PDA

View Full Version : Theme Resource Changer no more dll editing..

razorsedge
October 9th, 2010, 06:55 AM

The days of editing dll's to change themes are now gone....

Theme resource changer installed once on your system will do it's magic for any theme you use.

It's very simple just create 3 folders inside your theme folder with all the images you need for your explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll and your shell32.dll and like magic...

When you apply you theme all your resource images are now changed no editing no rebooting switch themes as often as you like after they have been set up with the images and completly transform your computer in a matter of seconds with Theme Resource Changer...

Package includes theme resource changer for x86 and x64 systems, test theme already set up with the folders and images to show you how its done and how simple it is. After the app is applied you can apply the test theme right away to see how easy it works.

Instructions also included enjoy theme resource changer making your themeing life that much easier :)

Important Update: 22/11/2010 Updated Theme Resource Changer installer to work with all drive letters, it was only reading on C drive previously, also fixed the restart explorer.bat to exit when finished.

Also included the full Tutorial as linked below.

Please not that if you have already installed it and it's working then there is no need to download this update

A tutorial on how to use theme resource changer can be found here: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/31635-How-to-use-theme-resource-changer

Update: 21/04/2011 Thought I had fixed the problem with the drive letter but in case you are still having any problems getting theme resource changer to work then use this reg fix.

Mr GRiM
October 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Nice find bud, i will be using this one for sure :)

Mr GRiM
October 9th, 2010, 07:23 AM
WOW!!! Just tried this and it amazing, thank you so much, you have just made making themes even more fun :gun: :-D

bgjerlow designs
October 9th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Nice find Tucker, will try it out later :)

housry23
October 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Very nice. If the theme makers make there themes with these folders already there and in the right format, this will work out nicely. I don't think the average joe will be able to figure out what to put in the folders. I know I am a little confused by it because when I download a theme I don't see any bitmap images or anything like that. I just get explorer.exe and the .dll's and what not, so if anyone can help me to know how to set the themes up, I would be forever grateful to you.

Mr GRiM
October 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Very nice. If the theme makers make there themes with these folders already there and in the right format, this will work out nicely. I don't think the average joe will be able to figure out what to put in the folders. I know I am a little confused by it because when I download a theme I don't see any bitmap images or anything like that. I just get explorer.exe and the .dll's and what not, so if anyone can help me to know how to set the themes up, I would be forever grateful to you.

When I get a bit of time I will make a new section and we can start adding some cool stuff for this app as png's so we can all benefit from it, plus I will make all the ones for my themes as little mini pack add ons for them so you can just throw them in the theme folder of any of my themes and it will work. :cool:

nofx1994
October 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
a great find razor i know i will be using this on my themes from here on out thanks :gun:

quaz1957
October 10th, 2010, 05:09 AM
rr - nice work - it's a dream in heaven - i'll try it on for size - thank you !!

quaz1957
October 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Profile comments
re - WOW ! ! ! ! - This is really IMPRESSIVE and a milestone - i'm not a young man - crossed my fingers and followed your good instructions and like you said "it's magic" - well done -you are a god and i'm greatful. after i rebooted, i noticed the app changed my start button to the current theme vs my own start button. apparently the current theme had it's own button inside theme file and also, your theme " black aero" is beautiful - it has all the features i appreciate in a well designed theme except for the old fashion start menu but, atleast, you modified it with a square user pic frame which is a great improvement - kudo's !! your not only an awesome vs theme designer but, now a god too - thx this app is a godsend for someone like me that loves pc customization - sadly microsoft doesn't hire you guys to create all their theme designs cuz, their designs greatly need to be more creative and upgraded too - enough said - your now on my god's list !

quaz1957
October 10th, 2010, 06:44 AM
re - question ?? does "black aero" come in dark theme ? pls advise, thx !!

razorsedge
October 10th, 2010, 10:31 PM
realy nice to see all of you are enjoying this app for any themer or theme user its a must have takes all the work out of using themes :)

quaz1957

Ok on your 2 posts above, I take no credit for this app I did not make it just posted it after testing it out myself and seeing how great it was not something I made but whoever did sure is owed a lot of thanks cause it is a wonderful app they deserve the credit for it lol

As for the theme lol sry all I did was throw in a theme with the the things done to it so ppl could see how it was done and how it works, I did not design that one myself I just threw it in there so ppl could test to see how easy it is to use this lol

housry23
October 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM

When I get a bit of time I will make a new section and we can start adding some cool stuff for this app as png's so we can all benefit from it, plus I will make all the ones for my themes as little mini pack add ons for them so you can just throw them in the theme folder of any of my themes and it will work. :cool:

