PDA

View Full Version : Please help - computer problems after installing themes

weyoun
October 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hi there folks,

Please feel free to tell me to seek help elsewhere, i just thought this might have happened to someone here before.
I just signed up to buy the theme "HUD Apocalypse" and installed it, and it worked perfectly. However the curious idiot in me decided to try out some other themes. So I installed a 3rd party "patcher" and theme installer. Long story short, my windows user account profile has disappeared. Well, bits of it.
Even after a system restore, my personal files from my desktop and in my Downloads folder are missing as well as a few user-specific files from programs (bookmarks etc.). I don't know what to do! I can still log in using the account name and password but my settings basically no longer exist.
I would greatly appreciate any advice, I'm getting desperate :(.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Thank you

Big V
October 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
It would be helpful if you could tell us a little more about what all you installed and did you install a 7 tsp icon pack they are known to cause issue from time to time

October 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM
It would be helpful if you could tell us a little more about what all you installed and did you install a 7 tsp icon pack they are known to cause issue from time to time

i'm with Big V (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/155318-Big-V) on this one. i know there is a bogus universal theme patcher floating around out there, cause i ended up with a copy. the saving grace for me was that i've use the real one so many time i knew the gui was wrong, and it was trying to go online. how i ended up with it i do not know. make sure your copy of universal theme patcher is from here, alone with your copy of resource hacker, and theme resource changer. also remember with universal theme patcher run the 32 bit file for 32 bit windows, and both the 32 and 64 bit files for 64 bit windows.

weyoun
October 6th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Thanks for responding guys.

I can't remember exactly what I installed, but they weren't from here. I downloaded them before I knew they were available here.
One was Theme Installer, Theme Manager, Universal Patcher, the silent universal patcher and another patcher. I didn't install any icon packs.

I've did a bit of research but haven't encountered anyone with my exact issue. My user account works, but most files and settings seemed to have been deleted. I have no idea how this happened.

I performed a virus scan using Spybot and Malware bytes, but nothing came up.
:(

deviantdon
October 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
im not to sure on this but could it have to do with the fact that she installed the theme befor she installed the patcher and manager ?i have always installed those first before trying to use a 3rd party theme..just a thought. other than that try uninstalling the theme and see what happens?

then again im not sure i understand how you got the full theme to work anyways by applying the patch and manger after the fact????

October 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM
im not to sure on this but could it have to do with the fact that she installed the theme befor she installed the patcher and manager ?i have always installed those first before trying to use a 3rd party theme..just a thought. other than that try uninstalling the theme and see what happens?

then again im not sure i understand how you got the full theme to work anyways by applying the patch and manger after the fact????

deviantdon (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/216461-deviantdon), depending on the theme and how it is written you can forget to do the patches before installing the theme and have the theme install but not work properly, but once you do the patches the theme will work correctly. i just made that misstake in the other win 7 that i'm slowly building up.

weyoun
October 6th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hi DeviantDon, I wonder if you could address me directly rather than referring to me in the 3rd person.

I don't know what happened, but I managed to retrieve my files, by right clicking on the user account and selecting Restore Previous Version. I probably should have thought of that before.

Apologise for not being clear earlier, I don't think this had anything to do with the themes from here. I believe one of the 3rd party installers must have replaced or recreated my user account somehow. I got the universal patcher from here. The installers though were from elsewhere. However, the theme I purchased from here worked perfectly, without a glitch. it's only when I messed around with other things that it all went wrong.
I'm going to delete the accounts and start again. I'm just relieved I have my files.

I thank you for your responses :)