PDA

View Full Version : building custom rig need guidance

raogrimm
January 25th, 2012, 03:25 AM
ok, i know what i am looking for in hardware in the specs department, but i do not know much about the quality of the different brands. i was just wondering if someone can point in the right direction for brand names. i will most likely be making the rig an intel i7 core if that helps.

CrazySouthernBoy
January 25th, 2012, 03:34 AM
What are you planing on doing? Gaming? Graphics? or both.

raogrimm
January 25th, 2012, 03:38 AM
both, because the way i see it i might as well have both and with neweggs package deals i'll end up saving some money when i get certain items together

8pecxstudios
January 25th, 2012, 03:58 AM
for graphics programs like maya,3ds max,solid works,zbrush,autocad i have been hearing allot about the nvidia quadro 4000/5000 series are best for thos but no good for games

Syxguns
January 25th, 2012, 04:01 AM
i will most likely be making the rig an intel i7 core if that helps. That helps but let's be a little more specific. I7 come in 4 and 6 cores, although the 6 core is a lot more expensive than the quad core. I'm planning on purchasing the 2600k because it is around $700 cheaper than the 3960X! The OC scale shows the 2600 to be very competitive speed wise. The 2600k can hit up to 5.2ghz if you OC it. So start with the processor, then we go with motherboard. We need to know if you are going to be running a 64-bit OS or 32-bit. Brand names are many that are good. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, and many more. You want to stay away from cheap brands, so have an idea of the amount you want to spend on your rig.

Syxguns
January 25th, 2012, 04:07 AM
both, because the way i see it i might as well have both and with neweggs package deals i'll end up saving some money when i get certain items together Careful when looking at package deals. Make sure you know every item. I have them send me e-mails of package deals all the time, and I've never seen a great one. I've seen decent, but in some cases I can purchase better items on sale and the price be only a little higher than the one they have in the package deal.

CrazySouthernBoy
January 25th, 2012, 04:12 AM
To me you are better off running a AMD CPU with something that can hold a AMD3+ Ive always taken to 64bit then a 32 bit cpu.

Also with a AMD you can have 8cores but its gonna cost you some money.

raogrimm
January 25th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Syxguns when i say package deals i mean that they have a lot of items that you can get together at a reduced price if purchased with another, such as a mother board and case, or mobo and cpu not necessarily a whole setup.

@csb so do you think i'll get more bang for my buck from amd instead of intel?

CrazySouthernBoy
January 25th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I think so. All my computers but 1 use AMD & when I get the money to build my next computer It will have a AMD in it.

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

Syxguns
January 25th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Syxguns when i say package deals i mean that they have a lot of items that you can get together at a reduced price if purchased with another, such as a mother board and case, or mobo and cpu not necessarily a whole setup. Oh, I understand now!! I just wanted you to be careful about some of those deals!
@csb so do you think i'll get more bang for my buck from amd instead of intel? I know this was directed at CSB, but I thought I would give you my perspective. I was going to purchase that AMD, but I also OC my machines. I tend to look at the overclockers posts to get specs on CPU's. They ran it up against several quad cores including an I5 2500 and it fell short in almost every aspect. It may have 8 cores, but it doesn't use them to the full potential. Now the 6 core Intel is a monster, but like I said before, it cost a lot of money! The final decision is for you to select. Then we can start on the other items. BTW- The FX-8150 really needs Windows 8 to take full potential, but I think there may be some patches for Windows 7.

CrazySouthernBoy
January 25th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I dont know what you are talking about but Ive had my AMD witch was 3.3Ghz & I overclocked them to 4.8Ghz without a problem.

Syxguns
January 25th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I dont know what you are talking about but Ive had my AMD witch was 3.3Ghz & I overclocked them to 4.8Ghz without a problem. I understand. I'm not saying that it is a bad processor by any means. I just read benchmarking forums to find out specifications about the processors. I am a big fan of AMD and use to only purchase AMD, but Intel has really made a leap ahead in technology (the dirty way of course) and just kind of knocked AMD out of top performance bracket. I was waiting for this processor to come out and I was going to purchase it, but after reading reviews I find that my top performers are still Intel quad core.... (Don't want to spend the money on the 6 core!!) The way I feel is that it's the purchasers choice, but let me provide a review of the FX-8150 for you to read. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/1

CrazySouthernBoy
January 25th, 2012, 08:03 AM
To me 64bit will always be better. Ive never been all that much of a Intel fan.