Thanks Mr GRiM! Much appreciated. It would be great to have a thread explaining how to set these folders up. I think this little program is a must have for anyone that likes to change themes often, which is me, but I guess being a n00b to this kind of stuff it is a little hard for me to understand. Now sit me in front of a broken PC or laptop, I can tear it apart and have it fixed or find out the problem quickly, but getting into system files and how they work is confusing to me. Have a great day everyone and thanks again razorsedge for sharing. :burns:

razorsedge
October 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM

Thanks Mr GRiM! Much appreciated. It would be great to have a thread explaining how to set these folders up. I think this little program is a must have for anyone that likes to change themes often, which is me, but I guess being a n00b to this kind of stuff it is a little hard for me to understand. Now sit me in front of a broken PC or laptop, I can tear it apart and have it fixed or find out the problem quickly, but getting into system files and how they work is confusing to me. Have a great day everyone and thanks again razorsedge for sharing. :burns:

Housry23,

If you look in the pack I wrote out instructions on how to use the installer and for setup, then just have a look at the theme folder inside it and you can see how to set up all of your themes to use it, it's very simple all the info and way to set it up is right there for you :)

Big V
October 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Has anyone tested using other tools (start button changer, logon changer) or tried modding system files (.dll,.exe, and .cpl) to see if everything still works after using this tool? I had issues with not being able to change things after using 7TSP and wonder if this tool will allow modding after using it to install themes.

nofx1994
October 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM
yeah i have had no issues with it all. i have been messing with it a few days now

razorsedge
October 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Has anyone tested using other tools (start button changer, logon changer) or tried modding system files (.dll,.exe, and .cpl) to see if everything still works after using this tool? I had issues with not being able to change things after using 7TSP and wonder if this tool will allow modding after using it to install themes.

Bigv you have the wrong idea of this tool :)

It does not install the themes for you like others ones do, You download the installer it's adds a dll and some reg tweaks to your system thats it, it's not an app or an installer of any kind, the problem you face with using all those other apps together is a lot of them use the same things as the other apps so what happens is they start to conflict with each other and thats where you get errors.

With this one your not installing an app at all it just makes some small tweaks to use memory instaed of editing dll's or exe's. After you install this there is no more of a need to be editing dll's or exe's except the timedate.cpl and the one for the system properties those you still need to do yourself. But what this does is you set the folders up inside your theme place the theme in your windows\resources\themes folder and then apply the theme as normal from personalization. When you apply the theme your start orb, explorerframe buttons and images along with the shell32.dll images and icons if you like for the shell32.dll will now be changed to the ones in the folder of your theme.

This does not edit an exe's or dll's at all but rather does it from memory if you switch back to another theme that is not setup to use this then you will find that it will go back to whatever images you have in the explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll and shell32.dll on your system.

Unlike all the other apps out there this actually takes away the need to edit any of those exe's or dll's everything else edits those where this one does not edit them at all but rather uses memory to show the images and your exe's and dll's are left untouched :)

Bristow
October 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM
It keeps getting better and better lol

Big V
October 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
One last ? before I try this changer. Do u still need to have universal theme patcher installed?

Mr GRiM
October 13th, 2010, 11:55 PM
One last ? before I try this changer. Do u still need to have universal theme patcher installed?

Well you need something to run custom themes still, personally I don't patch my dll's, i use UxStyle and that just runs as a service and allows custom themes.

Mr GRiM
October 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I installed the x86 version and it said it was succeessful and I tried to install the black aero theme but it did not work(the seperate images), I checked the folders and the images are there and I tried restarting explorer and rebooting but the start orb and other system file images dont want to change, I dont have any other theme application installed on my computer and I have my files patched with vista glass, win 7 32bit. also I have modded my own system files and they were present when I tried this app so do I need to have standard system files for this to work? :)

OK I just installed a fresh x86 VM and all I did was install UxStyle Core and then I run the x86 theme resource patcher and then installed my Poison theme with those extra folders in it and applied it with no problems at all

tibroski
October 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
wow
very cool indeed

tnx ...:

razorsedge
October 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I installed the x86 version and it said it was succeessful and I tried to install the black aero theme but it did not work(the seperate images), I checked the folders and the images are there and I tried restarting explorer and rebooting but the start orb and other system file images dont want to change, I dont have any other theme application installed on my computer and I have my files patched with vista glass, win 7 32bit. also I have modded my own system files and they were present when I tried this app so do I need to have standard system files for this to work? :)

OK I just installed a fresh x86 VM and all I did was install UxStyle Core and then I run the x86 theme resource patcher and then installed my Poison theme with those extra folders in it and applied it with no problems at all

Ok, I may consider using Uxstyle core instead of vista glazz then, and I will let you's know if it was that

DEvil you can also use these from my post here http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/29112-Prepacthed-windows-7-theme-files-to-enable-3rd-party-themes these are the 3 theme files already patched you just switch these 3 with the ones in your system32 folder on x86 or x64 these are already patched to allow 3rd party themes this is what I use myself :)

cyberbliss
October 23rd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Ok razorsedge.. please correct me if I'm wrong.

