View Full Version : Midnight For Windows 7

Mr GRiM
February 3rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Introducing Midnight For Windows 7

Theme Includes:

Midnight Visual Style
Start Orb
Shell32 images for Control panel
Desktop Gadgets (Customized by Sergio Garcia of SG9 Designs)
VistaGlazz to patch your system files
FullGlass Mod for full transparency
Eurostyle font for System Tray Clock (Optional)

Full Glass Blue Icons not included

Download here 44346

To install this theme you will have to patch some dll's first, I have started using VistaGlazz (http://www.codegazer.com/vistaglazz/downloads/) and it works wll and is x86 and x64 compatible.

For a Tutorial on how to install themes please go http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27909-How-to-Apply-Custom-Themes-in-Windows-7

To have your taskbar centered like in the image above.

All you need to do is unlock the taskbar and right click on it go to toolbars/add new, and them make a new folder somewhere and call it blank for example, then select that folder for your new toolbar.

You then need to right click on the new toolbar and select view text/title and deselect those 2 options now repeat all those steps(you can use the same blank folder again) and place the blank toolbars on either side of your main Taskbar group and slide the taskbar to a central position.

Once you have it where you want lock the taskbar again (note that it move a little when you lock the taskbar so some fine tuning may be needed), and now you have a centered Taskbar.

If you like you can also make the blank folder hidden to remove it from view.

Taskbar will not display blue bar if you have your options set to never combine.

Always combine, hide labels should be selected.

Also if you are using any extra Toolbars you need to make sure they are displaying small icons, but only if you have them all on a single row, if you have your taskbar expanded to 2 bars it will display normally again.

Twisted-Devil
February 3rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Another super theme from you here Loving the taskbar :cool:

bgjerlow designs
February 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Looking as good as always m8 :D

alphamatic
February 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.
The great teacher inspires.

Thanks again Mr Grim :party2: :party2: :party2:

VannMann
February 3rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
love the theme, is there anyway to add the taskbar clock like in the black horizon theme?

Mr GRiM
February 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
love the theme, is there anyway to add the taskbar clock like in the black horizon theme?

What do you mean, like with the large clock without the date under it?

bgjerlow designs
February 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
How do you guys like the gadgets? :p

Mr GRiM
February 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
What an absolute stunner Mark! Thank you so much!

PS: Do you have a local download link please mate!?

First post updated :tu:

Sonystar
February 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Mark you are my man of the year!! :cool:
I had so many troubles with the another shell 32 images bmp`s from the black glass forum and now i try your shell32 replacement images and it works perfectly at the 1st attempt.

Thank you very very much for the shell32 images :f:
And how ever your new theme is a dream!!

Mr GRiM
February 3rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
Mark you are my man of the year!! :cool:
I had so many troubles with the another shell 32 images bmp`s from the black glass forum and now i try your shell32 replacement images and it works perfectly at the 1st attempt.

Thank you very very much for the shell32 images :f:
And how ever your new theme is a dream!!

That's good to hear mate, I tested them on x86 and x64 before I put them in the pack so I was pretty sure they would work.

nvader
February 4th, 2010, 12:41 AM
My new favorite...Thank you Mr Grim

VannMann
February 4th, 2010, 01:53 AM

What do you mean, like with the large clock without the date under it?
Yes, that is exactly what i was talking about. like in your black horizon theme. :f:

giveupzn
February 4th, 2010, 02:36 AM
lol ;) I can't say anything,just use it on my computer!

3chiflones
February 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM
terrific theme, thanks mr.Grimm, you're the best skinner in the world!

:cool:

giveupzn
February 4th, 2010, 03:12 AM
:"> how i can replace the timedate.cpl file??

Mr GRiM
February 4th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Take ownership of the original and give yourself full control and rename it to timedate.cpl.bak then paste the new one in there and log off and log back on and it should have changed.

desi
February 4th, 2010, 07:00 AM
awsome theme Mr Grim..

I've a request to make.

Can u make the gadget with cpu, ram, disk information horizontal? like a single bar with one row?

Cumps and again, tks for all themes

Mr GRiM
February 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM
awsome theme Mr Grim..

I've a request to make.

Can u make the gadget with cpu, ram, disk information horizontal? like a single bar with one row?

Thanks, glad you like the theme but I'm sorry I didn't make the gadget I just customized the appearance and I don't know how to change the actual layout.

desi
February 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM
awsome theme Mr Grim..

I've a request to make.

Thanks, glad you like the theme but I'm sorry I didn't make the gadget I just customized the appearance and I don't know how to change the actual layout.

Ok, tks anyway.
:cool:

giveupzn
February 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Take ownership of the original and give yourself full control and rename it to timedate.cpl.bak then paste the new one in there and log off and log back on and it should have changed.
THANKS!! I change it now!

snake666
February 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Great theme as usual.. Thanks!

ilovednb
February 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
damn nice theme that is, but wish it was with red color in-sted of blue (em kinda a red person i am using the extrem red one at the momernt very nice also).

Sonystar
February 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hey Mark, work the Shell32 Images only with this Theme or with any other Theme?

And it's no matter what Icon package I had installet or must it be the blue glass Iconpack package, because my favorite Iconpack is the ultimate blue Icons.

Mr GRiM
February 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hey Mark, work the Shell32 Images only with this Theme or with any other Theme?

And it's no matter what Icon package I had installet or must it be the blue glass Iconpack package, because my favorite Iconpack is the ultimate blue Icons.

You can use those with any theme or Icon pack, if your going to use the installer for the Ultimate Icon pack then it would be best if you added the shell32 images before you installed it to save yourself some time, that is why I only included the images this time instead of the Icon pack because I knew everyone likes different icons and it would be easier this way.

Sonystar
February 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Thank you very much for this very good message :cool:

February 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Very much it was pleasant, a beautiful theme, the author - the good fellow
Many thanks for the done work

ps it is a pity it has not turned out anything with menu animation

snake666
February 5th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Love the theme bt computer runs slower an gives a message saying do i want to run windows 7 in basic.. never had this problem b4 with any Mr Grim theme.. is it the cpu or graphics card that cant handle it?? Any help plz!

lefty1981
February 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM
here is a modified gadget by me!

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets

Mr GRiM
February 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Just edited your post left and made an installer for your gadget.

If you want to do it yourself then open up an installer archive for one of your gadgets with 7-Zip and delete the contents and then add the contents of your gadget folder and then rename the installer to whatever you want it to be called.

lefty1981
February 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
i have forgotten to do this!:(

deadpitbox
February 6th, 2010, 08:36 PM
first of all..awesome theme!! :cool: :cool:

question : i have no idea what happened with my taskbar..i tried backtracking everything i did so i could figure out what i did wrong but no success :idk: :idk:

MTND3W88
February 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM
thanks MR Grim......I learned something new too.

Mr GRiM
February 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM

question : i have no idea what happened with my taskbar..i tried backtracking everything i did so i could figure out what i did wrong but no success :idk: :idk:

lol it's OK all you must of done is double click on the task manager boarder, just double click it again to bring it back.

deadpitbox
February 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM
in taskmanager, go to applications
bottom right, click on new task
type in C:\Windows\explorer.exe and hit OK

see if this brings it back?

all my task manager tabs/menu are missing..so i cant hit applications on my task manager :(

deadpitbox
February 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM

lol it's OK all you must of done is double click on the task manager boarder, just double click it again to bring it back.

holy cow..now i really feel hella :D'oh!: hahaha...it worked!! :D ..tnx mr.grim :cool: :cool:

Mr GRiM
February 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM

holy cow..now i really feel hella :D'oh!: hahaha...it worked!! :D ..tnx mr.grim :cool: :cool:

No worries mate, I did it myself once before and wondered what the hell I had done lol

fatalizer
February 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM
i love this theme!!! :cool:

if someone (like me) has got an ATI, this is the gadget for monitoring temperature,fan speed, gpu-ram load... Also works with nvidia

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CQLFLKH5

or

Tieske
February 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hmmm this theme isn't working for me.
Ik keep the white background. I installed it just like the other themes and they are working, except this one.
What am i doing wrong?

