PDA

View Full Version : How to restore icons to default

johnsmith2020
January 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hi,

This is very good forum with good quality creations.

Before couple of days I tried many icon themes and all went good but when I tried to go to default icon then only some of the folder icon from desktop and from system drive remain colourful and all other folder got restored to their default colour. I have already taken backup fo three files those are imageres.dll, imagesp1.dll and shell32.dll.
I have attached screenshots of my system, pls teel me what had gone wrong and who I can solve it? :idk: I dont know how to use them? So this problem can be solved.

ViruS
January 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
did you try to clear the icon cache?

there it is how it works:

Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.

2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT

8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

hope that helps, greetz ViruS

Mr GRiM
January 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
If that doesn't work then try a disk cleanup and delete the thumbnail cache and if all else fails open an elevated command prompt and type sfc /scannow and hit enter, if you do the last one all system files that you have customized will be restored to default and that includes the files that were patched to run 3rd party themes.

johnsmith2020
January 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM
It works!!!

When I delete Thumbnail cache all icon got restored. :cool:

Thnx :-D