PDA

View Full Version : How you keep computer clean and fast

MrToxicCodes
July 20th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Hey everyone I seen some post about program people use or prefer so ima create this post about how you keep your computer clean and fast.

What programs do you use for firewall/anti-virus?
What program do you use to scan you computer for ANY type of errors?
How often do you run it?
And last but not least... Why do you choose the software you?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use AVG 2012 internet security for my firewall/anti-virus.
I use advance system care Version 5.3 Pro Version.
I run this scan about once a week. It cleans everything. And has other type of scans included like(smart defrag)
I choose these software because im familar with it. I know how to use it. ANd it does what i paid for without any problem

p.s.
If this isnt a good post moderators may remove it.. I didn see anything about not posting this kind of stuff.

July 20th, 2012, 01:32 AM
eset smart security 5.2.9.1 - realtime scanner disabled, scan everything as i download it, c auto-scanned sunday at 12:30am(desktop is skipped).
malwarebytes 1.62.0.1300 - realtime scanner disabled, scan everything as i download it, c auto-scanned saturday at 12:30am(desktop skipped).
ccleaner current version run 3 to 4 times a day.
winpatrol 25.0.2015.5 - mostly used for startup items.
advanced uninstaller 10.63
registry help pro 1.80
defragger o&o drfrag 15.5 - run only on c and only once a month.

MrToxicCodes
July 20th, 2012, 01:36 AM
eset smart security 5.2.9.1 - realtime scanner disabled, scan everything as i download it, c auto-scanned sunday at 12:30am(desktop is skipped).
malwarebytes 1.62.0.1300 - realtime scanner disabled, scan everything as i download it, c auto-scanned saturday at 12:30am(desktop skipped).
registry help pro 1.80

Very nice programs. I tried 2 of them and didnt like. But they have some good features.

razorsedge
July 20th, 2012, 01:47 AM
AntiVirus - Bit defender 2011, I have used Bit Defender for over 6 or 7 years now and I have tired pretty much every AV out there I prefer the 2011 version over 2012 cause 2011 you have the advanced option controls so I can tweak it just how I like it. I run with realtime protection disabled myself and just scan everything I dl first to make sure it's clean Bit defender has all the goodies maleware scanner, firewall, computer cleaning tools, antispam, chat messenger encryptions parental controls if you need identity protection, modes for desktop, labtop, game using modes, vulnerability checks for windows basically has it all lol

Cleaning wise for the registry I have used for the last 4 years cleanmypc registry cleaner because it is by far the only true x64 reg cleaner I have ever run across many others say they are but delete registry entries that they should not cause they are not true x64 cleaners and that could cause system errors, I also use ccleaner for junk files again a non intrusive cleaner that will not delete any files by msitake leading to system errors.

The final product would be O & O defrag pro I have again here used pretty much every defragger out there and this one has met my personal specs and far exceeded them :)

8pecxstudios
July 20th, 2012, 02:01 AM
AV/Firewall 100% Bit-defender For life The No1 AV/Firewall That No Others Are Able To Surpass I Use 2012 cuz im lazy but will got back to 2011 version next format.

i Choose Bit-defender becuase its the best on the market and its the most popular Net Defender for websites also.

Reg/Junk Killers i use glary's Pro never had issues with it on x64bit and its function and feature are the best out of all i have used also i run custom script to remove windows cookies & internet cookies and clear all windows temp caches.

De-frag lmao yeah i lack in that department but my boot times are fast even with all the adobe bloat and other junk so i don't de-frag often. tho my system gets formatted nearly once a month so that's also another reason i don't de-frag.

:laughing:

Big V
July 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Bitdefender 2011 for antivirus it the best

cleanmypc & ccleaner same as razorsedge

And Puran Defrag it has a very nice bootime defrag and diskcheck option plus after it defrags it goes back over the data and fills any gaps for faster data access. I run it whenever my systems seems to be slowing a bit

XXXxxxXXX
July 20th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I don't use any "optimization" tools. If you know how the registry works, you would know that you can't "defrag" it and that it is completely unnecessary to delete old entries. There is a chance that reg tools destroy your system, but no chance that it optimizes something...
As cleaning tool I just use the windows disk cleanup, as defrag tool the windows defrag and as av avast.
If I want to "tweak" something I do this manually.

Dark Knight
July 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Eset Smart Security 5 (Antivirus & Firewall) - Twice a week
Dr. Web Cureit on a thumb drive for backup on demand virus scanning
CCleaner 3.02 - once a day / Koshy John Diskmax - once a week
Malwarebytes - daily
Glary Utilities for basic housekeeping chores - once a month
Sandboxie x64 (so I can run things I am just not quite sure of) - whenever I venture out of the norm or download something I am not familiar with.
Revo Uninstaller - Because Windows uninstaller just cannot seem to do the job right.

I have used other utilities but the use of the utilities above has allowed me to keep my system running smoothly and like new without the loss of any data or having to do an OS reinstall in almost a year now , or should I say since being hit by a drive by MBR virus without warning just about a year ago while I was using Microcrap Insecurity Essentials.

If it matters any, I use a great data recovery program called "Disk Digger". it's not free but is proably the best $15 I have spent in quite some time because lets face it, we all delete something important by accident from time to time.

@XXXxxxXXX (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=177130):

As cleaning tool I just use the windows disk cleanup, as defrag tool the windows defrag
Not trying to be mean although I do agree with you about using registry optimization tools, they do more harm than good. BUT in disagreement, if you are using Windows disk cleanup and defrag utilities your just not getting all the junk removed. The Windows disk cleanup utility is well known for missing and / or leaving all kinds of useless junk behind on your HD and it's disk defragger pretty much does no help whatsoever.

razorsedge
July 20th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Eset Smart Security 5 (Antivirus & Firewall) - Twice a week
Dr. Web Cureit on a thumb drive for backup on demand virus scanning
CCleaner 3.02 - once a day / Koshy John Diskmax - once a week
Malwarebytes - daily
Glary Utilities for basic housekeeping chores - once a month
Sandboxie x64 (so I can run things I am just not quite sure of) - whenever I venture out of the norm or download something I am not familiar with.
Revo Uninstaller - Because Windows uninstaller just cannot seem to do the job right.

I have used other utilities but the use of the utilities above has allowed me to keep my system running smoothly and like new without the loss of any data or having to do an OS reinstall in almost a year now , or should I say since being hit by a drive by MBR virus without warning just about a year ago while I was using Microcrap Insecurity Essentials.

