PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 build 10159 - Guess what?!

Dark Knight
July 1st, 2015, 05:18 PM
They brought back images on the logon screen!!!

I haven't gone through everything yet but this got me so darn excited I had to post it right away.

They must be losing sleep in Redmond because 10158 was released yesterday and 10159 released today with supposedly over 300 bug fixes.

Mr GRiM
July 1st, 2015, 07:46 PM
Yeah I am still downloading this, just been testing the last build with SiB++ and it works great, Windows 10 is starting look nice in many ways but I still want the option to customize it and sadly the Taskbar still isn't, aside from that, I am actually looking forward to 10, I also want to try this Game streaming from Xbox one to PC, as well as many other new features such as DX12 (when games start to use it).

The logon background picture is definitely a welcome return, I have to say I really like this Windows wallpaper as well, reminds me a bit of your Light Beams wallpaper, maybe someone from Redmond, saw your work and got inspired :smile:

Lord Kain
July 1st, 2015, 11:38 PM
I'll consider getting Windows 10 ONLY if they allow Aero & font customization.

Nimbi
July 2nd, 2015, 02:17 AM
Does this require an activation key, because the link i found by googling this release doesn't seem to show one. Here's the link I found;

http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-build-10159-iso/

---EDIT---

I found a link with activation keys for it. Here it is if anyone it interested.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/product-keys-for-windows-10-insider-preview-build/8596c6dc-bdb4-4e33-b6eb-bc02e8f165c1?auth=1

It should work on builds 10158 and up.

Dark Knight
July 2nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
I'll consider getting Windows 10 ONLY if they allow Aero & font customization.

Trust me, sooner or later you will use it, whether you want to or not.

Either that or jump ship to Linux.

Nimbi
July 2nd, 2015, 05:50 PM
I'm testing out Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 10159 via VMware Workstation and have a slight question. Will any of the AeroGlass builds in this url work with the build I'm testing?

http://www.glass8.eu/win_future.html

Dark Knight
July 3rd, 2015, 03:10 PM
I'm testing out Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 10159 via VMware Workstation and have a slight question. Will any of the AeroGlass builds in this url work with the build I'm testing?

http://www.glass8.eu/win_future.html

I don't know if I would be trying AeroGlass on the newer builds, especially since the builds are coming so fast and furious now, just this morning Microsoft released build 10162. That's three builds in less than a week, I doubt Big Muscle has had time to keep up with the recent builds.

Nimbi
July 3rd, 2015, 09:11 PM
Ok. Thanks. =)

Shemhamforash
July 5th, 2015, 03:12 PM
So I signed up for the Insider Program and got build 10162 installed it in VirtualBox. I have to say I like the direction they've gone, a bit plain imo, but definitely come a long way since when I first installed during a much earlier build. I like the dark taskbar and blurred start menu, it looks pretty good if you remove all the apps and decrease it's size, imo. The boot up still seems a bit buggy like in 8, where you get the splash loading screen, then black screen, than it loads, so it seems not completely smooth. I noticed that in the Appearance and Performance dialog, they don't give the option of Enable Desktop Composition, seems like theming will be more difficult to get incorporated to all desktop elements this time around. However, I've converted and absolutely love using Arch Linux but it's fun having a VM for Windows 7, 10.

Nimbi
July 6th, 2015, 12:11 AM
So I signed up for the Insider Program and got build 10162 installed it in VirtualBox. I have to say I like the direction they've gone, a bit plain imo, but definitely come a long way since when I first installed during a much earlier build. I like the dark taskbar and blurred start menu, it looks pretty good if you remove all the apps and decrease it's size, imo. The boot up still seems a bit buggy like in 8, where you get the splash loading screen, then black screen, than it loads, so it seems not completely smooth. I noticed that in the Appearance and Performance dialog, they don't give the option of Enable Desktop Composition, seems like theming will be more difficult to get incorporated to all desktop elements this time around. However, I've converted and absolutely love using Arch Linux but it's fun having a VM for Windows 7, 10.

Well, I got the .iso for build 10162, but it appears to be broken. It keeps claiming to be unable to read the part where the Product Key has to be entered and it restarts every time it fails to read it. Went back to Build 10159 and am going to try updating to build 10169 via the windows update feature in it.

Shemhamforash
July 6th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Well, I got the .iso for build 10162, but it appears to be broken. It keeps claiming to be unable to read the part where the Product Key has to be entered and it restarts every time it fails to read it. Went back to Build 10159 and am going to try updating to build 10169 via the windows update feature in it.

