PDA

View Full Version : How To Pack a Custom Theme for Sharing?

NoizeSlaughter
December 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I've searched on google and throughout here for how to properly pack up all the components of a custom theme so that it may be shared, but I haven't found a tutorial for it.

Themes I download from here (or from DeviantArt) include the folders:

[en-US] -> "(theme name).msstyles.mui"
[Shell] -> [Normal Color] -> [[en-US] -> "shellstyle.dll.mui"] , "shellstyle.dll"
[Wallpapers] -> "(Wallpaper).jpg"
(theme name).msstyles
(theme name).theme

My Question:
Where/how do I collect the proper files needed to make my theme work properly? (How do I pack up a theme?)

*attached is a picture of when I double-click my .theme file versus when I click "Test" in WSB

razorsedge
December 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
hi NoizeSlaughter

Your doing a few things wrong the .theme file does not go in the same folder as your msstyle.

and the en-us folder is in the wrong place.

You have a folder with the name of your theme so virgina tech will call the folder as thats the name of your theme

Inside that folder you will put your virgina tech msstyle, and the shell folder along with the wallpaper folder

inside the shell folder you should have another folder called normal color, inside the normal color folder you will have your en-us folder and your shell style.dll

So when u copy the theme to your resources folder you will have 2 things to move over the folder called virgina tech and the virgina tech.theme file. Those 2 must be seperate :)

NoizeSlaughter
December 15th, 2010, 06:20 AM
hi NoizeSlaughter

Your doing a few things wrong the .theme file does not go in the same folder as your msstyle.

and the en-us folder is in the wrong place.

You have a folder with the name of your theme so virgina tech will call the folder as thats the name of your theme

Inside that folder you will put your virgina tech msstyle, and the shell folder along with the wallpaper folder

inside the shell folder you should have another folder called normal color, inside the normal color folder you will have your en-us folder and your shell style.dll

So when u copy the theme to your resources folder you will have 2 things to move over the folder called virgina tech and the virgina tech.theme file. Those 2 must be seperate :)

Thank you much for your response and my problem has been successfully fixed. I didn't realize that theme-building could be such a hassle, but the helpfulness of these forums makes it much easier to learn the ways of desktop customization.

Your helpfulness is appreciated.