completely work on x64 bit systems.

Problem with that conclusion is I know most of the users here on VC are running 64bit and are not reporting this issue. So if anyone has any ideas why I would be having a problem with TRC on only x64 systems I would be very grateful if you would share them. I'm really stumped on this issue, and I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out. However even after doing a complete rebuild of my PC I still can't figure this one out. So please if you have any ideas or just suggestion where to look next please post them. Also if anyone else is having this issue with TRC please post and let us know. Thanks.

PS. Moderators, if this isn't a good thread for this, or if you think I should open new thread on this issue, please let me know.

Big V
September 4th, 2011, 04:43 AM
This is an update to the Theme Resource Changer issue I posted on 7/30/2011.

Since my original post I've done a clean rebuild of both my tower PC and my laptop. Both of them are running Windows 7 x64 sp1. On both I was suprised to find that I still have the problem of Theme Resource Change not applying any themes updates to explorerframe.dll or shell32.dll except for the user picture frame. The Explorer task pane or Explorer forward/back/stop/refresh buttons do not change with any theme I try on either of these systems.

So I talked my mother who is running Windows 7 sp1 32bit into trying with her laptop so I could see if I ran into the same issue with a 32bit system. As it turns out Theme Resource Changer worked as advertized on her 32bit system. No problems with explorerframe.dll, shell32.dll, or any other theme changes. Also my mom absolutely LOVED Mr. GRiMMs HUD theme. :-D

So in summery I have issues with Theme Resource Changer on two completely different Windows 7 x64 systems, and I have no problems using Theme Resource Changer on a Windows 7 32bit system. So normally I would conclude that like so my other applications Theme Resource Changer doesn't completely work on x64 bit systems.

Problem with that conclusion is I know most of the users here on VC are running 64bit and are not reporting this issue. So if anyone has any ideas why I would be having a problem with TRC on only x64 systems I would be very grateful if you would share them. I'm really stumped on this issue, and I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out. However even after doing a complete rebuild of my PC I still can't figure this one out. So please if you have any ideas or just suggestion where to look next please post them. Also if anyone else is having this issue with TRC please post and let us know. Thanks.

PS. Moderators, if this isn't a good thread for this, or if you think I should open new thread on this issue, please let me know.
To me it sounds like you are not using the correct version of theme resource changer there are 2 version of it one for x86 which is for 32bit systems and x64 for 64bit versions of windows so you may want to redownload your copy of theme resource changer. Inside the RAR you will find 2 version of it

DocFallingApart
September 4th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Big V. I have the correct version installed. See the the install path on the screen shot below. I'm pretty sure the 32bit version will not let you install on a 64bit machine.

Big V
September 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Can you explain the problem more in-depth?? What is not changing for you?

Mr GRiM
September 5th, 2011, 05:00 AM
If you want you can install Team Viewer and I can help find out why it's not working for you.

serschik
September 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I also have such problems! do not work and shell.32 explorerframe.
tried everything and no change:unhappy:have to do everything myself wiht "Restorator":cazy:

razorsedge
September 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi serschik and docfallingapart :)

There is a few questions I would just want to ask you are either of u using custom os builds or gamer edition os's also have u used any apps previously as in start orb changers and such as these put locks on the dlls and this could be why you are having issues :)

DocFallingApart
September 6th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I don't have a custom OS, but I have used several of Kishan Bagaria tools to change the items that TRC were not changing. Maybe that's my problem. Thing is I'm pretty sure I didn't use those tools until TRC didn't work for me. Is there something I could look to tell if my .dlls are locked or not? I thought that TRC didn't change the dlls directly myself, but then I really don't get how it works. I use Teamviewer all the time so I think I'll take Mr. Grimm up on his offer and see if we can figure this out.

PS. Glad you guys got the site back up. That must have been one of those real DOH! moments.