That would probably work to update from the previous build, one other thing I read when someone was having problems with installing from the .iso they tried one that was from an unofficial source and that worked, that'd be my only suggestion for something you could try. I'm basically waiting for the build that is RTM so I can download that and update it continuously without having to download any more .isos.

razor07
July 6th, 2015, 06:38 AM
And if Mr. Grimm will do another Evo Hud theme for it

Dark Knight
July 7th, 2015, 12:01 PM
The logon background picture is definitely a welcome return, I have to say I really like this Windows wallpaper as well, reminds me a bit of your Light Beams wallpaper, maybe someone from Redmond, saw your work and got inspired :smile:

It's nice thought Grim but somehow I highly doubt it , thanks for the kind words though :Smile:

heretikos
July 21st, 2015, 08:24 AM
I've used System Transparency on Windows 10 and it worked fine. But what's the point? No themes :( I wonder how soon these guys here will start putting some out. I don't ask for much. Black is fine... Maybe black and red. Haha...

Mr GRiM
July 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
I will knock one out for you, give me a day :smile:

Harvey Sewdin
July 21st, 2015, 11:44 AM
Let's give Win10 some time. Eventually the themes will come in. :smile:

heretikos
July 21st, 2015, 04:26 PM

Wow Grim, that'd be awesome. And I know Harvey, I know... I just can't stand the white background. It's so bright at nighttime.

Dark Knight
July 21st, 2015, 07:07 PM

You guys crack me up :laughing: ....... give me a day, I guess when you are that good anything is possible :what:

Nimbi
July 22nd, 2015, 09:55 PM
Let's give Win10 some time. Eventually the themes will come in. :smile:

I'm interested in a Win10 version of the CaseLabs theme, but one that uses the built in Win10 start menu, lol. :peace:

Mr GRiM
July 23rd, 2015, 12:34 AM
Wow Grim, that'd be awesome. And I know Harvey, I know... I just can't stand the white background. It's so bright at nighttime.

How about something like this?

I am trying to make a theme based on the default Dark Style that can be enabled in the registry for the modern UI and apps.

Should have it done in the next day or so :smile:

heretikos
July 23rd, 2015, 02:10 AM
How about something like this?

I am trying to make a theme based on the default Dark Style that can be enabled in the registry for the modern UI and apps.

Should have it done in the next day or so :smile:

GRiM... That would be so cool dude. Do that, and you sir... Will have another fan. For everyone, I'd like to note that I was able to use UltraUXThemePatcher_3.0.0 and even the 7tsp program with icon packs for 8.1... But there's still some flaws with that, and I noticed the start menu, calender, and notification area have a strange lag when popping up.... Maybe it's just me. But my point is... You can theme Windows 10 for the most part so far. I use System Transparency just fine (I prefer that, it's simple and even though the dude who made it, ditched it, I don't have any issues) and it would look great with the theme GRiM just showed... Much excited. I'm a dork.

freak69ize
July 23rd, 2015, 03:30 PM
So has anyone heard if we are gonna be able to do a fresh install of Win10 after it downloads in the background.. or will it be like upgrading from the store?? thanks

heretikos
July 23rd, 2015, 03:38 PM
So has anyone heard if we are gonna be able to do a fresh install of Win10 after it downloads in the background.. or will it be like upgrading from the store?? thanks

It will be upgrading from the Icon that should appear in windows already. I would much rather do a fresh install, but I seem to have license problems right now. Maybe after actual release, it won't be an issue. If I just mount the ISO and run it from my desktop, it does an upgrade type deal. But it's kind of cool, because all my drivers and programs are still installed, and they shockingly work. Still, fresh install would be the way to go IMO.

heretikos
July 23rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
You can find legit versions of build 10240. I have them on disk and can do a fresh install. But the license won't activate. Only if I run from desktop. But like I said, I think after official release, this won't be an issue.

Mr GRiM
July 23rd, 2015, 04:53 PM
Maybe you could do the upgrade and then save the activation tokens and use them on a clean install.

Nimbi
July 23rd, 2015, 05:18 PM
You can find legit versions of build 10240. I have them on disk and can do a fresh install. But the license won't activate. Only if I run from desktop. But like I said, I think after official release, this won't be an issue.

According to a post I found recently, now that the Windows 10 upgrade is so soon, the activation keys for the Insider Preview builds won't work anymore. The only way to get any of the Insider Preview builds now is if you use windows update inside a build that you already have activated.

Shemhamforash
July 23rd, 2015, 05:49 PM
According to a post I found recently, now that the Windows 10 upgrade is so soon, the activation keys for the Insider Preview builds won't work anymore. The only way to get any of the Insider Preview builds now is if you use windows update inside a build that you already have activated.

Unfortunately, I can't update to build 10240. I install all the updates on 10162 and it just says that it's up to date, though it's supposed show that there's an new insider build available. I'm pretty sure after the 29th they will release new official isos for the insiders. Can't be bothered until they release them.

