PDA

View Full Version : dual boot help

_Deano_
August 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
hi everyone ive got windows 7 ultimate yer so i thought ide try a dual boot and do a new partition and i
put windows xp on it now its only giving me the windows xp bootup dont know how to get both the boot options up can any1 help me thanx

Big V
August 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
deano i have it dual booted and here is what i have experienced since i have had to do several reformats due to my own tinkering screwups the easyist way i have found to get it work properly is to install xp first then install windows seven thru xp instead of at bootup on a second partition after you have install windows seven you will need to a little research on a work around registry hack for system restore to work properly in windows seven because xp and seven are not compatible and every time you boot in to xp it will erase the restore points in seven. here is a guide i found to help you out http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/80 ... -7-xp.html (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html)

_Deano_
August 30th, 2010, 09:18 PM
thanx for the help guys :cool:

alienfear
August 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
i'm using now the multiboot, i have 3 HDD, Win XP 40gb, Win7 500gb Sata and vista 80gb....when changing Operating System, i will go to the Bios then boot selecting the HDD where the OS want you to be run...that's all..i'm using this for 7 mnths,theres nothing happen....

Mad--Rabbit
November 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
It depends on what your main hard-drive is. It's usually the C:/ Drive so whatever is on the C drive is what pops up. You'll need a program like the one mentioned by many people who already applied. lol

night_whisper
June 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Or you can simply use diskpart from W7 (using the repair menu on boot) to create partitions, format it properly, assign them letters, then it will be no problems with drive letters and path problems, which W_XP has, even XP doesnt need to be installed on C: partition, it can be on any letter.

If you want to do a complete new installation i can post you commands for actions above. Be cautious if you have SSD, cause XP alligns them wrong and using diskpart you can make them right.

Big V
June 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
night_whisper I hate to say this but you do realize the last couple threads you have post too are very old threads bud
But we do appreciate your willingness to help out bud just hate to see you waste your effort on a subject that probably already been solved