PDA

View Full Version : Clover Brings Chrome-Style Tabs to Windows Explorer

September 30th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Clover Brings Chrome Style Tabs to Windows Explorer

Tab management in Chrome is great, and if you wish Windows Explorer had tabs that looked and worked like Google Chrome Clover is the app for you. Once Clovr is installed Windows Explorer will have tabs that work almost exactly like the ones in Chrome work. Cntrl+T opens a new tab, Ctrl+W closes it, even middle-clicking to close a tab works. There's even a new tab box to click for a fresh explorer tab. If you right-click on a tab, you even get the same contextual menu options including the option to re-open a closed tab, duplicate an existing tab, or pin a tab to the back of the list. Clover is completely free, and supports Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/and Windows 10. The tabbed interface is snappy and fast, and the tabbed interface compliments the stock explorer UI. The developer's site is in Chinese, but he has an English page on his site(linked below).

Now the installer is in Chinese as Nimbi (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280551-Nimbi) pointed out, but just click that big white
button and it will install. after it finishes just exit the installer without clicking anything on the next screen
(If you Have a version of Clover already installed make sure you do uninstall it prior to installing the update. I suggest using "Program And Freature" if you don't use a 3rd part uninstaller.)

Version: 3.1.5
Requirements: Windows XP / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10
Language: English / 简体中文 / 繁體中文 / 日本語 / Français / Español / Russian / Deutsch / Nederlands / Português

DOWNLOAD:
http://ejie.me/

Nimbi (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280551-Nimbi) brought a possible issue with clover and ipack icon packs, so to be safe when installing a ipack uninstall clover and then install the ipack. please remember if you already have an ipack installed uninstall clover, uninstall the ipack, then install the new ipack followed by clover.

June 10th, 2016, 03:49 PM
figured out the issue i was having with this. will work on builds before 10240 and build 10586 but not on build 10240. odd but good news for those like myself like clover.

Nimbi
September 11th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Does this work on Windows 10 RS1?

---EDIT---

nevermind. It works. However, it doesn't take on third party system themes, and I didn't realise that the installer hadn't been translated either. Took a few tries to get it to uninstall since I can't read Chinese, lol.

September 11th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Does this work on Windows 10 RS1?

---EDIT---

nevermind. It works. However, it doesn't take on third party system themes, and I didn't realise that the installer hadn't been translated either. Took a few tries to get it to uninstall since I can't read Chinese, lol.

lol YES it works PERFECTLY with 10586 or newer. i had a issue with it on 10240. your timing is funny cause i just came in to add this to my last show you win 10 desktop post because i forgot to list it. don't know why you needed to uninstall it since what it takes away from any theme is pretty minimal. now you might still have the bookmark bar on. i turn that off. install clover, click the wrench next to the first tap, go down to bookmarks, uncheck show bookmarks bar. check out my last video in the show your 10 desk thread. see if you can live with that look.

September 11th, 2016, 03:43 PM
first post updated with a new version. enjoy. thanks Nimbi (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280551-Nimbi) for pushing me to check his site, otherwise i wouldn't of known he'd finally done an update.

dhjohns
September 11th, 2016, 06:30 PM
This does work well. I installed in RS2. The only thing I do not like about it is the additional clover icon it shows on the taskbar when I open File Explorer. This is relatively minor though.

September 11th, 2016, 07:09 PM
This does work well. I installed in RS2. The only thing I do not like about it is the additional clover icon it shows on the taskbar when I open File Explorer. This is relatively minor though.

supposedly with this version you can create your own custom icon. checkout clovers page and go through the blogs. the only thing i don't like about the new version is i now have to use ctrl + n to open a secondary explorer window instead of just grabbing one of the tabs and dragging it away from the original tabbed explorer window. already put in a request to fix this and a request to make the tabs themeable. i asked him to come here and take a look around at the various themes.

dhjohns
September 11th, 2016, 08:18 PM
supposedly with this version you can create your own custom icon. checkout clovers page and go through the blogs. the only thing i don't like about the new version is i now have to use ctrl + n to open a secondary explorer window instead of just grabbing one of the tabs and dragging it away from the original tabbed explorer window. already put in a request to fix this and a request to make the tabs themeable. i asked him to come here and take a look around at the various themes.I actually went to shell32.dll in change icon, and changed it to a blank icon. Yea, I also wish I could just drag a new tab out to a new explorer window.

September 11th, 2016, 08:25 PM
I actually went to shell32.dll in change icon, and changed it to a blank icon. Yea, I also wish I could just drag a new tab out to a new explorer window.

at least for now we can hit ctrl + n to get a new window. better than nothing.

Nimbi
September 11th, 2016, 09:14 PM
lol YES it works PERFECTLY with 10586 or newer. i had a issue with it on 10240. your timing is funny cause i just came in to add this to my last show you win 10 desktop post because i forgot to list it. don't know why you needed to uninstall it since what it takes away from any theme is pretty minimal. now you might still have the bookmark bar on. i turn that off. install clover, click the wrench next to the first tap, go down to bookmarks, uncheck show bookmarks bar. check out my last video in the show your 10 desk thread. see if you can live with that look.

Yeah, i was basically testing how well iit goes with the themes I have downloaded. It is definitely cool, I will admit that. However the white tab color clashes with the themes I have installed. All-in-all, it's definitely a cool program. That's even the exact version I tested as well, lol. Also using Program and Features to uninstall it also opens Clover's own installer thing t uninstall it. That was basically how I uninstalled it. So, it's still going to be in Chinese either way.

Nimbi
September 11th, 2016, 11:21 PM
oh shiz! came across an issue I should point out. If you have a custom iPack installed when you install Clover, you have to uninstall clover before you uninstall the custom iPack or the iPack won't uninstall properly. I just had to use a restore point to fix that issue, lol. Still, a cool program. I just wish it didn't mess with the ability to uninstall custom iPacks =/

September 12th, 2016, 12:01 AM
oh shiz! came across an issue I should point out. If you have a custom iPack installed when you install Clover, you have to uninstall clover before you uninstall the custom iPack or the iPack won't uninstall properly. I just had to use a restore point to fix that issue, lol. Still, a cool program. I just wish it didn't mess with the ability to uninstall custom iPacks =/
Nimbi (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280551-Nimbi) if you're absolutely sure would you please go to his blogs and let him know? as i stated above i already let him know we can no longer just drag one of the tabs to create a new explorer window. i'll add your info to the main post so others will know.

EDIT:
what i think you're running into is explorer won't close as needed with clover. i normally launch the ipack installer/uninstaller, close explorer which closes clover, then i uninstall or install the ipack. i started this habit from 7tsp before i was ever using clover and after only using ipacks never stopped the practice.

Nimbi
September 12th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Nimbi (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280551-Nimbi) if you're absolutely sure would you please go to his blogs and let him know? as i stated above i already let him know we can no longer just drag one of the tabs to create a new explorer window. i'll add your info to the main post so others will know.

EDIT:
what i think you're running into is explorer won't close as needed with clover. i normally launch the ipack installer/uninstaller, close explorer which closes clover, then i uninstall or install the ipack. i started this habit from 7tsp before i was ever using clover and after only using ipacks never stopped the practice.

I'm not sure if it is, but I honestly never thought of that before. I'll look into it. If the issue persists then I'll post a message on his blog about it.