PDA

View Full Version : Building first gaming desktop, advice/help with build list...?

I Hunt Demons
September 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, sorry if this thread is not in the right place, I could not find a specific place for rig building. Anyways, I have compiled a list thanks to ibuypower.com, and I was wondering if this would be a good machine that will give me enough bang for my buck. I'm ultimately looking to play Skyrim maxed out graphically with an intense mod list (including graphical re-textures, and HD mods/skins). I'm not increadibly familiar with AMD configurations, however, I know AMD to be signifigantly cheaper than Intel. I'm looking for any advice, hardware recommendations, or help that you are willing to give and/or share.
The total cost would be about $1087

Here is the build list I am looking at:

Case (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
NZXT Guardian 921 RB Gaming Case - Black w/ Blue Light
Case Lighting (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
Processor (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
AMD FX-8150 CPU (8x 3.60GHz/8MB L2 Cache)
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
Processor Cooling (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB - Single Card
Motherboard (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970
Power Supply (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
500 Watt - Standard
Primary Hard Drive (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
Optical Drive (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
[12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive Black
2nd Optical Drive (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
Flash Media Reader / Writer (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
Meter Display (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
USB Expansion (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
Sound Card (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
2nd Monitor (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
None
Warranty (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Mouse (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
1 x Razer DeathAdder High Precision Optical Gaming Mouse
Keyboard (file:///C:/Users/Nathan/Documents/Budget Gaming Computer build list.docx)
1 x Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard

SirSlaughter
September 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM
OOH OOH! I KNOW! PICK ME!

If you build this from scratch from teh ground up you will save yourself a lot of money. Granted your warranties will have to be with each part manufacturer instead of a whole computer covered but if you know what you are doing and you now how to take care of a PC then you will be fine. Now I had an i3 2120 and it was paired with my Nvidia gtx 560ti, now with that alone I was able to decimate skyrim and still am. I upgraded to an i7 3770K but I still have the same graphics card. If you want to play Skyrim maxed out you don't have to look far. They didn't make it a taxing game even with the mods. I am happy for that. But obviously you are gonna want that kind of performance with every game you have so let's get on with the flame war:

AMD: I know a lot of fans of these guys are gonna bash me hard and come after me with torches and pitchforks soon But I must state facts; The processors may be cheap and they do overclock well, But they can't hold a candle to Intel very well right now. They get the job done and there is no doubt about that. However, the performance comparisons just aren't that good. But a processor like the one you got there will do some real but kicking in the game department anyway.

Graphics card: That is a decent card you chose but be warned about the driver updates. Nvidia pumps their updates out nearly weekly if not only a few days after a games release. You will do just fine with it for years to come but if there is some sort of error or problem in the game that is cased by your car be ready to sit and stare at your game case for a bit lol.

Power supply: now it only comes with a 500? Well I don't know way too much about wattage and power consumption with PCs anyway so bleh I am stuck there.

And look out with that cathode light. I know a lot of guys here use them but I had 2 sets and they all died on me the same day. Probably just brand or something but look out for it.

Other than that I would just say check if you can get these pieces individually and build it yourself from the ground up. Ibuypower makes its money by charging supercharges for pretty colors and being built for you already. But a warranty is never a bad thing so If you are unsure you can build a computer without killing it in the process from static or something than I say ok sure you can go with this.

I Hunt Demons
September 14th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cool, thanks for the help, SirSlaughter!

I will try and see what I can piece together from Newegg, and other sites. Could you maybe give me a few other sites to check out for parts?
Also, if I am running a liquid cooling system, do I need a reservoir? because I am not sure if the pump that I chose comes with a reservoir.

I also cannot believe that a quad core processor can decimate games! that will save me a ton of money, and I'm assuming that my RAM is fine...?

Also what do I need to pay attention to when checking for compatibility issues with parts?

Luciel
September 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM
You will need a better PSU, it´s as simple as that, don´t skimp on it. Go for one with an 80+ certificate, and make it 600w, you´d prob be fine with an 80+ 500w, but might be cutting it short

Big V
September 14th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Well from the list you have compiled their would be a few minor things i would go little bigger with if your budget will allow it.
And their is nothing wrong with going AMD. I have always been an AMD fan myself. More bang for you bucks. Plus look at who holds the Guinnus book of records for fast cpu it's AMD with the bulldozer chip.

1. The power supply I would go with a larger wattage unit. This way it will allow for hardware upgrades down the road like vid cards that require more power. Plus for the small amount a larger unit would cost you now vs having to buy a whole new larger unit down the road if needed when you do an upgrade could save your wallet huge. I have a 550watt unit in my case and wish i had went larger when i built this system myself.

