PDA

View Full Version : Routers

Super Jesus
July 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
So our old router, which was a netgear wireless G, broke a few days ago after working pretty much fine for a few years. Nothing major just the occasional restart was required so overall it worked pretty well. So we went out and bought a D-link wireless N router and within three days it made us so mad that were going to get another one and return it. The D-link (for some unknown reason) will not let pretty much anything on our network without us restarting the D-link first. Meaning that if I want to access Xbox live I have to restart it, if I want to use my computer about 50 percent of the time I have to restart it, and its the same way with all the other computers. It also randomly disconnects everyone on the internet and you won't have internet again until you restart it at random times while its in use.
So basically I am looking for a suggestion on which brand of router is best in your opinion and which one you have had the best experience with.
(I also have a friend whose router broke recently and I am looking for advice on what he should get)

Twisted-Devil
July 3rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
Ive been using Linksys for years and ive never had any probs at all .... I would say the best to go with would be eaither Linksys or Netgear.

harveyjerry
July 28th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Theoretical ranges for the standard, either go n cover the entire house. N will be the best at the end of the range. The problem is that the actual range varies depending on the walls, building materials, interference, even the weather. So you really need to buy the router and the test signal where you want the computer. If the signal is too weak, you can buy a transmitter-receiver signal booster set for the same wireless standard your router.

edee
December 18th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Linksys dude , I've been usung the Wireless G for about 4 years now and other than the ocassional reboot every few months it has never let me down.