PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla to Remove Themes from Firefox

Shemhamforash
November 9th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Mozilla to Remove Themes from Firefox

Just saw this on the Pale Moon forum. To quote the Pale Moon creator/owner Moonchild:

As was pointed out to me on IRC it's now confirmed in bug #1222546 (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1222546): Mozilla's decision has been made to remove support for Themes from Firefox (and potentially derivative products as a result).

Benjamin Smedberg wrote: "As part of Firefox great-or-dead, we've decided to stop support for "heavyweight" themes which can do arbitrary styling and replace chrome packages."

You like your Noia, FT DeepDark and similar themes for your browser? Sorry if you're using Firefox (and direct clones) -- once this lands, support for what Mozila calls "heavyweight themes" will be gone. You'll have the Mozilla way (maybe with custom toolbar backgrounds AKA personas AKA lightweight themes) or the highway to choose from.

And in case of the inevitable questions from people who still don't understand what Pale Moon is and is not: No, this will not in any way impact Pale Moon. We pride ourselves on having a nice and growing collection of complete themes.

Date Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015
Original Thread Link: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10093
(https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/complete/)
Visit the official website for "Complete" themes that have been ported to Pale Moon: Pale Moon Complete Themes (https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/complete/)

razorsedge
November 9th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Man this is sad if they go through with it. I have been using Firefox ( well Cyberfox now for the last few years after I busted Toady's butt to make me an x64 kickass browser that would rock lol ) since version 1.0 cause I hated IE way back when.

This was the best part of firefox for me was the ability to theme it ( I just started using stylish not long ago on Toady's suggestion as well and have everything dark google, youtube D.A and tons of others ) it's just become the perfect browser for me ( Cyberfox that is lol ) plus I love the FT Deep Dark theme I could not go back to the all white crap the way it used to be :angry2:.

If this does really happen I will have to get on Toady's butt and get him to make some kind of workaround for Cyberfox to keep it dark and beautiful :givahand:

http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=71272&stc=1

http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=71273&stc=1
How can I go from something as sexy as above to the plain crap like the new Win 10 I can't do it lol

November 11th, 2015, 10:35 PM
of course they are. just like chrome, windows 10 generic, blindingly white, and F**KEN ugly

November 11th, 2015, 10:42 PM
razor (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/148478-razorsedge) same with all the dark for cg and various sites. i let the windows theme do the browser though.

Mr GRiM
November 11th, 2015, 10:52 PM
This is very sad news, I have used FT Deep dark for years and could not use Firefox without it, looks like I will have to disable updates from now on.

razorsedge
November 11th, 2015, 11:39 PM
razor (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/148478-razorsedge) same with all the dark for cg and various sites. i let the windows theme do the browser though.

Ya bud I know there is so many sites that stylish can do it's quite funny how I like everything dark and yet had not used the addon till about a month ago when Toady sent me screens of dark google and youtube and others with a message of " you know you want it" lol so i started with it. I am just about finished a couple of new icon packs and a new theme so I have only dabbled just a bit in stylish like Dark Google and Youtube, D.A and a few others as soon as I finished up these few things I was going to dive right in with stylish so I am pretty pissed at the news :hell:lol

This is very sad news, I have used FT Deep dark for years and could not use Firefox without it, looks like I will have to disable updates from now on.

That's almost the way I look at it to Grim if I have to go that far I won't ever use IE again or Edge now whatever it is Chrome is also out for me as well never really used opera might have to give that a whirl I also know there are a few other browsers out there that are lesser known might be able to test or try out, it just confuses me with all that mozilla is doing the new ui really never bothered me much I had no issue adapting to that but why get rid of the stuff that separates your browser apart from all the others. Like MS why is everyone trying to make all our sh*t look the same don't they understand people are all different and we all like different things. In fact they don't even do much when it comes to the UI's it's all us users doing all the work for customization so why remove the code already there we are the one's doing all the work for it not them lol

November 12th, 2015, 12:02 AM
i had to install firefox to test for a bug i was getting in cyberfox. i ported my profile over to ff and other than the rounded tabs i can't tell the difference. i'm fine if mozilla wants to do this, that, and the other thing to the browser but just give us the enduser to change it up to OUR liking. it's the same thing i've asked of mickysour.

Mr GRiM
November 12th, 2015, 12:07 AM
That's almost the way I look at it to Grim if I have to go that far I won't ever use IE again or Edge now whatever it is Chrome is also out for me as well never really used opera might have to give that a whirl I also know there are a few other browsers out there that are lesser known might be able to test or try out, it just confuses me with all that mozilla is doing the new ui really never bothered me much I had no issue adapting to that but why get rid of the stuff that separates your browser apart from all the others. Like MS why is everyone trying to make all our sh*t look the same don't they understand people are all different and we all like different things. In fact they don't even do much when it comes to the UI's it's all us users doing all the work for customization so why remove the code already there we are the one's doing all the work for it not them lol

Yeah I have to say PC's have become allot less fun over the last few years, I'm still dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 but I rarely use 7 any more, Windows 8 has been fairly enjoyable and stable with my current mods but Windows 10 with it's constant changes and lack of customization options has pretty much ruined the experience, I had hoped there would be some redemption for the OS from 3rd party programmers but that hope has been pretty much extinguished and I fear it will only become worse and even more locked down.

