PDA

View Full Version : Help .msstyles open in winlogon.exe

Jaysp656
January 18th, 2013, 12:51 AM
I was trying to add the Blade theme taskbar to Equinox. I made a copy of Equinox.msstyle and replaced the relevant resources with Resource Hacker. When I tried to rename Equinox.msstyle to Equinox Original.msstyle it says it can't because it is open in winlogon.exe. I tried to use Unlocker to rename it, which was supposed to do it after a reboot. My Win8 wouldn't come back on. I eventually had to do a system restore to fix it. Is this something to do with Win8? Cause I never had this issue this bad with my old win7 laptop.

Panda X
January 27th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I was trying to add the Blade theme taskbar to Equinox. I made a copy of Equinox.msstyle and replaced the relevant resources with Resource Hacker. When I tried to rename Equinox.msstyle to Equinox Original.msstyle it says it can't because it is open in winlogon.exe. I tried to use Unlocker to rename it, which was supposed to do it after a reboot. My Win8 wouldn't come back on. I eventually had to do a system restore to fix it. Is this something to do with Win8? Cause I never had this issue this bad with my old win7 laptop.

It's a bug in Windows 8. Any theme that has been applied will be locked by winlogon until you reboot (unless it's the current applied theme it'll just be locked again). I think if you log out it'll also unlock the file, but I haven't fully tested it.

Jaysp656
January 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Weird, though I did change to another theme when I used Unlocker on it but that did not seem to work. I noticed a while back that it was able to be renamed again so I guess your right about it being Win8.

Panda X
January 28th, 2013, 03:03 AM
For me unlocker just gave an error saying it wasn't locked. It's an odd bug that really gets in the way. Though I have confirmed simply logging off is all that's needed rather than rebooting.

Jaysp656
January 28th, 2013, 03:40 AM
For me unlocker just gave an error saying it wasn't locked. It's an odd bug that really gets in the way. Though I have confirmed simply logging off is all that's needed rather than rebooting.

Like I said in the first post, my OS couldn't boot after I used Unlocker to rename the file. Though maybe I'm mistaken when I said I had changed the theme before the reboot.