Mr GRiM
February 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Hmmm this theme isn't working for me.
Ik keep the white background. I installed it just like the other themes and they are working, except this one.
What am i doing wrong?

No idea mate, if your other themes work and you did this one the same then it should be working, no one else is having this problem.

Mr GRiM
February 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM
You have changed the theme folder name to Midnight Theme and it is meant to be just Midnight, rename it and it will work.

Tieske
February 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
You have changed the theme folder name to Midnight Theme and it is meant to be just Midnight, rename it and it will work.

You really are a god! Tnx it works!
very nice theme m8 :D

fatalizer
February 8th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I have a question for u guys...

There is the opportunity to change only the "paper" colour in office application??? I tried to change the option in word, excell... but when I select no color it still balck.

this is an example

http://i49.tinypic.com/3307lac.jpg

Mr GRiM
February 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I have a question for u guys...

There is the opportunity to change only the "paper" colour in office application??? I tried to change the option in word, excell... but when I select no color it still balck.

this is an example

http://i49.tinypic.com/3307lac.jpg

Go to the advanced appearance setting and change the window colour to white.

fatalizer
February 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thx man!

radu6000
February 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Love the theme bt computer runs slower an gives a message saying do i want to run windows 7 in basic.. never had this problem b4 with any Mr Grim theme.. is it the cpu or graphics card that cant handle it?? Any help plz!
Same problem without message,it seems that when you move the windows dwm.exe (desktop window manager) keep the cpu at < 90% for short time (5-10 ) sec.

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
actions speak louder than words.......this is avirtual world so........Thankyou Mr Grim and all contributors.........

sol88
February 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM
im trying to shutdown the start up animation or at leat move the folder but cant says its running ...checked task manager cant see it...could someone point me please..........thanx

thewizard017
February 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks Mr Grim, awesome theme as usual, you're really a god!

ImmoraL
February 17th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I am a newbie to the site and since discovering it through Deviantart, I eagerly check every day to see if any new themes have been posted. Even if they are not exactly to my taste I still appreciate the amount of work that goes into every one, so many thanks to Mr GRiM and to each and every one of you who work so hard to make such wonderful themes.

Unfortunately, I am having similar problems with the Midnight theme as snake666. Shortly after installing it my cursor began to move very erratically around my screen and a message came up about reverting to the Windows basic theme. As I didn't want to change from the new theme I had just installed I cancelled it and basically ignored it, however every time I try to use this theme the cursor becomes erratic and my whole system becomes sluggish, therefore making it almost impossible to use.

Any ideas/suggestions/help would be most welcome as this is (so far) my favourite theme.

FlangouS
February 19th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Now I belive in love at first sight...
I saw it , I Loved it!
Many many thanx for this theme... :D

And it looks likeeeee.... THIS!

PS: I also took the .png icon file of Photoshop and made it an .ico if you dont mind... loved it as well ... :D

ra_hall
February 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM
I am having trouble with these things:

1.Black Media Player (What do I do?)
2.Shell32 Replacement images ( I dont understand the instructions and cant find a place to download Relocator)
3. The Midnight orb thing for the start menu how do I change the start button?

I'm running on a 64-bit system can anyone help me please?

ra_hall
February 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
I saw it , I Loved it!

PS: I also took the .png icon file of Photoshop and made it an .ico if you dont mind... loved it as well ... :D
That's winamp and I think messenger on the task bar right? How did you get those icons?

Mr GRiM
February 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
I am having trouble with these things:

1.Black Media Player (What do I do?)
2.Shell32 Replacement images ( I dont understand the instructions and cant find a place to download Relocator)
3. The Midnight orb thing for the start menu how do I change the start button?

I'm running on a 64-bit system can anyone help me please?

1. To use the mediaplayer skin you need to take ownership of the original file in either System32 or SysWow64 if your using x64 and then rename it .bak, then copy and paste the custom wmploc.dll.

2. Same thing for the Shell32.dll, Take ownership but this time make a copy of the original and paste it on your desktop and the use Restorator to open it and replace the images in Bitmaps with the ones provided, then save that and rename the original .bak and copy and paste the new one then restart to take effect.

3. To change the Start Button use this program http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7 ... r-released (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-start-button-changer-released)

Skajaquada
February 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Two computers, three monitors and one kick ass theme. Thanks for the awesome theme man!!

http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/current_2_21.jpg
http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/current_box2_2_21.jpg
http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/full_clean_2_21.jpg

I do have one question/request though. Can I get the psd for these buttons? I am trying to skin and/or modify a couple of more things and it would be great to have the buttons match exact. :)

http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/buttons2.png

Mr GRiM
February 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Two computers, three monitors and one kick ass theme. Thanks for the awesome theme man!!

http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/current_2_21.jpg
http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/current_box2_2_21.jpg
http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/full_clean_2_21.jpg

I do have one question/request though. Can I get the psd for these buttons? I am trying to skin and/or modify a couple of more things and it would be great to have the buttons match exact. :)

http://www.easclan.com/Skajaquada/dropbox/buttons2.png

I wish I could help you out but I'm afraid I didn't keep any of the psd's for the Media player skins sorry.

This is another one I just made but it's not exactly the same.

Skajaquada
February 23rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
It's alright. That psd combined with some creative copy/paste action gives me this. :)

Mr GRiM
February 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
It's alright. That psd combined with some creative copy/paste action gives me this. :)

Looks good :tu:

Koloblicin17
February 27th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I give in, i have tried to edit the Shellstyle.dll 3 times with Resourcer. Each time i replace all of the images, save the edited dll and replace it in the Sys32 and Syswow directories. I restart my computer and my right click no longer works...... I usually try not to bother ppl and ask for help but i am at my wits end. All replies are greatly appreciated.

Koloblicin

Mr GRiM
February 27th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I give in, i have tried to edit the Shellstyle.dll 3 times with Resourcer. Each time i replace all of the images, save the edited dll and replace it in the Sys32 and Syswow directories. I restart my computer and my right click no longer works...... I usually try not to bother ppl and ask for help but i am at my wits end. All replies are greatly appreciated.

Koloblicin

Not sure what your doing wrong mate, maybe you could try one of my custom Icon packs and replace the shell32 images and then use the icon installer.

If you do run into problems then an easy way to fix things is by opening an elevated command prompt and running sfc /scannow.

Koloblicin17
February 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Not sure what your doing wrong mate, maybe you could try one of my custom Icon packs and replace the shell32 images and then use the icon installer.

If you do run into problems then an easy way to fix things is by opening an elevated command prompt and running sfc /scannow.

Thank you very much. I installed your icon package with the 64bit installer and then the theme applied nicely. I appreciate your advice. :)

lefty1981
February 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
:party2:

Mr GRiM
February 28th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Thank you very much. I installed your icon package with the 64bit installer and then the theme applied nicely. I appreciate your advice. :)

Your welcome, glad it worked for you.

darkcold
March 1st, 2010, 10:19 PM
i love this theme!!! :cool:

if someone (like me) has got an ATI, this is the gadget for monitoring temperature,fan speed, gpu-ram load... Also works with nvidia

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CQLFLKH5

or

Does this gadget require any additional programs to get the temperature to show up? It was able to detect my ATI graphics but the temperatures all just read 0 degrees

DanFriday
March 1st, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hi ! Newbie here. I tried to install this theme several times and keep getting "Application not found " message. Could someone post a short tutorial on installing this? I'm fairly new to windows 7 and installing themes etc.... Thanks .
( The" Complete Idiots Guide to Windows 7 " has not come out yet)

lefty1981
March 2nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
watch this!

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=457 (http://virtualcustoms.net/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=457)

FlangouS
March 5th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I saw it , I Loved it!

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2141/bgnew2.jpg
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9241/bgnew1.jpg

That's winamp and I think messenger on the task bar right? How did you get those icons?

This is an icon pack I got from deviantart.com ===> HYDROPRO (http://mediadesign.deviantart.com/art/HydroPRO-HP-Dock-Icon-Set-71776088)...
I think that the download file from deviantart contains a .rar only with .png images and not .ico...
But with the png images and IcoFX (http://icofx.ro/) I managed to create the .ico! :party2:

humeer
March 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
:D :D :D

stin
March 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
How do you guys like the gadgets? :p
I love the gadgets,especially the computer status side show,with radio-to kool.Now I wish I could just make everything else look just like the way it is pictured above.There is no instructions included in mine on how to get blue fonts,or the taskbar to look like that.I applied the Theme and all I got was the wall paper.I used the vista glazz to patch with.So I can not figure out what is wrong.I have never done this before,I guess everybody thinks if your here then you should know this stuff.I wish I did or someone could give me some clear cut instructions.

stin

Loki
March 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM
hi Mr Grim,

Love this theme! Great work.

Question:
1. do you have the dark blue side panel from the system info that was in the Windows 7 beta. To replace the light blue one (I wish MS had at least given the choice in a theme to have either the light or dark blue)
2. Slight issue, the checked boxes are really hard to know if checked.

Great work :cool:

Mr GRiM
March 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM
hi Mr Grim,

Love this theme! Great work.

Question:
1. do you have the dark blue side panel from the system info that was in the Windows 7 beta. To replace the light blue one (I wish MS had at least given the choice in a theme to have either the light or dark blue)
2. Slight issue, the checked boxes are really hard to know if checked.

Great work :cool:

I forgot all about that one but I managed to dig it up for you from one of my discs.

Loki
March 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks! :nerd:

Klaw117
March 13th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Very, VERY nice theme! I love it! However, I have a few questions:

I tried using Restorator to edit the bitmap images of the shell32.dll files in the Full Glass Blue Icon Installers in order to change the Control Panel images. However, after using the installer, only the icons changed. The Control Panel was relatively the same. Here's a picture:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5807/controlpanel.png

My second issue is the the wmploc.dll file. I'm getting this error:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5145/wmperror.png
I think this may be an issue with my computer specifically because a few months ago, I installed several unreleased hotfixes that changed some system files (don't ask how I got them). I think my Windows Media Player files were changed, so I may not be able to use the new Windows Media Player skins. However, if I'm wrong and this is related to something else and you know the solution, please let me know.

alienxpert
March 13th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I am new here so hello :D to all of you. Nice piece of work with the themes Mr GRiM :cool:

Mr GRiM
March 15th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Very, VERY nice theme! I love it! However, I have a few questions:

I tried using Restorator to edit the bitmap images of the shell32.dll files in the Full Glass Blue Icon Installers in order to change the Control Panel images. However, after using the installer, only the icons changed. The Control Panel was relatively the same. Here's a picture:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5807/controlpanel.png

My second issue is the the wmploc.dll file. I'm getting this error:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5145/wmperror.png
I think this may be an issue with my computer specifically because a few months ago, I installed several unreleased hotfixes that changed some system files (don't ask how I got them). I think my Windows Media Player files were changed, so I may not be able to use the new Windows Media Player skins. However, if I'm wrong and this is related to something else and you know the solution, please let me know.

If you have Restorator then you can change the version info and then it should work.

Klaw117
March 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
If you have Restorator then you can change the version info and then it should work.
Thanks for the response, but when I use Restorator to open the wmploc.dll file in the Theme Optional Extras folder, I can't change anything. I tried to go into the section labeled "Version" and then I tried to change the sections labeled "Binary File Version" and "Product Version," but they won't change. When I tried to uncheck the "Fixed File Info," it won't uncheck. Am I supposed to do something else? I have a feeling that I'm doing it completely wrong.

Also, I don't think you answered my question about the Control Panel images. If you know how to fix that, please let me know. I don't think the file version suggestion applies to that problem.

n8er11
March 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
thank you

Klaw117
March 20th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Ok, I, being the idiot that I am, didn't know there was a readme file with the Control Panel pictures. I finally read it today and tried to follow the directions it gave. However, my computer apparently hates change. The directions say to take control of the files, make duplicates on the desktop, rename the original files, change the images, and then paste the duplicate files into the original folders before restarting. However, I run into problems when renaming the original files and pasting the duplicate files.

I've taken control of the files and when I try to rename the files, I'll get the confirmations and the UAC prompts asking me if I'm sure I want to change the files, but when I say "Yes," the file name just stays the same, even though I gave it permission to change the name.

The second issue is pasting the duplicates after I've changed the images. I copy and paste the files and I get the confirmations and the UAC prompts. However, after clicking "Yes," the file doesn't get pasted into the folder. Nothing happens at all despite the permission I gave for the file to paste itself in the System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

I'm following the directions in the readme exactly as they are written, but I can't change the files. Why is this happening?

Also, the Windows Media Player issue is still unresolved because I can't figure out how to change the file versions in Restorator. Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do:
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8600/wmpissue.png
See the "Product Version" box (I highlighted the numbers "16415" in the box)? I'm trying to change that, but I nothing I type shows up on the screen. It just stays the same. Am I trying to change the wrong thing?

Mr GRiM
March 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Ok, I, being the idiot that I am, didn't know there was a readme file with the Control Panel pictures. I finally read it today and tried to follow the directions it gave. However, my computer apparently hates change. The directions say to take control of the files, make duplicates on the desktop, rename the original files, change the images, and then paste the duplicate files into the original folders before restarting. However, I run into problems when renaming the original files and pasting the duplicate files.

I've taken control of the files and when I try to rename the files, I'll get the confirmations and the UAC prompts asking me if I'm sure I want to change the files, but when I say "Yes," the file name just stays the same, even though I gave it permission to change the name.

The second issue is pasting the duplicates after I've changed the images. I copy and paste the files and I get the confirmations and the UAC prompts. However, after clicking "Yes," the file doesn't get pasted into the folder. Nothing happens at all despite the permission I gave for the file to paste itself in the System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

I'm following the directions in the readme exactly as they are written, but I can't change the files. Why is this happening?

Also, the Windows Media Player issue is still unresolved because I can't figure out how to change the file versions in Restorator. Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do:
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8600/wmpissue.png
See the "Product Version" box (I highlighted the numbers "16415" in the box)? I'm trying to change that, but I nothing I type shows up on the screen. It just stays the same. Am I trying to change the wrong thing?

You need to select the Edit mode to change those details.

Another way you can do it is open your version and the custom one in Restorator and then drag and drop your version info onto the custom one, or another way to do is to drag and drop the custom mods into your file, if you do that you will need to drag and drop the icons, Bitmaps and the other directory at the bottom 257 or whatever it is.

Klaw117
March 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM

Another way you can do it is open your version and the custom one in Restorator and then drag and drop your version info onto the custom one, or another way to do is to drag and drop the custom mods into your file, if you do that you will need to drag and drop the icons, Bitmaps and the other directory at the bottom 257 or whatever it is.
Thanks a lot for the help! The WMP issue is fixed now.