I get the process of adding the folders alright.

After that process, I would need to add my images according to the exact size and file name (whatever#.png) to one of the three folders.

And in order to do that I would have to open the systen32 files in restorator and view them first, making note of the exact # and size.

Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks

Mr GRiM
October 23rd, 2010, 05:44 AM
Ok razorsedge.. please correct me if I'm wrong.

I get the process of adding the folders alright.

After that process, I would need to add my images according to the exact size and file name (whatever#.png) to one of the three folders.

And in order to do that I would have to open the systen32 files in restorator and view them first, making note of the exact # and size.

Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks

The images need to be the same size, name and layout as the ones you find in the dll's, the only difference is you only need to use png images not Bitmaps, you can just use the ones in the test theme as templates, that would be the easiest way to do it.

cyberbliss
October 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hey guys,

I am having the same issue as big v after installing 7tsp by design theme.

I wanted a new start orb so I tried adding some start orb .png images by lefty to the nearly created .exe file and now have the defualt windows orb.

Can't get rid of it....so I uninstalled the theme with 7tsp, went through the motions and re-installed it.

The default orb remains....?????? Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

razorsedge
October 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hey guys,

I am having the same issue as big v after installing 7tsp by design theme.

I wanted a new start orb so I tried adding some start orb .png images by lefty to the nearly created .exe file and now have the defualt windows orb.

Can't get rid of it....so I uninstalled the theme with 7tsp, went through the motions and re-installed it.

The default orb remains....?????? Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi cyberbliss

The png images you are adding for the start orb do they have the tranz background as a png does or were they the bitmaps with that balck background then you just made them pngs. If you did the latter that will not work they need to be pngs with the tranz background to work, so basically if you open up the test theme from this program and look at the explorer.exe folder inside the theme folder at how the start orb images are they must be like that.

I have said previously in the thread that it's not the best idea to mix and match programs as well. The problem that arrises is the apps conflict with one another and cause you to get errors if you have the default windows orb showing now after it was changed from the 7stp program and showing another then windows has replaced the explorer.exe back to default through an error as that can be the only reason it would be the default orb there.

You need to pick to use one app or another, this is not an app really just a dll and reg tweaks but using another app to have changed things as in start orb changer or 7stp whatever the case is for the app you use that program could have a hold on the explorer.exe and this is now why you are getting errors with it, a lot of these apps will tell you that if you use one you can't use another one or errors will occour.

Are you sure that you have ownership of the explorer.exe that you are trying to edit as well this can also be the case as to why the images you edit are not coming up I have created tuts for both taking ownership http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/30412-Take-Ownership-tweak-and-manual-take-ownership-for-exe-s-cpl and how to edit images in cpl, exe or dll files http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/31050-How-to-edit-images-inside-your-dll-s-exe-s-or-cpl-files that you can look at there and see to make sure you are doing things the right way :)

cyberbliss
October 23rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Hey razorsedge,

Thanks for the info.

I have since uninstalled all themes and programs...every trace and folder! I've collected waaaay too many as any noob would do!

I went ahead and re-installed the 7tsp along with the "By Design" from Mr Grim.

Installed without a hitch.

Installed theme resource changer - added the three folders to the windows\resources\thenes\by deign folder - used some of the resources/images that were included the in Black aero theme that came with the theme resource changer. Re-booted the explorer...and no changes have taken place.

I went ahead and used the widows start button changer and successfully changed the defualt orb to a nice I got fron lefty today.

So I there may be an issue with compatibility of the two programs????

I will try taking ownership of the files once again..maybe that will jar it loose. The folders are still in the theme loaded with whatever .png images that came with the Black aero theme.

I'll give it a shot.

Thank you for your help...you're tutorials are awesome!!

cya

adampikedj
October 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I'm on windows 7 and all i get is "This program is not compatible with your version of windows and cannot be installed" plz help

bgjerlow designs
October 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm on windows 7 and all i get is "This program is not compatible with your version of windows and cannot be installed" plz help
You are most likely installing using the wrong installer. Remember to use the right one for your Windows 7
If your not sure if you have 32-bit or 64-bit, right click the computer link in the start menu and select properties. Then you can see it under System Type ;)
Also; x86 is 32-bit, x64 is 64-bit

Ryan_Se7en
October 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Can this software allow me to change the background of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel of black theme from black to white color? If it can, how can I do it?

Ryan_Se7en
October 29th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Oh thanks, do you have the link for the software you just mention

rijnton
October 29th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Could you tell me what I maybe are doing wrong ?
I tried to install the x64 version (I definitely have 64bit), it starts and tells me that explorer.exe is stopped and then it runs but it doesn't finish. I waited 5 minutes and still nothing. I assume it doesn't take so much time or am I wrong ?
Thanks in advance.

razorsedge
October 29th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Could you tell me what I maybe are doing wrong ?
I tried to install the x64 version (I definitely have 64bit), it starts and tells me that explorer.exe is stopped and then it runs but it doesn't finish. I waited 5 minutes and still nothing. I assume it doesn't take so much time or am I wrong ?
Thanks in advance.

rijnton at the end the cmd windows does not close itself just close that window and thats the end it has finished install :)

rijnton
October 30th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your reply.
I think I was not clear enough. Not only the cmd window stays open but also the installer, telling me: "please wait....". when I close the installer window after some time I get the message that the program is not installed.

HaCkthEplAneT
November 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
thanks i will give this a try

tomatus
November 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hey there. When I try to install on Windows 7 x64, I get an error that the program explorer has been terminated. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

tomatus
November 21st, 2010, 04:00 AM
Hey there. When I try to install on Windows 7 x64, I get an error that the program explorer has been terminated. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

thats not an error, the program is meant to do that, have a look at the instructions next time :yawn:

Well, I looked at the instructions, and it says nothing about that. :sigh: The program folder shows only an option to uninstall the program, not the program itself. Any ideas?

razorsedge
November 21st, 2010, 05:14 AM

thats not an error, the program is meant to do that, have a look at the instructions next time :yawn:

Well, I looked at the instructions, and it says nothing about that. :sigh: The program folder shows only an option to uninstall the program, not the program itself. Any ideas?

Hi,

Devil is right in what he said when this installs it has to terminate explorer and restart it to install the changer. The reason u don't see an app is because this is not an application it just adds a dll to your program files folder and a few reg tweaks its not an app. But it must restart explorer to install itself to work what this does is it makes your images change from memory as opposed to having to edit dll's :)

Mr GRiM
November 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM
Updated the first post with newer version with a few bug fixes :smug:

razorsedge
November 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM
Updated the first post with newer version with a few bug fixes :smug:

Nice one grimmer thanks for the update daman

bhast2
November 22nd, 2010, 02:09 AM
this program doesn't work on my x86 system anymore
after the updated version got put on here
The older one that was here before works great

razorsedge
November 22nd, 2010, 02:35 AM
this program doesn't work on my x86 system anymore
after the updated version got put on here
The older one that was here before works great

Hi Bhast2
Did you do a restart before you installed the new one

If you didn't and installed the new one straight after it would have completed the uninstall from the previous one and deleted the dll file

:)

bhast2
November 22nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
I didn't have the old one installed yet this is a new netbook with a new system without any mods on it yet
just patched system files to allow custom VS's
So the restart wouldn't fix the problem as it wasn't installed on this system in the first place

I think ya all still need to find a way to support UIFILE changes

razorsedge
November 22nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
I didn't have the old one installed yet this is a new netbook with a new system without any mods on it yet
just patched system files to allow custom VS's
So the restart wouldn't fix the problem as it wasn't installed on this system in the first place

I think ya all still need to find a way to support UIFILE changes

Np bhast2 actually sry there was a slight bug with the updated one its been fixed now and new links added sry about that u can dl the new one and use it now :)

bhast2
November 23rd, 2010, 12:09 AM
awesome thanks for the update

dareckibmw
November 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM
beautiful idea! whoever made this! Thank You :happy:

Now I need to convert some .bmp orbs to .png ....I could use some help here guys, I suck in P-shop :cheeky:

bhast2
November 27th, 2010, 12:18 AM
you let me know what you need converted and I can give ya a hand

dareckibmw
November 27th, 2010, 02:09 AM
you let me know what you need converted and I can give ya a hand

Thanks a lot buddy, but problem is solved already Thanks to Dave Senior :party2:

laurentbaffy670
December 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
This program is a marvel but I have one worries, when I apply my theme, everything takes place well but when I reboot my computer, the theme is still there but " starting orb " and "user pic" are to replace with the old. However I followed well instructions, my pictures are png there and I have my three files definitely has the good place. I add that my icones is definitely png there and that I put well the three files. Help me, thank you in advance. :crying:

AceShinobi
December 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
This program is a marvel but I have one worries, when I apply my theme, everything takes place well but when I reboot my computer, the theme is still there but " starting orb " and "user pic" are to replace with the old. However I followed well instructions, my pictures are png there and I have my three files definitely has the good place. I add that my icones is definitely png there and that I put well the three files. Help me, thank you in advance. :crying:

It might be because you've used other theming programs in the past, that's what happened with me. To fix it, restore to your backup system files, ie. explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll and shell32.dll

By the way, I freaking love this application, so much better than having to take ownership of files and then rebooting / logging out to see changes / having to do a system restore cause something went wrong

razorsedge
December 16th, 2010, 01:34 AM
This program is a marvel but I have one worries, when I apply my theme, everything takes place well but when I reboot my computer, the theme is still there but " starting orb " and "user pic" are to replace with the old. However I followed well instructions, my pictures are png there and I have my three files definitely has the good place. I add that my icones is definitely png here and that I put well the three files. Help me, thank you in advance. :crying:

As AceShinobi said your issue is most likly that you have used start orb changers and such in the past, the problem when u use those apps is they put locks on your exe's or dll's so they stay associated with the program. I have told many along the way if you read the info of the apps that the makers put on their sites for them most say not to use any others with them. What you need to try is retaking ownership yourself of the exe and dll files to see if you can switch it back to you having full edit abilities of them there is a tutorial here on how to take ownership: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/30412-Take-Ownership-tweak-and-manual-take-ownership-for-exe-s-cpl

If that does not work then you need to get fresh copies of those dll's and exe's you have used the programs to edit such as explorer.exe and so forth and replace your current ones with the fresh versions :)

Thats' the big difference between this and any of the other apps out there this one will not edit your dll's its all done by memory so your dll's and exe's stay untouched :)

ENiGMAXG2
January 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
The program will be compatible with alpha-channel BMP's?, I'm designing a theme that includes semi-transparent navigation buttons, and Theme Resource Changer doesn't render that buttons PNG's correctly (looks more darker, nearly opaque) [explorerframe.dll]

My second problem is: the start button reverts to the default one after restart. I need to re-apply my theme to get it back (most users will not like doing this every time after restart). Is there a solution?

razorsedge
January 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM
The program will be compatible with alpha-channel BMP's?, I'm designing a theme that includes semi-transparent navigation buttons, and Theme Resource Changer doesn't render that buttons PNG's correctly (looks more darker, nearly opaque) [explorerframe.dll]

My second problem is: the start button reverts to the default one after restart. I need to re-apply my theme to get it back (most users will not like doing this every time after restart). Is there a solution?

Hi ENiGMAXG2

For your first question no the program is not compatable with bmps just png's sry

as for the problem with your start button have u been using any other apps to change your start button previously and are they still installed on your system because this is applied from memory for the start orb it does not require you to reapply the theme after a restart for the orb since it' s only your start orb thats doing it but your exploreframe images and nav panel are still there you would need to look at any other apps you have used to change your orb with as they would be conflicting with theme resource changer.

slimtimmy
January 20th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Thank you i will enjoy this very much

ENiGMAXG2
January 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I have performed a Windows reinstall (full clean) and start button not working.

The language of my windows version is spanish, it matters?

Mr GRiM
January 26th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have performed a Windows reinstall (full clean) and start button not working.

The language of my windows version is spanish, it matters?
Install my Blade theme and see how you go, make sure you have enabled custom themes first though, I use UxStyle Core which runs as a service and doesn't require you to patch any system files. if you have already patched them it will not install though, you have to do one or the other.

dreamer567
February 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks, this is a very nice piece of software. :cool:

AceShinobi
February 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
any idea how this works with SP1?

xeong
April 25th, 2011, 11:21 PM

I'm wondering the same thing for win7 x64 sp1.. anyone tried and tested?

bgjerlow designs
April 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM

I'm wondering the same thing for win7 x64 sp1.. anyone tried and tested?
Yes it does, works without any problems for me on x64 windows 7 sp1 ;)

EazyRideTc
April 26th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I did try to use it and got me confuse with make folder for them or what do I need install on my pc to use that program ? just only Theme Res. Changer ? or other more programs to install some for my pc ? help me bit so I can try and see how it go... :idk:

razorsedge
April 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I did try to use it and got me confuse with make folder for them or what do I need install on my pc to use that program ? just only Theme Res. Changer ? or other more programs to install some for my pc ? help me bit so I can try and see how it go... :idk:

HI :)

You need not install any other software just make sure your theme files are pacthed to use 3rd party themes you can find info on that here: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/31634-How-to-patch-your-theme-files-to-enable-3rd-party-themes

That patch is just so u can use themes other then the default windows ones on your computer

Then install theme resource changer and any theme that has been setup to use the changer will automatically replace your start orb nav panel explorer frame buttons among other things when you apply the theme. This does not edit your dll's in any way its just done from memory.

Your questions about having folders setup for the themes to work with it a complete tutorial about that can be found here: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/31635-How-to-use-theme-resource-changer

most themes from this site are already set to work with it :)

Xeno Templar
May 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
thank you, i really would rather not edit/change my system files

Exile
May 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
So i won't be needing restorer to change my clock ?