January 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
you are going to get more bang for your buck with the intel you want. mobo's stick with asus or gigabyte. graphics nvidia 500 series or the amd 5000 series. these graphics cards will handle everything currently out there(you can always upgrade later if you like). memory what the mobo manufacture suggest. hdd's western digital. dvd burner with or without lightscribe samsung(been using their optical drives for 15 years and never a problem with them). with todays mobo's use the onboard sound it is as good as any daughter card you can buy.

raogrimm
January 25th, 2012, 06:05 PM
i hear a lot of good things about evga graphics cards. what are your guys' opinions on them?

January 25th, 2012, 06:07 PM
i hear a lot of good things about evga graphics cards. what are your guys' opinions on them?

i have had 3 different evga cards, and never any problems with them.

odinlives
January 25th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Well I just want to give you my input on what I would do if I were you. First off sure you might save some money going with AMD but I can tell you from experience that you won't ever be let down with the performance of an Intel 2500k or 2600k. As for graphics you could just get a GTX 560ti and you will have outstanding performance plus you will be able to play intensive games if you wanted to.

I have all EVGA gpus, 2 GTX 570 2.5gig, 2 GTX 465's, & 2 GTX 570's 1.5 gig and they have all served me well. Not to mention I overclock the hell out of my GPU's and never had one of them burn up on me as of yet so EVGA FTW in my opinion.

What Syxguns said about the performance bracket is 100% true. I had high hopes for Bulldozer etc. but I just didn't pan out the way I had hoped. Example: I ran cinebench with my i7 2600k overclocked at 5.2ghz and the 12core/12thread AMD server chip didn't even come close to outperforming my chip. Not to mention the 12core amd chip costs over $1000 and I picked up mine for a little over $200.

I build a lot of systems for all types of users and even the most average users like for example my Mom wanted me to build her a computer and yeah I could have just grabbed her a really inexpensive AMD chip that would perform fine for her use, but instead I bought the following:
i5 2500k $179
Gigabyte Z68xp UD3 Z68 motherboart $154.99
Also bought some cheaper DDR3 8 gigs, Coolermaster Storm Scout Case, V6gt cpu cooler, and a 650w psu and gave her a GTX 465 just because I had an extra one.

She won't probably ever need another computer with these components.

I think that if you are going to be keeping this build for any length of time you should strongly consider going with at least the i5 2500k and then build from there up.

Good luck.

djparis1977
January 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
That helps but let's be a little more specific. I7 come in 4 and 6 cores, although the 6 core is a lot more expensive than the quad core. I'm planning on purchasing the 2600k because it is around $700 cheaper than the 3960X! The OC scale shows the 2600 to be very competitive speed wise. The 2600k can hit up to 5.2ghz if you OC it. So start with the processor, then we go with motherboard. We need to know if you are going to be running a 64-bit OS or 32-bit. Brand names are many that are good. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, and many more. You want to stay away from cheap brands, so have an idea of the amount you want to spend on your rig.
hardly anyone uses 32 bit OS anymore ....and going 32 bit limits your RAM to 4gb that would be just dumb to put a 32 bit OS on any system anymore these days

8pecxstudios
January 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM
What ever you do don't get this graphics card unless you want an inferno lol

Palit GTX560 2gb
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1678

The Archiver
January 25th, 2012, 09:28 PM
hardly anyone uses 32 bit OS anymore ....and going 32 bit limits your RAM to 4gb that would be just dumb to put a 32 bit OS on any system anymore these days

32bit OS limit RAM is 3Gb ;)

January 25th, 2012, 09:30 PM
32bit OS limit RAM is 3Gb ;)

limited to 4 with either 3.25 or 3.75 usable

djparis1977
January 25th, 2012, 10:19 PM
No its 4GB... I HAD A VISTA MACHINE RUNNING 4 gb AND REGISTERING 4GB

raogrimm
January 26th, 2012, 02:57 AM
so pretty much from what i've read, i should be looking for a gigabyte or asus mobo, more than likely an evga graphics card and intel i5 or up cpu. now what about a case? i was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144210 . would this work for pretty much any atx style mobo such as a gigabyte or asus?

odinlives
January 26th, 2012, 06:55 AM
so pretty much from what i've read, i should be looking for a gigabyte or asus mobo, more than likely an evga graphics card and intel i5 or up cpu. now what about a case? i was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144210 . would this work for pretty much any atx style mobo such as a gigabyte or asus?

