PDA

View Full Version : I'm Adam...

agrendell0302
March 20th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Hello VC peeps. My name is Adam. I am fascinated by the design of Windows OSes especially Se7en. I've downloaded and installed many different themes from other people, but I have a creative side and I want to build my own theme. I have looked all over the site but can't really find any guide to step-by-step creation of a theme (I may just be overlooking). To anyone that sees this, hello to you and CAN YOU HELP ME? Thanks for reading. :smile:

Big V
March 20th, 2011, 05:48 AM
hello adam and you need a few things first before you start theme building. you need a graphic editor like photoshop or gimp and copy of windows style builder http://vistastylebuilder.com/windows7.html and we have a fantastic tutorial by dave senior posted here to get you started viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2139 (http://www.virtualcustoms.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2139)

agrendell0302
March 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thank you sir. I have one question. Does this editor work with x64 Windows 7?

bgjerlow designs
March 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thank you sir. I have one question. Does this editor work with x64 Windows 7?
msstyles are not different from x64 to x86, so yes it works with both ;)

agrendell0302
March 21st, 2011, 04:32 AM
1-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > CommandModule > <1> - edit the image here
2-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > CommandModule > <3> > <1> - Textcolor : Color
2-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > CommandModule > <4 > > <1> -Textcolor : Color
2-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > CommandModule > < 5> > <1> - Textcolor : Color
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > Items View > FillColor (main window)
4-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Proper Tree > <2> - fillcolorhint : color (Left panel)

also the location to change the text in these area,s is -
5- Fonts , colors & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics > Windowtext:color

This text changes in both areas when selected, the locations for selected are here-

ItemsView(Main Window)-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > ItemsView > ItemsView > TextColor : Color
TreeView (Left Panel)-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Treeview > Treeitem > hot , selected etc > Textcolor : Color

ATTACHMENTS

On the first item in the tutorial, where is this image? I've put several different items in and all my bar shows is gray with flat image, not the image I chose to install. Am I missing something here?

agrendell0302
March 21st, 2011, 06:17 AM
I found the issue... I think. I've added an image to the first item in the tutorial,
1-Explorer & Shell > Explorer > CommandModule > <1> - edit the image here
When I run it in test mode, the image shows up, but when I apply the theme, it's just a gray bar with no graphic. Is there something that I should check the tutorial somewhere?

Mr GRiM
March 21st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Yes there is something you missed, you need to set up a project folder for your theme, it needs to contain the shell folder containg the shellstyle.dll and also needs to contain your .msstyles.

agrendell0302
March 21st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Mr. Grim,
Is there anything in the tutorial using VSB to do that? Exactly what files and folders are needed? Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Mr. Grim, I've seen your work and I'm 'effin blown away by it. That Poison theme is the bees knees.