And I'm guessing that the Control Panel issue is a lost cause?

Ladiesman69
March 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
Awesome Theme. :cool:

Mr GRiM
March 21st, 2010, 11:28 PM

You could use Restorator to change the those images for your shell32 and save it to the desktop and then try using this program, I haven't tried it myself yet so make sure you make a restore point before trying it.

Klaw117
March 22nd, 2010, 03:32 AM

You could use Restorator to change the those images for your shell32 and save it to the desktop and then try using this program, I haven't tried it myself yet so make sure you make a restore point before trying it.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything is working perfectly now! Thank you so much for looking into this, you are too kind! :D :D :D :D

Mr GRiM
March 22nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
Your welcome, glad it all worked out for you. :)

Ettornio
March 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
This theme totally caught my eye today. I'm new to custom themes, and I followed numerous guides. However, I can't seem to get this theme functional. Your other aero-based themes, such as "Black Touch", and "Black Glass Aero" work just fine. Here is what happens when I try to enable Midnight for Windows 7:

Does anyone have an idea as to why this may be occurring? Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Ran Full glass.exe
2. Enabling Midnight, disabling all desktop customization, then re-enabling desktop customization. No go.
3. Ensured the directory in the Resources\Themes tree was "Midnight" (as stated in an earlier post), as well as verifying each directory matches the same sort of layout as the other custom themes. Still nothing.

Yes, I patched my theme files. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help? I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

By the way, this theme looks amazing. If I can get this working, I'll more than likely use all of the optional stuff that comes with it, such as the icons.

Mr GRiM
March 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
This theme totally caught my eye today. I'm new to custom themes, and I followed numerous guides. However, I can't seem to get this theme functional. Your other aero-based themes, such as "Black Touch", and "Black Glass Aero" work just fine. Here is what happens when I try to enable Midnight for Windows 7:

Does anyone have an idea as to why this may be occurring? Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Ran Full glass.exe
2. Enabling Midnight, disabling all desktop customization, then re-enabling desktop customization. No go.
3. Ensured the directory in the Resources\Themes tree was "Midnight" (as stated in an earlier post), as well as verifying each directory matches the same sort of layout as the other custom themes. Still nothing.

Yes, I patched my theme files. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help? I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

By the way, this theme looks amazing. If I can get this working, I'll more than likely use all of the optional stuff that comes with it, such as the icons.

Sounds like you have done everything right so I'm not sure what I can do, some others have said their systems have said they want to change to basic mode when running this theme though and they are people with fairly low spec machines, is that by any chance what you have.

Can you list some of your system specs that might give me some clues?

Ettornio
March 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
My system spec:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz
RAM: 4GB RAM
GPU: 2x Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB edition running in SLi
HDD: Intel G2 160GB SSD

I don't think that my specifications are the problem.

Mr GRiM
March 24th, 2010, 09:47 PM
No I don't think so either, they look about the same as mine, I really wish I could figure this one out for you but I have never had a problem applying a theme so it's hard to know what the cause might be.

Maybe try running sfc /scannow to restore all your system files and start over, you could try this method to use custom themes as well, this way doesn't involve patching any system files and is how I have mine after I did a recent reinstall and it works great.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/34 ... post349180 (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/34579-enabling-custom-themes-windows-7-a.html#post349180)

Ettornio
March 24th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Did what you said. Still not working. Although I like how I don't need to modify system files. I also uninstalled/deleted every custom theme, then tried them again 1 by 1. They all work fine, except this one. Again. It just seems to me that aero will not enable with this theme.

dreamer567
March 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM
This final version is excellant !! :party2: :party2: Nicely done, great work ! :cool:
Thanks for sharing :D :D

Mr GRiM
March 27th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks Dreamer, I'm glad you like it :)

sandeepdent
April 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
dude its not working , followed all steps,tried everything

jsnx
April 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Thanking you again, Mr GRiM. Its hard not to swear when making a comment about your themes & icon packs. Cheers!

Matt uK 1992
April 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I've followed all the tuts to install this theme, yet I can't see it in the personalization window. I have patched the correct files and I know this works as I am already using one custom theme but wish to change to this or Xtreme Red 2. I haven't decided yet. I'm using Win7 Ultimate x86 if this helps. Help?

imported_user012345
April 12th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hey thanks a lot, great theme- im just curious if there's a way to change the colour of the checkboxes in firefox? they are way too dark

Taxidriver05
April 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM
[solved!]

Mr GRiM
April 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hello Mr. Grim,

I installed your Theme and it works pretty well...

But I have some issues of the shell32.dll images...
I replaced the Images with Restorator 2007. and either Restorator 2007 or ResHacker tell me that the images have been replaced.

But if I open the Control Panel, ther are still the standard images...

What can I do now...?
Is there a prepared shell32.dll available, that I can use...?

My system: Windows 7 Professional x64

Did you do the shell32.dll in SysWOW64 as well?

Taxidriver05
April 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hello Mr. Grim,

I installed your Theme and it works pretty well...

But I have some issues of the shell32.dll images...
I replaced the Images with Restorator 2007. and either Restorator 2007 or ResHacker tell me that the images have been replaced.

But if I open the Control Panel, ther are still the standard images...

What can I do now...?
Is there a prepared shell32.dll available, that I can use...?

My system: Windows 7 Professional x64

Did you do the shell32.dll in SysWOW64 as well?

The Problem has been soved...

I also got some issues with your timedate.cpl, but I solved it by manual modification...

Might it be right, that this Theme and your "Midnight Glass Nature Themes" use different values of transparency? And, how can I approach the transparency of the other theme?

Taxidriver05
April 17th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Got your theme fully installed...

I expanded the Customization a little bit...

System: Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7600 (German)
Tools: Restorator, Taskmanager and hundreds of reboots ;-)

Customized Items:

- Mr. Grim's "Midnight Glass" Theme combined with some elements of the "Midnight Glass Nature" Theme
- Mr. Grim's "Full glass Blue" Iconpack
- Mr. Grim's shell32.dll with modifications (due to performance issues)
- Mr. Grim's explorer.exe with some modifications
- modifyed authui.dll
- modifyed own timedate.cpl based on Mr. Grim's timedate.cpl (compatibility issues)
- "Black Media Player" (wmploc.dll)
- FullGlass.exe (started as Administrator)
- "StartMenuAnimation" (started as Administrator)
- RocketDock (with "Sound"-Skin) and fitting Icons for Rocket Dock + StackDocklet
- "Midnight Glass Gadgets" and some more
- modifyed "User-Image Frame
- modifyed Logon-User-Image Frame,
- Own glassy User image (Favicon of http://www.streetcrosses.de; german Website)
- "Pulse" Cursor-Set (can also be found in this Forum)
- modifyed "Login Wallpaper (same as in "Black WMP")
- "Magic Midnight" Theme for Windows Media Center (ehres.dll)(for requests pleas PM me...!)

And now...

Here Comes the Screenshot:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3638/screenshotmidnightglass.png

Thanks to all, who made this absolutely perfect system style possible.
Allthough it took more than two days to solve all problems, the result is perfect.

The best theme I ever had... :f: :cool: :peace:

Now it's time for the weekend :glug:

Mr GRiM
April 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM

Customized Items:

- Mr. Grim's "Midnight Glass" Theme combined with some elements of the "Midnight Glass Nature" Theme
- modifyed authui.dll
- modifyed own timedate.cpl based on Mr. Grim's timedate.cpl (compatibility issues)
- RocketDock (with "Sound"-Skin) and fitting Icons for Rocket Dock
- Own glassy User image (Favicon of http://www.streetcrosses.de; german Website)

And now...

