PDA

View Full Version : How to edit images inside your dll,s exe's or cpl files

razorsedge
October 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM
How to edit images in dll's, .cpl's and exe's using restorator

In this tutorial I will show you how to edit images for themes in your cpl's, dll's and exe files

Step 1. First make a folder on your desktop or my documents whichever you wish it makes no difference and name it whatever you like
the name does not matter.

Step 2. You will now need to go to your system32 folder located here cdrive\windows\system32 and scroll in the folder to the
.cpl, .exe or .dll your would like to edit ( for this tutorial I will be using the timedate.cpl as the example). Once you have
located your file you will now need to take ownership of it. There is 2 ways to do this with dll's you can simple use a take ownership
tweak for .cpl's and .exe's you will need to take ownership manually. I have created a tutorial for that here on both methods just
follow the tutorial it's not a hard process either way the tutorial can be found here: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/30412-Take-Ownership-tweak-and-manual-take-ownership-for-exe-s-cpl

Step 3. Once you have taken ownership of the file you will now right click on the file and copy it and paste it to the folder you have made on your desktop or in your my documents folder.

Step 4. Once the file has been copied to the folder open up restorator click file in the top right corner and open then navigate to the folder where you have copied your file to and select it. once open in restorator you will now notice a set of folders in the dll,
exe or cpl in the case of the timedate.cpl it will be the png folder that we will edit our images in as showin in the screen below you just click the little arrow head at the left of the folder to expand it.

if you are doing this process or the explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll when you have it open in restorator it will be the bitmap folder you will edit images in instead of the png folder as in the timedate.cpl that is being used for this tut I will show you the explorerframe.dll in restorator below:

Step 5. Now open the folder where you have the images you are going to replace in the dll, exe or cpl file. The images will be numbered the same as what you see in the png or bitmap folder in the exe, cpl or dll file. If you are making your own images the numbers do not have to be the same when you make them as long as you make them the same size and type as in the dll meaning in bitmap format or png format, because when you move the images over reatorator will automatically number them the same in your file. So you just drag and drop the images from your image folder to the same number in the file

Step 6. Once you have replaced all the images in the dll, exe or cpl file you will now go to the top left of restorator and click file then in the drop down menu click save and close the application you have now replaced the images in your file.

Step 7. Now open your System32 folder go to the dll, exe or cpl file you would like to replace and rename it to .old so in the case of the timedate.cpl your would rename it to timedate.cpl.old, explorer.exe would be explorer.exe.old once you have done that copy the dll from the folder on your desktop and paste it into the system32 folder ( you do this for all dll's, exe's or cpl files except the explorer.exe this one is located just in the windows folder so if editing that one you would paste it there).

Step 8. Now reboot your computer and after reboot your new dll, exe or cpl file will be active and you can go back and delete the one you renamed to .old.

bgjerlow designs
October 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Nice one Tucker, i'm sure this will help a lot of people - including me! :)

bigcyco1
January 23rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
that's a good tut thanks bud ;)

Bristow
January 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the tutorial bud :cool:

robj2005
April 9th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the tutorial,helped a lot

Ricard
May 5th, 2012, 04:39 PM
That's a big help, thanks for the post.

Aries1970
August 7th, 2017, 10:41 AM
HELLO, can you tell me, how to change the image of the Genuine logo of system properties? On windows 7

Aries1970
October 4th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Hi, how are you? I've been trying to change the image of windows genuine for many months and I can not get it with restorator and 7tsp, I change the bitmap image and everything is great, but when I reboot everything I can remove the image erasing line 277 in UIFILE but I can not change it I do not understand the problem I have to edit a line in UFILE? I was previously activated with activator, but a month ago I bought an original license, and it stays the same.

razorsedge
October 4th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Hi, how are you? I've been trying to change the image of windows genuine for many months and I can not get it with restorator and 7tsp, I change the bitmap image and everything is great, but when I reboot everything I can remove the image erasing line 277 in UIFILE but I can not change it I do not understand the problem I have to edit a line in UFILE? I was previously activated with activator, but a month ago I bought an original license, and it stays the same.

