PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE: Rogue Antivirus 2010 is no friend of Internet Explor

razorsedge
September 22nd, 2010, 01:10 AM
If you are one of the many users who jumped on the chance to download the latest beta version of Internet Explorer 9, beware. While the new IE9 is simply awesome, its still beta. The latest variant of the rogue Antivirus 2010 (Alureon.h) is by no means a friend of IE9!

[attachment=2:3reangqd]a2010.jpg[/attachment:3reangqd]

As a user who has fallen prey to this new rogue / virus, while surfing the net using IE9, let me share my personal experience with you.

First of all, I recommend anyone currently using or planning to download the latest IE9 beta, to backup all of their important data on their computer.

The new variant of the Antivirus 2010 labeled Alureon.h, though recognized by current security software like Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, can remove the virus, but the after effects of the removal will disable users from using IE9.

Problems that can arise if effected:

[attachment=1:3reangqd]MSE-antivirus2010.jpg[/attachment:3reangqd]

The virus installs as a Windows Service.
Your Antivirus may or may not even notice as the virus is downloaded and installed until a scan is run. This also goes true for applications such as Malwarebytes.
Current page freezes
When clicking to open a new tab, the page opens with a blank page or the tab freezes upon being clicked.
Cannot close Internet Explorer without forcibly shutting it down.
Upon opening Internet Explorer 9, page loads with blank page and then either freezes or after a few seconds, closes.
Repeated attempts at removing the virus show that virus is removed but upon restarting the computer the virus is reinstalled.

Problems that can arise after the removal of the virus:

[attachment=0:3reangqd]screen2-600x337.jpg[/attachment:3reangqd]

System Files that were infected are now corrupt
If you load Internet Explorer 9, it loads as blank page then shuts down.
Attempts at fixing the corrupted files end with no errors, thus do not get fixed.
Windows Update no longer works with network error. All the recommended fixes for this do not fix this issue as well.
Antivirus, such as Microsoft Security Essentials, relay on the Update Service to download definition files, thus do not work.

There are few things you can do to rectify the problem till you can get everything back in order, but from personal experience, Formatting was the only option that truly worked.

You can uninstall Internet Explorer 9 and revert back to Internet Explorer 8. Seems Internet Explorer 8 will work just fine after virus removal. Reinstalling Internet Explorer 9 does not work. You still wind up with same problems.

The results of the virus may vary system to system as not every user uses the same Antivirus, Anti-Malware Applications, etc. The results from this were from a computer running a currently updated version of Microsoft Security Essential and Malwarebytes.

This article serves as a warning to users, stemming from my own personal experience, after installing the IE9 beta and visiting a blog site to view some Microsoft news. Not sure of which site infected me, as I at the time had about 6 tabs open to various sites, but I have contacted them all to warn them and have since visited them all with no trouble.

Let this serve as a warning to all users. Do not take things for granted. No computer is immune. Always pay attention to the sites you visit, and keep a regular backup of your important data.