Allthough it took more than two days to solve all problems, the result is perfect.

Nice result mate, looks great :cool:

Taxidriver05
April 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Customized Items:

- modifyed authui.dll
- RocketDock (with "Sound"-Skin) and fitting Icons for Rocket Dock

And now...

Nice result mate, looks great :cool:

Ih have to say THX to YOU...

Because ist has been your inspiration...

Lethen
April 17th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I saw this theme and I was like Whoa, maybe the best theme what I have ever seen. But there is a one problem.

I try to replace the images to shell 32 and its saying "Could not open C:\Users\Kikki\Desktop\Theme Optioanal Extras\Shell32 Replacement Images\632.bmp:
This file type is not supported."

What I'm doing wrong?

Thx for great theme!

Taxidriver05
April 18th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I saw this theme and I was like Whoa, maybe the best theme what I have ever seen. But there is a one problem.

I try to replace the images to shell 32 and its saying "Could not open C:\Users\Kikki\Desktop\Theme Optioanal Extras\Shell32 Replacement Images\632.bmp:
This file type is not supported."

What I'm doing wrong?

Thx for great theme!

U must use a resource Editor like Restorator 2007 or ResHack...

With that Programme you open the shell32.dll in your system32 (and SysWOW64; if x64)...

Change the bitmaps witk that number...
Rename your original shell32.dll and replace it with your changed shell32.dll

Here (http://www.winfuture-forum.de/index.php?showtopic=178231&pid=1531842&st=0&#entry1531842) i Wrote a german tutorial, how to modify the shell32.dll...

Maybe somebody could translate it and post it her...
Or, I'll add it later...

Razor04
April 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Great Theme Mr. Grim!!! :cool:
The best theme i've ever seen! :D
After many hours of work - its done... :nerd:

A spezial thanks to taxidriver! :burns:

Taxidriver05
April 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Well...

I promised to translate the tutorial, that i postet @ Winfuture-Forum.de...

So, here is now the translation...

The request, I posted in the Forum:

Hello dear Community,

I have a small problem at the moment and don't know how to solve it now...

I've installed Mr Grim's "Midnight Glass" Theme... (available at http://www.virtualcustoms.net)

Well...
Generally the theme works very well...

But I have some problems with the included four bitmaps for the shell32.dll.

I have changed the four bitmaps (632, 633, 634 and 635) in the shell32.dll (in system32 and SysWOW64 folders).

Do I open the shell32.dll with Restorator 2007, it tells me that the bitmaps have been changed.
If I open the control panel, so there are the old standard images visible.

Might it be possible, that the shell32.dll is also stored in another directory?

Well...

My system: Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7600 (RTM)

The solution:

Doing it by yourself is the best way...

Due to some experiments i could solve it by myself...

Because of the fact, that i think, some of you will also get the same porblem, I decided to post a small workaround...

You can use this tutorial also for modifications of other system files, which are blocked by some system processes (mostly the explorer.exe).

For some files the changements will be directly applied. For others, a reboot is required...

It is necessary, that the UAC is completely deactivated and you have taken ownership of the file(s).

CAUTION: YOU MUST FOLLOW THE ORDER OF THE STEPS TO PREVENT DAMAGE ON YOUR SYSTEM!!!

The Tutorial:

1st step:

Make a copy of the shell32.dll on your desktop.
Pay attention, that you mak single copies of the shell32.dll from the system32 folder and also of the shell32.dll from the SysWOW64 folder.
So there should be two copies of the shell32.dll in different folders.

2nd step:

Open a Ressource Editor like Restorator 2007 or ResHacker with administrator privileges.
Open a copy of the shell32.dll (which you copied from system32 folder on your desktop) with the Ressource editor.
Now you can assign the new bitmaps to the file.

After that, you save the file on your desktop (overwrite the opened copy).

3rd step:

Step 2 is repeated for the shell32.dll from the SysWOW64 folder. (not necessary for x86 [32-Bit] systems)

4th step:

Open the Task Manager with the hotkeys [STRG]+[SHIFT]+[ESC].

Also open the dirctory in Explorer with the modifyed copy of the shell32.dll from the system32 folder.
Copy the modifyed shell32.dll with the hotkeys [STRG]+[C].

Now switch to the Task Manager and kill the rpocess "explorer.exe". Your desktop will disappear.
Navigate by clicking (in Task Manager) "File" => "New Task(Run...)" => "Search" to the following directory:

%WINDIR%/Windows/system32

and search the shell32.dll.
Click the file two times (slowly) to rename the file.
Rename that file to "shell32.dll.backup" or "shell32.dll.old".
Paste your modifyed shell32.dll form the temporary storage to the system32 folder by using the hotkeys [STRG]+[V].

The search window can be closed now by clicking "Abort".
In the Task Manager chose in the menu "File" => "New Task(Run..)" and write in the field "explorer.exe" (without quotes). Then click "OK".
Your desktop will come back now.

5th step:

Repeat step 4 for the shell32.dll in the SysWOW64 folder. (not necessary for x86 [32-Bit] systems)

6th step:

After changing the file(s) shell32.dll you have to restart your system now to apply the changes. The changes will take effect on next system restart.

Enjoy Desk-Modding...!

Yours
Taxidriver05

rayhigh
April 24th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Great site, amazing theme.

I'm new here, I have a question: how do I get the orb to show up? I still show the standard orb. I poked around on the site, I guess I'm overlooking it. Thanks....

Taxidriver05
April 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I would recommend to google for "StartOrb Changer" or "StartOrbz"..

I think, this might help you a little bit.

rayhigh
April 24th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I would recommend to google for "StartOrb Changer" or "StartOrbz"..

I think, this might help you a little bit.

Got it....thanks!!!

Boomstick
May 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have a quick question i can't resolve,since updating my graphics card drivers( i needed to do it) my task bar has gone back to a standed one. Ive trouble shooted trancparency and aero effects and all it keeps telling me is my desktop window manager is disabled but no clue on how to able it? Any ideas please as i love having the taskbar to these themes.

Taxidriver05
May 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I have a quick question i can't resolve,since updating my graphics card drivers( i needed to do it) my task bar has gone back to a standed one. Ive trouble shooted trancparency and aero effects and all it keeps telling me is my desktop window manager is disabled but no clue on how to able it? Any ideas please as i love having the taskbar to these themes.

Well...

I think, after changes on the hardware, you have to rate your system again to enable all Aero features...

Therefore watch under "System Preferences" > "Power and Performance Center"...

When you get the new Index value for the system, it should be activated...

Boomstick
May 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Well...

I think, after changes on the hardware, you have to rate your system again to enable all Aero features...

Therefore watch under "System Preferences" > "Power and Performance Center"...

When you get the new Index value for the system, it should be activated...

Thanks although when i tried that it still didn't work. I've also found the dwm.exe and it is enabled although everytime i run aero trouble shooter it tells me it's disabled. I'm kinda scratching my head on this one and i don't realy want to rollback my ati drivers.
Anymore ideas anyone?

Taxidriver05
May 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Maybe you shold completely delete the drivers, reboot and reinstall them...

When you deleted the drivers, take the graphic card out of your PC, boot your system, shut down again.
The put the card back into your PC, start your system, reinstall drivers and reboot again...

RELEASE NOTE:

The "Midnight Glass Full Featured Theme" is NOW AVAILABLE!!!

See http://www.virtualcustoms.net/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1745&p=11555#p11555 for Download...!