Mr GRiM
September 6th, 2011, 07:16 AM
OK after some fun on Team viewer I found out what was causing the problem and also found out from Razorsedge that allot of custom OS builders enable this as well.

You need to go into your folder options and uncheck Launch folder windows in a separate process, that's it!

DocFallingApart
September 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Many thanks to theme master Mr. Grim for looking at my system and figuring the issue out. I would never have thought to look there.:daman:

Mr GRiM
September 6th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Your most welcome bud, just glad I found the problem, I knew it had to be something silly, I thought it may have been the check box setting at first and thats why I went there and just decided to see if any other setting were different to mine while I was there and it was lucky I did lol

serschik
September 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM
THANK YOU Mr Grim:gun::gun::gun: worked:bunny2:

Hellcat
September 8th, 2011, 07:00 AM
:flirt: good post, very useful info thank you Tucker :cool::happy:

HammerJack
October 11th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks for this post and thanks for all the input from all the members here at VC..

Speaking of input, could someone maybe answer a couple of questions about this app and a conflict I noticed when using this alongside another app/process.

Does anyone know who wrote this app and do you know if there is any future develement ? I did a little searching and found nothing. Would not it be nice if you could add other images along side the current 3 folders now used. Like images for Shellbrd, timedate, system.cpl, etc.

The conflict I mentioned involves running TRC when I have Dreamscenes activated. I love theming, and I hate to say it, but at the same time I'm having a hard time letting go of the DreamScene feature that can be enabled in Se7en... I've saved a ton of DreamScenes over time. I've found out that I can't run Theme Resource Changer at the same time I have DreamScenes activated. (or vice versa) When one is working, the other stops working??? Anyone else notice this happening?

Thanks in advance..

rednax026
October 11th, 2011, 02:07 AM
thanks a lot for such a great info :Smile:

pinkfloyder
January 7th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Great!!..thanks for the info.

glassyeyed
February 17th, 2012, 02:43 AM
OK after some fun on Team viewer I found out what was causing the problem and also found out from Razorsedge that allot of custom OS builders enable this as well.

You need to go into your folder options and uncheck Launch folder windows in a separate process, that's it!

Just did a fresh install and missed this simple fix for enabling the image in the left pane of the control panel, Thanks MrGrim

busterbo
February 17th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Seems Im having the same problems as Doc but that folder box is unchecked on my system. I have a Dell studio xps 1640 with a ATI Radeon HD 3670 512mb video card and Fresh windows 7 64 ult oem install. I cant get any theme to fully take on just this system. I can get themes Fully working on a my other systems.I have tried 32bit installs and multiple wipes and re-installs on the laptop. Any help would be great Thanks

glassyeyed
February 17th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Seems Im having the same problems as Doc but that folder box is unchecked on my system. I have a Dell studio xps 1640 with a ATI Radeon HD 3670 512mb video card and Fresh windows 7 64 ult oem install. I cant get any theme to fully take on just this system. I can get themes Fully working on a my other systems.I have tried 32bit installs and multiple wipes and re-installs on the laptop. Any help would be great Thanks

What screen resolution & DPI (text size) are you using. I have noticed that the windows explorer forward and back buttons only work at 100 DPI and some themes will not work or only partially work if DPI is 125 or more.

busterbo
February 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
What screen resolution & DPI (text size) are you using. I have noticed that the windows explorer forward and back buttons only work at 100 DPI and some themes will not work or only partially work if DPI is 125 or more.

Yeah I guest the default at 1920x1080 was 125 dpi. changed it to 100 and everything works. Thanks

zeeuw
April 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hi guys,

I have installed the resource changer and downloaded the predators theme. When I apply the theme the background changes, the mouse cursor changes en the predator sounds do work fine.
However the menu's do not change and the color becomes gray. What can I do to fix that problem?

8pecxstudios
April 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hi guys,

I have installed the resource changer and downloaded the predators theme. When I apply the theme the background changes, the mouse cursor changes en the predator sounds do work fine.
However the menu's do not change and the color becomes gray. What can I do to fix that problem?

