Threaded View

VC Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbi View Post
    Interesting. Sadly mine is OEM so there's no OS disc [not even a repair disc], and I don't really feel comfortable with downloading one from anywhere if it's not an officially activated version [I became rather paranoid when it comes to OS's since my dad kept installing pirated versions on my old laptops years ago and causing more problems than anything else, . I don't let anyone touch my computer now, ]. Also don't have anything large enough to make a repair disc out of. So sadly I can't really make use of this method [that I know of]. But it's definitely good to know in case I ever do get something large enough to make a repair disc with. Thanks for the info.
    That's too bad man. I understand your concern. Hopefully this info will help.

There's plenty of boot disc methods out there that are perfectly safe (as far as the boot process goes). Granted, a boot disc will give you the power to fix and totally destroy your current setup, that is true. Just need to be careful and not mistype commands.

For what it's worth, the disc image I posted came from these links:

Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK)

WinPE = Windows Preinstallation Environment
    WinPE: Create USB Bootable drive

All official Microsoft distributions.

I usually use Rufus as my main tool for burning disc images to bootable media (mostly to USB). If you intend to mostly use discs (CD/DVD) then ImgBurn is my tool of choice there. Both tools are 100% free and have always been so.

(sorry for all the external links... not trying to advertise... just trying to help)
    I have never experienced any malware/adware from any of these tools mentioned above.

As for the size, 230 MB is small enough for any media. Just larger than I'm used to, since back in the days of DOS and Win98 boot discs were 5-10 MB at the most. Any CD/DVD, or USB stick 256MB or larger would suffice.

Hope this clarifies some things. I'll update the OP so the origin of the boot disc can be known.
    Last edited by TheArkive; May 24th, 2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Fixed links for Windows ADK link and WinPE instructions on how to create bootable USB media

Thread Information