Threaded View

Administrator

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    837 Thread(s)

Sex:

HUD Icons and Extras Complete Installer BETA

Warning!! For Windows 8 RTM only, not 8.1 or newer!!!

Hi VC crew, I have some good news for all you guys who made the jump to Windows 8, after much headaches and stress trying to find an easy way to install Icon packs on Windows 8 I finally decided to make my own installer with some help from our awesome Moderator/Developer ToadyShadow, big thanks to you mate, could not of done it without you.

I have tested the installer a fair amount now but I would still consider it to be a BETA so I would advise only using it on a VM (Virtual Machine) unless you are very familiar with customizing and changing system files.

One of the best things about this installer is that it does not replace any system files, it will only patch your existing files, so if you already have a modified system file or you have disabled the ribbon in explorer those modifications will not be altered.

Things to do first before using this Installer,

MAKE SURE YOU CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE
    MAKE SURE YOU YOU RUN THE INSTALLER AS ADMINISTRATOR
    MAKE SURE YOU YOU DISABLE UAC

OK once you have done that and started the installer you will have the standard agreement that will waver any blame on me if you screw your system, then on the next screen you will have a list of components that you can install, one of those being the shell32.dll that I have made separate because of the problems it causes with sound cards and it also just does a few funny things in general if it's modified in any way.

Saying that though, it's one of the best parts of this Icon pack so go ahead and install it anyway

OK so once you have made your selection go ahead and start the installer, when the installer starts it will start making copies of the necessary files and then it will stop software protection and close explorer, at this time your screen will go blank aside from the installer in the middle of the screen, the progress bar will be at the end and you may get worried and think that it has got stuck, don't worry though as the installer has pretty much done it's job now and is now just starting some batch scripts to initialize the the file patching and replacement and backup of the original file.

The files are going to take 1-2 minutes to patch, after all the files are patched you will see a small window pop up to advise you "Restart Computer to Complete Changes" but this will not initiate shutdown, just click OK to close the notification window.

After you close that window the installer will restart Software protection and will clear the icon and thumbnail cache and also make a one time batch file to run on reboot to clear the cache one more time.

You will then be taken to the last screen of the installer and you have a few post install options to choose from, these options include Restoring all of the system files (in case you changed your mind) using sfc /scannow, there is also an option to restore a single system file from the pack (in case you find that things are just going right), then you have the option to exit the installer and go back to the desktop or the last option is to reboot now.

So anyway that will give you a means to revert any changes made by the installer especially if half way through you start to see error messages pop up, you can also run the post install options by running the installer again and leaving all the check boxes unchecked and going through to the end of the installer.

So anyway there you have it, if you have any suggestions or think of any other useful options then please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Enjoy

Update 16-02-2013:

I have updated the installer v2 and added a new option to have the details pane on top in explorer as I know this is something allot of Windows 7 users have enjoyed, I made this even better then Winows 7 though by changing the resize bar to the bottom of the details pane so now you can grab it at the bottom and pull it down, if you want to try it out load the installer and select custom install and select just the shell32.dll topshell option and install, you can go back to the bottom shell (details pane) by running the installer again and selecting the bottom shell option.
    Attached Images       
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr GRiM; August 28th, 2016 at 09:40 PM.

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
    Please Post in English or at least include English Translations

Thread Information