Hi Bud You Need To Patch Your System To Enable Third Party Themes Here Is The Link To Universal Theme Patcher That Will Fix The Problems For You ok :Smile:

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27909-How-to-Apply-Custom-Themes-in-Windows-7

Creeper_4life
July 17th, 2012, 11:04 PM
W00T! Works perfectly!

failure13
February 16th, 2013, 06:56 AM
The resource changer modify the files in memory as they are loaded so the orginal files stay untouched hence there is no need any longer to have to edit system files. There are still a few files that the resource changer won't do like timedate.cpl

So, obvious question - how much it reduces perfomance?

P.S. I also got a weird trouble, when i apply test black aero theme that's in archive with installer, explorerframe apply only for control panel, but for explorer it stays default...Any clue?

molkemon
July 10th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I've suddenly run into problems using Theme Resource Changer - it used to work just fine til now but out of nowhere, explorerframe and shell32 doesn't seem to be updated on the run. I have several themes with the right imagefiles in the subfolders in place and they used to work just fine, but now only the Start Globe gets replaced, but not the explorer buttons or the control panel sidebars, it's very frustrating, any ideas? Note: I'm not quite sure if it happened exactly then, but the halt of correct function may have conincided when I installed a Tab modification for the Explorer called Clover. I've since uninstalled it, but the problem remains. As I said, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it at all.

ONE MAN ARMY
July 11th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I've suddenly run into problems using Theme Resource Changer - it used to work just fine til now but out of nowhere, explorerframe and shell32 doesn't seem to be updated on the run. I have several themes with the right imagefiles in the subfolders in place and they used to work just fine, but now only the Start Globe gets replaced, but not the explorer buttons or the control panel sidebars, it's very frustrating, any ideas? Note: I'm not quite sure if it happened exactly then, but the halt of correct function may have conincided when I installed a Tab modification for the Explorer called Clover. I've since uninstalled it, but the problem remains. As I said, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it at all.

Best bet my friend is to run sfc /scannow. This will restore system files to original, Thus giving you a fresh go at it. after you run sfc /scannow, just repatch your system and re install Theme resource changer. Then apply theme. Please let me know if this works for you. When ever I run into any problems I always run sfc /scannow. This is 100% safe to do.

molkemon
July 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Hmm I did the following steps: Manually regsvr unregistered the existing Theme Resource Changer dll file, ran scannow /sfc, reboot. At this point of course custom themes no longer worked. I reapplied Universal Theme Patcher, installed Theme Resource Changer, rebooted and still same problem - the start globe gets replaced without a hitch but explorerframe and shell32 stuff doesn't. Any other ideas? I know I could manually edit the files with resource hacker, but I'd rather not.

molkemon
July 11th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Son of a B*tch I found the problem. After like 5 hours of tinkering around countless reboots the solution turned out to be extremely simple. In Explorer Folder Options the setting for "Launch Folder Windows in a seperate process" must be off or the Theme Resource Changer won't work. Now obviously I had this setting at off, but when I installed Clover that setting got changed automatically (because Clover needs it to work) and when I uninstalled it, it didn't get set back. Oh well, problem solved -.-

ONE MAN ARMY
July 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Son of a B*tch I found the problem. After like 5 hours of tinkering around countless reboots the solution turned out to be extremely simple. In Explorer Folder Options the setting for "Launch Folder Windows in a seperate process" must be off or the Theme Resource Changer won't work. Now obviously I had this setting at off, but when I installed Clover that setting got changed automatically (because Clover needs it to work) and when I uninstalled it, it didn't get set back. Oh well, problem solved -.-

I sent you a PM if you need help. I am available all day.

IAMGAMING64
November 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Hey i am new to this but could you please post a video tutorial because i don't understand.
Thanks

Makeira
December 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Hey I don't know how to get this to work. Everything like my start menu and menu button has changed the background changed and the toolbar changed but aren't the files also supposed to change. No matter what I do I can't figure it out even though the file has replacement icons for the folders it didn't change them. Am I doing something wrong?

Makeira
December 9th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Oh and my login screen doesn't change either.

Makeira
December 9th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Hey I can't get mine to work. My background, start menu, start menu button, toolbar, my window changes but my login page doesn't and my folders don't change either. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it not supposed to do that? The theme re-digitized picture has all of that stuff in it, it just doesn't show up on my computer.

ravnicrasol
January 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
Um... total newb here that came here pretty much because of this post. I'm having trouble.

I ran the program and I installed the themes, they even appear in my "Personalization" inside the control panel. However, once I click on them (Black Aero for example), everything turns into "Old Windows" with the exception of the background. Do you have any idea how to fix this? Or where it is I screwed up?

XxHackThisxX
January 1st, 2014, 04:52 PM
Um... total newb here that came here pretty much because of this post. I'm having trouble.

I ran the program and I installed the themes, they even appear in my "Personalization" inside the control panel. However, once I click on them (Black Aero for example), everything turns into "Old Windows" with the exception of the background. Do you have any idea how to fix this? Or where it is I screwed up?

you must patch your system first,then install resource theme changer (x32 or x64).reboot.you should be fine after that.

XxHackThisxX
January 1st, 2014, 04:54 PM
It would also be more helpful if yah let us know what theme your using and which operating system you are using.

IceBabee
January 1st, 2014, 08:12 PM
Great info my friend! It's awesome that you take the time to help not so smart people like myself lmaoThank you :)

ravnicrasol
January 2nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
Um... let's see. I'm on a Windows 7 x64bit OS and I had run the program and then rebooted, but it did the same thing. Or what you mean by patching is something else?

XxHackThisxX
January 2nd, 2014, 06:19 PM
Um... let's see. I'm on a Windows 7 x64bit OS and I had run the program and then rebooted, but it did the same thing. Or what you mean by patching is something else?

You must use the "Universal Theme Patcher" for windows 7 x64. I am pretty sure it is here in VC somewhere.Maybe ask Mr Grimm or someone else.There are three files that you must patch.Just click the "patch" button beside each one.Then ok.It should ask you to reboot.Now your system is patched.After rebooting,you must install the "Theme resource changer".After you install that,reboot and all should be fine.Just be sure to "Patch" your system first using universal theme patcher.so your best bet as of now is to start over.Uninstall "theme resource changer".Install "universal theme patcher",reboot,then reinstall "theme resource changer". I hope this helps.I dont know how else to put it..lol.I am sure there is someone here though who would know where to find the most up-to date universal theme patcher. good luck.

January 2nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
You must use the "Universal Theme Patcher" for windows 7 x64. I am pretty sure it is here in VC somewhere.Maybe ask Mr Grimm or someone else.There are three files that you must patch.Just click the "patch" button beside each one.Then ok.It should ask you to reboot.Now your system is patched.After rebooting,you must install the "Theme resource changer".After you install that,reboot and all should be fine.Just be sure to "Patch" your system first using universal theme patcher.so your best bet as of now is to start over.Uninstall "theme resource changer".Install "universal theme patcher",reboot,then reinstall "theme resource changer". I hope this helps.I dont know how else to put it..lol.I am sure there is someone here though who would know where to find the most up-to date universal theme patcher. good luck.

http://universal-theme-patcher.en.softonic.com/ (http://universal-theme-patcher.en.softonic.com/)

happy birthday, OOPS i meant here you go. lol lol

opheliacroses
January 13th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Thank you

Chand
January 29th, 2014, 07:30 PM
GREAT

decibelle
February 13th, 2014, 09:13 PM
The download link seems to be broken.

