PDA

View Full Version : timedate.cpl Tools

Terrapin2190
April 3rd, 2015, 10:07 AM
Would someone be so kind as to link to a download of "TakeOwnership.reg" and "RestoreOwnership.reg" that points to all the common modding files, such as system.cpl, timedate.cpl and shellbrd? (I'm not sure if shellbrd is needed... haven't gotten that far down the rabbit hole yet haha)

I've been working with Anolis Resourcer and can't seem to change my timedate.cpl .png image files within the .cpl file. I opened timedate.cpl, saved a backup copy elsewhere on my hard drive, "Replaced" each .png image within timedate.cpl and clicked the "Load" button after pointing to each image. I then clicked save (which is oddly titled 'Backup file to' or something like that). Moved the modified timedate.cpl file to \System32 and haven't seen any changes. I'm guessing it's either because I didn't change ownership rights, didn't close Explorer.exe via task manager, or because I haven't restarted yet hehe... I also closed and re-opened Explorer after moving the file to \System 32.

Here's a link to Anolis Resourcer (a free alternative to Restorator 2007)
https://anolis.codeplex.com/
For those looking to change their system clock image or System Information images.

Any other useful information is highly appreciated :)

For newbs like me

Terrapin2190
April 3rd, 2015, 11:09 PM
Okay, looks like I broke timedate.cpl. I'm unable to view the clock and calendar by clicking on the time via taskbar. I did find a registry entry that adds/removes "Take Ownership" to the right-click context menu. I'll post a link later on.

I hate to ask... but could anyone compile the cpl's for Sub Zero Sapphire?? I'm having a bit of trouble here.

lol

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
April 3rd, 2015, 11:42 PM
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/)

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
April 3rd, 2015, 11:45 PM
http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=48540&d=1318781438

sjyUKUU1VHk

YourNumbr1Fan
April 4th, 2015, 12:46 AM
If you want THE BEST 'take ownership' thingy, you should use TakeOwnershipEx: http://winaero.com/download.php?view.16

Offers more options than a simple registry-hack. Automatically backs up whatever file you want to change permissions to; one-click take-ownership, one-click restore permissions.
The registry-hack doesn't backup the file, nor does it allow you to restore permissions with a click. Also, the registry-hack doesn't work on certain system-files (like timedate.cpl and a few others), whereas TakeOwnershipEx works on ALL of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOKG6q2aZcA&gl=CA

Terrapin2190
April 4th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I ran across TakeOwnEx yesterday and lost the website.

Luckily I created a backup of timedate.cpl before I broke it. I've replaced it with the backup in \System32 but I'm still not getting the clock/calendar popup when I click on the time. Also, whenever I save timedate.cpl (by just clicking 'Save' rather than 'Create backup') it removes all but 2 entries, therefore also breaking the file. I think it might be some kind of bug in Anolis. I'll try using Restorator again and see if it works.

YourNumbr1Fan
April 4th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I ran across TakeOwnEx yesterday and lost the website.

Luckily I created a backup of timedate.cpl before I broke it. I've replaced it with the backup in \System32 but I'm still not getting the clock/calendar popup when I click on the time. Also, whenever I save timedate.cpl (by just clicking 'Save' rather than 'Create backup') it removes all but 2 entries, therefore also breaking the file. I think it might be some kind of bug in Anolis. I'll try using Restorator again and see if it works.

Try using Resource Hacker. I know it is a little more difficult (divides the sections differently than Restorator), but it's less likely to mess you up.

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
April 4th, 2015, 11:05 AM

if is possible you can upload all of your PNG or other files here and i can replace all for you,or i can create one click.exe app for automatic replacing:Smile:

Terrapin2190
April 4th, 2015, 10:16 PM
if is possible you can upload all of your PNG or other files here and i can replace all for you,or i can create one click.exe app for automatic replacing:Smile:

Might be asking a bit much... but would it be possible to create a small application or batch script that automatically replaces files in timedate.cpl, say, if it were in the folder with the .png files? or in a folder with the cpl folder?

My timedate's still broken haha. I'll get around to fixing it sometime today. I'll upload the .png files later too. idk why, I just hate uploading things.