I tried copy the clock pictures from the extra folder of a theme i dl'ed from here, and i pasted it in the folders too see but that for sure didn't work.

Theres app a bit of a learning curve needed around here.

bgjerlow designs
May 16th, 2011, 06:09 PM
So i won't be needing restorer to change my clock ?

I tried copy the clock pictures from the extra folder of a theme i dl'ed from here, and i pasted it in the folders too see but that for sure didn't work.

Theres app a bit of a learning curve needed around here.
Sorry to say, but the theme resource changer does not support all system files. Only ones that it supports is shell32, explorer & explorerframe. The rest you will still have to manually edit the dll files

bunbao
July 6th, 2011, 04:08 AM
awesome, thanks!

dekaser
August 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Thanks, finally we can use this amazing application and this is for free. Really appreciate your hard work.

Eturnalsouljah
August 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Ok so I hate askin dumb questions and dont post much, but Ive had a good search around and nobody seems to have my problem.... I installed this theme resource changer and followed instructions and everything seems to work fine except any theme I try windows aero is turned off... any ideas why? Thanks to all you guys for the cool resources, I love peronalising my computer!

Haver
September 21st, 2011, 12:56 PM
Greetings,

I currently have Theme Resource Changer installed and has been working fine, except for one problem I have found. Whenever I restart my pc, my start menu icon resets into to the windows orb and I am forced to reload the theme in order to replace it. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Best regards,
Haver

razorsedge
September 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hi haver :)

By any chance before u installed theme resource changer were u using any other type of start orb changer app?

Haver
September 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
nope, did not use anything

unrealism
October 31st, 2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks. Will try and see what's it worth.

johnmitz
December 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
nice one !!

XSignia
January 12th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Hey, I'm sorry for the trouble, but...
My netbook has too small of a monitor res to run the installer, and I don't have a spare monitor to hook up via vga. Is there any way around this? Maybe a version of the installer for other resolutions? I have a max resolution of 1024x576, just 24 few pixels on the height part T.T
Had a similar problem with Adobe products, but at the time I had a spare monitor. Thank you for any and all help you give me. It is appreciated.

~TripleAceS~
January 12th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Thank You For Sharing This
With All Of Us !!!

Mr GRiM
January 12th, 2012, 04:47 AM
My netbook has too small of a monitor res to run the installer, and I don't have a spare monitor to hook up via vga. Is there any way around this? Maybe a version of the installer for other resolutions? I have a max resolution of 1024x576, just 24 few pixels on the height part T.T
Had a similar problem with Adobe products, but at the time I had a spare monitor. Thank you for any and all help you give me. It is appreciated.
Couldn't you just move the window ort maybe put the taskbar on auto hide?

8pecxstudios
January 12th, 2012, 05:40 AM

you could right click on it go to property's select comparability then select run in 640x480 screen resolution click apply then ok then run the program see if that works out for you

bhast2
March 11th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Will this be updated for windows 8

D3X
June 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
Any 1 kno if this will work with server08 r2 in the near future

Tildie
July 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Download links are broken. Please fix. Really awesome them liking it.

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Download links are broken. Please fix. Really awesome them liking it.
http://imageshack.us/m/534/857/infoqk.png
hello Tildie
you can download it here
http://virtualcustoms.net/images/Forum_Pics/download.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?1s3qt671sxkrndb (http://www.mediafire.com/?1s3qt671sxkrndb)
http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=48512&d=1318717506

razorsedge
July 18th, 2012, 02:07 AM
link edited new link added

Jaysp656
July 25th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Where is a good place to get support for Theme Resource Patcher? Something happened on my computer (i think it was when I installed QTTabBar for windows explorer) and now it does not work at all.

Additional Info: If I install Uxstyle or use Universal Theme Patcher then most of the theme works but the navigation buttons do not change and the side menu of the control panel is light blue.

razorsedge
July 25th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Where is a good place to get support for Theme Resource Patcher? Something happened on my computer (i think it was when I installed QTTabBar for windows explorer) and now it does not work at all.

Additional Info: If I install Uxstyle or use Universal Theme Patcher then most of the theme works but the navigation buttons do not change and the side menu of the control panel is light blue.

