PDA

View Full Version : Bios POST screen

zeno101
May 7th, 2011, 10:31 AM
When you buy a brand name pc and switch on it displays a screen with eg HP as it runs through POST prior to reaching the starting windows screen. Having just recently built a pc (first go) for home use, I get Bios/mobo details before it goes to starting windows screen. Is it possible to change this for an image of my own choice or am I better off leaving it as it is?

bgjerlow designs
May 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hmm, that's a good question. As far as I know it's not possible to do that, and even if it is, it's not going to be a "walk in the park" doing it, since you will have to modify your BIOS most likely and that can cause huge problems if you make a mistake whilst doing that.

Mr GRiM
May 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah I think you would have to be a very advanced user to even attempt flashing the bios to add a custom image in there, I think it would be best to forget about that idea lol

zeno101
May 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM
There is a utility on the support disc called face wizard (gigabyte mobo) which apparently can change the POST screen, except I have 2 probs with this. The image needs to be in BMP format and 16/256 colour, 640 x480. Size and format I can do but not sure how to change it down fron 24 bit. Also waiting for an answer from the gigabyte support website as surely they must know how to do it, failing that I'll just contact other makers and maybe they shed some light. Thanks for your help and if I get an answer will let you know the outcome.

Big V
May 8th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Face wizard works great if you have a gigabyte mobo and very simple to use. Just load the image then restart your done.I don't recommend doing this on a everyday basis since you are messing with the bios and if you have a conflict you run the risk of bricking your system Just make sure it right size and format or you will have problems. The Version i have will do PCX or BMP format images smaller than 640x480

CrazySouthernBoy
May 14th, 2011, 06:34 AM
There is a utility on the support disc called face wizard (gigabyte mobo) which apparently can change the POST screen, except I have 2 probs with this. The image needs to be in BMP format and 16/256 colour, 640 x480. Size and format I can do but not sure how to change it down fron 24 bit. Also waiting for an answer from the gigabyte support website as surely they must know how to do it, failing that I'll just contact other makers and maybe they shed some light. Thanks for your help and if I get an answer will let you know the outcome.

You can open in Paint of Photoshop & Just re-size it to the right Specs & then save as what ever name you want it then just change the file Format to the right one you need.

zeno101
May 15th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I think the last 2 posters may have misunderstood what I actually want to do. Don't want to change the small image in top corner, but place my own pic (gigabyte image) across the whole screen. Its what all the companies do when they kick out their OEM machines with the company logo on the boot screen.

CrazySouthernBoy
May 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM
wait the boot screen like where it said Xp? or the BIOS screen?
I use TuneUp to change my boot screen.

Big V
May 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
bios screen

zeno101
May 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Cheers BigV for hitting it on the nail. The research I have done and with a fair bit of help from HP (most other companies just told me to do one) has almost got the answer but not quite, so here it is in layman terms.

1. Press start button.
2. PC performs Bios POST boot ( Bios POST screen)
3. OS primary/certain hardware checks ( windows starting screen)
4. Remainder of checks ( logon screen)
5. Full system up and running ( desktop etc)

I know how to change the last three, but it is no. 2 I would like to change. It has something to do with sys32 folder and a few tweaks in reg according to HP, tight twats won't tell me exactly how though. Hope this has made it a bit clearer as to what I would like to achieve.