Kriss95
June 24th, 2010, 11:27 PM
thanks,very cool theme ;)

Henryix3265
July 30th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Hi Im kind of new here but had a question regarding this theme. Installed it and it looks like a basic theme not like the one in the picture. Did anyone else have the same problem. Please help I wanns know what I did wrong. Thank you

nofx1994
July 30th, 2010, 02:18 AM
did you patch your os first with third party themes you have to do this first

Henryix3265
July 30th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Yes I did. Dark 7 ultimate worked perfectly but when I installed the midnight it looked basic. Is there a way the change the control panel and windows black in dark 7 ultimate final. Please Help Had trouble with this for awile Thank you

wassamatteru
July 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Try installing themes with this http://windows-theme-installer.en.softonic.com/ Never fails for me.

Klaw117
July 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm having a strange problem here. After I played a game of StarCraft, I switched to a different theme for a minute, but when I switched back, I get something looking like this:
http://a.imageshack.us/img265/3348/screweduptheme.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/i/screweduptheme.jpg/)
Does anyone know what is going on here? It was working perfectly fine before, but after switching, I get this. I tried deleting the theme and putting it back on, but that didn't work. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: Never mind, I realized what happened to my computer. Everything's fine now.

Henryix3265
July 31st, 2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you very much. Worked like a charm

bibhu007
August 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Another super theme from you here Loving the taskbar :cool: nice work

glibster
August 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hi, my first dabble with themes, I have patched files and copied files to themes folder, ran the theme , desktop looks ace but i can't get into any directories, the windows are completely blank......no icons......nothing. Have to close explorer with task manager. Any suggestions welcome.
I have restored to a previous point for now and so will try the theme again when I know what I'm doing wrong, Thanks to all.

AltairAC
September 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have a little problem, I needed to switch back to aero for a reason and after I switched back to Midnight I got this, everything looks like windows classic

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1456/themec.jpg

I tried to delete all the theme files and copy them again but it didn't work, any suggestion?

Mr GRiM
September 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have a little problem, I needed to switch back to aero for a reason and after I switched back to Midnight I got this, everything looks like windows classic

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1456/themec.jpg

I tried to delete all the theme files and copy them again but it didn't work, any suggestion?

Try doing a restart and aply it again and that should fix it hopefully

razor
September 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
merci :f: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

RK KINGKONG
February 1st, 2011, 12:49 AM
pretty awesome theme you have here , nice work time & effort

dareaper
February 24th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Looks really good.Thanx 4 sharing.

ryuzaki
March 16th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Grim your amazing, love this theme. Microsoft should take some notes. :greedy:

Willy888
March 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
exellent!! I like it!!

StinkPot
April 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Mr Grim,

I have been having difficulty trying to get this theme installed. I am referring to the help instructions here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/28377-theme-how-apply-custom-themes.html#post302887. I am doing fine up until step 8, where it asks for me to pull 3 SiCo files out of thin air and put them in the resources folder. The instructions make no prior mention of these files, where to get them, or what they are.

Can you help me out? What is SiCo and where do you get it? It might be helpful to make this part of the instructions more detailed in the future, for beginners.

Thanks

bgjerlow designs
April 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Mr Grim,

I have been having difficulty trying to get this theme installed. I am referring to the help instructions here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/28377-theme-how-apply-custom-themes.html#post302887. I am doing fine up until step 8, where it asks for me to pull 3 SiCo files out of thin air and put them in the resources folder. The instructions make no prior mention of these files, where to get them, or what they are.

Can you help me out? What is SiCo and where do you get it? It might be helpful to make this part of the instructions more detailed in the future, for beginners.

Thanks
I'm the author of that guide so i'll go ahead and give you some support ;).
The Sico files you see in the tutorial are the theme. It's not named Sico when you download this theme, or any others really. They are all named different but consists of a folder and a .theme file. These files you want to move to the resources folder. Then you can apply it via the personalization menu

If you need further support, let me know

lahercoll
April 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
nice theme nice...my friend :happy:

StinkPot
April 12th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Mr Grim,

Thanks
The Sico files you see in the tutorial are the theme. It's not named Sico when you download this theme, or any others really. They are all named different but consists of a folder and a .theme file. These files you want to move to the resources folder. Then you can apply it via the personalization menu

I must be doing something wrong because I did that and all it does it change the background when I click it in personalization themes. Literally everything else remains the same. What gives?

bgjerlow designs
April 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Mr Grim,

Thanks

I must be doing something wrong because I did that and all it does it change the background when I click it in personalization themes. Literally everything else remains the same. What gives?
Are you certain you have placed the right files in the resources/themes folder?
You want to extract the files from the RAR, open the one called Midnight theme and then paste the .theme file + the folder to C:/Windows/Resources/Themes

StinkPot
April 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Mr Grim,

Thanks

You want to extract the files from the RAR, open the one called Midnight theme and then paste the .theme file + the folder to C:/Windows/Resources/Themes

Thank you.

Now that I got that figured out I have another concern. Some of the optionals contained within the download require you to replace certain system32 files. But, as I learned a few days ago, there is great risk in doing so. First of all windows 7 has some extremely strict file protection on the entire system32 folder. It took a lot of work and research just to find out how to move a file FROM system32 but putting the file back IN system32 was impossible, it can't be done. After I took shell32.dll out and was unable to put it back in due to the ridiculous folder security's my computer would not even log in and it was 3 days later that I finally figured out how to press F8 on startup and run the repair tool PLUS I had to system restore to a point almost a month prior. I think this website is in error for not making its users aware of the risks in modifying the system32 folder.

How are you guys switching shell32's and timedat.cpl's in SYSTEM32? I have not found a method that worked.

Mr GRiM
April 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Mr Grim,

Thanks

Thank you.

Now that I got that figured out I have another concern. Some of the optionals contained within the download require you to replace certain system32 files. But, as I learned a few days ago, there is great risk in doing so. First of all windows 7 has some extremely strict file protection on the entire system32 folder. It took a lot of work and research just to find out how to move a file FROM system32 but putting the file back IN system32 was impossible, it can't be done. After I took shell32.dll out and was unable to put it back in due to the ridiculous folder security's my computer would not even log in and it was 3 days later that I finally figured out how to press F8 on startup and run the repair tool PLUS I had to system restore to a point almost a month prior. I think this website is in error for not making its users aware of the risks in modifying the system32 folder.

How are you guys switching shell32's and timedat.cpl's in SYSTEM32? I have not found a method that worked.

OK first of all we are not in error, if you do something to your computer without knowing what your doing then that is your own responsibility, all I did was provide the images, if you were unsure how to change those images then you should have asked for assistance.

To change the images is a fairly simple procedure if done right, first of all you need to take ownership of the system file you would like to edit, this can be done manually by opening the properties and changing the ownership of the file and setting full access to it, the other option is to install a registry hack that gives you the take ownership shortcut in the right click context menu, the second option is not always available though so some files still need to be done using the first option.

The next thing to do is copy the system file and paste it on your desktop, then you will need a resource hacker like Restorator to view it resources and be able to change them, once you have done your edits save it.

At this point you now have 2 options, you can rename the original system file eg. shell32.dll.bak this will allow you to then copy your modified system file from your desktop back into the system32 folder, you will then require a restart of your system for the changes to take effect.

The second option is to use a program that will add the new system files for you, there are several programs around that will do this, one I have been using a bit recently is Fixit's Se7en File Replacer, this simple tool allows the user to drop a system file onto it and it will automatically replace the correct system file and then prompt for a restart.