If it matters any, I use a great data recovery program called "Disk Digger". it's not free but is proably the best $15 I have spent in quite some time because lets face it, we all delete something important by accident from time to time.

@XXXxxxXXX (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=177130):

Not trying to be mean although I do agree with you about using registry optimization tools, they do more harm than good. BUT in disagreement, if you are using Windows disk cleanup and defrag utilities your just not getting all the junk removed. The Windows disk cleanup utility is well known for missing and / or leaving all kinds of useless junk behind on your HD and it's disk defragger pretty much does no help whatsoever.

Ya I have to agree with DarkKnight on this the windows tools are terrible cleaning options the registry will slow your computer right down if you have too many invalid entries most items I clean out manually but I searched long and hard for a true x64 cleaner as well that won't cause you to recieve system errors or mess up the registry which is why I have stuck by clean my pc reg cleaner for all these years most reg cleaners say they are 64 bit but are not and remove entries they should not I would never use an app such as tune up or any of those types too many risks of removing entries required.

MrToxicCodes
July 20th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I do not use any of the programs that come with windows. I do not trust them. I have seen and heard more bad stories of people using windows exe. I prefer to go with something that does the job right and quick and throughly. And that people most recommend and use. Or something that basic but very good

glassyeyed
July 21st, 2012, 05:00 AM
I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 which has served me well.

Ccleaner for cleaning and optimization.

For a really thorough cleaning I have backup image of my system using Acronis 2012 made just after a fresh install and customized the way I want.

Revo Uninstaller Pro for uninstalling programs.

As I now use an SSD for my primary OS I can no longer defrag the drive but use the Intel toolbox for optimization instead.

However when I was using a spinner I used a good program called Puran Defrag that could defragment the entire drive during boot to defragment files that were normally locked or normally in use.

XXXxxxXXX
July 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Dark Knight You have to start the cleanup utility with this parameters: Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 /sagerun:65535 then you have much more settings to cleanup your pc. Somewhere I read that the win7 defrag tool is better than most other tools (don't know where, but it was a trustworthy source).

XXXxxxXXX
July 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
the registry will slow your computer right down if you have too many invalid entries
That's false! Every program which want to read a registry key/value knows what entry it want to read so it directly access' this entry. Entries not used by any program are just ignored. They don't slow down your system. They just reserve a few bits of your hd.
So using registry tools doesn't make your system faster but sometimes this registry tools delete values which are still used by some programs. So this program won't work anymore...

8pecxstudios
July 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM
That's false! Every program which want to read a registry key/value knows what entry it want to read so it directly access' this entry. Entries not used by any program are just ignored. They don't slow down your system. They just reserve a few bits of your hd.
So using registry tools doesn't make your system faster but sometimes this registry tools delete values which are still used by some programs. So this program won't work anymore...

Actually They Do Slow Your PC Because Each Registry Nodule Is Preloaded Into The Memory At Boot So It Slows Boot Times As Well As Main And Basic Operations With In Your OS Also To Many Dead Entry's In Your Registry Can Interfere Or Cause Issues With Other Applications That Have A Similar Style Nodule.

On An Other Note A Clogged Registry Can Cause Applications To Have Memory Leaks Where It Can't Successfully Unload Its Self From The Ram Cache After You Close The App Causing High Ram Usage Within Your OS.

XXXxxxXXX
July 21st, 2012, 01:24 PM
The RAM of modern PCs is so fast - a few bits more or less don't affect anything...
Have a look at the files C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE and %userprofile%\ntuser.dat (hidden systemfile) and have a look how large it is before cleaning with registry tools and after. I bet the difference isn't great. And this are the two main files of the registry, which are loaded to memory every systemstart.

Edit: And could you please tell me how an overloaded registry should cause memoryleaks in applications??

July 21st, 2012, 01:43 PM
I don't use any "optimization" tools. If you know how the registry works, you would know that you can't "defrag" it and that it is completely unnecessary to delete old entries. There is a chance that reg tools destroy your system, but no chance that it optimizes something...
As cleaning tool I just use the windows disk cleanup, as defrag tool the windows defrag and as av avast.
If I want to "tweak" something I do this manually.

true you cannot defrag the registry. people need to get that through their heads. as for deleting old registry entries to fix problems that does work, but only do it by hand unless your really understand the program you are using. like registry help pro that i use. i only use it to find all the entries at one time instead of having to click find next over and over again, and even then i read each entry completely to make sure it should be deleted. defragging drives should only be preformed on your operating system drive, and only once a month. like razorsedge i have tried out a lot of the defraggers and o&o seems to be the best. the builtin defragger in windows is as worthless as it was in win 98, not better than most.

razorsedge
July 21st, 2012, 11:43 PM
The RAM of modern PCs is so fast - a few bits more or less don't affect anything...
Have a look at the files C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE and %userprofile%\ntuser.dat (hidden systemfile) and have a look how large it is before cleaning with registry tools and after. I bet the difference isn't great. And this are the two main files of the registry, which are loaded to memory every systemstart.

Edit: And could you please tell me how an overloaded registry should cause memoryleaks in applications??

I am sorry to say you are very much mistaken on this fact and I can justify this in one easy way. Take a system that you have been using lets say for 1 or 2 years now even with most of us that delete the registry entries manually on most occasions after uninstalling an application most times you may get 90% or so some are normally left behind even by the most seasoned pros when removing, unless you use an application like reg shot when installing apps and making notes of all the reg entries captured during an install.

Over time these non relevant entries and system junk pile up on the system even if using a lot of ram and slow down the computer am I saying slow down to a crawl no not on todays systems but still the slow down effects performance, as time goes on this accumulates more and more. So you take that system you have been using for 1 and 2 years and install the duplicate system on an exact same machine with the exact same applications as a clean fresh install do your after install cleaning and defrag and which system runs better it's very easy to tell which system is quicker as the fresh install does not have the years of junk left behind on it which as I said even for most seasoned pros there will still be things left over that accumulate over time :)

nikbane
July 30th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I am sorry to say you are very much mistaken on this fact and I can justify this in one easy way. Take a system that you have been using lets say for 1 or 2 years now even with most of us that delete the registry entries manually on most occasions after uninstalling an application most times you may get 90% or so some are normally left behind even by the most seasoned pros when removing, unless you use an application like reg shot when installing apps and making notes of all the reg entries captured during an install.

