PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 In Place Upgrade Repair.

GTK48
October 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Source (http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25016-windows_7_professional_sp1_64-bit)

If you purchased a retail copy of Windows 7, chances are your installation disc didn’t come with SP1 included. That means if you want to reinstall Windows 7 at a later date you’ll have to reinstall from the disc, then download all of those updates again, a time-consuming and frustrating process.

There’s another problem too: should you ever want to perform a repair installation of Windows 7 by choosing the “Upgrade” version, typically to fix a major system problem, then you’ll have to uninstall SP1 first from your computer before doing so – more time wasted and hair lost.

The answer lies in getting hold of a copy of the Windows 7 installation disc with the Service Pack 1 updates already included. You can do this manually using a tool called RT Seven Lite, but yet again it’s time-consuming, fiddly and – you guessed it – potentially frustrating.

Alternatively, you can download a legitimate image of the Windows 7 disc with the SP1 files already included. All you have to do is download the ISO file here, then burn it to disc by double-clicking the file and popping in a blank DVD when prompted. Once done, boot from the disc to verify it works and label the disc accordingly. You’ll need the product key that came with your computer to activate Windows 7 after reinstalling from scratch.

Note that this won’t work if you have a version of Windows that came pre-installed with your computer. Also make sure you download the correct version of Windows 7 for your needs – to find out which edition (Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate) and type (32-bit or 64-bit) you need, click Start, right-click Computer and select Properties.

My PC came with Home Premium 64 Bit installed. I had owned Win 7 Pro 64 Bit so I performed Windows Anytime Upgrade To my old W7 Pro Key and it worked. I then after 2 days performed this Upgrade fix using the ISO that I downloaded from The Source. It worked without a problem and took about one hour and 4 restarts. At the end of the source story are links to all Windows 7 Flavors. This is a great tool! I lost no programs.

CrazySouthernBoy
October 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Thats cool man. I dont redo my HDD unless Ive got to much stuff on it

GTK48
October 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thats cool man. I dont redo my HDD unless Ive got to much stuff on it

If your Windows 7 becomes problematic, This is a method that will leave your files, programs intact.

gor17981
October 3rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I use Acronis True Image, I did a clean install, added all my apps, bookmarks, etc etc, got my pc how i like it, then made a back up image, then whenever the need comes for a re-install i just revert back to that image, saves a lot of time and hassle :)

XXXxxxXXX
October 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
I know, the inplace upgrade is a great tool but there are two problems with it:
1. You can't use it if your pc doesn't boot anymore
2. You can't use it if your programs are on an other partition than your windows files.
I think the repair installation from XP was much better...

GTK48
October 3rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
I know, the inplace upgrade is a great tool but there are two problems with it:
1. You can't use it if your pc doesn't boot anymore
2. You can't use it if your programs are on an other partition than your windows files.
I think the repair installation from XP was much better...

This Inplace Repair DVD is your Windows 7 DVD plus SPI. That in itself makes it bootable. There is nothing that says your Programs have to be on the same partition. Most users also have a Windows 7 Boot DVD/CD, I know I do. If your PC will not boot then you can use this to reinstall Windows 7. It is just an Windows 7 DVD slip streamed with SP1.

XXXxxxXXX
October 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I know that the DVD is bootable, but have you ever tryed to start the inplace upgrade from the DVD? Then it says that you must restart your pc and insert the dvd when windows has bootet.
I know that the program files must be on the same drive as windows because I wanted to make a inplace upgrade and it said that the program files must be on the same drive as my windows files...