PDA

View Full Version : questions on new i7 3770K

SirSlaughter
May 17th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Alright Forgive me if this needs to be in another board or something, But I recently bought new 3770K (Today it came in the mail).

My question is will it work with an H61 chipset? I know it s supposed to be backwards compatible with all LGA155 sockets, But I was just curious and wanted to now ahead of time. I now that I will obviously not get the most out of my CPU with this kind of chpset but I am extremely tight on money ATM thanks to issues with my work and I do plan on getting a new z77 chipset, I am just impatient that's all. So if anyone knows Let me know. I would love to put this new bad boy in my computer as soon as possible.

Thanks.

8pecxstudios
May 17th, 2012, 11:38 PM
To My Understanding From What I Have Read

H61 Supports Upto i7 3770k Depending On Your Mobo Its Quite Possible You Might Need To Updated BIOS To A Version That Supports It If Available.

Just A Question What MotherBoard Do You Have

SirSlaughter
May 18th, 2012, 04:17 AM
In all honesty I have no clue. It came with a lenovo Desktop that I wish I never bought. But then again if I hadn't I would have never really learned about computers as fast as I did. The model is a lenovo k330b. I just know that I went into my devices and took a little look, I found it said i had the h61 chipset. I was just curious if it would work without any serious complications like needing to update Bios and stuff manually with a thumb drive or something.

Big V
May 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM
In all honesty I have no clue. It came with a lenovo Desktop that I wish I never bought. But then again if I hadn't I would have never really learned about computers as fast as I did. The model is a lenovo k330b. I just know that I went into my devices and took a little look, I found it said i had the h61 chipset. I was just curious if it would work without any serious complications like needing to update Bios and stuff manually with a thumb drive or something.
You can download CPUID and it will give more info about you system without having to tear into it to help identify your mobo

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

May 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM
personally you should of gone with the 2700k and not the new 3770. the new 3770 has problems.

SirSlaughter
May 18th, 2012, 12:52 PM
personally you should of gone with the 2700k and not the new 3770. the new 3770 has problems.

Well seeing as I had a $200 Aafes Gift card and Aafes never carries any good computer parts, I had to go through a specialty shop. The one specialty shop they had was Ibuypower. Well, Ibuypower isn't known for selling parts. It's always pre-built systems. So when I saw they had this for sale I had to snatch it up, I paid only $179 for it. But can you tell me what the current problems with it are?

And as for my Motherboard, It tells my my chipset is the H61 but the actual model is "To be Filled by O.E.M." so yeah I still have no clue what the exact motherboard is. But I am confident it can run the new i7, I was just Curious if there were any known issues I shoud be worried about. The only thing I have heard so far is taht it runs hotter, But that's because it runs a bit faster and with the integrated 4000 Graphics it tends to do that. Yet at the same time I have also heard it is able to handle the higher temps better. But once again This is mostly stuff I have just heard. Not really had any 100 percent confirmation.

Big V
May 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM
only other alternative is to crack the sidepanel open and physically look at the motherboard somewhere on it should be printed the manufacture and a model number then google it for your specs

bigporl
May 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM
the sandybridge sockets can only run ivy bridge chips with bios updates. however usually prebuilt pcs usually have there motherboards bios's locked so theres a chance it may never work.

Big V
May 18th, 2012, 08:38 PM
the sandybridge sockets can only run ivy bridge chips with bios updates. however usually prebuilt pcs usually have there motherboards bios's locked so theres a chance it may never work.

might have to use a modded set of bios if they locked them but still their should be a way around the lock.

Once you figure out what you actually have the best place i have found for geek related info and or modded bios is MyDigitalLife forum just google it

SirSlaughter
May 19th, 2012, 02:03 AM
might have to use a modded set of bios if they locked them but still their should be a way around the lock.

Once you figure out what you actually have the best place i have found for geek related info and or modded bios is MyDigitalLife forum just google it

Well I wish I had known that a little earlier today. It would have saved me a few minutes. I tried to put it in but like bigporl said, The Bios must be locked. I am fine with this, It just makes my getting a new motherboard much better to look forward too. I'm just a little sad I can't put that little i7 sticker on my case yet. But that's ok. A little more time and I will hopefully have gotten the new Asus Maximus V by then. But yeah when i try the Lenovo site for updates on he bios, I get nothing as the site is crap. I don't want to screw with anything else fora little while for the fear of me screwing something up again and having to do a 5 hour cloning of my spare HDD again. So I will wait and Look forward to the immense power my machine shall obtain when I get the new motherboard and OS. I have another 8gb of RAM waiting and now this processor along with a new CPU cooler. So thanks again for the help.

bigporl
May 19th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Thats a great motherboard you should get a good over clock with it (personally prefer gigabyte but thats just what im used to) and dont worry about the temps as just because its hotter doesnt mean its bad as there supposed to be like that. What cooler have you got by the way.

SirSlaughter
May 19th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thats a great motherboard you should get a good over clock with it (personally prefer gigabyte but thats just what im used to) and dont worry about the temps as just because its hotter doesnt mean its bad as there supposed to be like that. What cooler have you got by the way.

I am currently running on the cooler master Hyper 212 Evo With 2 NZXT 120mm fans attached to it. I have a Thermaltake CL-P0466SpinQ (The blue LED) waiting to be installed next. Or if I save up enough I might just say what the hell why not, and go with a water cooling solution. I'll just have to do some research and see which would be best. But that motherboard, OS, and Modular power supply comes first. And well, Seeing as we are kinda on the subject of coolers and MoBo's.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some nice liquid coolers? Preferably the nice colored ones that are pretty and bright? (I'm a sucker for fancy non-essentials).
And Does anyone know of a MoBo that is out right now, Or that will be out that supports SLI with at least a 2 way configuration that has 2 pci-e slots that can run both at X16? I know of only one but that board is not only expensive but is only running on the z68 set. It was the the AsRock z68 extreme7 Gen3. It was the original board I was gonna go for because not only did it have all the features you could want for the next generation but I could run 2 Graphics cards SLI X16 speed. It was great, Until it went up by $100 on amazon and started selling out everywhere else.

bigporl
May 20th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Woooaa calm down little greenhorn. you didnt know about the mobo an now your wanting full watercooling and sli. Id say go with the 212 evo first an see where that gets you. not done watercooling my self (yet) but i recken its not something to be done without experience.

8pecxstudios
May 20th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Woooaa calm down little greenhorn. you didnt know about the mobo an now your wanting full watercooling and sli. Id say go with the 212 evo first an see where that gets you. not done watercooling my self (yet) but i recken its not something to be done without experience.

it easy to install a closed loop water cooler like this one and very good performance to http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-water-cooling-cpu-cooler/hydro-series-h100-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

As For A Full Water Kit Yeah I Would Recommend That You Know to install one or have done one before trying to put one for the first time ever.

also don't for get the room you have inside your case is there enough room for these mods also you have to keep in mind the new hardware its PSU requirements.

SirSlaughter
May 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM

Oh I can put it all together, what I am experiencing s more software than hardware. I knew that the motherboard I had would come with that locked down stuff, But I just didn't know about the locked Bios. I don't plan on doing watercooling yet anyway, I would just like to know is all. For future reference. And as for the Motherboard knowledge, I thought I had a Motherboard that was perfect, You know that Asrock z68 with the USB 3.0 and PCI-E 3.0 support. It had the 2 way sli capability X16 but the price went up by $100 and it sold out anywhere else that had it at a decent price. So I mean I know my stuff, But I am obviously still learning, And that's why I joined the forums, to learn. But tat's alright, I aready have 2 pretty awesome coolers as it is and I plan on waiting anyway before I ever go near liquid cooling.

bigporl
May 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
I was thinking of getting one of those closed loop water coolers from corsair but the temps didnt seem that much different from the high end air coolers and then heard they can be just as noisy so in the end i just went with the Noctua nh-d14 and could be happier, quiet as a mouse an very low temps.