Thread: Anyone want to have a bash at this?

Threaded View

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    29 Thread(s)

Sex:

Anyone want to have a bash at this?

Just installed a game to the new laptop. When I went to run the game I got a pop up window (completely blanked out) so I couldn't tell what was asking for permission to run.

Hit task manager and found Fondue.exe which is a “Windows Features on Demand UX” and there's stuff all about this process online. So I hit skip and get a warning about apps or whatnot not working properly, but who cares. The game starts, everything works as it should and I'm online playing away.

A few hours later after dinner I decide I'll play some more, hit my games exe and this same crap pops up on screen again. Okay now that really annoys me so I set about finding out exactly what it is and how to nuke the bloody thing as my game obviously works fine without it, so Windows can go stuff itself.

First I find its a process that has something to do with DirectPlay and can be turned on or off via Windows Features ...
    Legacy Components (DirectPlay) - DirectPlay was a part of the DirectX application programming interface. It used to be a library designed for network communication. Unless you are playing old games which were developed prior to 2008 and require this library, you should be OK with removing it.

Okay so I go to Windows Features and low and behold Legacy Components is already unticked and not running? hrmm

Then I find another site, translated from German (that's how little information there is about this "service") and some guy finds the command line to enable or disable it: C: \ Windows \ System32> Fondue.exe / disable-feature: NetFx3 / hideux: all

So I try it and am met with this:

Now I'm stuck, I mean I could just nuke the exe from system32 but I'm a little wary of doing that. Any ideas?

Cheers.
    Last edited by idle; October 12th, 2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added pic

Thread Information