PDA

View Full Version : Fan speeds and heat.

Psych0t1c
March 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'm posting this because I need some help, from someone who has experience with this.
I have a laptop, HP Dv7t 1000 with a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT card. I had it since July of 09.
No problems up until about last month. It's starting to get a little too hot. I thought it had some dust so I bought some canned air and blew out the dust. Wasn't really that much.
Temps were getting as high as 56 Celsius. On idle it'd get to about 44 Celsius. Now, today I turned on the laptop and it was at 55 Celsius which was weird.
I did the air thing, cleaned off the HDDs, now it's at 46 Celsius as I speak but it shoots up higher. For example if I'm on youtube, or photoshop, it'll get around 54 Celsius.
My question is, does anyone have any kind of advice for me to fix this, whether it be some software, a guide perhaps, anything. Just be sure you know what you're talking about.
I would use some software but I'd rather know which ones are best. Hopefully someone can help me.

Mr GRiM
March 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Those temps seem pretty normal to me, I always thought that Laptops got a bit hotter then Towers but my GTX260 in my Tower sits around 60c on idle so you are doing allot better then me, I wouldn't worry about it unless you start seeing anything around that.

Psych0t1c
March 13th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Ok, and thanks for the reply, but just incase I do get around there, you have any suggestions on how to cool it down?

xPreatorianx
March 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Those temps are normal considering laptops are so compact. They don't have adequate airflow and even then it's running that good? Damn.

My Desktop PC runs at 60 C idle and is about 2 degrees shy of overload during gaming. My GPU idles at 70 C and goes 2 degrees below overload/overheating at about 88- 89 C.

Those temps are extremely hot and are the breaking point of any computer. But I'm getting a new one in the next month. I can't get the temps to go down no matter what. I have stuck a huge fan right up against it and it still stays hot.

So for a desktop overclocking good temps are about 35 - 40 C or a little bit above on idle.

For laptops your temps should be good as well. Depending on the setup. You have to remember a desktop has 100% more room inside compared to a laptop. So you are not gonna get perfect cooling in a laptop. So those should be fine. if they go higher to around 60 -65 C while using programs then you may need to see about replacing some fans or getting it looked at.

Basically just monitor it. If it gets to hot to where you cannot keep it on your lap, get it looked at or buy one of those laptap coolers that mount below it.

Psych0t1c
March 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Alright, well I'm monitoring it and with my window open it's staying at around 44-47 Celsius so ok. And I guess those are normal but to be on the safe side, I'm going to see about the fan on my nvidia and see if it has any dust or w/e on it. Thanks for the replies guys.

Kameirus
March 14th, 2010, 12:39 AM
also for your nvidia card you can use one or 2 litle programs to help keep it cooler one is evga percision or the second msi afterburner .. you can adjust the fan speeds on the vid card and setup profiles with bnoth those programs

Psych0t1c
March 14th, 2010, 03:12 AM
also for your nvidia card you can use one or 2 litle programs to help keep it cooler one is evga percision or the second msi afterburner .. you can adjust the fan speeds on the vid card and setup profiles with bnoth those programs

Have you ever used it, if so, how good are they?

ViruS
March 14th, 2010, 06:26 AM
im using evga Percision. it is the same as msi afterburner and riva tuner, all are on the same basics build, and from the same guy^^

evga Percision is the easyest i would say.
it works with i thinck all nvidia cards...

you could downclock your vga with that tool when u are not using grafik intense stuff that will result in cooler temps, and also you can controll your fan with it..

but like everyone else said, that temp is pretty normal for an laptop^^
i had one that was hotter...and the tjmax (highest safe temp for the Cores, not the cpu tin, (headspreader)) of most intel cpu´s are around 90 C° and when it reaches that it is automatic throtling the cpu so it wont die...

there are tablets or what its called, its like a lil thing with air coolers in it , where you can put your laptop on, that will cool down a bit too. but dont expect big changes^^

anyway...greetz ViruS

Kameirus
March 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
excatly what virus said evga percision is easiest ive used it since it first came out
just trying something different with afterburner

Psych0t1c
March 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Well I have a fan but it keeps it cool for a bit, I'll try those programs, are there any side effects to downclocking?

ViruS
March 14th, 2010, 06:34 PM
nope..there should not any sideeffect.
indeed most nvidia cards that are newer, like gts250 . 9800gtx etc have auto downclock...

i downclock my card too when im not gaming..and still can watch hd movies etc, so everything is fine..

if you need help for setup percision or any question , just go ahead and pm me^^

greetz ViruS

opalo153
March 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
lol got like 20 C on my dell inspiron crappy laptop with photoshop running

Psych0t1c
March 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
What the hell? Did you use the programs mentioned or is that just the default for your laptop?

opalo153
March 17th, 2010, 02:05 PM
default...

Psych0t1c
March 18th, 2010, 07:01 AM
default...

Good temp, bad laptop.

ViruS
March 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM
:what: show me that temp!!!
thats unbelivable for an laptop^^

here i got an desktop with an bad ass cooling solution on my GFX. and these are good temps
http://www.abload.de/thumb2/arctic-cooling-acceler1b6q.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=arctic-cooling-acceler1b6q.jpg)
..so thats bad ass what you have..
http://666kb.com/i/bhlo5azezz7dxhaxh.png
idles around 42 C° max was 60C°

i would quite say thats impossible what you have there..the temp of an hardware cant be less than room temp..and in an laptop? thats crazy dude :)

greetz ViruS

opalo153
March 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Its room temperature, isnt that 20 C?
All I know is that its room temperature...

Mr GRiM
March 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM
lol got like 20 C on my dell inspiron crappy laptop with photoshop running

Mate you are so full of it, there is no way you are running those temps unless you live in a freezer lol

sydtrakked
March 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I have a Thermaltake V9 case (lots of airflow) and stock cooling...
but I really need to dust it out...

even with dust my CPU (oc'd) idle is between 40-50c
under load ~60-70c

I use evga precision for my GTS250, its super easy and you can save different settings as hotkeys so with the push of a button you can simply turn up or down the fan speed or overclock on the fly.

Gfx card at 50% fan speed idle is ~45-50c
under load ~55-60c

opalo153
March 23rd, 2010, 01:33 AM
lol the crappier the laptop, the less the temp, because it doesnt have to hold much, and what is room temperature???
and how do u know I live in a freezer??? !!!!! stalker.... :angry:

ViruS
March 23rd, 2010, 02:23 AM
XD :D XD