PDA

View Full Version : I need help. I think I'm turning into an Alcoholic !

Swirlman1
August 24th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Hey VC, I really need some help. I've been drinking pretty heavily lately and I need some tips on how best to control my urges. The problem is that I used to never drink. Instead I used to smoke weed every day. But recently I've been trying to join the Navy so I have to lay off the cannabis for a long time, so instead of toking I've been pouring shots and popping bottles. I know that drinking is a lot worse for me right now and I'm actually gaining some weight. Please if anyone has any tips for me that help control these urges I would appreciate it.

designfjotten
August 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM
hey bro, i can relate too your trubbles, i somked a lot of weed, and have started and stoped a lot of times, but always fall back to :( now i just grab a peacepipe here and then :) but what i had too do to manage too stop it, and be the master of my self again, i had too say goodby too all the friends i had that still was going strong on the puff puff pas, then i slowly just stoped thinking of it, and i was clean man again :) donno if this is something that works for every one, but think this is a good way too go if you are serious about quitting :) but lol i have gained like 20 punds since i quit then, haha, started popping my face full of candy and snax instead, but hey, everyone finds there own compensive, if that is the right word for it :)

i see you are from Texas too, and that makes me wanna help you even more, my father is from Houston, Texas, and still live, and work there 4 months at the tiime, then he is here back home for 6 weeks befor he go back again :) So yeah i'm a tex'an too :) even if it's just half way lol :D

sorry for my bad English bud, hope you understand it :)

have a good one my friend :)

gor17981
August 24th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Hope this link helps some bud, http://www.helpguide.org/mental/alcohol_abuse_alcoholism_help_treatment_prevention.htm

I purged my demons a long while ago, i still have a drink now and then but nothing like i used too, my wife turning pregnant gave me the kick up the ass i needed, and i pretty much stopped the things i was into overnight.
I know what your going through bud, and the best advice i can give is to find something you can concentrate on more than 'the bottle'.
You say your trying to join the navy right?, think about that, start hitting the gym, go for a jog when you feel the urge for a drink.
Hitting the gym is the best way to release any built up stress and what not, and when you start seeing the benefits of your gym work, trust me you will forget about the indian firewater lol
and actually you just made the biggest step forward admitting you may have a problem, and making it public, that takes a real man to bring out something like that, so hats off to you for that. :)
I wish you luck in joining the navy mate, and hope everything turns out good for you :Smile:

Big V
August 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Well I commend you for admitting you have problem as gor said that is the first step to getting it together.
I myself have had the same battles most of my life. It a tuff battle bud. As gor was suggesting find an activity to occupy yourself.
And as designfjotten was trying to say friends are the biggest influence for bad behavior. Once i quit being the party animal i found out who my real friends were and who was just there for the party. All the drinkers and smokers kinda just faded away once i quit being the life of the party

Swirlman1
August 25th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Well I just found out today that I can't join the navy or any branch of the Military for that matter. The details aren't that important. Even though I'm not under any pressure to get my act together. I still want to get clean. I think being on VC has made some improvement I have a hobby now and hopefully now that I can dedicate more time to it, maybe I'll stop wanting to drink as much. Thanks for your help guys. I'm glad I have some friends here to help me.

Predator-cz
August 26th, 2012, 10:12 PM
option n.1:
>Go to Czech Republic
>Gain nationality
>Congrats, you are no longer an alcoholic, but only average inhabitant of this country

option n.2:
>Buy StarCraft II
>Play Starcraft II
>Congrats, you don't have time for drinking
>As a matter of fact, you don't have time for a anything related to a normal, productive life either.

Anyway the main point is to get some hobby, something that keeps you busy and you like doing it.
Gaming and PC related stuff works for me, maybe it will work for you too, maybe papercrafting will suit you better...
You got the point.