PDA

View Full Version : Themes and Windows 7 SP1.

JoseyWales
April 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I am having problems with allot of the themes trying to use them on SP1. I had to do a system restore after installing tag theme for example. I think it was from the cursor but it caused windows explore to become unresponsive but i had no way to confirm this because of the desktop being unresponsive. The mouse and the cursor worked but that was it and the animation for the cursor would only work if I held it over the taskbar but not on the desktop.

Mr GRiM
April 5th, 2011, 05:23 PM
What other themes have you had problems with, it may be a problem with that theme rather then anything to do with SP1

bgjerlow designs
April 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Did you replace any system files or used 7tsp to install these themes? Because non-sp1 system files will not work on SP1, and will most likely cause your system to not run correctly/being unable to load the DLL's as they doesn't have the expected version number

JoseyWales
April 5th, 2011, 09:11 PM
i unzipped the installer and manually added the theme to resources. most of what i have been installing when i pick the theme in personalize i loose aero and have to set the default windows theme to get it back. most of the themes here i only install the theme and not the extras.. I haven't been doing that in a while. when i tried to install blade it completely buggered my system and i had to restore after that one as well. i'm on 64 bit sp1 using uxthemes from Rafael Rivera. it's been like that with a few of them since sp1. before that i never had an issue..
i'll go though a bunch of them and see what happens later tonight and report my findings.. i'm on a backup system until i get my main rig back up and running.. but the programing is the same..

Mr GRiM
April 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I think you should run sfc /scannow and restore all your system files and then use UxStyle Core to patch your system, it doesn't change any system files, that way all your system files will be untouched, maybe that will help you.

bgjerlow designs
April 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah i agree. A SFC should fix it, if it doesn't, i really don't know what will. Keep in mind when running a sfc/scannow you will loose all custom icons and custom dll files ;)

JoseyWales
April 6th, 2011, 01:37 AM
oops. i meant UxStyle Core, been using it since i was beta testing it for him. running the scan now... i didn't even think of that one.. this is my kids system that i took over when my system got fried.. looks like my cable company will be cutting me a check soon for the damage.. i dug an old system out of mothballs for them until i get a new one built.

johnwillyums
April 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I've just done a clean install of W7 and installed SP1. Previously I'd been using Mr Grim's Concept Theme. I had installed that using 7tsp.
Am I better off waiting until a new installer is developed? I hear of a lot of problems with custom themes post SP1.

Cheers, John Williams

bgjerlow designs
April 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I've just done a clean install of W7 and installed SP1. Previously I'd been using Mr Grim's Concept Theme. I had installed that using 7tsp.
Am I better off waiting until a new installer is developed? I hear of a lot of problems with custom themes post SP1.

Cheers, John Williams
As far as i remember 7tsp replaces system files. Unless there is a Concept 7tsp for SP1, you can't use the same 7tsp or well you could but that might cause your system to be unusable because the system files versions are outdated. You can always get the theme though and install it as you normally do, or request that Mark (Mr. GRiM) does a new updated 7tsp of concept so it'll work on SP1

SRV
April 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah it happened to my laptop 2 weeks back.I had SP1 installed n then ran the 7tsp installer for Annihilator and Aero went kaput :sad:
Every time I changed the theme, DWM.exe would crash n it went back to the ugly default Basic theme.It wasn't because of the system patch because I had already reapplied the 1 patch that is undone by SP1.

So in the end,I had to go through the painstakingly boring task of getting the system back up fresh.I currently have SP1 installed again but I haven't tried out the 7tsp installers since (not because I m scared to :afraid: With the new group of themes out with the Clash of the Titans III competition which don't have 7tsp installers, I haven't felt the need to use the old themes presently).So I'd hope the old ones are updated in time to work with SP1.

johnwillyums
April 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Cheers, John Williams
As far as i remember 7tsp replaces system files. Unless there is a Concept 7tsp for SP1, you can't use the same 7tsp or well you could but that might cause your system to be unusable because the system files versions are outdated. You can always get the theme though and install it as you normally do, or request that Mark (Mr. GRiM) does a new updated 7tsp of concept so it'll work on SP1

Thanks for the reply Sergio. So it's basically a waiting game before we can use custom themes with SP1?
How would I request Mark (Mr Grim) update 7tsp or find out if he is working on an alternative? I loved the simplicity of the way that worked :peace:

bgjerlow designs
April 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Cheers, John Williams

Thanks for the reply Sergio. So it's basically a waiting game before we can use custom themes with SP1?
How would I request Mark (Mr Grim) update 7tsp or find out if he is working on an alternative? I loved the simplicity of the way that worked :peace:
No it isn't, all themes works with SP1, it's just the system files that doesn't. Not unless they are updated to work with sp1. Best way to find out/ask him would be to send a PM here on the forums ;)

johnwillyums
April 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hi all :)

I pmd Mr Grim and he has replied that 7tsp will work on post SP1 Windows 7.
That has not been my experience. I'm on my third clean install in a week! All the others have messed up when I tried to re install Concept using 7tsp.
At least that's what I attributed the problems too.
At the moment I'm afraid to use it.
Am I alone in this or are others finding the same? If it's just me then it must be something else causing my issues.

Cheers, John