Okay so I got the dark theme installed and it was all wonderful and great, and then the Anniversary update came. My computer has been stuck in an endless failing update loop and it's been driving me nuts for months, since it turns itself on every night now just to fail the same updates again and again. I really would prefer not to do a fresh install if it can be helped, so maybe if I can just follow a guide somewhere on how to revert all the changes I can install this stupid update and not have this issue anymore.

The Microsoft support forums were (of course) completely useless up until earlier today when someone suggested this:
open C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\aero and revert any renaming you did to aerolite.msstyles file - after this correction update should install perfectly
I'm having some trouble renaming the files even though I gave myself ownership to them.

So yeah I'm a little lost and would just like some help with this. I probably should've asked for help here first instead of going to Microsoft, that would've been...smarter.