dimas
April 17th, 2014, 02:45 AM
doesn't work for me, need help

alienleiva
May 6th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the post helped me a lot since I had problems with explorer.exe and reading everything I resolved :Smile:

jhgenius01
May 7th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I haven't fully tested all the different scenarios yet but will themes that require replacing dlls and system files be fine, with Theme Resource Changer installed?
It seems all right if you do it manually, and then switch between a TRC-configured theme, and manual-replace theme.

jesus.littleboy
June 23rd, 2014, 02:20 PM
Great tutorial been looking for it for 2 days now

medzino6
September 4th, 2014, 03:33 PM
merci pour cet énorme travail

Lamia
September 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM
merci pour cet énorme travail
Dear medzino6 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/277055-medzino6), welcome to Virtual Customs, enjoy your stay with us, browse our forum and have fun, if you need any help feel free to ask, also keep in mind use only English language in forum and threads on this site! :peace:

JayzenAxel
November 10th, 2014, 03:56 PM
thanks so much for the how to

luc33990
February 5th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Hey I'm new to this sort of stuff, and I need some help with this.
I installed the theme changer x64 version successfully, and am trying to use custom themes for it.
Except that it doesn't work at all, as if it weren't installed at all. When I try to apply the custom theme (i'm just trying to use the Black Aero given in the download), all the custom buttons and everything do not apply. The only thing that changes is my default text color (now dark gray), certain window backgrounds, and my desktop background. The start button, frames, and other buttons that I see in the custom folders do not show up at all.
I have tried rebooting several times, changing my themes to the default and back, and even reinstalling the theme changer, to no avail. If anyone could help, I'd be extremely grateful.

Terrapin2190
August 31st, 2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks for this!

Hey, do you know where can I find more user frame pictures like that? I've only been able to find 2 hiding in the forums.

Harvey Sewdin
August 31st, 2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks for this!

Hey, do you know where can I find more user frame pictures like that? I've only been able to find 2 hiding in the forums.

Well, you'll have to go through the theme packs I guess. Not many people use the user frame. Most themes just completely removes that, less clutter.

Wolfy
September 6th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I noticed that my theme didn't change the saveas bar like when I go to save images from photoshop. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the id number and dimensions of the image I would need to replace (I assume in explorerframe.dll) to change the color of the saveas bar?

Tom Bruce
September 13th, 2015, 12:59 PM
It doesn't work and no one seems to know why...
Win 7 X64 sp1

Tom Bruce
September 19th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Maybe I'm close to find a solution.
I tried to patch the system after a fresh install and Theme Resource worked.
Why?
Because I still didn't tweak registry...
It's something in the registry that does not allow the app to work.
On every pc where I tweaked registry it does'nt work.
Don't know by now which is the regkey responsible of that... :)

Tom Bruce
September 19th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Maybe I'm close to find a solution.
I tried to patch the system after a fresh install and Theme Resource worked.
Why?
Because I still didn't tweak registry...
It's something in the registry that does not allow the app to work.
On every pc where I tweaked registry it does'nt work.
Don't know by now which is the regkey responsible of that... :)

I found the key.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"SeparateProcess"=dword:00000000

If you want to use Theme Resource Changer leave default value (0).

DON'T SET to 1.

reloaded_
February 12th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Very nice program and tutorial.

But it would be nice to add this piece of information:

That's it! The "launch folders in a separate process" option was checked. I did it a day or two ago. Uncheck it, and now it now works fine. Thanks for the help.

Windows seems to have this option enabled by default.

tc0566
September 25th, 2016, 03:10 PM

This does not work no themes will apply any help would be greatly appreciated.

razorsedge
September 25th, 2016, 04:05 PM
This does not work no themes will apply any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi tc0566 first off I am going to assume you are using Windows 7 correct not Windows 8 or 10 just to be sure as this will only work for Windows 7. Windows 8 and 10 need very different ways to patch them. Second thing I would ask were you using any other types of patchers on your OS before trying this one anything like stuff from Stardock ( Windowsblinds and such or any other theme patchers ) if you were you need to uninstall those first before trying to aptch your system.