Now that may all seem fairly easy but it still leaves room for user error and if you are not confident in making changes to your system files then you probably shouldn't, this is why with all my recent themes I have made the themes with a proper installer that will install the theme and and also install a service that enables the theme to change the images for explorerframe, explorer.exe and the shell32.dll images, it does this without needing to modify any system files and if you select another theme it will automatically change to the resources of that theme.

I still include extras in my themes that do require system file changes but I package them in a separate package for use with Fixit's 7tsp program, another great thing about this program is that I do not have to include the whole system file in my package, only the modified images and resources and then 7tsp will add those resources to your own system files, it makes the whole process very simple and saves a ton of time for the end user.

I hope this is of some help to you and if you have any more questions then please ask.

maffin0214
April 20th, 2011, 09:26 AM
hi Mr. Grim sir! the pixie dust theme is great! and cute!
Sir do you have new theme for girls? :girl:
Thank u....for the cute theme...

Mr GRiM
April 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
hi Mr. Grim sir! the pixie dust theme is great! and cute!
Sir do you have new theme for girls? :girl:
Thank u....for the cute theme...

Sorry the only theme I have done for girls was Pixie Dust.

liam123
June 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
thank you for the excellent theme :cheeky:

IzaK
July 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hey there Mr. Grim! I love this theme but one thing I missing, how can I get those gadgets?! They are SO AWESOME! I would be really glad if you could post me a download link for them. It would be very kind, thanks!! :laughing:

_Deano_
July 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
the desktop gadgets are in the theme extras folder :smile:

IzaK
July 18th, 2011, 11:35 PM
the desktop gadgets are in the theme extras folder :smile:

oh XD Thanks! XD

Nikin8888
August 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Good job!.. :peace:

ericwb
August 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Great Theme Mr. Grim!!!
But I can't change four bitmaps for the shell32.dll. using Restorator 2007, not supported png files
How do I do?

MR.RIGHT
August 25th, 2011, 07:04 AM
AWESOME theme , thanks:peace:

NAHOM
September 19th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Blue theme very beautiful thank you Mr grim:happy:

sad
September 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I install this theme but I don't know how to make my desktop icons like this picture.

Big V
September 24th, 2011, 04:11 PM
The icons do not come with the theme they have to be installed separately. You can find many to chose from in these sections on the forum.

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27464-Custom-Icons-with-install-Script-for-Windows-7

http://virtualcustoms.net/forumdisplay.php/850-7tsp-Icon-Packs

Plus tuts on how to install them in this section

http://virtualcustoms.net/forumdisplay.php/1005-Theme-Extras-Setup-Tutorials

sad
September 25th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Thank You Big V :)

DeLuXe
October 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
very nice :) good job ! thanks

Toby King
October 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM
im new here. i discovered this site after stumbling on to Mr. Grim's themes on deviantART.
first let me say this theme is awesome. but i have a question, how do you change the icons on the taskbar? when i put programs on the taskbar, Firefox for example, i get the standard Firefox icon. i tried making a shortcut but i still cant set the icon from the property's page. any ideas?

redlinesr
December 19th, 2011, 04:57 AM
i like it (:

Letícia®
December 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
another great work mr.grim loved the buttons "close, minimize and maximize" / / thanks:love::girl:

vgl2000
June 18th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks!It rocks!!!: Gun:

Vicente
June 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Thank you MrGrimm, you are an artist !!!

RICH2466
June 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Thank you very much your themes are always A1 thank`s again.

hellaclips1
July 13th, 2012, 02:22 PM
thank you man..

Kalevra1102
July 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Thank you!!

Schobeleth
August 8th, 2012, 02:37 AM
This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it :)

kenz111
August 11th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for this! Everything looks great but one thing. Some programs are using the new scrollbar this theme put in, and said programs to look pretty ugly with it.
Can anyone give me a point in the right direction towards fixing this?

Showbe
October 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Can someone please help me install this? I cannot figure it out. It says in read me to replace shell 32 but their is no shell 32 only shellstyle back up. I have replaced all the files according to a tutorial on another site since I cant read the one on this sites.

windowsultimateuser
October 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Excellent an amazing theme Mr. Grim thanks for sharing it.

Big V
October 7th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Can someone please help me install this? I cannot figure it out. It says in read me to replace shell 32 but their is no shell 32 only shellstyle back up. I have replaced all the files according to a tutorial on another site since I cant read the one on this sites.

Ok bud I'll walk you threw getting this theme installed
First off make sure you have your system patched to run 3rd party themes use universal theme patcher http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/42812-Universal-Theme-Patcher-Manual-Install
Next unrar the theme download to where you want to work with it like your desktop
In the folders you just extracted open the Midnight theme folder you should see a folder labeled Midnight and a file labeled Midnight.theme you need to place both of these items in c\windows\resources\themes
Once you have those in place you can now select your theme by right clicking your desktop and selecting personalize and choosing the theme from that menu

Next we will get the extra installed
First off let install the fonts just right click and select install on each

Next lets do the shell32 images you will need to locate the shell32.dll in c\windows\system32
You will need to take ownership of this file.
The easyiest way of doing this is by using this registry tweak 58899
Just extrac the file and double click the script and it will install the tweak to your right click context menu.
Once you have the script installed right click the shell32.dll in c\windows\system32 and select take ownership.
Next right click the shell32.dll and select copy - then paste the shell32.dll to your desktop
Now you will need to open the shell32.dll on your desktop using restorator (you can get a full working trial version of it here http://www.bome.com/products/restorator)
Once you have the shell32.dll open in restorator on the left side of the program you will see the file tree. Open the bitmap folder in the tree and drag the images from the shell32 replacement folder to the corresponding file number.
Once you have the images dragged over return to the file menu at top of the program and click file then save. Then close restorator
Next return to the file original location c\windows\system32 and rename the original to shell32.dll.old.
This will now be your original backup if you ever need to restore just delete the .old off the end of the file name.
Now drag the file we just edited on your desktop into c\windows\shell32 then close the location.
Note if you are using a 64 bit os system you need to repeat the above process for the same file in C\windows\systemwow also
Once you have the files in place you will need to restart for the images to take effect

Next for the clock & windows media player Mr grim has already done the hard part for you and has included the already edited dll
Open C\windows\system32 and locate the same file you are wanting to replace. This time you only need to take ownership of the original file as you did above the rename the original file like we did above by adding .old to the end of the file name Then drag the replacement file into that location, close and restart your system for the edits to take effect
Note If using a 64 bit OS you will need to do the same in c\windows\systemwow folder also

Next for the Midnight Orb.bmp open C\windows\branding\shellbrd and repeat the above process on the shellbrd.dll

For the gadget just double click the gadget file and run the installer then select the gadget from the rightclick menu on your desktop

For the the full glass app - If you want this to run each time windows start you will need to add it to your startup folder
Open your start menu, programs, startup, right click the startup folder select open then drag the app to the startup folder and close the folder. The app will autostart on your next reboot.