Shemhamforash
July 23rd, 2015, 11:08 PM
It was about a week ago that I tried to to get the RTM build, this time I tried and it updated successfully. I updated from 10162, and it was not activated. Followed this Winaero article (http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-activate-windows-10-build-10240/) and it worked like a charm for the activation.

stu2009
July 24th, 2015, 06:24 AM
looks awesome mr grim ty for the hardwork :happy:

Harvey Sewdin
July 24th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I'm interested in a Win10 version of the CaseLabs theme, but one that uses the built in Win10 start menu, lol. :peace:

If I get into theming Windows 10 I think I'll port some of my themes over, including the CaseLabs theme.

July 24th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Enable Windows 10 Dark Theme using Registry Tweak

This tutorial will show you how to enable the hidden Windows 10 Dark Theme by editing the Windows Registry. We all love the way with
which Microsoft designed Windows 10. They have given preference to users and implement all those features which users are fond of.
Windows 10 comes with lots of personalization options and by some small tweaks you can make it more familiar to yourself. Microsoft
has used very appealing and decent colors in the apps provided by default in this operating system. In case of native apps like Settings,
Microsoft Edge etc., there is light-grey colored theme in these apps. Here is the theme preview:

http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Enable-Windows-10-Hidden-Dark-Theme.png

However, there is an another theme which is dark in color but its hidden by default. In this article, we’ll see how to enable this hidden
dark theme using a simple registry manipulation. Here is the dark theme preview:

http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Enable-Windows-10-Hidden-Dark-Theme-1.png

As you can see in the above screenshot, the dark theme looks cool and is easy on the eyes, so you should give it a try once. Here is
how you enable this theme:

Enable Windows 10 Dark Theme

It is always a good idea to create a system restore point first, before making any changes to the Windows Registry.
1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put regedit in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.

2. Navigate here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes

http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Enable-Windows-10-Hidden-Dark-Theme-2.png

3. At this registry location, right click over Themes key and select New -> Key. Name the newly created key as Personalize. Highlight
Personalize and come to its right pane. Right click in blank space and select New -> DWORD Value. Name the newly created DWORD
as AppsUseLightTheme if you’re on Windows 10 final build. Since you’ve created the registry DWORD, obviously it will have its Value
data set to 0. In case if the DWORD exists by default, no need to create anything. Just make sure that its Data is set to 0:

http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Enable-Windows-10-Hidden-Dark-Theme-3.png

4. Repeat step 3 for the user key as well at following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize

Once you’re done with the registry manipulation, close Registry Editor and reboot the machine.
After restarting the system, open Settings app and you’ll find the dark theme is activated now.
We hope that Microsoft will make available a settings in the Personalization app, that will let users do this easily – just the way it lets
you enable the dark theme in Edge. (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-dark-theme-in-edge-browser)

freak69ize
July 24th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Looks like one of Gregs themes. lol

heretikos
July 25th, 2015, 01:52 AM
I thought this only worked for an older build and not 10240. I couldn't get it to work. But I might have made a mistake, who knows, I'll give it another shot.

heretikos
July 25th, 2015, 01:56 AM
I've downloaded a supposedly clean version of build 10240 and if I mount the ISO (DVD would work too) and run it from my desktop, it installs and keeps Windows 10 activated and working with your 8.1 key and it doesn't use KMS or anything like that. I use an backup image I made in File History in 8.1 to revert to windows 8.1 seamlessly. Not great for my SSD, but it's ok.

Harvey Sewdin
July 25th, 2015, 02:46 AM
Nice to see that there is a dark skin built in.

Wolfy
July 25th, 2015, 03:04 AM
More grey than black imo. Any news on if win10 can be patched?

Shemhamforash
July 25th, 2015, 04:44 AM
More grey than black imo. Any news on if win10 can be patched? Yes it can be patched, UxStyle works perfect and Win 10 can actually run Windows 8.1 themes with just some visual errors. It doesn't seem like it will need all that much work for themes to be adjusted from Windows 8. Ribbon disabler works, aero glass works and I think, not completely sure, black glass enhanced could work fine too, which is actually surprising. So far, from Grim's themes, By Design is the one that seemed to work almost perfectly, others I tried just mainly have errors with the border control buttons, and of course the context menu and taskbar not being themed. I'm sure all these issues will be sorted out, which will be cool to see happen in time.

Wolfy
July 25th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Yes it can be patched, UxStyle works perfect and Win 10 can actually run Windows 8.1 themes with just some visual errors. It doesn't seem like it will need all that much work for themes to be adjusted from Windows 8. Ribbon disabler works, aero glass works and I think, not completely sure, black glass enhanced could work fine too, which is actually surprising. So far, from Grim's themes, By Design is the one that seemed to work almost perfectly, others I tried just mainly have errors with the border control buttons, and of course the context menu and taskbar not being themed. I'm sure all these issues will be sorted out, which will be cool to see happen in time.

