PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Noob can't get a custom theme installed right

Pants
December 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I downloaded one of Mr. Grim's concept themes for Win7. I thought I had done it correctly, but when I used the Theme Installer v1.1 to install it I got the "Unhandled exception . . ." error. When I apply the theme in the control panel it simply changes the desktop background to black. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks. Any comments regarding my stupidity are warranted, so therefore I won't take offense.

HaCkthEplAneT
December 31st, 2010, 04:44 AM
Have you tried using Universal Theme Patcher to patch your system files instead of using theme installer?? I have never had any luck with theme installer personally. Please be sure to read the Readme file included before use. There is a x86 and x64 theme patcher. If you have a 64 bit OS you must run both patchers

After patching then choose your theme again and see if everything works

razorsedge
December 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Hi Pants :)

It does sound from what you said that you don't have your theme files patched to use 3rd party themes as the ones available on this site like hack the planet said.

The theme installers do not patch these files to enable the 3rd party themes, theme resource changer that is installed when using the theme installer is just what is used to apply the theme so you dont have to edit your dll's for the images.

But as stated in theme resource changer it does not patch your theme files for use of 3rd party theme there is a tutorial here with all the ways to patch your theme files to use 3rd party themes and all the apps or dll's needed to patch your theme files, you can find that here: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/33198-Video-How-To-Patch-Windows-7-and-Apply-3rd-Party-Themes