PDA

View Full Version : Sound will not restore

22Parker
December 16th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Recently I bought a solid state drive for my computer, on my previous hard drive I had the Blade theme from Mr. Grimm. I had issues with sound on installing it before but upon repeating the installation more than once I could get it to work. Now after installing the blade theme pack for my solid state I cannot get the sound to work. Worse yet, no amount of 7tsp restores or even system restores will fix my missing sound. I've even re-installed my Realtek sound driver from my motherboard disc. Upon finding that old tricks did not work I repeated this step straight from Mr. Grimms blade page;

"If you install the 7tsp theme extras and find you have lost your sound or if you are using a Creative Sound Card you will need to use Restore on 7tsp and then remove the pack from 7tsp, then open the 7-zip archive and in the resource folder you will see shell32.dll.res, you need to delete that file and then repack the theme pack using 7-Zip again, then load it into 7tsp again and reinstall it.

For some reason Creative sound cards do not like any changes to the shell32.dll and there is no way to get around that, the only thing that you will miss out on will be a few icons and the copy delete animation mod, nothing major and you will still have a great experience without them."

However, since the only thing in my computer that was changed was my SSD I doubt the sound card is the issue. Nonetheless I repeated this process multiple times and was unsuccessful at restoring sound to my computer. My next step was to try sfc /scannow in my cmd prompt. This also did not fix my sound. I've run out of options and ideas to fixing my sound. It came to the point that I thought something different was wrong, for example my speakers. My speakers were checked and work properly. I even watched my computers sound levels move, indicating that sound is playing I am just not hearing it. What could this be? Any suggestions?

razorsedge
December 16th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Hi bud :)

From the sounds of all you have done you have basically pretty well done every step u can take to solve your issue here.

7TSP packs as easy as they are to install is really a crap shoot when using them as in some ppl will get errors some people will not some people will have issues with this and that dll in the pack and some ppl do not it's very touch and go when it comes to the issues people face with 7tsp. You have done a scf scan now, restored with 7Tsp and still have not been able to solve the issue. I do remember myself at one time testing a 7tsp pack for someone and ended up losing my sound as well I went through every step you did and more I tried everything to restore the sound and nothing worked I ended up having to reformat and that was the last time I used a 7tsp pack on my machine.

I have a backup I test the packs I make on but on my main computer I will only install icons manually as I never encounter errors doing it that way. The best I could even think to suggest is to reformat your computer cause nothing your doing has been able to resolve the issues for you. Once reformatted install the theme you want I assume blade is the one your using but not the 7tsp pack. For the icons extract the 7tsp pack so you can see the res files inside and open them up in restorator all the dlls they refer too go to your system 32 folder take ownership of all the ones in the pack you see in the system 32 folder. once you have taken owner ship of them copy them to a new folder on your desktop or my documents or wherever u most prefer and open up another restorator window put them side by side on your main screen click on the res files to expand them and then click on the dlls to expand them then drag and drop the icons folders from the res files into the dlls icons folder it will replace all the icons in the dlls that way that are in the packs and save your dlls.

Go back to the system 32 folder and al the dls you edited and copied to your new folder rename the same dlls that are in the system32 folder to .old at the end of the dll so it would be like explorer.exe.old once having done that cut and paste all the edited dlls you just made into the system32 folder then reboot your computer. upon reboot clean the icons cache reboot once more and all your icons will be changed this manual method will take you maybe 15 or 20 mins to do is much safer and you won't run into any problems.

I have tutorials posted here if you need more of an explaination with the take owner ship stuff you need or clearing icons cache

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/37745-Edit-Dll-images-apply-icons-theme-extras-video-tutorial

That's the best advice that I can offer you as I said the 7tsp packs are basically hit or miss when it comes to using them :)

December 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM
sounds like you lost all sound, not just the sound pack sounds. one more thing you can try and i know it works for at creative sound cards is to go into device manager and remove you sound card, restart windows, let the os rediscover it and you should be good to go. if not i don't know.