Thanks for the info! Btw did they ever fix the glitch where patching win8 would make the volume control stop working?

July 25th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I thought this only worked for an older build and not 10240. I couldn't get it to work. But I might have made a mistake, who knows, I'll give it another shot.

i honestly can say myself if this actually work, but considering the source i'm certin are t least some builds it does work on.

now as for ribbon disabler i's rather stick with oldnewexplorer. anyone know if it works fine with 10?

July 25th, 2015, 01:57 PM
FYI got to love mickysours ad campaign for 10, NOT! "a more human experience". hahaha if you go by the look of 10 their campaign suggest that humans are flat, boring, and lifeless.

Shemhamforash
July 25th, 2015, 02:32 PM
i honestly can say myself if this actually work, but considering the source i'm certin are t least some builds it does work on. now as for ribbon disabler i's rather stick with oldnewexplorer. anyone know if it works fine with 10? I can confrim that the reg tweak for dark apps works, and the first one that has for me. So, thanks! The Windows Club is a good website, I wonder if they will release Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Win 10. OldNewExplorer does work, but I would not recommend using it because of some visual glitches. For example, the bottom details pane and ribbon disable works, but as soon as you enable one feature in OldNewExplorer, I noticed it changes the background of explorer to light blue for all the themes, and the navigation bar turns white. Seems like it just needs a few optimizations and hopefully Tihiy takes them on.

heretikos
July 25th, 2015, 05:26 PM
i honestly can say myself if this actually work, but considering the source i'm certin are t least some builds it does work on.

now as for ribbon disabler i's rather stick with oldnewexplorer. anyone know if it works fine with 10?

OldNewExplorer works just fine, unless I didn't notice any visual flaws. Seems fine to me. And I can't get the registry tweak to work on 10240, but if someone can, more power to them. I use system transparency just fine too, I only use that for transparency.

Shemhamforash
July 26th, 2015, 01:38 PM
OldNewExplorer works just fine, unless I didn't notice any visual flaws. Seems fine to me. And I can't get the registry tweak to work on 10240, but if someone can, more power to them. I use system transparency just fine too, I only use that for transparency.

I think you're right. It was just theme incompatibility that I was experiencing which is to be expected lol.
For the registry tweak just make sure you created a Key called Personalize in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes. Create 2 DWORD's called AppsUseLightTheme, the first in the aforementioned registry key, and the second in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize. And it should work or ya.

Shemhamforash
July 26th, 2015, 05:41 PM
A few more findings to share. System metrics from 8.1 don't work as they were designed, but it's possible to change the caption font to Eurostile Extended using Windows Font Changer for Win 8 (http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/09/windows8/change-the-default-font-in-windows-8-windows-8-font-changer.html/) if you want. The 7tsp Win 8.1 icon packs work great and the sfc/scannow function works as it should. However, I think that once you install an icon set it breaks compatibility with the newly developed Personalization Panel for Windows 10 (http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1839/). There are a few themes ported to 8.1 that work well and might just need to have new system metrics made to fix the window control buttons a bit. They might be worth trying out if you install Win 10 early: Alienware HQ, Annihilator, Nuclear theme pack, Rise of the Primes, Verbum Honoris and Vista 8 Mix. Most of those themes are more compatible with Ribbon Disabler rather than OldNewExplorer at this time.

July 26th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Shemhamforash (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280089-Shemhamforash) very good tp know. thanks for taking the time to test them out. it is very much appreciated.

heretikos
July 30th, 2015, 04:51 AM
I think you're right. It was just theme incompatibility that I was experiencing which is to be expected lol.
For the registry tweak just make sure you created a Key called Personalize in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes. Create 2 DWORD's called AppsUseLightTheme, the first in the aforementioned registry key, and the second in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize. And it should work or ya.
Ah crap, I was thinking it would make windows explorer dark too... Sheet....

Wolfy
August 7th, 2015, 03:03 AM
Anyone know if win7 icon and folder packs will work with win 10? Specifically Token Light icons and Token light live folders?

razor07
August 7th, 2015, 03:24 AM
Win 7 icons packs, I had no luck with, but those for Windows 8.1 worked fine.

Wolfy
August 8th, 2015, 12:26 AM
I just tried to install the 7tsp token light win8 icon pack with 7tsp gui v0.4 B (2015) and it worked but for some reason my internet wouldn't connect after that and I had to do a system restore... any clue why that happened? Maybe I can install a different way or didn't do something important first, ect. Or maybe I can just reinstall my wireless driver after the install breaks it?

Edit: oops meant to post this in the icon thread but any feedback is welcome