PDA

View Full Version : rpcnet.exe

XxHackThisxX
March 18th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Have yah ever come across this service in administrative services>> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) net?
Normally i make it ah habit to check my services in case something new decided to randomly install on my computer.The other day i came across this service.It was not there a couple days ago.So i did multiple scans with many different antivirus and they came up clean.I then researched this service and found that it belonged to "Absolute Software Corp".It is lojack tracking software in laptops in case they are stolen. The problem was,i never installed this program.So how did i get it? Well,it was already installed in my computer.I unknowingly activated it!! How did i do that you ask? I had decided the other day to replace my cmos battery.In doing so,of course it reset my bios to the default settings and that's when it activated this service.I was shocked needless to say.I am sure it is a good thing i guess if your laptop gets stolen,but the service runs constantly and there is no way to stop it.I went so far as removing the service through the command prompt,deleting all the files associated with it and wiping any trace of it from the registry.I then rebooted and the F@#%$# came back!! The service,the registry entries,the files,everything!!! I was PEED OFF!! wtf!!..So i exhausted my research and finally came across a post that someone had gotten rid of the annoying service.how did they do it? First I had to disable the service,then delete all the files and clear the remnants of it from the registry.The trick is not to restart your computer,but go online and find an update for your bios or find the exact same update and flash your bios.So i did that,praying it would do the trick.Vualaaa! It was gone and has never came back.Thank effin god!!...This service however is legit.I personally just found it annoying running in the background without me giving it permission to do so.I don't need some tracking software on my computer running.Kindah makes me feel as i am being watched...Anyway,just thought i would share this little bit of info for those of you who know nothing about this service or if you see it just suddenly show itself in your administrative services.

Hmmm.I can not see al the font in this post for some reason....Just click to highlight and you wil

XxHackThisxX
March 18th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Ok.i guess yah might have to click to highlight the above thread in order to see it..lol..do not know what happened.

XxHackThisxX
March 18th, 2014, 07:49 PM
all fixed..lol

deviantdon
March 18th, 2014, 07:53 PM
ya i had that when i had my laptop,pain in the ass...lol but even with a desk top you still need to keep a close eye on things now a days as for as being watched and programs that install with out you knowing about it. i scan my system like every other day.:Fright:

XxHackThisxX
March 18th, 2014, 07:57 PM
i scan mine also bout every few days.This service however gave no indication that it was even running..lol.Oh well,gone now..lol