Over time these non relevant entries and system junk pile up on the system even if using a lot of ram and slow down the computer am I saying slow down to a crawl no not on todays systems but still the slow down effects performance, as time goes on this accumulates more and more. So you take that system you have been using for 1 and 2 years and install the duplicate system on an exact same machine with the exact same applications as a clean fresh install do your after install cleaning and defrag and which system runs better it's very easy to tell which system is quicker as the fresh install does not have the years of junk left behind on it which as I said even for most seasoned pros there will still be things left over that accumulate over time :)

Yes! Pin-point info.

AV:
Avast Free! - Weekly Wednesdays Scan
Malwarebytes Pro - Weekly Wednesdays Scan , no website protection

Optimizers:
Your Unistaller! - Removes programs completely with registry entries
CCleaner - Daily use , self explanatory (Crap cleaner)
Defragger - Every 3 months

Testing (To test or use programs without affecting my system):
Sandboxie (My favorite)
VMware

Routine:
Yearly Summer Reformat of OS
Clean new slate every year and just install all my used programs again

gor17981
July 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Bit Defender all the way here, Firewall and realtime protection enabled, everything else disabled, Ccleaner for removing Junk, and Revo Uninstaller for ...uninstalling lol, spybots and Malwarebytes ran maybe once a month, Auslogics disk defrag , defrag and optimize once a month.
Never had no Viruses, system is always free from malware, had no issues at all with this set up.

joderiz
July 31st, 2012, 06:59 AM
buongiorno, i use avast free , malwerebytes 1 time every 7 day, wise diskcleaner 1 time a day, wise registrycleaner only after i unistalledd a programm , defrag of the windows 1 time every month , and autoruns for optimize boot of system ,ccleaner only for cookie , sorry for my little english ,by

YourNumbr1Fan
July 31st, 2012, 09:49 AM
I've found that Microsoft Security Essentials is all I need. Does a fantastic job! I used to use Kaspersky, another time Norton.....I've used all the heavy-hitters, actually, at one time or another. Most are just bloat. I don't want an antivirus that's too busy, drains too much cpu, has all the extra crapola. All I want is effective (and user-friendly) antivirus/antispyware.....If I tell it to "Allow" something, by God, that's what I want!, you know? MSE is perfect for me. About the only thing they've gotten right lately, aside from the Win7 OS. LOL!
I also use TuneUp Utilities, and run 1-click Maintenance every day, plus a couple of the other options.
For privacy, I love East Tec Eraser. A fantastic proggy, with many great options as far as deleting the histories of most known browsers and programs, plus over-writing individual files up to 35-times if needed, using several very effective methods. Also has the option to over-write an entire drive and the free-space of any drive.
Defragging only needs to be done occasionally. The new hard-drives in most Win7 computers don't really need to be defragged often; that action isn't as healthy for your drive as it once was, say with the old XP machines. SATA drives need it less, much less.....maybe once every 3 or 4 months tops. Win7 actually will auto-defrag perfectly without any user-action, whenever it needs to, when your not using it. But, I do run the defrag in my TuneUp Utilities proggy evry now & then anyway.
I choose my software from EXPERIENCE alone. I'm an old-hand at electronics, have learned the hard way from most of the mistakes I made years ago with computers. When I first started out using computers, I didn't know what I was doing, got viruses all the time, crashed my OS a lot from screwing with system-files the wrong way, etc., etc., etc........Now I can do just about anything with a computer, and mine is as fast as lightning.

MrToxicCodes
July 31st, 2012, 10:11 AM
I've found that Microsoft Security Essentials is all I need. Does a fantastic job! I used to use Kaspersky, another time Norton.....I've used all the heavy-hitters, actually, at one time or another. Most are just bloat. I don't want an antivirus that's too busy, drains too much cpu, has all the extra crapola. All I want is effective (and user-friendly) antivirus/antispyware.....If I tell it to "Allow" something, by God, that's what I want!, you know? MSE is perfect for me. About the only thing they've gotten right lately, aside from the Win7 OS. LOL!
I also use TuneUp Utilities, and run 1-click Maintenance every day, plus a couple of the other options.
For privacy, I love East Tec Eraser. A fantastic proggy, with many great options as far as deleting the histories of most known browsers and programs, plus over-writing individual files up to 35-times if needed, using several very effective methods. Also has the option to over-write an entire drive and the free-space of any drive.
Defragging only needs to be done occasionally. The new hard-drives in most Win7 computers don't really need to be defragged often; that action isn't as healthy for your drive as it once was, say with the old XP machines. SATA drives need it less, much less.....maybe once every 3 or 4 months tops. Win7 actually will auto-defrag perfectly without any user-action, whenever it needs to, when your not using it. But, I do run the defrag in my TuneUp Utilities proggy evry now & then anyway.
I choose my software from EXPERIENCE alone. I'm an old-hand at electronics, have learned the hard way from most of the mistakes I made years ago with computers. When I first started out using computers, I didn't know what I was doing, got viruses all the time, crashed my OS a lot from screwing with system-files the wrong way, etc., etc., etc........Now I can do just about anything with a computer, and mine is as fast as lightning.

Avg internet security barely uses any cpu. I have a cpu gadget and only times its gets high when i runs games or something big.

8pecxstudios
July 31st, 2012, 11:16 AM

wow awesome tho i would not use Microsoft security essentials Or Windows Defender or windows firewall lol MS essentials is not even on the top 100 AV lists i have so many friends that have used it and its the worse av ever lol with essentials you can have 100's of viruses with out knowing as its virus definition database is way out dated and even if it actually detects a virus it can properly remove it i suggest upgrading lol dont get norton as hackers stole the source code to it and its hack city lol
AVG is lite fast and works on some tho not overly effective.
Trend mirco stand clear of.
advast low-medium
bull guard is medium level.
comodo AV and firewall are medium-high good combo and power house & Free
i have tryed them all friends have tryed them all

nothing to date can match Bitdefender.
note bitdefender updates virus definitions multiple times a day as new viruses are found and made into definitions bitdefender updates giving you protection against the latest and greats little badboy's lol.
little resource happy with full scans of system.
2012 is highly automated and not much in customizable
2011 has fully customizable settings.

