PDA

View Full Version : Red X over drive icons

wraithxiv
March 4th, 2010, 03:28 AM
After installing one of Mr. Grim's awesome icon sets I rebooted and noticed there were red X's over lapping my drive icons, all but my C: drive.

Also, after installing, there was mini icons over lapping my desktop icons.

Could some one please tell me how to fix these issues, mainly the red X's.

Thanks in advance.

nofx1994
March 4th, 2010, 04:03 AM
yeah mine have been like that since i installed them along time ago dunno if there is a fix or not

JoseyWales
March 4th, 2010, 05:01 AM
i use icon packager, it works good and there are many icon packs to use along with being able to create your own. also it's much easier to change individual icons from the program instead of digging through Windows7..

wraithxiv
March 4th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Will this program solve my issue?

Where can i get it?

Also, sorry I didn't mention it before, but I am running windows 7 7600.

Cashis
March 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM
We will also need to know whether you are on x64 or x86 and What icon pack you installed with the link to the download and how many times have you installed any of the icon packs before.

wraithxiv
March 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I am running x64.

I only installed the ultimate red pack (not the glass one) from mr grim, which I downloaded from this site.

before that I d/loaded the trail for icon changer but since it was a trial it didn't change all of my icons
so I uninstalled it.

I don't remember if the dives had the x after using icon changer or not

Cashis
March 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Ok well we sill soon tell if it was the icon changer app, I will install the ultimate red pack now and see ;)

Cashis
March 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
All working well here mate so it looks like its the App that has caused you the issues, these icon install scripts are not intended to be used with app's like icon changer you either use 1 method or the other they will not work together.

But anyway now it diagnosed heres a few post's to look at to help you get back to norm:

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27730-Troubleshoot-Problems-Installing-Uninstalling-Icon-Pack-s

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27765-Default-Windows-7-Icon-Pack-With-Installer

let us know how ya get on ;)

http://lookpic.com/i/379/jZATAx8x.png

wraithxiv
March 4th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the links, but didn't solve my issue.

I un installed everything, used the uninstall.bat for the icons, then restarted when prompted. Used the uninstallcleanup.bat
I then uninstalled inconchanger. I then deleted all the dll.bak files that match one of the posts you linked me to.

Also I don't see an iconcashe in c:user/"myusername"/local/appdata

I have show all files and hidden folders checked.

After uninstalling verything, the color schemes are gone, but I still have mini folder icons over lapping my desktop icons,
and my disk drive icons have gone back to normal but still have the red x's.

wraithxiv
March 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I had to take ownership of the appdata folder before the iconcache.db would show.
I deleted it and restarted and still no change.
I am running sfc /scannow to see if it will restore defaults.

Cashis
March 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM
The scripts automatically clear your iconcache.db for you so the reason its not there is coz it doesn't exist yet.

anther thing to do is run disk cleanup and delete all Thumbs ;)

wraithxiv
March 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I ran disk clean up and still no change.

I did re-install iconchanger28 trial and replaced the 3 drive icons with x's and set them and the x's went away, sort of.
When I go to mycomputer I can still see the red x before the new set images takes over.
Is there a way to make those icons the default icons so I can uninstall iconchanger
and just use mr grims?

Also sfc didn'y help, nor did installing mr grims default icons.

JoseyWales
March 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
are you using a single drive partitioned into 4 drives?

to restore all windows files do this:
1. Open a elevated command prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

3. When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see all is ok.
The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.

NOTE: If not, then you can attempt to run a System Restore using a restore point dated before the bad file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a System Restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

4. When done, close the elevated command prompt.

to see the log file afterwards if you want do this:

1. Open a elevated command prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, type:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.
NOTE: This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with the SFC scan details from the CBS.LOG.

3. Close the elevated command prompt.

4. Open the sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop to see the SFC scan details in the CBS.LOG.

5. You can safely delete the sfcdetails.txt file afterwards if you like.

Cashis
March 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I ran disk clean up and still no change.

I did re-install iconchanger28 trial and replaced the 3 drive icons with x's and set them and the x's went away, sort of.
When I go to mycomputer I can still see the red x before the new set images takes over.
Is there a way to make those icons the default icons so I can uninstall iconchanger
and just use mr grims?

Also sfc didn'y help, nor did installing mr grims default icons.

I am sorry to hear you are still having trouble, it is quite simple though your icons have got messed up because of the other icon associated applications that you are running on your pc.

uninstall all Icon related software from ya pc. go to you system directories and make sure there is on 1 of each of these
imageres.dll , imagesp1.dll, Shell32.dll, zipfldr.dll in both System32 & SysWOW64 folders. "Making Sure there is no .bak's or .TMP's or any other .dll mentioned before with any other little tag on the end.