All the current Windows 10 themes will have to be completely redone when TH2 is released and it's likely to be a continuing trend, the only good thing is that Windows 7 themes can still be updated to work on Windows 10 TH2 but they still need allot of work after, Windows 8 themes don't work at all and currently WSB has no options to update them for Windows 10.

I have to say I will probably just stop supporting Windows 10 customization as it's just not worth it, as much as I was against Windows 8 when it first came out, I learned to appreciate and enjoy it just as much as I enjoyed Windows 7, in some ways even more.

November 12th, 2015, 12:14 AM
well this by this weekend i'm going to be dual booting 10 and mageia linux. i'll keep 10 until i'm comfortable with mageia. i've personally have had it with microsours crap.

razorsedge
November 12th, 2015, 12:39 AM
i had to install firefox to test for a bug i was getting in cyberfox. i ported my profile over to ff and other than the rounded tabs i can't tell the difference. i'm fine if mozilla wants to do this, that, and the other thing to the browser but just give us the enduser to change it up to OUR liking. it's the same thing i've asked of mickysour.

lol bud I did the same thing not long ago installed the nightly x64 version for a bug I had in Cyberfox, I had not had anything but Cyberfox installed for dam how long has Toady been making the browser now:laughing:, but before I wanted to point out to him about the bug I had which has been rare I wanted to see if it was a Cyberfox issue or a mozilla issue turns out had the same bug in Firefox as well so reported the bug to toady and he gave me the link to the bug report in Firefox to let them know .

Yeah I have to say PC's have become allot less fun over the last few years, I'm still dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 but I rarely use 7 any more, Windows 8 has been fairly enjoyable and stable with my current mods but Windows 10 with it's constant changes and lack of customization options has pretty much ruined the experience, I had hoped there would be some redemption for the OS from 3rd party programmers but that hope has been pretty much extinguished and I fear it will only become worse and even more locked down.

All the current Windows 10 themes will have to be completely redone when TH2 is released and it's likely to be a continuing trend, the only good thing is that Windows 7 themes can still be updated to work on Windows 10 TH2 but they still need allot of work after, Windows 8 themes don't work at all and currently WSB has no options to update them for Windows 10.

I have to say I will probably just stop supporting Windows 10 customization as it's just not worth it, as much as I was against Windows 8 when it first came out, I learned to appreciate and enjoy it just as much as I enjoyed Windows 7, in some ways even more.

Ya bud I know a number of people that love Win 8 as well it's really just what your most comfortable with, I think Win 8 turned me off more so when just regular updates would break a lot of the custom stuff and it was a lot of work to get it back again in 7 the worst that ever happens is I do updates ( I have mine tuned off to auto update and I do it manually once each month more cause I like to check what every update is for and only install the ones that I need so as to not bloat up my OS for no reason lol ) and it's once in a blue moon they will update the shell32.dll where I just have to drop back in the icons folder and swap a couple of mui files that takes just a few secs to fix.

I did happen to notice about a few weeks ago something that surprised me was back when Win 8.1 came out the market shares or basically user base for every os had Win 7 at 50% of all computers using it Win XP was second at 17% that was a surprise lol win 8.1 I believe was about 15% Win 8 was 11% and the rest was split with lower totals for Mac and Linux other operating systems of that nature.

Now here is the shocker since Win 10 has come out and lets remember that os is free Win 7 went up in userbase to 60.25% Win XP to 12%, Win8.1 to 9.25, Win 8 to 8.7, Win 10 is at only 8.25% and the rest is split again with Mac Linux and such. A free OS and yet it has lower totals then the Terrible Win 8 ( I say terrible cause it was Win 8.1 was much better lol ) I know it has not been a very long time tey for the OS but to be free and still have a lower user base then the bug filled Win 8 I think says a hell of a lot.

When it comes to MS there is only one thing I really want that's the ability to customize my OS to the way I like it and there is no way they can say they could not do it and let alone do it easier with all the advancements now in the tech world but they just want to take it away what for. Just look at skype before they bought it and even after they did it had the ability to theme it and change colors already in the application and one of the first things they did when they took it over was to remove that why it was already there lmao The only other thing I would wish for and I say wish cause I know it would never happen is to give us the ability to pick and choose what components of the os we would like to install when we are installing the OS why do we have to bloat up our machines with stuff we will never use. Remember I used to make the custom OS's when we first met bud so I know how easy it is to remove stuff from the OS to streamline it so it would not be much effort for them to do the same and have those options for us too :crazy: