PDA

View Full Version : Modem connection stops when using bittorent

vis0nz
July 31st, 2010, 12:21 AM
Any one have any suggestions as to why anytime I download with a bittorent client my internet / network connection dies. The only way to fix this is to unplug the power to the cable modem & allow it to reset. I've had this issue for a long while, and have no knowledge of networking or p2p? sharing. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

wassamatteru
July 31st, 2010, 01:56 PM
There being no obvious explanation for this would suggest to me that you have rubbish bit torrent client software (or your computer has a moral objection to file sharing!) Try a different one!

mcgarr1
August 3rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
you could have your download/upload limit set too high for your connection

ViruS
August 4th, 2010, 02:46 AM
naa, i had teh same problem..hehe
use u torrent 1.8.4 or lower ;)
and search for an firmware update for the router. my problem was that when i had tooo much connections the router just gave up and freezed or something..
after the update the router worked fine..

let me guess...u have a Netgear router?

i would help u more and give u tips but i need to know what OS u are using..so i can write down whats best..

greetings ViruS

vis0nz
August 7th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Too many connections is what i've been hearing. But I dont know how to change it, I def. am using a Netgear router, model WPN824v3. Win7Home Premo

ViruS
August 7th, 2010, 04:46 AM
First off, check if theres a router Firmware update or something, but dont installed it yet..

ill make a tutorial for u in the next hours..just need to do some stuff now ;)

be back, greetz ViruS

vis0nz
August 7th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Nah, no firmware update. Take your time on the tut, I've been dealing with this for a while, so nothings new. Thanks though.

wassamatteru
August 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I def. am using a Netgear router, model WPN824v3. Win7Home Premo

In that case I apologise to your torrent software! What I should have said ... (I'm sure you can fill in the rest of this sentence)! lmao

vis0nz
August 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
lol

vis0nz
August 15th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Any luck on that tut vii?

ViruS
August 15th, 2010, 02:46 AM
:shock: oO....sorry man, i had a lot of work to do in the last days...
im so sorry...

ok, im gonna see if i have it by tommorow evening, ok?
i still need to search an update for ur router, etc etc...hopefully i find something...

ok, i need some slöeep now ;)

cya in the evening then ....

bb

vis0nz
August 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM
All good buddy

ViruS
August 16th, 2010, 01:29 AM
hy,

here i found a Firmware update..

http://www.netgear.de/de/Support/downlo ... l&id=12462 (http://www.netgear.de/de/Support/download.html?func=Detail&id=12462)

dunno if you allready have it..
For the other things, if the router cant handle much connections, there is notz much u can do, better of with buying a decent one..

So, normaly i use these settings in u torrent...

http://www.abload.de/img/unbenaghjnntpmvh.png

now, here it depents on what lets say server or tracker u are using..if u use Open ones then u should turn some stuff on like:
DHT, peer discovery and peer exchange..u also could try to enable ipv6/teredo..
but i dont use this...also when u use open tracker u should disable Protocol Encryption..

http://www.abload.de/img/unbenanntxwbd.png

hals open max limit is set here to 50, it gives me better performance, but since your router has Probs u might wanna test it out what suits u best, starting from 4 ....

i use Utorrent 1.8.4 but 1.6 is also very good...the newer ones didnt suite me good...

heres also good info:

http://www.bootstrike.com/Articles/BitTorrentGuide/

very informative, but not good for PRIVATE TRAckers....and im not saying im using them or do illegal stuff..no i dont..there are trackers out there for legal purpose, like gameupdates.org, etc etc..just to clear that out..;)

ok, i hope this helps u out alil bit...and u get these probs sortet..if not, feel free to pm me and well see if its better to go out and buy a decent router (they are cheap these days..)

or if we can tweak a lil more..

gretez VS

vis0nz
October 6th, 2010, 05:15 PM
_Update_
So, I didnt try the router update, but I did to all the other things you suggested, to no avail.. Either way, I got a day off from work today so I figured I would try & wire my pc directly to my cable modem. I made it farther along when I was downloading "Game-Backups that I previously uploaded" although things still went off. After re-starting my modem, I began to run again, finished 1 download & began seeding, and downloading another, then fail.

CrazySouthernBoy
December 25th, 2010, 11:40 PM
You Should open a Ports for it.
& Your internet could be crashing because there is too many p2p Clients Connecting at one time. You should also put a limit on how many p2p clients that can connect to you.

Letícia®
December 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM
cool great information / / thanks for sharing:girl:

December 31st, 2011, 10:23 PM
depending on your isp they may be kicking you off for using bittorrent. i know from experience comcast does it.

NUMBER48
February 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hello 52642

The problem could be the number of people who take the folder, games or whatever, that you downloaded on your computer and therefore can saturate your line. Like someone said I believe (I do not recall his name over, lament:ambivalence:)

You yourself can set the number of person minimum and maximum that you allow to come to you to connect to the file, or other games.

Otherwise you can limit the passage of your line directly to your router, which would be no worse either at the same time limit from your torrent software

That is, if its helps a bit :Smile: