PDA

View Full Version : 6GB ram installed only 4GB showing in bios

edrik
April 2nd, 2012, 02:05 AM
Hi guys I got 6GB of ram installed in my PC but my bios only shows 4gb available... although speccy and cpu-z shows i still have 6gb installed... btw I'm running 64 bit windows 7

designfjotten
April 2nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hello: Edrik
What motherboard do you have? -if your motherboard has dual memory slots, you must have 2, 4 memory modules, and have seen them, if you say what motherboard you have so I can find out all this for you :)
I have built many PC and work with this :)

Is it 3 memory modules you have? or 4?
Have you updated your BIOS?

edrik
April 2nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hi designfjotten, my mobo is ASUS p6T Deluxe v2 and yes I have the latest BIOS, I always had 6gb until this weekend... I dont know what happened, to my surprise, after checking my system properties I only have 4gb usable.

designfjotten
April 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hi designfjotten, my mobo is ASUS p6T Deluxe v2 and yes I have the latest BIOS, I always had 6gb until this weekend... I dont know what happened, to my surprise, after checking my system properties I only have 4gb usable.

if you allways had 6 gb, then its real simple one of your memorymodules is damaged or broken :) sorry bud, try to run memory check before u enter windows :)

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

sometimes, i just switch the modules, and check again :) donno why it helps, but sometimes it fixes the problem :)

twizzz
April 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hi guys I got 6GB of ram installed in my PC but my bios only shows 4gb available... although speccy and cpu-z shows i still have 6gb installed... btw I'm running 64 bit windows 7

One thing that causes this is in your msconfig if you have the bootup max amount memory checked youll need to uncheck it then recheck it and reboot...

edrik
April 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I reseated the modules and now it's fixed.. thanks guys :Peace: