PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer replacements and Theme Integration

daveje9
February 18th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hi all...
I'm thinking of downloading either XYplorer or Directory Opus as a replacement for (or option other than) the standard windows explorer we all know. Pretty much 'the GUI guts', imho. Does anybody out there use these? What do you think? Do they integrate with custom themes form here? Any advice would be appreciated.

(I never seem to listen to the old adage: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it...")

February 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
well in this case i would listen cause i've played around with almost all the shell replacements. they are great if you are a business, but for the average use i wouldsn't bother. as for getting skinned when you install a theme it will depend on the gui of the particular shell replacement.

daveje9
February 19th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Thanx, you're right. I was looking at the screen shots and asking 'Do I really need - or want - this?' Speaking of shells - for some reason the forward/back explorer button never change even though different styles are included with the themes. Small detail but Atlas is a lil buggy; I get a lot of 2203 errors.

February 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Thanx, you're right. I was looking at the screen shots and asking 'Do I really need - or want - this?' Speaking of shells - for some reason the forward/back explorer button never change even though different styles are included with the themes. Small detail but Atlas is a lil buggy; I get a lot of 2203 errors.

this is something i really can't help you with. hopefully one of the theme builders can be of help.

razorsedge
February 22nd, 2012, 09:26 PM

Hi daveje9 :)

for your explorer frame buttons not working are u using the theme resource changer do you have it installed as the themes are setup to use it so those images are automatically applied with the theme if you are trying to edit your explorerframe.dll with the images it wont work as in the dll itself the images are bitmaps and for theme resource changer they are pngs you can find the app here, http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/30902-Theme-Resource-Changer-no-more-dll-editing

as for shell replacements and skinning I am not sure if the themes would work my guess is that some of the elements would but as most of those shell replacements have their own gui's it would be like skinning an app where u would probably have to also skin it as it's own entity :)