PDA

View Full Version : Themes and a Crosshair V

DaemonCantor
December 21st, 2012, 04:33 PM
I'm having trouble with running Themes in general on my Crosshair V. I've tried several different Themes including ones from here and results are always the same, a messed up system that I have to return to a System Restore Point to fix. The last attempt was Mr. Grims ZeroG which I have running on a Different computer with no problems at all, Here's the Specs on that one:

Motherboard: Asus...Dell Custom From and Inspiron 531S
Athlon 64 x2 3.2ghz
2 gigs DDR2 800
nVidia 8400GS+
Seagate SATA II 250gig
Generic LG DVD Burner
HP 2159m 21inch Monitor on DVI Connection
Logitech KB and Mouse.
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Speakers
Reboxed in a Custom Case that I had laying around because the Video Card and Heatsink wouldn't fit in the Dell Case.
As you can see it's all pretty generic but I was surprised as to how nicely it does work even though I hate Dell with a Passion.

The only main difference I can figure is the Crosshair has an ATI HD 5870 Reference Card.
Both machines are running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 Fully Updated. and no I'm not worried about the Creative Software on the CHV because I haven't installed it yet after a complete OS reinstall 2 weeks ago. Yes I'm having the same trouble after the reinstall.

I've tried to use both Theme Patcher and UXStyleCore with the same results but the ReBoxed Dell is running UXStyleCore with no troubles.

Any Suggestions would be helpful and thank you ahead of time.

Big V
December 21st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Bud can you post some screens of what it actually doing.
And my best guess would be the use of UXStylecore that why we don't recommend using it any longer since sp1 because it is know to be buggie.
I know you said you have tried universal patcher... did you check to make sure you had the correct version for your OS X64 or X86
After rebooting from the patching process did you try rerunning the patch to verify the files where actually patched. The patch script will show wheather or not the .dll are patched correctly
Have you checked to see if your dpi is set to 100%
Also check your folder options to see if it you have launch folder windows in seperate process unchecked as that will cause issues
I cannot see where it would be a motherboard issue as we have numerous members using Asus & CrosshairV boards with no issues.

DaemonCantor
December 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM
Thank You Big V, Just as soon as I get done with my current Project in VS2010 I'll start on the Theme Patch part again but here is what I have on the other items:

I have never changed this setting because I thought it was a useless property except when trouble shooting.

I have never bothered with this setting simply because well you know if it looks good why mess with it.

Thank you once again. I was begining to think it could be something with Catalyst similar to the Creative problem where the system files couldn't be changed or I was being a Schmuck and doing something wrong again...

Big V
December 21st, 2012, 08:21 PM
As far as I know their has never been an issue reported with catalyst causing any problems bud, so that is very doubtful that would be an issue.
You may be one of the odd balls that requires you to have both the 86 patch and 64 patch installed for your system.

DaemonCantor
December 22nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
I'm still at a loss, I tried the x64 version and the system came back up normally but when I tried to run it again to see if it patched it BSODed on me so I went in to safe Mode and did a System Restore then I tried the x86 and it refused stating Wrong Version. Well anyway thanks for the help but it looks like I just have one of those strange systems that doesn't like being messed with.

BTW here is a snap of my System CPL so that you can see that it is a x64 OS.

razorsedge
December 23rd, 2012, 12:10 AM
I'm still at a loss, I tried the x64 version and the system came back up normally but when I tried to run it again to see if it patched it BSODed on me so I went in to safe Mode and did a System Restore then I tried the x86 and it refused stating Wrong Version. Well anyway thanks for the help but it looks like I just have one of those strange systems that doesn't like being messed with.

BTW here is a snap of my System CPL so that you can see that it is a x64 OS.

The likely cause is when your trying to apply the theme it's not going cause your system has not been patched to use them thats exactly the reason I get from reading your posts here I would first suggest using universal theme patcher as a silent install like I have it here in this post below the video: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/37747-How-to-patch-windows-7-to-allow-3rd-party-themes-and-apply-themes-video-tutorial

with this being a silent installer it will do both x86 and x64 systems and you dont have to do a thing just right click it run as admin and wait a min u have to clicking nothing else or do anything else it will auto patch everything for you with no fuss or muss. You wont see anything happen as well thats why I say just wait a min or so let it do it's job then reboot your system.

Next download theme resource changer from under that same video and apply that application again right click run as admin this one u will have to click through it and install I also suggest after its done to reboot your system. After that try and apply any of the themes that are not installed by using an installer one of the manual theme applies where u just copy the files to C/:windows/resources/themes ( the video above those links for the apps I asked you to download shows you how to apply themes without installers if you need any help there) then apply the theme and I am sure you will have no issues with it applying :)

DaemonCantor
December 25th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Ok the Universal Theme patcher worked nicely this time and I haven't had any issues so far but the Theme Resouce Changer gave me Nightmares, I don't know what happened there but the System Hung on Install and I had to do a Hard Reset...Literally had to pull the Main Power Connectors off the Mobo before it would restart and then had to do a System Restore to get it to reboot. I did a sfc/scannow in Safe mode to be safe once done I re-installed your Universal Theme Patcher again with only 1 Problem this time it had a Pop-up that stated that a Resouce couldn't be patch because of Security Settings but when I wen't back into the System the two files that you stated would be patch and the Originals be named .backup were there correctly and since then I still haven't had an issue but I also haven't tried a Theme yet ether.

Before I forget, Have a Happy Christmas! and thank you for the help:happy:

DaemonCantor
August 26th, 2013, 04:40 AM
I know this is late by a few months but I did find out what was going on and it wasn't the Theme patchers or the theme but instead it was my CPU which fried the Memory Controller. Since then I've replaced it with a Phenom II x4 965 and the themes are working finally except my Steam Games? it's strange but if I apply a Theme and turn on the MoBo sound any game I have thru steam crashes on startup. I can Task Manger out of them with little to no difficulty but I have to ether use the ROG Thunderbolt Addin's audio to play or I have to go back to Windows Default Aero Theme and re-install the Thunderbolt Audio Drivers because it's a Settings .dll that gets borked from the theme. I'm using UX Core Styler and have 2 themes installed, Mr Grims ZeroG and gor17981's Nameless Red.

I have been hesitent in using Universal Theme patcher because the On-Board audio is Creative Labs XFi and I do want it to funtion. Also I don't have a problem with the audio in Media Player, iTunes, or system sounds, only with the games in steam.