2.Also I would look at maybe doubling the memory you have if the board will handle it. Memory has come way down in price from what it use to be several years ago and is one of the cheapest performance upgrades

I would also do some checking on a few other sites like newegg, tigerdirect, fry's electronics, for price's you may get some better deals

SirSlaughter
September 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Just to clarify when I say it will decimate games I mean certain games use CPU intense coding such as Oblivion. Your GPU can be top of the line, But if you walk into the imperial city with a dualcore or something expect some lag. Some games use the CPU for ragdoll and such. Certain Benchmarks also test your CPU with physics tests as well. So A quad and up is a great idea. And yes that Bulldozer chip is a beast. So choose wisely and try to up the memory to 16GB This way when you render games you should be just fine. TAM is an essential part to game playing as well. And as for the watercooler: It depends on what you are going for. Are you doing a closed loop or something else. A good and easy way to go about Water cooling is get a Corsair. Anything else requires a bit of know-how that I sadly do NOT know...yet. I have seen videos and instructions but until I put it into practice I am clueless. That and a serious water cooling system is expensive and tedious.

Try to go wth maybe a Corsair 100 or 80.
Go with a 80+ GOLD not BRONZE Power supply. Gold means it passed the best tests. If you want better cable management then go modular so You can have a cleaner case.
If you can't decide on water cooling then Air cooling can get you very very far. I have a Thermaltake SpinQ on my 3770K and I have overclocked it and it ran at 4.2 GHz just fine. But my fallout would crash sometimes so I set it back and now it is better, But I am still learning so A little tweaking with RAM and CPU stuff and I should be set.

But anyway, listen to these guys, They know their stuff...except for BigV...AMD fanboy is what he is! LOL (just kidding V)

Big V
September 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah I admit i'm an AMD fanboy and proud of it. Ive just always had good luck using AMD and my wallet has also liked me for it lmao

I Hunt Demons
September 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Of course, none of these build lists are set in stone. I am looking for the best value for my money. What do you guys think of this:

Here are the links to the items:

DVD Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146070
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304
MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636
GFX Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Please let me know if there are any issues/concerns.
and by the way, I'll more than likely make a build video for you guys to see my work in progress... ;)

SirSlaughter
September 14th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Woah woah! Watch out for the deck star there. Not sure if they got better but I read up on the "DeathStar" scare of 2001(?). Those drives are bad stuff waiting to happen. Go with a Caviar Black if you can get your hands on one. Not too epensive and it still pumps out 7200RPM.

Oh and for the quad core, just in case, The Intel quads (LGA2011/1155/1156) have 2 threads each core making a virtual 8 cores on your machine. So I would upgrade that AMD with an 8-core if you got the money. That will last you forever. But hey it's all you. I'm just here pitchin in what I think. (go intel) :laughing:

But If I am wrong about the Deckstar thing let me know.

Luciel
September 14th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Personally the barracudas have always served me well so thats another option.

As for quad cores, SirSlaughter, the i5 quad cores do not have hyperthreading, only the i7 as far as I´m aware : )

8pecxstudios
September 14th, 2012, 11:34 PM
lol

PSU: get a corsair 850watt there a really good PSU gr8 prices too and leave plenty of head way for future upgrades on your rig i.e sli\crossfire

RAM: Corsiar or G.Skill G.skill have excellent ram very nice prices and excellent warranty just like corsair

CPU & Mobo That depends amd you could get there top of the line for a 3rd of the cost of going intel thats a buyers preference and how much you can or are willing to spend tho there has been a nice price drop on i7 2600ks and p67 sabertooth mobos due to the ivy bridge and z77 chipsets

GPU: Same Go's AMD or Nvidia personal choice you can get a realling nice amd card with lots of bang or you can burn a whole in your wallet and get a nvidia card and decimate all competition lmao

CPU Cooler: again personal choice Air or Water With Water Closed circuit or Full Customs water kit i have a H100 by corsair i highly recommend corsair as there RMA services are awesome they cam to my door picked it up 3 days later new one at the door most times they give you the new one straight away..

HDD Or SSD: sdd are the best way but not cheap lol

case and other parts: all optional and down to preference tho a nice big case with lots of room is best plenty or room for later upgrades...

Good luck and have fun

I Hunt Demons
September 15th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Thanks so much you guys. I klove all the information that I'm receiving on this topic. I will talk to a great personal friend I have that is really good at building systems, and see what we can come up with both of our heads put together. I will keep everyone posted. :D