PDA

View Full Version : Weird windows 7 error.

Detective RooTz
July 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have a weird error on my machine.

I try to access teamviewer 5, some pictures or a downloaded movie and I get his occasionally. It most occurs with pictures.

I do not know what the exact problem is other than it says I have no permissions to view them when I have not touch anything about permissions and I even give my self permission via the .dll file I have and it still says it.

wassamatteru
July 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Generic error messages are only guesses when it comes to it so don't assume that it's anything to do with permissions necessarily. What manner of device are these files stored on? Does the error persist after a restart? Are you starting the files from shortcuts, from the file manager, run dialog etc. ?

Detective RooTz
July 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Generic error messages are only guesses when it comes to it so don't assume that it's anything to do with permissions necessarily. What manner of device are these files stored on? Does the error persist after a restart? Are you starting the files from shortcuts, from the file manager, run dialog etc. ?

The particular picture I was trying to view is on my C: on my desktop in a folder called "My Stuff"

So, the picture is local.

It's suppose to open with Opera or the Windows photo viewer and it never does with either. Occasionally it will open with opera though.

No the shortcuts because it's the original file I moved to the "My Stuff" folder.

wassamatteru
July 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
The most likely explanation is that the file is corrupted. Try copying it to another folder and see if there's any problems in the transfer and if it still behaves the same in the new directory.

If the file is downloaded or transferred from another computer it may be blocked. You can unblock in the right click > properties > General. Also check the Security and Details tabs too to make sure that you actually do have the permissions you think you should.

Failing all else I'd move "My Stuff" out of Desktop altogether.

Detective RooTz
July 22nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
The most likely explanation is that the file is corrupted. Try copying it to another folder and see if there's any problems in the transfer and if it still behaves the same in the new directory.

If the file is downloaded or transferred from another computer it may be blocked. You can unblock in the right click > properties > General. Also check the Security and Details tabs too to make sure that you actually do have the permissions you think you should.

Failing all else I'd move "My Stuff" out of Desktop altogether.

Why would you move it?

IT's where I keep all my program shortcuts and folder of lol and 4chan stuff and all that.

I've never had this problem, iot just started recently occuring.

JoseyWales
July 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
if you reinstall win7 but keep older files on the drive permisions will be set to the old os user account and they will need to be "owned" by the new os. you can use take control or another such program to set the file or pic to your new user account. not that it's "new" but anything that was on the drive before install will need to have it's security changed to the new user account.

Detective RooTz
July 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
if you reinstall win7 but keep older files on the drive permisions will be set to the old os user account and they will need to be "owned" by the new os. you can use take control or another such program to set the file or pic to your new user account. not that it's "new" but anything that was on the drive before install will need to have it's security changed to the new user account.
I know this is a security risk but I've went around and gave my whole C: and D: full control.

Now, it fixed the image problem.

Detective RooTz
July 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I still have a problem with iexplorer.exe(Internet Explorer)

I have checked. I have full permissions except for special and write but still I get the same error.

I've ran the "Take Ownership" script I got on my whole C: so all my stuff should let me in now.

harveyjerry
July 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I consider the ad hoc network in Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago and had read that people are trying to connect to their iPhone / iPod had problems with it. In fact, the story was never found, no one has managed to win 7 iPhone, and that became my primary research.