XXXxxxXXX
July 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
lol Really bud, these av's aren't so different. No AV is better than brain2.0.exe :D
OK, using no AV isn't good aswell but it really doesn't matter much which one you use. Every AV detects old viruses, no AV detects really new viruses. It's really easy to write a virus which isn't recognized by any AV, just submit it to virustotal and change a little bit every time a av recognizes it.
And MSE really well integrates to your system (because windows is from MS and MSE is from MS lol)

And razorsedge So the only reason why I should clean my registry is, that a few megabyte less ram is reserved? It doesn't matter whether you load 80MB or 100MB to RAM every boot. Max. a few seconds and like this no reg tool destroys my system. I'm registered in a win7 forum and nearly every weak there is somebody who says "my pc won't work correctly anymore" and at the end you see that tuneup utilitys did change a registry entrie which it didn't have to change...

July 31st, 2012, 03:48 PM
XXXxxxXXX (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/177130-XXXxxxXXX), no not every av / security software is basically the same. some are actually on top of things and have a patch within hours of a virus, rootkit, trojan, etc... release, others wait for their competition to find a fix and backwards engineer it, some you cannot change any settings once installed, others if you can think of something to change the setting to do so is there, etc... as for mse i have said it too many times to count i'm not about to trust the security of my pc to the manufacture of my os. call it being a little paranoid but running any os i have to wonder what information the manufacture is getting about me even though i have taken extensive steps to keep my information private. since the manufacture of the os knows more about the particular os than anyone else i have to question if security software manufactured by them doesn't exploit the os so they can quietly get data on you. i'm not saying 3rd party av / security software doesn't try to exploit the os, but they don't even come close to knowing as much about the os as the os's manufacture does. now as for what mse does or doesn't catch far, far more people and experts say it is just as good at catching items as most av / security software. as for tuneup utilities i would never recommend it to anyone.

XXXxxxXXX
July 31st, 2012, 04:42 PM
I didn't meant that every AV is completely the same, but it doesn't really matter which one you use. It's just a personal decision and I don't think that anybody is able to say "this av is completely shit and this one is completely awesome". No matter what av you use, it is easy to hide from it for viruses. OK, some AVs are faster in detecting new viruses and other are not as fast but I don't think that there's a huge difference.
And to MSE: I don't think that MS wants to get all your personal data. Precisly because MS created the MS it doesn't have to use programs like MSE to get your data. MS could simply use windows itself. But if someone realizes that MS gets all your data, MS could be ruined. Smaller software manufactures don't have reputation to loose so they can do much more risk.
Anyway, at the moment I'm using Linux (KUbuntu) and because this is opensource it's improbable that linux gets my private data :P

razorsedge
July 31st, 2012, 10:39 PM
I didn't meant that every AV is completely the same, but it doesn't really matter which one you use. It's just a personal decision and I don't think that anybody is able to say "this av is completely shit and this one is completely awesome". No matter what av you use, it is easy to hide from it for viruses. OK, some AVs are faster in detecting new viruses and other are not as fast but I don't think that there's a huge difference.
And to MSE: I don't think that MS wants to get all your personal data. Precisly because MS created the MS it doesn't have to use programs like MSE to get your data. MS could simply use windows itself. But if someone realizes that MS gets all your data, MS could be ruined. Smaller software manufactures don't have reputation to loose so they can do much more risk.
Anyway, at the moment I'm using Linux (KUbuntu) and because this is opensource it's improbable that linux gets my private data :P

xxxXXXxxx I agree with you on tuneup utilities I know it's a popular program that a lot of people use but I also fix and repair computers on the side and have seen that app mess up many computers over time works great for some but it is not the greatest especially when it comes to registry as that is where it can create issues especially on an x64 system because even though it says it's a x64 cleaner it's not a true x64 cleaner and will delete registry values at times the os needs.

The point I was trying to make to you earlier is that you do need tp clean your system now and then as over time junk and invalid registry items do pile up, I believe in your response to me you said it was not something that needed to be done on todays machines because they are so fast which is not correct as over time junk and invalid registry items will slow down your computer and not just on boot but overall performance which is why in my last post I make reference to installing the same system on a duplicate machine.

Choosing apps wisely and testing them for your needs is always up to user preference myself it took me years to settle on ccleaner as a junk cleaner and cleanmypc registry cleaner for invalid registry items cleanmypc registry cleaner is not to be confused with the former mac app clean my pc that is now able to do windows systems same name but 2 different companies and 2 different apps the reason I stay with that registry cleaner is it is the only TRUE x64 cleaner for registry I have ever found lot's of apps claim to be x64 cleaners and are in fact not lol

As for antiviruses again here we are talking user preference what people are comfortable with myself I am a big booster of bit defender I have used this av for over humm must be going on 7 years now or so and never had an infection I don,t need to run any extra protection because bit does it all malware, excellent firewall, virus databases updated daily uses more resources then a free av but for the protection it gives I would never look in another direction. The only av I would have to look at and be most hesitant on is mse just based on the fact that this av is made by the makers of the operating system we use ( windows ) a company that when building and os has to have monthly updates to plug in security holes in the operating system I could honestly not say with a good frame of mind that I would want my av to be made by a company that after all this time still has so many holes in their os that they need to have so many updates for it lol. If ms would spend a bit more time on the os's before release to make them better rather then push out what they think we need and try to force us into using what they want us to use windows would be a much better operating system overall lol

YourNumbr1Fan
July 31st, 2012, 11:49 PM
Those who mess thier computers up with TineUp Utilities have to be real idiots to do that...I've used it for years and years, never a single hiccup. Most of what the program does, I can do manually anyway, but I like the Turbo-Mode and other features----makes doing some things just easier.
As for Microsoft Security Essentials, I don't want to get into a big argument about it, but I also have worked plenty repairing computers, am very familiar with what most infections do and look like and disguise themselves as....I have been running MSE ever since Win7 first came out, and I love it. Leaves NO footprint on my system, doesn't harass me with false-positives (I do a lot of stuff that requires hacking and such, and run several hacked programs). The other ones are always snatching my "good trojans" and pissing me off, telling me "DANGER: HACK TOOL!" and such nonsense. MSE tells you one time, then you can just choose "Allow" and that's all good. Very user-friendly. And, when I have downloaded an actual baddie (sometimes on purpose, just to test MSE), the program alerted me and I told it to either quaranteen it or remove it. Very simple, very quick, no fuss. Norton, I hate. KIS, hate. BitDefender....it's fine, but I still like the MSE better. Haven't tried that one called "BullGuard" or some of the other new ones. Panda, hate it too. I've had more so-called av programs crash my system than actual baddies. Haven't had an infection in a couple of years now, however.
As RE said above, it's just your preference, plus I think your level of brain-power. Most av proggies are designed for the masses, those who know nothing at all about their computers. Microsoft surprised me bigtime that they were able to create a good av program! Believe me, I was VERY skeptical in the beginning! But....they impressed me with this one. I too am a very private person; I don't like spyware, companies retrieving any of my personal information, for ANY reason. MSE doesn't; all you gotta do when you set it up is tell it that NO, I do NOT wish to participate in any "customer satisfaction" hogwash. MSE is on my computer and my wife's lappy, both, and we are both cool with that. And, by the way, it DOES update it's definitions in real-time (cloud)....just like all the other big ones. If you buy those others, you are paying for a name and a slick-looking ui only.
Plenty of people on the Internet say "I know what I'm talking about" or "I repair computers for a living"---and some may at that----But! My best judge has always been personal EXPERIENCE.