Have you tried to reinstall theme resource changer again possibly qttab bar changed the registry settings of theme resource changer, as well u want to stick with universal theme patcher, uxstyle core is buggy especially after the upgrade to win 7 sp1 its not very stable and most times does not work universal theme patcher will give u no issues :)

July 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Have you tried to reinstall theme resource changer again possibly qttab bar changed the registry settings of theme resource changer, as well u want to stick with universal theme patcher, uxstyle core is buggy especially after the upgrade to win 7 sp1 its not very stable and most times does not work universal theme patcher will give u no issues :)

Jaysp656 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/207406-Jaysp656), i can tell you from experience qttab isn't the problem unless it is interacting with something else. the navigation buttons not changing can be simply due to another theme you were using bleeding through. when i logoff and back on, or restart when my desktop shortcuts folder first launches sometimes my navigation buttons will be black arrows. if i close it and relaunch it the buttons skin correctly for the skin i'm running. i suggest only using universal theme patcher and resource hacker, and not running uxstyle. as for the blue side panels that could be the particular theme you're running. some of the older themes you had to change the side panels by hand. it would be helpful to know which themes you are running and if the theme has a selfinstaller or is a cmd or 7tsp installer if you are uninstalling it before switching themes.

Jaysp656
July 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I was using Mr GRiM's Blade theme when I noticed the side panel and nav buttons. The problem persists even if I change to a different theme. Blade is my favorite theme, but I also have Zero-G, Poison, Rise of the Primes, and Red District. When the problem first appeared the start menu button was the original and unchanging as well (for all themes) until I reinstalled the Blade theme. Now it will change between themes. I have been using the Blade theme's 7tsp icon pack.

Here is a side pic of a window that shows both the nav buttons and side bar:

I am using Win7 Ultimate x64.
In the above link/pic, I am using Universal Theme Patcher and Theme Resource Changer x64 (which doesn't seem to be doing anything when the Patcher is uninstalled). I have Resource Hacker, but I'm not sure how to use it with Universal Theme Patcher.

Big V
July 25th, 2012, 07:57 PM
well first off you need to have both theme resource changer installed and universal theme patcher install. Make sure you are using the correct version for your operating system x64 for 64bit OS or x86 for a 32bit OS

Next thing i would check is your text dpi setting and make sure it set to 100% - controlpanel/display/set_custom_text_size

Jaysp656
July 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM
well first off you need to have both theme resource changer installed and universal theme patcher install. Make sure you are using the correct version for your operating system x64 for 64bit OS or x86 for a 32bit OS

Next thing i would check is your text dpi setting and make sure it set to 100% - controlpanel/display/set_custom_text_size

I just reinstalled both for x64 which is what my OS is and nothing has changed. text dpi is set to 100%.

robj2005
July 25th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I have had this same problem,just like Big V said,"check your dpi settings" and also go to your folder options,then go to "view",make sure "launch folders in a separate process" is unchecked. After I did that,everything worked fine

Jaysp656
July 25th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I have had this same problem,just like Big V said,"check your dpi settings" and also go to your folder options,then go to "view",make sure "launch folders in a separate process is unchecked" After I did that,everything worked fine

That's it! The "launch folders in a separate process" option was checked. I did it a day or two ago. Uncheck it, and now it now works fine. Thanks for the help.

robj2005
July 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM
That's it! The "launch folders in a separate process" option was checked. I did it a day or two ago. Uncheck it, and now it now works fine. Thanks for the help.

Your welcome,I'm glad it worked for you :tu:

Big V
July 25th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Cool glad you got it fixed and thanks robj for the assist

robj2005
July 26th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Cool glad you got it fixed and thanks robj for the assist

Your welcome Big V :tu:

Warlord2000
August 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
will this be updated for win8 when it comes out on Aug 15? (well after that but updated in general for win8)?

razorsedge
August 12th, 2012, 07:30 AM
will this be updated for win8 when it comes out on Aug 15? (well after that but updated in general for win8)?

not sure about that as there are things like the start orb u cant have in win 8 they actually removed the code for the start orb all together so u cant even put it back if u wanted it there, with windows 8 they have removed the code to be able to modify a lot of things just taken it right out so not even 3rd party apps would help in that cause the code needed in the os to make it work no longer exists :)

Other aspects also like aero are gone as well the stripped that right out of it too so all u have is basic themes as well.

August 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM

i wouldn't bother updating anything for windows 8. sales on 8 will make sales for vista pre sp1 look like record sales. i believe microsour will be lucky to get 1 out of every 7 win 7 user to purchase win 8. game manufactures are already boycotting 8.

HammerJack
October 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Could anyone please tell me more about the download for the Reg Fix that has been added to the opening post?
How do I tell if I need to apply this fix? Or what would be some symptoms?

Thanks in advance..

razorsedge
October 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Could anyone please tell me more about the download for the Reg Fix that has been added to the opening post?
How do I tell if I need to apply this fix? Or what would be some symptoms?

Thanks in advance..

Hi Bud :)

The drive fix is if you have your main drive your using on the computer not as c drive maybe u have it as 1 drive d drive something like that and can't get theme resource changer to work cause the drive is something other then c that would be the need for the drive fix :)

HammerJack
October 9th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the comeback bud, very much appreciated and glad to hear you are of the class that can address this type of issue..

HammerJack
October 12th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Hi Bud :)

The drive fix is if you have your main drive your using on the computer not as c drive maybe u have it as 1 drive d drive something like that and can't get theme resource changer to work cause the drive is something other then c that would be the need for the drive fix :)

Hope it's not too much to bother you with another question about the reg fix.

I was doing some testing and I noticed that when the installer starts, it will ask you to confirm the folder location.

Since there is a drop down menu that allows you to browse, could I not choose a different drive here?
For example. Say I had Windows installed on drive "E" and I choose to browse and install on that drive.
Would I still need to run this reg fix?

Hope your well today and thanks again.

bhast2
November 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
will this work on Windows 8

8pecxstudios
November 4th, 2012, 09:56 PM
will this work on Windows 8

as far as i know a whole new app would have to be made for it to work on win 8 i might be wrong tho give it a try to find out but im highly dout full

jrich
May 4th, 2013, 12:48 AM
works super thanks for the download

Vanity
June 28th, 2013, 07:16 PM
It says the download file is deleted. :/

Walkerlos
July 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM
File is dead, tried it through http and a download script.

ONE MAN ARMY
July 6th, 2013, 10:04 PM
File is dead, tried it through http and a download script.

Witch file are you trying to download? I just checked the download for theme resource changer and it works. If you need Theme Resource Changer I have it on this link. Both x64 and x86. http://www.mediafire.com/download/7r95ef5zanq27mk/Theme_Resource_Changer.rar

RICH2466
August 30th, 2013, 11:18 PM
GOOD INFO thank you

Makeira
December 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM
How come my folders and stuff aren't changing too. The start menu and button changed just not the folders can anyone tell me why?

gwolfy33
January 6th, 2014, 02:30 AM
Require at least 1 post to view signatures

IceBabee
January 7th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Just wanted to Thank you for this!!!!! It has been a blessing I'll tell ya what!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tu::)

Rz_7
January 8th, 2014, 12:05 AM
outstanding tool man! :Smile: Thx!

musclehead52
January 8th, 2014, 03:30 AM
thats really nice curious if theres a version that works on 8 and 8.1

max68
January 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Fantastic job I've already tried it with poison theme for the 8.1 Sig.Grim and it is wonderful thank you so much sharing and work

Spoots
May 10th, 2014, 01:59 AM
So I've been racking my brain around this maybe someone can assist me or maybe i just need a second set of "eyes" to tell me I missed something. I have the theme changer installed and I can install skins but some of the icons will not change and the start bar/icon doesn't go with the theme either. I'm running a x64bit system on Windows 7. If anyone has any advance it would be greatly appreciated.

Destroyer
May 23rd, 2014, 04:42 AM
Just purchased some HUD themes on VC today. Resource changer makes it so much easier to use themes. I can't get it to change my Navigation arrows, Windows Logo in SystemScreen and the Start Orb. Any advise on how to get the HUD installer/Resource Changer to change them? Thanks in advance. (Win 7 x64 Patched/Resource Changer)

jesus.littleboy
June 8th, 2014, 05:10 PM
THANKS

jesus.littleboy
June 12th, 2014, 12:03 PM
thanks

12g28m
October 8th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Thx 4 dl

katts2005
October 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I have been using tune-up styler but I know that my themes are not right. I just don't know what to do with the icons or the cursors. I have iconpackager and cursorfx. the universal theme patcher doesn't work for me and I am not sure how to use your theme changer. please help!!!! Katts2005

johnnyzdt
November 25th, 2014, 12:02 AM
How to download I dont find the download link pls help me

ONE MAN ARMY
November 25th, 2014, 12:48 AM
How to download I dont find the download link pls help me

Link is right there at the bottom you can see it in the image below.

xenzombie
July 13th, 2015, 11:13 AM
This is a wicked lil app. Thanks for the post.

angelica58
March 10th, 2019, 06:57 PM
hola !! soy nueva en el foro y me interesa mucho todo esto publicado , espero puedan ayudarme desde ya muchas gracias y un saludo a todos:asombrado::asombrado:

--EDIT--

Hello !! I am new to the forum and I am very interested in all this published, I hope you can help me from now thank you very much and greetings to all :amazed: :amazed:

Padre Pedro
March 10th, 2019, 10:22 PM
angelica58 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/321554-angelica58)
:girl:

dfr
April 13th, 2020, 07:42 PM
good views

meronaman386
June 3rd, 2020, 02:36 AM
hi have a good day

jrb3rd
December 17th, 2021, 03:45 AM
sometimes finding testing and sharing for others is just as important. some one can write a program but until they find a use for the program its just code