Something that might really help is I have a Video tutorial for how you do everything for Windows 7 here http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/37747-How-to-patch-windows-7-to-allow-3rd-party-themes-and-apply-themes-video-tutorial all the tools needed are the post below the video tutorial as well this should help you resolve any issues.

tc0566
September 25th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Hi tc0566 first off I am going to assume you are using Windows 7 correct not Windows 8 or 10 just to be sure as this will only work for Windows 7. Windows 8 and 10 need very different ways to patch them. Second thing I would ask were you using any other types of patchers on your OS before trying this one anything like stuff from Stardock ( Windowsblinds and such or any other theme patchers ) if you were you need to uninstall those first before trying to aptch your system.

Something that might really help is I have a Video tutorial for how you do everything for Windows 7 here http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/37747-How-to-patch-windows-7-to-allow-3rd-party-themes-and-apply-themes-video-tutorial all the tools needed are the post below the video tutorial as well this should help you resolve any issues.
Yes I'm using WINDOWS 7 X64. I have uninstalled theme resource changer, ran sfc scan and restored files. Then used the silent installer of universal patcher, linked on the page of the video. Rebooted installed theme resource changer again and it still does not work. I have tried all suggestions in this thread none of those help.

razorsedge
September 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Yes I'm using WINDOWS 7 X64. I have uninstalled theme resource changer, ran sfc scan and restored files. Then used the silent installer of universal patcher, linked on the page of the video. Rebooted installed theme resource changer again and it still does not work. I have tried all suggestions in this thread none of those help.

Ok bud, can you tell me what happens when you apply a theme on your system. Do some parts of the theme apply and not others, or does your system go to the basic windows theme without aero when you try applying one. Just let me know what happens when you try and apply a theme so I can narrow down what might be the problem.

tc0566
September 25th, 2016, 05:09 PM
75633It doesn't change anything and in personalization the new theme is just black it doesn't even show the wall paper.

razorsedge
September 25th, 2016, 05:25 PM
75633It doesn't change anything and in personalization the new theme is just black it doesn't even show the wall paper.

Ok so the issue is with the theme dl files and universal theme patcher as your theme dll files are not patched that's why it shows up that way. What antivirus are you using I have a feeling when your trying to apply universal theme patcher your antivirus is probably stopping it from applying. try disabling your antivirus for a few mins and running the universal theme patcher seeing if that fixes it.

There is a manual installer for it also that your AV should let go though if it is blocking the silent installer some AV's just don't like silent installers at all you can download that here http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/42812-Universal-Theme-Patcher-Manual-Install and then just click the patch buttons to do it manually instead.