razorsedge
August 1st, 2012, 12:32 AM
Those who mess thier computers up with TineUp Utilities have to be real idiots to do that...I've used it for years and years, never a single hiccup. Most of what the program does, I can do manually anyway, but I like the Turbo-Mode and other features----makes doing some things just easier.
As for Microsoft Security Essentials, I don't want to get into a big argument about it, but I also have worked plenty repairing computers, am very familiar with what most infections do and look like and disguise themselves as....I have been running MSE ever since Win7 first came out, and I love it. Leaves NO footprint on my system, doesn't harass me with false-positives (I do a lot of stuff that requires hacking and such, and run several hacked programs). The other ones are always snatching my "good trojans" and pissing me off, telling me "DANGER: HACK TOOL!" and such nonsense. MSE tells you one time, then you can just choose "Allow" and that's all good. Very user-friendly. And, when I have downloaded an actual baddie (sometimes on purpose, just to test MSE), the program alerted me and I told it to either quaranteen it or remove it. Very simple, very quick, no fuss. Norton, I hate. KIS, hate. BitDefender....it's fine, but I still like the MSE better. Haven't tried that one called "BullGuard" or some of the other new ones. Panda, hate it too. I've had more so-called av programs crash my system than actual baddies. Haven't had an infection in a couple of years now, however.
As RE said above, it's just your preference, plus I think your level of brain-power. Most av proggies are designed for the masses, those who know nothing at all about their computers. Microsoft surprised me bigtime that they were able to create a good av program! Believe me, I was VERY skeptical in the beginning! But....they impressed me with this one. I too am a very private person; I don't like spyware, companies retrieving any of my personal information, for ANY reason. MSE doesn't; all you gotta do when you set it up is tell it that NO, I do NOT wish to participate in any "customer satisfaction" hogwash. MSE is on my computer and my wife's lappy, both, and we are both cool with that. And, by the way, it DOES update it's definitions in real-time (cloud)....just like all the other big ones. If you buy those others, you are paying for a name and a slick-looking ui only.
Plenty of people on the Internet say "I know what I'm talking about" or "I repair computers for a living"---and some may at that----But! My best judge has always been personal EXPERIENCE.

You make a lot of the right points in your comment jimmy :) Mos apps come down to a personal preference of what u like and don't like to use based on experience we could talk ourselves blue in the face trying to tell each other what is better lol

It's always what your comfortable with many many years ago and I am talking 10 or more I was using dam cant even think of the av now lol I was helping someone repair a computer over a remote connection and they were infected and the infection jumped though the connect and into my computer that made me quite unhappy so I switched to avg on the advice of a guy who worked with antiviruses companies in the day and for the first few years it was really good then again I was helping someone fix a computer on a remote connection and bam they were infected and I got infected lol I was pretty pissed the second time in fact that was the last time I ever fixed a computer over a remote connect lmao

Well hence to say at that point I did my research and thats when I found Bit defender and have not looked back since I use the 2011 version myself as the new 2012 although really good is mostly automatied for the novice user and no advanced options really 2011 gives me those advanced options that well for me are a must have I don't even run real time protection as I don't need my av to scan everything every time it opens as long as u know what ur dling and scanning after dl to make sure its clean plus I test all apps on my back up first to make sure they are gd lol

I mean for me I understand u like mse so do many ppl but for fun I have always had one other thought about mse lol

ms does not really give stuff away for free they never have I have always been a bit puzzled as to why their av came out as free thats just always been one question on my mind lol :)

Dark Knight
August 1st, 2012, 01:02 AM
Those who mess thier computers up with TineUp Utilities have to be real idiots to do that......

You know ..... I am kind of offended by the above remark. We are all adults here and are supposed to be having an educated disscussion on things and not call people "idiots". We are all pretty much experienced when it comes to electronics, what's good for one may be bad for another, if I give a bad mark on something you like and you think it performs well for you, well then good for you, it's no reaon to call anyone an idiot ......NOW......With that being said, had you asked me ten years ago about Tuneup Utilities I would have given it the highest of highest praise, ask me today and I will tell you it is nothing less than bloatware, a bunch of useless utilities crammed into a program that USED to be good.

@YourNumbr1Fan (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=194932) - I doubt very much that anyone (including myself) "messed" up their system by not nowing how to use Tuneup Utilities, everything is pretty straight forward, a child could use it. The problem comes from the software itself, myself personally had to go back to a previous restore point after using TU 2012 because the changes that it made that were "supposed" to optimize my computers performance actually slowed it down ...... considerably. Like Norton AV when it too was bloatware a few years back, Tuneup will get the hint when their sales drop and enough people complain before they get their act together and get back to basics.

August 1st, 2012, 01:37 AM
You know ..... I am kind of offended by the above remark. We are all adults here and are supposed to be having an educated disscussion on things and not call people "idiots". We are all pretty much experienced when it comes to electronics, what's good for one may be bad for another, if I give a bad mark on something you like and you think it performs well for you, well then good for you, it's no reaon to call anyone an idiot ......NOW......With that being said, had you asked me ten years ago about Tuneup Utilities I would have given it the highest of highest praise, ask me today and I will tell you it is nothing less than bloatware, a bunch of useless utilities crammed into a program that USED to be good.

@YourNumbr1Fan (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=194932) - I doubt very much that anyone (including myself) "messed" up their system by not nowing how to use Tuneup Utilities, everything is pretty straight forward, a child could use it. The problem comes from the software itself, myself personally had to go back to a previous restore point after using TU 2012 because the changes that it made that were "supposed" to optimize my computers performance actually slowed it down ...... considerably. Like Norton AV when it too was bloatware a few years back, Tuneup will get the hint when their sales drop and enough people complain before they get their act together and get back to basics.

Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight) i have to agree with YourNumbr1Fan (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/194932-YourNumbr1Fan) cause if you pay attention to what you're doing with tuneup utilities you won't have any problems, but i've seen too many times to count peeps manage to mess up there comp using tuneup or should i say misuse. Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight) i do have to agree that years ago i would of said tuneup was a great app, but now it is exactly as you stated "ask me today and I will tell you it is nothing less than bloatware". personally i think there has been enough off topic discussion in this thread. it was meant as a thread to post what you use, not to discuss why you use it. can we please get back on topic?

YourNumbr1Fan
August 1st, 2012, 01:52 AM
@Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight)--man, nobody called you an idiot! I was actually speaking in general terms, but, if you just WANT to be offended, be my guest.
I just think the program is pretty straight-forward, and you'd have to actually DO something extra to screw up your computer. But hell, EVERYTHING you do on your computer can potentially mess it up! It's "how" you do it that determines the outcome. Just moving a certain file the wrong way can lead to disaster.
Sorry you got your feelings hurt, but again, I wasn't really talking to you specifically. Yes, we're all adults (I'm 44), and name-calling isn't cool. Guess I said it wrong. I'm just a southern boy from east Tennessee, and prolly don't realize I've offended anyone til it happens.

lmao

I'm moving on, guys.....

XXXxxxXXX
August 1st, 2012, 08:56 AM
razorsedge you say that cleaning the registry is important because to much registry entries could slow down the system. But still nobody could tell me, how they slow down your system. Every program, which uses the registry, knows which registry entrie it want to use so it directly accesses this entrie. If there are a few more entries - so what? No app cares about them...

August 1st, 2012, 01:55 PM
@razorsedge (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=148478) you say that cleaning the registry is important because to much registry entries could slow down the system. But still nobody could tell me, how they slow down your system. Every program, which uses the registry, knows which registry entrie it want to use so it directly accesses this entrie. If there are a few more entries - so what? No app cares about them...

not even remotely accurate. just as your comps bios which is an os tells windows what hardware you have the registry which is an os tells windows what it needs to do. this includes in a lot of cases trying to launch items that you have uninstalled but left items in the registry. you may not see windows try to launch a lot of items but the attempt is still there. these attempts to run items that have been removed in windows but still have leftover items in the registry use resources just like anything else on the comp does. going into the registry with a good registry cleaner and hand cleaning old entries will help speed the comp back up. just like in windows itself the more on your c drive the longer windows takes to load cause the more files windows has to navigate through to find what to launch first. the same is true with the registry. long story short cleaning up the registry really is no different than cleaning windows itself, and is a necessity.

Big V
August 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Well as for the point razorsedge was trying to make I believe is all those extra entry's eventually pile up and cause backlogs as the apps are having to read those entrys along with the current good entry. If your system has the read 100 extra entrys or so on every program when it loading that is going to slow your system. It just like when your searching the net and you get 50 returns on a query but your only looking for one and you have to go threw all those entries how much time have you just wasted.. A shitload.

Next I'm probablly gonna offend more than one person here if you get so easily offended by a simple comment made earlier in this thread. It doesn't matter what AV or reg cleaner your using... their is always gonna be a good application for one person and not so good for the next person. It all boils down to personal preference on what your comfortable using and here is the next big key point... Your Own Internet and Computer Use Habits!!!
If your foolish enough to hangout in those nasty areas of net where virsus and other nasty's live in abundance like porn, social networking, hackers & warez sites and other risky places then your asking for problems. If your like my sister and wants to click on every little thing that pops up on your browser your gonna have issues. If you don't use some sort of adware & cookie blocking enabled your gonna have problems. It is the internet and it riddled with bad and harmful things we should all know this by now.

If you play with your OS registry without knowing what your doing or rely on an automated program to do all the thinking for you without reading or knowing what you or the program is messing with, deleteing, or changing than you are an idiot plain and simple in my opinion.

If your offended by these statements then i suggest you grow a thicker skin as this is the modern internet and being called an idiot is extremely mild compared to some of the stuff that is posted across the net.

Guys this thread has gone way off topic and it time to get back to what the original topic was.

XXXxxxXXX
August 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
cause the more files windows has to navigate through to find what to launch first. the same is true with the registry.
Windows don't have to walk through the registry to find entries. Windows can directly access keys it wants to access. So old values are ignored. Sure you have to clean your autostart so you have to clean a few registry keys, too. This I do with autoruns. But you don't have to do more with your registry.

August 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM
i'll repeat my first post in this thread in a effort to get the thread back on topic.

registry help pro 1.80
defragger o&o drfrag 15.8.801 - run only on c and only once a month.

razorsedge
August 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM
Windows don't have to walk through the registry to find entries. Windows can directly access keys it wants to access. So old values are ignored. Sure you have to clean your autostart so you have to clean a few registry keys, too. This I do with autoruns. But you don't have to do more with your registry.

As I said in the previous post this really is personal preference on what you like to do and what apps you want to use we could say to each other till we are blue in the face whats better or what to do but it comes down to what you like to use or do :)

@razorsedge (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=148478) you say that cleaning the registry is important because to much registry entries could slow down the system. But still nobody could tell me, how they slow down your system. Every program, which uses the registry, knows which registry entrie it want to use so it directly accesses this entrie. If there are a few more entries - so what? No app cares about them...

As for your above comment in you saying no one can tell me how it slows down your computer we all have as I did as well by explaining that if you took a system that you had been using for 1 or 2 years and installed the exact same os with all the same apps as a fresh clean install and see what os is better performance wise it's very easy to tell you can even benchmark the results and see for yourself as well as the others who have all made the same point it effects performance what else would you like to know and understand preformance is what gets effected lol

As you say or what your implying is that old invalid registry entries do not effect the system but you did state earlier that you do remove entries manually yourself every so often so if you don't believe they effect your system then why are you removing any at all. If invalid registry entries don't effect your system as you state then junk files won't either so here is my suggestion run your computer for the next year without removing any junk files or invalid registry files then after the year is up clean your system and come back and tell me if your computer is better performance wise and you will have your answer lol

As for this thread going off topic well its a discussion thread these things are bound to happen people are going to have things to say so don't fret guys and gals lol

As again for what the topic is on

Antivirus - Bit Defender 2011

Registry Cleaner - CleanMYPC registry cleaner

Junk Files cleaner - CCleaner

Defragger - O&O defrag ( windows defrag diabled O&O used every 3 or 4 mths )

Other cleaners - removing stuff myself manually lol

Thats all folks :happy:

8pecxstudios
August 1st, 2012, 10:39 PM
AV/Firewall 100% Bit-defender For life The No1 AV/Firewall That No Others Are Able To Surpass I Use 2012 cuz im lazy but will got back to 2011 version next format.

i Choose Bit-defender becuase its the best on the market and its the most popular Net Defender for websites also.

