Threaded View

Elite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nude Dude View Post
    microsour is pushing something they and most of us have ALWAY said don't do, and that is an in-place upgrade. i personally still believe if you are going to install a new os you must do a clean install on a PROPERLY wiped drive, and NOT run the new os over the top of the old one.
    I agree. But, from what MS sources have said so far, it's exactly that (an in-place upgrade) that will have to be done, at least as a one-time thing, in order to 'ID' your computer so that you can then clean-install without needing a key over the future lifetime of your computer. It seems that there's no way around that first-time upgrade, and it has to be done within a year, starting July 29th 2015. Otherwise we would have to buy a key. Pirated versions of Windows won't get to upgrade---they say. They'll need a legit copy of 7 (and have it updated to SP1) or 8/8.1 to be able to upgrade. Only legit copies of the previous versions of Windows will upgrade for free.

So, after that one-time upgrade, your machine is IDd---only that machine and whatever other machines you've legitimately upgraded---and future installs to that (those) machine(s) are 'locked-in'.....Unless, of course, you do something drastic like replace the motherboard, at which time you'll likely have to call MS to re-activate. And new machines will have Win 10 OEM 'baked in'.

That's my understanding so far. I'm hoping that they'll just make Windows 10 .iso files available, without us needing to hack/convert the .ESD files. I can't see why they wouldn't.

Attachment 70265

Gabriel Aul (@GabeAul)
    Last edited by YourNumbr1Fan; June 4th, 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Thread Information