If I were you I wouldn't get that case. I have had the opportunity to review quite a few cases in the last year and never heard of that one. For a couple more dollars you could get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196&Tpk=storm%20scout I like a good strong solid case and all coolermaster cases are.

It's up to you on the motherboard, I currently love my EVGA motherboard but it cost me a pretty penny...lol I would suggest checking out all of the details of the specs to make sure it will have everything you are going to be requiring for your daily use before you make you final decision.

As for the argument about the RAM.....meh Is it really that important? I can tweak a Vista OS to show that you have 8 gigs or RAM but it doesn't mean it is useable.

djparis1977
January 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I would stay away from AMD.... AMDs 6 core processor isnt even as fast as Intels dual core I3 so with that said AMD sucks.
Link to benches.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=289

Intel I3 2100 dual core vs. AMD Phenom II 1090T 6 core ..... This is an AMD fail and an Intel "in your face"

January 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
If I were you I wouldn't get that case. I have had the opportunity to review quite a few cases in the last year and never heard of that one. For a couple more dollars you could get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196&Tpk=storm scout (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196&Tpk=storm%20scout) I like a good strong solid case and all coolermaster cases are.

It's up to you on the motherboard, I currently love my EVGA motherboard but it cost me a pretty penny...lol I would suggest checking out all of the details of the specs to make sure it will have everything you are going to be requiring for your daily use before you make you final decision.

As for the argument about the RAM.....meh Is it really that important? I can tweak a Vista OS to show that you have 8 gigs or RAM but it doesn't mean it is useable.

odinlives apevia is a great brand. i have been using and recommending there psu's for years and i've and no one i've gotten to buy one has ever had any issues with them.

odinlives
January 26th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Not saying apevia is a bad brand just it looks flimsy and over the last year we have reviewed about 30 different cases on our hardware site and there weren't very many that I could say many great things about. Mostly manufactured with flimsy metal and virtually no cable management. Just saying for another $20 you could have a Coolermaster Scout and it is a rock solid case.

January 26th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Not saying apevia is a bad brand just it looks flimsy and over the last year we have reviewed about 30 different cases on our hardware site and there weren't very many that I could say many great things about. Mostly manufactured with flimsy metal and virtually no cable management. Just saying for another $20 you could have a Coolermaster Scout and it is a rock solid case.

i have to agree with you there. building systems for others i have watched the quality of a lot of past excellent brand drop through the floor. right now there are only 4 brands as far as cases i recommend.

Big V
January 27th, 2012, 04:43 AM
My case is an apevia and I have no issues with it http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/27607-Post-Your-System-Specs?p=171703&viewfull=1#post171703 I'm not an overclocker so heat is not really an issue for me. My only bitch is the front fan is a bitch to clean because of it being directly in front of the harddrives and very limited access unless i remove my 2 drives when i clean my case As far as cable management it all in the builders skill and the time they take to bundle, wrap and wiretie their cables together. If you speed threw that part of your build any case is going to look like crap inside. But In my opinion cases are not the big issue of a good computer it's the guts you stick in that case. And unless you someone who wants to lug around your whole desktop system everywhere you go... Even the most flimsy case will work as long as it has good ventilation it's a good case

odinlives
January 27th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Yeah but the thing is the newer great cases already have holes cut for cable management as well as grommets around the motherboard tray. Sure anyone can slap a motherboard in there and zip tie some cables but I guess I am just over zealous when it comes to this aspect of building my computers. Might have something to do with my work, I do pretty huge networks where I am running 50 or more Cat5 wires together and things of that nature. Thing is if you could spend $20 more and get a case that is not flimsy then why not get it? Especially if it has great cable management included. My next case once I have all of my liquid cooling pieces in order is the Coolermaster Cosmos II, the thing is amazing. I have spent thousands on the hardware that I have in my cases so that's why I tend to use a little higher end cases to not only look good with the hardware but to protect it as well.

January 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
big v i'm with odinlives on this one in regards to not wanting flimsy case parts. too easily bent by accident.

8pecxstudios
January 30th, 2012, 01:00 AM
the thermaltake Chaser MK-1 is good has plenty of room to

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1467&ID=2048