Reg/Junk Killers i use glary's Pro never had issues with it on x64bit and its function and feature are the best out of all i have used also i run custom script to remove windows cookies & internet cookies and clear all windows temp caches.

De-frag http://virtualcustoms.net/images/smilies/Animated%20Smilies_069.gif yeah i lack in that department but my boot times are fast even with all the adobe bloat and other junk so i don't de-frag often. tho my system gets formatted nearly once a month so that's also another reason i don't de-frag.

:laughing:

killjoy
August 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Well I will throw a big wrench in this discussion despite the reaction im sure i will get....
I use:
ccleaner....
windows firewall..
nothing more...
I ran through testing phases of different antiviruses over the years and had viruses hit a few times..
now i run my os bare bones after 2 years i have not had anything bad enough to cause any problems with my pc..
do the math... most antiviruses are payware even the free ones have a "premium version"..
If the consumer is to pay for a product surely they need to feel like they are getting something for their money...

so its easy enough for antivirus companies to give you what you payed for.
say you are running free antivirus xx and suddenly your computer locks up you cant login or do anything so you go to your laptop or a friends pc and google the symptoms... of course there is always an answer on google right... it says oh thats the big bad virus xx and you need adaware to get rid of that... so you slap adaware on a thumbdrive and rush to the rescue with your sollution and it works! woohoo!!!! your pc is back up and running.... and now you think it must be a good idea to shell out for adaware the gold package or whatever crap they are selling..

does anyone think that antivirus companies likely produce most of the viruses in the first place? How many hackers/coders do you think are out there spending their valuable time producing viruses just to give some poor unsuspecting pc user a bad day??? seriously think about it... how many people do you know that spread viruses over the web? you know a lot of techies right? hackers,coders, graphic designers, ect... do these people maliciously send out trojanz just because they can?

if you answered yes please kick your friend in the nuts for me...

My pc gets a reinstall about every 2 to 3 months. weather its slowing down or not...
if you own a windows 7 disc or have a built in recovery drive then why do you need to worry about a virus?
Just do not keep anything you need secure on your pc such as credit card info addresses ect..

Ask yourself Who stands to profit from your computer getting a virus? antivir companies thats who.
and maybe those $99 dollar virus removal shops you see in the city... these are the only people who actually have a good reason to spread viruses online.

6 years torrenting and i have never gotten a virus from a download. in fact the only times i ev er had an issue was when i was surfing random freeware sites...

now everyone can ooh and ahh about what i said but 2 years with no virus is satisfactory enough for me.

if you plan on running a single windows install for years with no reinstall then maybe you need something... But again you should never keep confidential materials on your pc no matter what super duper antivirus and firewall you have.. identity theives hackers ect are only looking for a profit if there is no profit to be had they will move on to somewhere they can profit.. and no 20 dollar antivir is gonna stop them...

razorsedge
August 7th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Well I will throw a big wrench in this discussion despite the reaction im sure i will get....
I use:
ccleaner....
windows firewall..
nothing more...
I ran through testing phases of different antiviruses over the years and had viruses hit a few times..
now i run my os bare bones after 2 years i have not had anything bad enough to cause any problems with my pc..
do the math... most antiviruses are payware even the free ones have a "premium version"..
If the consumer is to pay for a product surely they need to feel like they are getting something for their money...

so its easy enough for antivirus companies to give you what you payed for.
say you are running free antivirus xx and suddenly your computer locks up you cant login or do anything so you go to your laptop or a friends pc and google the symptoms... of course there is always an answer on google right... it says oh thats the big bad virus xx and you need adaware to get rid of that... so you slap adaware on a thumbdrive and rush to the rescue with your sollution and it works! woohoo!!!! your pc is back up and running.... and now you think it must be a good idea to shell out for adaware the gold package or whatever crap they are selling..

does anyone think that antivirus companies likely produce most of the viruses in the first place? How many hackers/coders do you think are out there spending their valuable time producing viruses just to give some poor unsuspecting pc user a bad day??? seriously think about it... how many people do you know that spread viruses over the web? you know a lot of techies right? hackers,coders, graphic designers, ect... do these people maliciously send out trojanz just because they can?

if you answered yes please kick your friend in the nuts for me...

My pc gets a reinstall about every 2 to 3 months. weather its slowing down or not...
if you own a windows 7 disc or have a built in recovery drive then why do you need to worry about a virus?
Just do not keep anything you need secure on your pc such as credit card info addresses ect..

Ask yourself Who stands to profit from your computer getting a virus? antivir companies thats who.
and maybe those $99 dollar virus removal shops you see in the city... these are the only people who actually have a good reason to spread viruses online.

6 years torrenting and i have never gotten a virus from a download. in fact the only times i ev er had an issue was when i was surfing random freeware sites...

now everyone can ooh and ahh about what i said but 2 years with no virus is satisfactory enough for me.

if you plan on running a single windows install for years with no reinstall then maybe you need something... But again you should never keep confidential materials on your pc no matter what super duper antivirus and firewall you have.. identity theives hackers ect are only looking for a profit if there is no profit to be had they will move on to somewhere they can profit.. and no 20 dollar antivir is gonna stop them...

It seems to me that you are way way behind the times lol and I mean way behind the times where do I start with this post.

Lets start with the bit you have about av companies putting out the viruses and how many people do you know that are real hackers and coders, identity theft theives and so on. I am not sure where you have been but there is alone thousands and thousands of just websites devoted to hacking, virus making hell there is yearly competitions for hackers and virus makers to see who is the best, windows has to put out monthly updates to plug holes in their operating system from relentless attacks by hackers and virus makers. Identity theft is a world wide epidemic that is not just regulated to information from your pc someone could steal mail with your info, you could have placed your bank or credit card into a hacked or tampered machine and it reads the info off it.

