Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing themes on Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607 Build 14393.10 Redstone One Share

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    I am NOT new to this... I've used custom themes since XP. I've used UxStyle since 7.

Whenever I attempt to activate a custom theme, I get a "Please Wait" screen, followed by blackness, followed by another "Please Wait" screen which will stay up hours if I let it (I let it sit overnight once). Sometimes when I apply the theme, I get "Please Wait", blackness, and then am logged out. When I log back in, I get the infamous black screen where the cursor occasionally spins and nothing can be done. Whichever of these things happen, the solution is always the same: recovery mode followed by system restore.

I've tried with UxStyle and with UltraUxThemePatcher v3.1.0/3.1.5, each with Theme Signature Bypass. I've tried repeatedly. I always reboot after, confirm the files are correctly patched with UltraUxThemePatcher, and the result is always the same: one of those two 'system is screwed' scenarios above. This is a new install of 1607/14393.576. I've verified I'm on the right build. It's a legit Pro license. SFC checks out fine just prior to patching the dlls. I'm baffled. I can't find reports of anyone else experiencing this upon applying themes. I only hear about the black screen happening when someone uninstalls UxStyle and reboots with a custom theme still enabled. I've tried RS1 and a few other known-good 1607-compatible themes.

Has ANYONE had this happen to them? Did you find a resolution? There's nothing I can possibly be doing wrong here. It's just too simple and I've done it too many times before. The ONLY thing I can think of as making a difference: the fact that I'm using the real Administrator account. I'm sure some of you are, too, though...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    148 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphonzo View Post
    I am NOT new to this... I've used custom themes since XP. I've used UxStyle since 7.

Whenever I attempt to activate a custom theme, I get a "Please Wait" screen, followed by blackness, followed by another "Please Wait" screen which will stay up hours if I let it (I let it sit overnight once). Sometimes when I apply the theme, I get "Please Wait", blackness, and then am logged out. When I log back in, I get the infamous black screen where the cursor occasionally spins and nothing can be done. Whichever of these things happen, the solution is always the same: recovery mode followed by system restore.

I've tried with UxStyle and with UltraUxThemePatcher v3.1.0/3.1.5, each with Theme Signature Bypass. I've tried repeatedly. I always reboot after, confirm the files are correctly patched with UltraUxThemePatcher, and the result is always the same: one of those two 'system is screwed' scenarios above. This is a new install of 1607/14393.576. I've verified I'm on the right build. It's a legit Pro license. SFC checks out fine just prior to patching the dlls. I'm baffled. I can't find reports of anyone else experiencing this upon applying themes. I only hear about the black screen happening when someone uninstalls UxStyle and reboots with a custom theme still enabled. I've tried RS1 and a few other known-good 1607-compatible themes.

Has ANYONE had this happen to them? Did you find a resolution? There's nothing I can possibly be doing wrong here. It's just too simple and I've done it too many times before. The ONLY thing I can think of as making a difference: the fact that I'm using the real Administrator account. I'm sure some of you are, too, though...
    Did your pc come with Windows 10 pre-installed or have you upgraded or clean installed? Just fishing around, I can't really think of anything that might work other than doing a clean install. You could try using the media creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10 to create a bootable disk.

VC Ambassador

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    249 Thread(s)

Sex:

I have only heard of things like that happening to those who try to run a theme designed for a specific build on other Windows builds, for example you cannot run RTM or TH2 themes on the Anniversary update (RS1). Are you sure you are not doing that?

Make sure any and all security tools are disabled before installing the theme patcher and such also, some security, antivirus and antimalware software inadvertently messes with it.
    Last edited by Dark Knight; 12-31-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Visit My Deviant Art Page : http://darkknight2264.deviantart.com/

I believe in karma which means I can say all the bad things I want to you and just assume that you deserve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Thanks for the replies. I've installed Windows 10 from scratch, slipstreamed to latest build. It's an otherwise totally unmodified package.

Yes, I'm absolutely certain I've only tried using 1607/14393 themes. I don't use any security garbage except an on-demand scanner when I require it so nothing like that could be interfering.

Banned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    451 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Thanks for the replies. I've installed Windows 10 from scratch, slipstreamed to latest build. It's an otherwise totally unmodified package.

Yes, I'm absolutely certain I've only tried using 1607/14393 themes. I don't use any security garbage except an on-demand scanner when I require it so nothing like that could be interfering.
    use dhjohns all-in-one installer on a fresh install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    It works. Thanks to you, and to dhjohns, of course. I'm at a loss still. The hashes of the modified uxtheme.dll and other .dlls matches the ones of when I used UltraUXThemePatcher. Whatever. Just glad it works.

Edit: Now my only issue is the theme color reverts to blue whenever I lock the PC. I hit the lock shortcut and the screen flashes blue for ~100ms, then shows the lock screen, I unlock and am left with this:

Any ideas?

Edit2: This is kind of interesting... The blunt object approach of changing the value of "Color 3" to the value used by the theme does not work--it still reverts to the blue color, though if you select the "Color 3" blue swatch in the selection menu, you get the gray color I specified in the registry.
    Last edited by ralphonzo; 12-31-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information