Hi Aries,

We have discussed this problem and I am not sure what is causing your issue with the genuine image. You don't need to edit anything in the uifiles for the genuine image just replace the bitmap image 51209 in sthe system.cpl with your new image save changes and restart and the image will show. The only advice I can offer at this point would be to run the SFC scan on your system as you said you were using a loader and that may have the system file still locked to it there is no other reason for why that image would not change :)

Wish I could be of more help bud :)

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
October 4th, 2017, 03:38 PM

HELLO, can you tell me, how to change the image of the Genuine logo of system properties? On windows 7
hello you can find
windows 7 logo here c/windows/system32/shellbrb.dll/bitmap/1050
http://i63.tinypic.com/21uff6.jpg
windows 7 genuine logo here c/windows/system32/shell32.dll/bitmap/51209
http://i64.tinypic.com/334t9aa.jpg
if you dont know how to change this for full working we can help you and can replace this for you just upload all your files here:Smile:

http://i63.tinypic.com/33wuumx.jpg

Aries1970
October 4th, 2017, 05:06 PM
well I'll try again if there is, thank you very much for your collaboration

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 05:02 AM
Here I leave the files to see if you can help me
https://mega.nz/#!d6IGABQS!1jjNn-1pOigH6mn6v0Du-g5efIh-duDsYDCgWnoYYkw

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
October 5th, 2017, 05:52 AM
well I'll try again if there is, thank you very much for your collaboration

Here I leave the files to see if you can help me
https://mega.nz/#!d6IGABQS!1jjNn-1pOigH6mn6v0Du-g5efIh-duDsYDCgWnoYYkw
here is system32 and syswow64
https://ufile.io/xjbkw

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I forgot to send the file to change it
https://mega.nz/#!Q7ph2Yza!0bwp5tG7YH3RtIrMFL-r_8yx_La1KfrL-xxh3Nk3NW0

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
October 5th, 2017, 12:54 PM
I forgot to send the file to change it
https://mega.nz/#!Q7ph2Yza!0bwp5tG7YH3RtIrMFL-r_8yx_La1KfrL-xxh3Nk3NW0
ok here is 7tsp or iPack installer:girl:

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your help but it does not work for me.78724

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 02:30 PM

You need to find the exact location where this icon "Pida software microsoft original" image is. Is it in system.cpl?

MOST_WASTED
October 5th, 2017, 03:38 PM

its actually SYSTEMCPL.DLL that contains the genuine logo. If 7tsp doesnt work on it try editing it manually with restorator. Copy it from windows\system32 folder to somewhere else first because it might not let you save the editing from inside that folder. This file is only in the system32 folder. And also after you've edited and copied it back i would suggest you remove any old files/backups of it in the system32 folder before restarting just so windows will have no reason to show anything else but the edited file. I know how stubborn windows can be sometimes

* here's also a 7tsp of it if you want. Its for a 64bit windows7. Dont worry about the size, its the black preview image in it thats large - http://www.mediafire.com/file/h66p0aaj4vuf92p/aries.7TSP.7z

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 04:31 PM
the image is in systemcpl.dll and it also appears in the shell32.dll, but I do not understand why the image is still there because I have formatted it and activated it with license online, I have tried everything with restorator. The companion has modified the shell32.dll and when the reboot follows the same image and instead the timedatecpl makes the perfect change, the truth seems to be the only one that can not change the image of the authentic

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 04:39 PM
with restorator I have done it more than 30 times, when I check the files are changed but upon restart it follows the genuine windows

razorsedge
October 5th, 2017, 05:54 PM
with restorator I have done it more than 30 times, when I check the files are changed but upon restart it follows the genuine windows

I am sure it has to do with the fact of the loader that was used on his Win 7 before getting a licence. What loader was it you were using as if I remember some depending on the system were tied right in with the MOBO's and hardware. I am sure that is what is holding the old genuine image in place. That's the only possible reason for it, I believe that a SFC scan now might fix the issue as it will replace those modded dll's and hopefully break the hold that loader has on them. If that does not work I am afraid only a re-install of Windows 7 would do it.

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 06:53 PM
I have installed windows 7 Ultimate recently with the genuine license online, is working without activators is new installation, I do not think it normal that I pass this because I have everything custom except the image of genuine

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 07:12 PM
I have installed windows 7 Ultimate recently with the genuine license online, is working without activators is new installation, I do not think it normal that I pass this because I have everything custom except the image of genuine

Have you run sfc/scannow?

MOST_WASTED
October 5th, 2017, 07:15 PM

i have genuine windows7 too. I've also had that very same problem with that same image a while back. What razor said is true, windows does get a hold of some of these files thats why you have to take ownership of them and edit them from outside the system folder then swap them with your edited file, there's times when 7tsp wont work on these specific files even if you own them because they just cant be changed from inside the system folder. And also Monthly OS updates can revert these files back to how they were. Anyway good luck with it

The shell32.dll image of the genuine logo doesnt have to be changed. I think that appears in one of the "about windows" pop outs. i cant recall

*i have genuine 64 bit win7, would you like to swap your file with my file?

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Not because I installed it recently, do I have it if it works?

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Not because I installed it recently, do I have it if it works?

Not sure what this means, but make sure run cmd as admin and enter sfc/scannow and allow it to finish. If you've tried changing it 30 times there is a problem with the file itself.

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 07:35 PM
well i will run sfc / scannow i will see if it works

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 07:39 PM
well i will run sfc / scannow i will see if it works

It's going to reset all your icons if it completes successfully. If it doesn't you might have to google what the error is. I'd consider installing a 7tsp pack that includes shellbrd and systemcpl images, for example 7tsp_HUD_Apocalypse_Icons_Theme_Extras.7z (http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53283&d=1331823883)

MOST_WASTED
October 5th, 2017, 07:42 PM
dont run sfc scannow yet. try swapping it with my file. give me a second to upload it. if it doesnt work then run sfc

https://www.mediafire.com/file/us1bu5dhrpa6vbe/systemcpl.dll

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 07:44 PM
dont run sfc scannow yet. try swapping it with my file. give me a second to upload it. if it doesnt work then run sfc

The problem is, if he has already started running sfc/scannow, it can cause problems interrupting the process midway through.

MOST_WASTED
October 5th, 2017, 07:46 PM
The problem is, if he has already started running sfc/scannow, it can cause problems interrupting the process midway through.
I just always use that as my last resort because it removes every customization. But if it has already started then thats that. Good luck with the process hopefully it solves the problem

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 07:47 PM
I just always use that as my last resort because it removes every customization. But if it has already started then thats that. Good luck with the process hopefully it solves the problem

I'm not sure, he just said he would try it. From experience I've had it not work after being interrupted once, that's why I'm mentioning it.

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Aries (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/312799-Aries1970) I just went through my pms and saw we started discussing your system.cpl a month ago. Have you been trying to change it once a day? lol :Fright:

Aries1970
October 5th, 2017, 08:12 PM
it's still the same, there's no way to change it, that's life

razorsedge
October 5th, 2017, 08:29 PM
it's still the same, there's no way to change it, that's life

I had no idea it was a full new install bud, so then the loader and such would not be an issue. It is only the system.cpl one that needs to be changed as MOST-WASTED was saying the other one in the shell32.dll pops up on some other thing I don't think you ever see it, about Windows or something as he said it's one you will never see.

Something I will mention here then instead. It maybe the ipacks or 7tsp packs themselves that are doing a bit of a messup on your system. You might be able to have it work if you edit all your icons manually. I realize you probably do not want to do that and live with the genuine image as is rather then doing all your icons by hand. Myself see I make and test 7tsp or ipacks but I am unable to keep them on my system. I have to install all my icons manually as for some weird reason when using ipacks or 7tsp packs it does not mess up my system but it does cause a number of weird issues with apps I use. Take for instance if I use a pack I am unable after using one to open the main dashboard of my bitdefender antivirus program. It's all still working and protecting my machine but after using an icon pack the ui will no longer be able to open. So packs can cause weird issues on different setups and it's possible on yours this is a side effect of using a pack.

Shemhamforash
October 5th, 2017, 09:29 PM
One good thing about using themes on Windows 8.1 or 10 is having those images built-in to the msstyles.

Aries1970
October 6th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Many thanks to all for your help and effort

devillnside
October 6th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Many thanks to all for your help and effort

use a resource editor such as RESOURCE HACKER to extract them & edit them with your photo editor of choice.. but do it at your own discretion.. as you might end up crashing you OS