The part you say about how many ppl do you know that are hackers and virus makers these people do not go around advertizing who they are except for code computer names if you were a hacker or virus maker you would not go around telling ppl you are do you have any idea what would happen to them then do you figure they want to end up in jail or worse for things they have done that would kind of defeat the point would it not. You have heard of Annoymous I am sure correct and what they have done even going as far as hacking goverment agencies to prove their points and stand up for hacker nation do they go around telling ppl who they really are no one has a clue who these guys are and they have agencies like the FBI loking for them lol

Then you go on to state that you have not had a virus in 2 years is good enough for you. Let me ask you how would you even know if you did have one when your not running any av at all. Sure if you had a major infection you could see the computer slow down but most viruses are built to run quietly without notice and with no av you would not even know if you were infected, The only protection you have is windows firewall. This is made by the same company that has to put out montly updates to plug holes in their os's and thats the only protection you have how would you even know that any of the apps you are downloading or installing are infected you have nothing to scan them with thats a double negative point you made.

Then lets get to your point of you don't run an av because your pc gets a reinstall every 2 - 3 mths weather its slow or not. Let me ask do you wipe your hard drive before you do these reinstalls because as anyone knows the windows format is not very good if you are just formatting with windows and not doing a clean wipe of your hard drive before each install your not really getting rid of much if you have an infection already most would get past that reformat and still be in the hd. Especially if you doing it every few mths without a hd wipe I shutter to think at the amount of left over items you still have on that hd after each reinstall.

Also who wants to do a reformat on their computer every few mths thats why you get a good antivirus no one wants to spend every few mths having to redo their pc, they want it clean and protected so they do not have to reformat does anyone out there enjoy doing reformats of their pc the amount of time taking to reinstall everything and adding all your stuff back on especially these days when most people have terabytes and more terabytes of data thats a huge pain in the ass excuse my french.

Another part you claim that the only time you have been infected is from freeware well no s*hit freeware adds toolbars and home page hijackers if you don't read the instructions on install and freeware av's are just minimal protection. I mean what would be the point of these companies giving you the same protection on their freeware versions of avs as they do for the paid ones would pretty much defeat the purpose of the paid av's a free version is just there for you to try out to see if you like it then if you do u buy the real version for the maximum protection. Thats why they have contests every year for the best av's on the market ever see windows firewall in those lsitings lol hell no you don't cause the protection it offers is next to nothing especially as I stated before that you have no way of even knowing what your installing cause your not scanning these applications before you install them.

If you honestly think that a virus will not stick itself past the windows 7 recovery option on its disk I pitty you because if your infected with a nice nasty virus that recovery option will not help you one bit. Viruses the good ones are built to stay on your system to stick around and imbed themselves into windows backups so your forced to wipe a hd and reformat. Even then I have run across ones in my time from computers I have been given to fix where I have seen the viruses destroy the hds outright and left them as nothing more then a paper weight.

You do have to be careful in this day and age what data you leave on your hd but the fact of the matter is running a system in this day and age without any protection is pretty crazy all you have to do to get a virus is just click on the wrong webapge and boom you infected a good antivirus program will stop you from even going onto that infected webpage with no protection you have no warning and are hit as soon as you get there. This is the difference between a paid av and a free one most free ones will let the virus in and notify you after you have been infected and try to get rid of it, the av I use Bit Defender wont even let me run an app or hit a webpage thats infected. If I try and run an infected app that say I have not scanned before hand Bit will kill the ex's proces before it even starts and not allow me to run it even as administrator. An infected web page I get deverted to a bit defender warning page letting me know this page is infected and not to go there. Thats what a good av program does for you it stops you before you get infected not letting you know after you have been infected.

killjoy
August 7th, 2012, 03:37 AM
I believe everything you just said razors edge... But tell me this if i never put my credit card info or any other personal information on my pc in the first place then what do i have to be concerned about?

in fact i do not even have a credit card or even a bank account... for exactly the reasons you stated... i dont have anything anyone would want on my pc unless they wanna raid my porn stash...lol...so what is there to fear????? i Might Have to spend A few hours reinstalling windows and apps.... i would have done that any way because i like the new os feel.. not one thats been drug through the mud...so why should i overload my cheap little pc with bloated antivirs and defraggers and firewalls and a million things that ultimately lead to slow downs anyway? I went far down that road trying to maintain a pc and it was worthless.... Im not saying it works for everyone but i am saying it works for my case... my pc runs smooth as butter bare bones. and as for not knowing weather i have a virus i spent years experimenting before i came to my conclusion... i would wait 6 months and install avast premium or avg or other various programs run scans and never found a damn thing...can a virus break your hardware??????? i know it can fiddle with ram but can it physically damage your pc? so if it cannot and i have no concern of identity or credit card theft then why should i run the bloat? because we are told to fear viruses??

as i said its not for everyone.. and until some virus enters my computer and physically kills my pc rapes my mom and kicks my cat i think i stick to what years of testing my theory have taught me... im not saying you or anyone else should do what i do.... i wouldnt tell someone to nail a hooker with no hat either....lol... but just for fun sake suggest a free antivir you think is reliable and i will run it right now. this os has been in about a month... and yes i do wipe my harddrive every other install or so using partition wizard..

killjoy
August 7th, 2012, 03:59 AM
dont listen to me folks im a conspiracy theorist by breed... i dont think apollo went to the moon in 1969 either but thats another can of worms.
i honestly do not believe that there are nearly as many viruses floating around as people think... sure there are some but lets do some math i have run no antivir now for mmmm around 2 years... did my system crash even once? NO. did it even slow down? NO. im sure i do not know anything about the inner workings of viruses or hackers and really dgas.. the fact that my pc ran crappy and crashed numerous times using various cleaners and antivirs and since i stopped doing that i have not had a hiccup unless you count hacking the wrong reg file a few times... lol is enough for me to make my argument... dont believe???? pull out your old laptop from 5 years ago and run it bare bones for 6 months... meanwhile surfing porn and downloading torrents... if it crashes or shows positive for dozens of trojenz then you win..

killjoy
August 7th, 2012, 10:00 PM
After a little research i decided to run an avast scan on my c drive. I dont keep any files there other then installs and theme stuff. after my last reinstall this os is a month maybe 6 weeks old. it is fully themed and has pretty much all the programs i use installed.. here are the results.

my baby runs like butter on the hood of a car in arizona..lol.
though i do find myself sometimes running comodo firewall.. but if it starts to annoy me i give it the boot.