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
April 4th, 2015, 10:35 PM
all is possible just upload all of your files here
and i found this very easy tutorial step by step for you:Smile:
http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=48540&d=1318781438
2o6O5hDRSzY

Terrapin2190
April 5th, 2015, 12:40 AM
I followed both tutorials and different info I've found and my timedate is still wonked out lol.

I took ownership of timedate.cpl in Sys32, opened timedate in Restorator, drag n dropped all the 50xx.png files into the .PNG tab in Restorator, closed Explorer.exe and tried to save the file in System32. Upon doing so, I received an error stating the file was in use and Restorator renamed the file to timedate1.cpl.

I also tried replacing timedate.cpl with the backup I made, restarted and am still unable to click the time and get a calendar/clock popup. I am able to open the "Adjust time/date" window now though.

I might just restore my system image and see if I can get it to work. I've thoroughly cluttered things up anyways fiddling with themes lately haha.

YourNumbr1Fan
April 5th, 2015, 01:19 AM
If you're on Win 7 (64-bit), you do realize that you also have to modify/replace the timedate.cpl in SysWOW64 as well as System32, right?

I had this same exact problem in 8.1 once, never could figure out the cause.
If you're on 8.1, you just need to modify/replace the one in System32....and disable SmartScreen if you can't open the Change date and time upon clicking the taskbar.

Terrapin2190
April 5th, 2015, 01:39 AM
If you're on Win 7 (64-bit), you do realize that you also have to modify/replace the timedate.cpl in SysWOW64 as well as System32, right?

I had this same exact problem in 8.1 once, never could figure out the cause.
If you're on 8.1, you just need to modify/replace the one in System32....and disable SmartScreen if you can't open the Change date and time upon clicking the taskbar.

Ahhh okay! I just replaced timedate in sys32 and syswow64 and now the modded clock shows up in the "Adjust Time/date" window, but still not getting the calendar/clock popup when clicking on the time. I screwed something up somewhere along the lines! haha, I'll just do a fresh system image and try it again. God I love having a custom recovery partition. I think I've got a handle on how to do it now. Sorry if I've been a bit screwy with my learning process haha.

YourNumbr1Fan
April 5th, 2015, 02:11 AM
No problem, glad to help. Can't believe no one mentioned that little factoid yet. Yea, in Win 7 64-bit, several system-files' SysWOW64 duplicates must be edited along with the ones in System32. See, System32 contains 64-bit versions of files, while SysWOW64 contains the 32-bit versions. 64-bit versions of pre-Windows 8 o.s. (7, Vista) use both 64- and 32-bit files, whereas 32-bit versions can only use 32-bit files (and have no SysWOW64 system-folder). I know it seems like SysWOW64 ought to contain 64-bit versions of system-files, and System32 should contain 32-bit versions, but they are bass-ackwards in 64-bit versions of Windows o.s. Always remember, too, to not confuse them...like placing the timedate.cpl from System32 into the SysWOW64 folder, or vice-versa. Even though they are named the same, they are different versions of the same file; crossing them up is a no-no. I always, when modding files that require me to mod the dupe in SysWOW64 as well as the one in System32, create 2 folders on my desktop....I name one Sys32, the other SysWOW, copying/modding/replacing the respective files to-and-from each location/folder separately.

Hey--
Before you do a restore, try right-clicking the time on taskbar, click "Adjust date/time"....then, if a UAC box comes up, uncheck the "always ask before opening this file". Your UAC (User Account Control) settings might be blocking the new modded timedate dialog.

Terrapin2190
August 31st, 2015, 12:40 AM
As a followup on this post, I found some of the tools at door2windows.com (http://door2windows.com) come in quite handy for changing system resource files.

The most versatile program is CustomizerGod which changes most of the common files you'll find in the theme packages here. Including timedate.cpl and shellbrd.

The only thing it doesn't change is the system.cpl . I haven't found any programs on their site that will, but I have to say CustomizerGod is one versatile utility.

You can find direct download links at the bottom of download pages.

Also, if you like their programs please consider donating. :)