Once satisfied install http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27765-Default-Windows-7-Icon-Pack-With-Installer

Then you should be restored back to default icons.

Then we start again.

wraithxiv
March 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I see those files but there are also ones with dll.mui. Do I delete these also?

Will sfc only work with an elevated cmd? I have ran it once aleady and recieve problems found but unable to fix.

I have my main drive partitioned into 2 drives, one for windows 7 and the other for Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

The other drives is a TB drive with a small partiton for my WII, so it shuld have an X because it's not formatted where windows can see it.

Also I have my manual back ups of the dll files, how do I restore them?

JoseyWales
March 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
run sfc /scannow and it will fix it all for you... windows backs up all drivers and the os files to do roll backs and to restore corupt system files. so sfc /scannow will restore the files to the original digitally signed ones.(same ones you have as back up)

wraithxiv
March 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I have right click on cmd and ran as administrator.
let it run and received the following:

I tried to run sfc /scanonce for a boot scan but I don't
think that command is in windows 7. Is there another command
to do the same task?

Perhaps use the windows 7 dvd can help,
just need to know what to do once I put it in.

Mr GRiM
March 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
The program you used before you installed my icons was not compatible with Windows 7 and has changed some of your registry setting and that's why your icons are all messed up.

You need to do a system restore to the point before you first installed the icon changer or if you don't have a restore point for before that time you will need to delete the registry settings the program created, open the registry editor and do a search for anything with the same name as the program you used and delete them, if that doesn't work for you I'm afraid there is nothing else that will work other then a fresh install, even a repair install will not work because it will not change the registry entries.

This is the reason I started making Icon packages this way instead of using Iconpackager and other programs that are similar like the one you used, because they are not fully tested with Windows 7 and create these registry entries to assign new icons and even though they may appear to work at the time as did Iconpackager, when you change back to the default icons that's when the problems start.

I'm not sure if Iconpackager still does this as I am not willing to try it again after all the failed attempts at using it, even their first so called compatible Windows 7 Iconpackager had some issues for me so I just stay clear of it, I find with most of Stardocks programs I end up doing a system restore soon after.

wraithxiv
March 5th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I will try deleting those registry entries this afternoon.

Is there a reason SFC /Scannow isn't working properly?
I would like to not get "problems found but unable to fix them"
messages.

I appreciate all the help everyone has offered.

Mr GRiM
March 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah I get the same message when I run that as well and I am probably due for a repair install myself and I know after that it is usually all good but it takes such a long time to complete and you have to activate your copy of Windows again after which can be a hassle if you have activated it to many times with the same key.

wraithxiv
March 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM
So if I can fix my icons by cleaning the registry I can run a repair install and it should fix the problems SFC can't?

Mr GRiM
March 5th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah it should, so you don't have any system restore points then?

wraithxiv
March 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I have 5, and all are after installing iconchanger.

Sux for me, lol. If I have to reformat, I wont be able to do it till Summer, or
when I build a new rig to copy my stuff over to.

Its not a huge problem to deal with, but having everything match would be nice.

Mr GRiM
March 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
If you need to do a fresh install you don't need to format, just select the existing partition and start the install and all of the contents from the old installation will be placed in a folder called Windows Old and in that folder you will have all the files in their same locations and then all you need to do is move them back into their correct locations on your new installation, the only thing you will need to do is install all your programs again, when your done getting all your files from Windows old you can them delete the folder.

wraithxiv
March 5th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me.

Off topic:

I have been wanting to start making themes, to give a little back to this site.
Is there a better tut than this one?
http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27561-Theme-Customize-custom-themes

I have cs4 but never really used photoshop, usually just dreamweaver.

wraithxiv
March 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have reinstalled windows 7 and reformatted altogether, sfc /scannnow still tells me there are errors and now themes will not work. I haven't tried the icon packs but they are kind of useless with out a theme to go with them. Check the screen shot. Fugly is what it is!

wraithxiv
March 7th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Sorry, not meaning to spam just letting your guys know about my progress.

I installed UxStyles and it fixed my themes problem, and I installed a theme pack and all is well.
Now I can focus on creating and see if I can give back any.

Thanks everyone.

newbie87
March 11th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hi all...
i am a new one on this forums...
My problem is same with wraithxiv...
i also got a red cross like X letter on my local disk icon (:D, :E, :R) except :C after i uninstalled AllianGUI on my windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

mania626
March 24th, 2010, 01:27 AM
you should not have to reformat...it happened to me also and all i had to do was clear explorer exe cache and everything was ok after that...there is a guide on how to do it online,i just don't remember where i found it.