tc0566
September 25th, 2016, 05:29 PM
The manual installer was the one I used first ..it's Avast for anti-virus and it is not the problem ..I disabled it before installing all 3 times. And sfc scan does detect they are changed and fixes them after starting over so they are being patched. From the cbs.log:
STATUS_CANNOT_DELETE #6982195# from RtlRunPrimitiveOperationsFromCallbacksAgainstSil(...)[gle=0xd0000121]
2016-09-25 13:47:14, Info CSI 0000033f [SR] Unable to complete Verify and Repair transaction because some of the files that need to be repaired are in use. A reboot is required to complete this operation.
2016-09-25 13:47:14, Info CSI 00000340 [SR] Repairing 3 components
2016-09-25 13:47:14, Info CSI 00000341 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2016-09-25 13:47:15, Info CSI 00000342 Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll do not match actual file [l:22{11}]"uxtheme.dll" :
Found: {l:32 b:Y4xZFH3QJyvSsyr3BDFOdIVY100i0Hd8mfokD+oe9Bs=} Expected: {l:32 b:TxmrXcFz4njr5Fgy9s6qQOLfai7dyBsoKBIkQv5dN2w=}
2016-09-25 13:47:15, Info CSI 00000343 [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:22{11}]"uxtheme.dll" from store
2016-09-25 13:47:15, Info CSI 00000344 Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\System32\themeui.dll do not match actual file [l:22{11}]"themeui.dll" :
Found: {l:32 b:H3ItrCpRpmWaK3KVC7TR3Msz3/O9DqawVnXyHJVYqQs=} Expected: {l:32 b:ezMAnSU7r/+HU1wHXnVJi2oG8zQDXdwN9R4QoUK0354=}
2016-09-25 13:47:15, Info CSI 00000345 [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:22{11}]"themeui.dll" from store
2016-09-25 13:47:15, Info CSI 00000346 Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\System32\themeservice.dll do not match actual file [l:32{16}]"themeservice.dll" :
Found: {l:32 b:2XPE/luNArFUdtcrSRBYQKBNv/i8t3EXwDVNBG5sAvs=} Expected: {l:32 b:25iGwshY+vRa6hX45ChgND9z64aFxT7C6MzBBYbLCDI=}
2016-09-25 13:47:15, Info CSI 00000347 [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:32{16}]"themeservice.dll" from store
2016-09-25 13:47:15, Info CSI 00000348 Repair results created:
POQ 140 starts:
0: Move File: Source = [l:192{96}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\3c7b0dda5417d201613d00001026b010._0000000000000000.cdf-ms", Destination = [l:104{52}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\_0000000000000000.cdf-ms"
1: Move File: Source = [l:162{81}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\4ca20dda5417d201623d00001026b010.$$.cdf-ms", Destination = [l:74{37}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\$$.cdf-ms"
2: Move File: Source = [l:214{107}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\6cd212da5417d201633d00001026b010.$$_system32_21f9a9c4a2f8b514.cdf-ms", Destination = [l:126{63}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\$$_system32_21f9a9c4a2f8b514.cdf-ms"
3: Hard Link File: Source = [l:232{116}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-uxtheme_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_01d98c7b2040a1b9\uxtheme.dll", Destination = [l:70{35}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll"
4: Hard Link File: Source = [l:232{116}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-themeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_e3249be23220b37c\themeui.dll", Destination = [l:70{35}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\themeui.dll"
5: Hard Link File: Source = [l:252{126}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-themeservice_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_05f77252e20d9cfd\themeservice.dll", Destination = [l:80{40}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\themeservice.dll"

tc0566
September 25th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Followed Mr. Grim's theme tutorial that says to move the theme into windows/resources/themes and it works perfectly but this theme changer still doesn't.

AlphaOmega
September 25th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Dont think i got the resource changer from here.But im using resource changer x64 v1.0 and universal theme patcher x64 1.5.0.22
These both work perfect for me every time with any theme.At the moment im using the hud launch theme.works perfect on my windows 7x64
I have had both of these for a year or two now.cant remember how long,but as long as they worked,i have always kept them.

tonijohn
March 24th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Hey I'm new to this sort of stuff, and I need some help with this.
I installed the theme changer x64 version successfully, and resource changer and i am trying to use custom themes for it.
Except that it doesn't work at all, as if it weren't installed at all. When I try to apply the custom theme (i'm just trying to use the Black Aero given in the download), all the custom buttons and everything do not apply. The only thing that changes is my default text color (now dark gray), certain window backgrounds, and my desktop background. The start button, frames, and other buttons that I see in the custom folders do not show up at all.
I have tried rebooting several times, changing my themes to the default and back, and even reinstalling the theme changer, to no avail. If anyone could help, I'd be extremely grateful. the theme already has the 3 folders in it when downloaded, what am i doing wrong very frustrated.

erdemxl
December 18th, 2020, 01:32 PM
bi videodan geldim çok iyi kullandım ve tavsiye ediyorum

I came from a video, I used it very well and I recommend it