The startmenu animation2 I'm sorry i have never used it so i'm no help on it

Showbe
October 7th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Ok bud I'll walk you threw getting this theme installed
First off make sure you have your system patched to run 3rd party themes use universal theme patcher http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/42812-Universal-Theme-Patcher-Manual-Install
Next unrar the theme download to where you want to work with it like your desktop
In the folders you just extracted open the Midnight theme folder you should see a folder labeled Midnight and a file labeled Midnight.theme you need to place both of these items in c\windows\resources\themes
Once you have those in place you can now select your theme by right clicking your desktop and selecting personalize and choosing the theme from that menu

Next we will get the extra installed
First off let install the fonts just right click and select install on each

Next lets do the shell32 images you will need to locate the shell32.dll in c\windows\system32
You will need to take ownership of this file.
The easyiest way of doing this is by using this registry tweak 58899
Just extrac the file and double click the script and it will install the tweak to your right click context menu.
Once you have the script installed right click the shell32.dll in c\windows\system32 and select take ownership.
Next right click the shell32.dll and select copy - then paste the shell32.dll to your desktop
Now you will need to open the shell32.dll on your desktop using restorator (you can get a full working trial version of it here http://www.bome.com/products/restorator)
Once you have the shell32.dll open in restorator on the left side of the program you will see the file tree. Open the bitmap folder in the tree and drag the images from the shell32 replacement folder to the corresponding file number.
Once you have the images dragged over return to the file menu at top of the program and click file then save. Then close restorator
Next return to the file original location c\windows\system32 and rename the original to shell32.dll.old.
This will now be your original backup if you ever need to restore just delete the .old off the end of the file name.
Now drag the file we just edited on your desktop into c\windows\shell32 then close the location.
Note if you are using a 64 bit os system you need to repeat the above process for the same file in C\windows\systemwow also
Once you have the files in place you will need to restart for the images to take effect

Next for the clock & windows media player Mr grim has already done the hard part for you and has included the already edited dll
Open C\windows\system32 and locate the same file you are wanting to replace. This time you only need to take ownership of the original file as you did above the rename the original file like we did above by adding .old to the end of the file name Then drag the replacement file into that location, close and restart your system for the edits to take effect
Note If using a 64 bit OS you will need to do the same in c\windows\systemwow folder also

Next for the Midnight Orb.bmp open C\windows\branding\shellbrd and repeat the above process on the shellbrd.dll

For the gadget just double click the gadget file and run the installer then select the gadget from the rightclick menu on your desktop

For the the full glass app - If you want this to run each time windows start you will need to add it to your startup folder
Open your start menu, programs, startup, right click the startup folder select open then drag the app to the startup folder and close the folder. The app will autostart on your next reboot.

The startmenu animation2 I'm sorry i have never used it so i'm no help on it

Well do I need to do ALL of that in order to get the theme working? Another forum member tried to help me guiding me through the process and we just put the themes in my themes folder and when I selected it in my personalities it would only change the wallpaper. Yet if I use the installer for another theme like the HUD theme, it would work fine and change my start bar and everything. If I try to select my Midnight theme after installing it, it wont work. The same goes for the HUD themes, only the HUD topless basic works and all the other HUDs only replace the wallpaper and mouse pointer.

He said we could do all the extras like editing shell32 and stuff like you listed in your guidelines after we got that first part done but we couldnt even manage to get the theme to work at all.

ONE MAN ARMY
October 7th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Big V I think something is wrong with his computer. For some reason its saying that he patched his files to except 3rd party themes but its not patching. I walked him through on exactly how to patch and load the theme to his themes folder, he should have been able to apply the theme, but for some reason it is just adding the wallpaper. I had this problem along time ago but it was becease I forgot to patch system files. Some thing beyond my knowledge is happening on his system. The extras I was going to do last with him but we could not get the theme to load. Also I told him to try and download Grims Hud evolution theme using the installer thinking that would work and it did but he said only the hud basic works. That is why I think the files are not being patched!

Big V
October 7th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Ok one man thanks for the help and yes it does sound like he has an issue with the patch
I would check and make sure he is using the correct version of the patch x86 for a 32 bit OS or X64 for a 64 bit OS if it still not working i would suggest running system file checker in safe mode

Boot your OS into safe mode and open a command promt and run this command sfc /scannow after it finshes restart and try the patches again

kai70
October 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM
thanks I do love your themes!:happy:

PROTOCOL
December 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Very nice theme! Thanks!

ooJSFoo
December 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
Very nice job !

smithjo
December 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cool theme.:greedy:

Peter38K
December 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I wanna get access to the how to install themes :S

the link in this thread.

Big V
December 25th, 2012, 11:08 PM

the link in this thread.

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27909-How-to-Apply-Custom-Themes-in-Windows-7

8pecxstudios
December 26th, 2012, 07:37 AM

the link in this thread.

Hi mate Try This One It Has Video Tutorial http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/37747-How-to-patch-windows-7-to-allow-3rd-party-themes-and-apply-themes-video-tutorial

Peter38K
December 26th, 2012, 08:07 AM
thanks for the link :)

mloloya1
February 14th, 2013, 12:49 PM
This is an amazing theme and thank you for putting it up. However, the problem I have is that windows word and other online forms turn black. More specifically, whenever I open a word document, the page is dark grey, not white. Is it possible to fix??

edit: I know i can do it manually each time, but I wish there was a way for it to be automatic.

sdc321
April 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM
how is this fing colled at the up on your screen where are all your folders thats not rocked dock yes?? pls name:)

Big V
April 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM
how is this fing colled at the up on your screen where are all your folders thats not rocked dock yes?? pls name:)

First off please tone your language down bud no need for that in your first post.
No that is not a dock it just the way Mr Grim has his desktop icons arranged.

Susmoy
May 8th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Nice theme Mate :)

IceBabee
May 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM
GREAT JOB! :givahand:Thank you for sharing :)

FonikoSss
June 10th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Great theme m8

solo96
June 17th, 2013, 08:43 AM
cool stuff...

thayl0
July 27th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Thanks for posting this amazing theme

One question how do you install the shell32 control panel images,,,

and my cpu and ram gadget doesn't show anything.

ONE MAN ARMY
July 27th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Thanks for posting this amazing theme

One question how do you install the shell32 control panel images,,,

and my cpu and ram gadget doesn't show anything.

Before you install the theme you need to make sure you patch your system to accept 3rd party themes. I am assuming you have all ready done this since you only need Shell images. You will need to install Theme Resource Changer x64 (64bit) or x86 (32bit) This must be done! For full theme to take effect

thayl0
July 27th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Before you install the theme you need to make sure you patch your system to accept 3rd party themes. I am assuming you have all ready done this since you only need Shell images. You will need to install Theme Resource Changer x64 (64bit) or x86 (32bit) This must be done! For full theme to take effect

One last questions. And I think you for your help. I would post a picture but I don't have the 5 post requirements yet. But I installed the midnight gadcet that shows cpu and ram but mine says unknown. How do I get it to show somehthing.

ONE MAN ARMY
July 27th, 2013, 04:52 AM
One last questions. And I think you for your help. I would post a picture but I don't have the 5 post requirements yet. But I installed the midnight gadcet that shows cpu and ram but mine says unknown. How do I get it to show somehthing.

Sorry But gadgets seem to work for me. Im not sure why they are not working for you. Try re installing them

gman
August 26th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Great Theme!! This is the first thing I put on any new windows install

pophigof
November 3rd, 2013, 02:35 AM
wow! look like so cool
amazing theme

MooDKinG
April 4th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Great work m8 ty

MDC4Tr
April 4th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Thx for the Theme and Good Job !!! But can anybody tell me how to change the Midnight Weather gadget city and country ??

La Creme
April 5th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Lovely thanks

TORCHED
April 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
the Blue is a bit much, but other than that " bitching "

ROBERTO W7
September 26th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Another super theme from you here, thank you:allgood:

Robbo
September 26th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Nice looking theme Mr GRiM (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/1-Mr-GRiM) and thanks for sharing.

doubletino
October 31st, 2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks

Elmo56
November 15th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Awesome theme...thanks so much for sharing!

Smokes
January 17th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the great theme, Im not sure what Ive done wrong everything is fine apart from the panel on the left its still white Win7 Pro x64 SP1 I tried to upload a small screen shot from manage attachments, it wont upload.

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section of the site.

Smokes