I am NOT new to this... I've used custom themes since XP. I've used UxStyle since 7.

Whenever I attempt to activate a custom theme, I get a "Please Wait" screen, followed by blackness, followed by another "Please Wait" screen which will stay up hours if I let it (I let it sit overnight once). Sometimes when I apply the theme, I get "Please Wait", blackness, and then am logged out. When I log back in, I get the infamous black screen where the cursor occasionally spins and nothing can be done. Whichever of these things happen, the solution is always the same: recovery mode followed by system restore.

I've tried with UxStyle and with UltraUxThemePatcher v3.1.0/3.1.5, each with Theme Signature Bypass. I've tried repeatedly. I always reboot after, confirm the files are correctly patched with UltraUxThemePatcher, and the result is always the same: one of those two 'system is screwed' scenarios above. This is a new install of 1607/14393.576. I've verified I'm on the right build. It's a legit Pro license. SFC checks out fine just prior to patching the dlls. I'm baffled. I can't find reports of anyone else experiencing this upon applying themes. I only hear about the black screen happening when someone uninstalls UxStyle and reboots with a custom theme still enabled. I've tried RS1 and a few other known-good 1607-compatible themes.

Has ANYONE had this happen to them? Did you find a resolution? There's nothing I can possibly be doing wrong here. It's just too simple and I've done it too many times before. The ONLY thing I can think of as making a difference: the fact that I'm using the real Administrator account. I'm sure some of you are, too, though...