PDA

View Full Version : decrease padding for taskbuttons and tray icons.

xeong
April 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Just trying to do this myself viewtopic.php?f=190&t=956 (http://virtualcustoms.net/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=956) , however I can't get the taskbar height down wanting to remove 2pixels from top and bottom nearer the orange lines, but can't seem to get the contentmargins right or I'm not using the right ones.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2777/unledmdj.png

And another problem is how to decrease the padding distances between task buttons.. using the small icon taskbar, I've managed to shift the application icons nearer the left edge which definitely puts in a few more text characters on the button before the [...] trail off.. however the padding between task buttons is just overkill spacing and looks even more ridiculous when you've got a taskbar with 30+ running windows.

Also same problem with system tray icons (purple box), they are spaced out way more than XP, want to shave of 2pixels either side of tray icons aswel preferably.

p.s hello new to this site :)

Mr GRiM
April 27th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Just trying to do this myself viewtopic.php?f=190&t=956 (http://virtualcustoms.net/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=956) , however I can't get the taskbar height down wanting to remove 2pixels from top and bottom nearer the orange lines, but can't seem to get the contentmargins right or I'm not using the right ones.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2777/unledmdj.png

And another problem is how to decrease the padding distances between task buttons.. using the small icon taskbar, I've managed to shift the application icons nearer the left edge which definitely puts in a few more text characters on the button before the [...] trail off.. however the padding between task buttons is just overkill spacing and looks even more ridiculous when you've got a taskbar with 30+ running windows.

Also same problem with system tray icons (purple box), they are spaced out way more than XP, want to shave of 2pixels either side of tray icons aswel preferably.

p.s hello new to this site :)

OK it's a bit tricky but you have to do a couple of things, first you will need to go to Taskbar & System Tray > TaskBand > Aero > TaskBand > BackgroundBottom (This will only effect the bottom taskbar with large icons)

You will need to adjust the top and bottom Content Margins, if the property is not there then you will need to add it, once you have set the margins there if you hit test it will show you haw much the buttons have moved in top and bottom but it will also change the overall height of the taskbar.

Then you will need to go to Taskbar & System Tray > TaskBand > Basic > TaskBand > TaskItemButton and adjust that content margin, so if you increased the Content Margins by 2 pixels top and bottom on the taskband then here you will need to reduce them by the same amount to retain the original height.

Here are the end results of the settings in the screens.

xeong
April 27th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks for helping Grim...

Those settings do get the task button graphics to where the orange lines are (where things are at already_.. however the taskbar background still appears like 2pixels above/bellow the buttons... As the graphic I provided shows.

I'll give it more a check out just incase I'm missing something, but it does seem like maybe there is something else that is keeping the taskbar background height from coming down lower.

The other thing is how to remove the padding distance between task app buttons and tray icons? Notice how the explorer buttons come close together.. where as the your browser 'Virtual customs' taskbar button, and 'Win7 style builder' button have like a 5pixel gap inbetween them.. is there a way to fix that? If you use the 7 taskbar tweaker you can seperate explorer groups.. which just creates more gaps.. but its more classical to xp style, and it'd be much better if there were a way to customize this seemingly hardcoded gap.. shell dll hacking?

Mr GRiM
April 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks for helping Grim...

Those settings do get the task button graphics to where the orange lines are (where things are at already_.. however the taskbar background still appears like 2pixels above/bellow the buttons... As the graphic I provided shows.

I'll give it more a check out just incase I'm missing something, but it does seem like maybe there is something else that is keeping the taskbar background height from coming down lower.

The other thing is how to remove the padding distance between task app buttons and tray icons? Notice how the explorer buttons come close together.. where as the your browser 'Virtual customs' taskbar button, and 'Win7 style builder' button have like a 5pixel gap inbetween them.. is there a way to fix that? If you use the 7 taskbar tweaker you can seperate explorer groups.. which just creates more gaps.. but its more classical to xp style, and it'd be much better if there were a way to customize this seemingly hardcoded gap.. shell dll hacking?

If you just want to reduce the height of the taskbar then just follow the instructions for the second part by decreasing the content margins, the gap between them is not something I have really tried to change and don't know if it's possible.