PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of these icons

lekter001
July 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hi. I changed my 7 system icons with new ones with restorator. Previously I used the Mr Grim installer for his icon set. As you can see in the attached images actually if I open Windows Explorer trought the taskbar link I see the new ones but if I open it trought the Start Menu some old ones are still in place. The same goes with other icons such the one appearing in the taskbar when I open Personalization window. I rebuilded icon cache as suggested somewhere and changed all possible instances in imageres and shell32. Where the hell are the old icons coming from? :( thanks in advance.

TTSquad
July 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hi mate, sorry I don't have the answer to your problem but I just wanted to know how you managed to make the progress bars black under the HDD drive letter icons?? or what theme are you using ?

Thank you and have a good day!

wassamatteru
July 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi. I changed my 7 system icons with new ones with restorator. Previously I used the Mr Grim installer for his icon set. As you can see in the attached images actually if I open Windows Explorer trought the taskbar link I see the new ones but if I open it trought the Start Menu some old ones are still in place. The same goes with other icons such the one appearing in the taskbar when I open Personalization window. I rebuilded icon cache as suggested somewhere and changed all possible instances in imageres and shell32. Where the hell are the old icons coming from? :( thanks in advance.

There appears to be a bug in the assigning of icons to external storage devices. I have exactly the same kind of mystery icon for my G: and E: (external and DVD respectively). I don't know where the G: icon comes from (it appears to be the icon for Easy Transfer!) or where it's stored but it resists all attempts to discover or change it so I've kinda decided to live with it. The E: icon is the CD drive icon when it should be the DVD drive icon. Whether that's just random or there's some logic that can be traced remains likewise a mystery!

lekter001
July 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hi mate, sorry I don't have the answer to your problem but I just wanted to know how you managed to make the progress bars black under the HDD drive letter icons?? or what theme are you using ?

Thank you and have a good day!

those are part of a theme I'm working on.

lekter001
July 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM
There appears to be a bug in the assigning of icons to external storage devices. I have exactly the same kind of mystery icon for my G: and E: (external and DVD respectively). I don't know where the G: icon comes from (it appears to be the icon for Easy Transfer!) or where it's stored but it resists all attempts to discover or change it so I've kinda decided to live with it. The E: icon is the CD drive icon when it should be the DVD drive icon. Whether that's just random or there's some logic that can be traced remains likewise a mystery!

Don't know if it's a bug but they are stored somewhere...

dareckibmw
July 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM

go to "folder options" and make sure that "show hidden files, folders and drives" is "ticked", then Apply, OK.
now go to C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local folder and delete IconCache.db file.
restart, refresh all icons by right clicking on desktop.... and do that again if folders still not changed.

...it should help ;)

lekter001
July 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Done but still there.

dafmat71
July 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Done but still there.
delete iconcache 2 times!! ( delete: restart explorer, delete restart explorer)!!

lekter001
July 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Well...I dont' know why but this time it worked :D
I just killed the explorer process and voila'...
Thank you guys!!!

dafmat71
July 20th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Well...I dont' know why but this time it worked :D
I just killed the explorer process and voila'...
Thank you guys!!!
No problem, im happy for you, i hate problems!! ;)

dareckibmw
July 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM
restart, refresh all icons by right clicking on desktop.... and do that again if folders still not changed.

...I guess you skipped that part in my post :D
anyways...glad it worked for ya.