PDA

View Full Version : Decoding Win8 binary encoded xml for UI dlls

r0k
January 28th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Hi there. I'm sure there are very few places where this question might find an answer, but this is probably one of them.
Does anyone know what encoding MS used for their UI dlls and how to decode them?
In preview releases of Win8, some UI elements like the Charms Bar were controlled by plain text xml files stored in various dlls. However, now they are no longer readable, probably binary encoded for faster processing and to stop low level hackers from messing with them:sigh:

Here is an example, this was in authUI-dll and is the last plain text xml in this dll

<duixml>
<ShutdownUI
resid="main"
id="atom(ShutdownMain)"
layout="filllayout()"
sheet="ShutdownUIStyle"
>
<ChoiceMenu
id="atom(ShutdownChoices)"
layout="borderlayout()"
active="mouse|keyboard|pointer"
>
<ItemList
id="atom(ChoiceList)"
layout="verticalflowlayout(0,3,3,0)"
active="mouse|pointer"
behaviors="DUI70::ScrubBehavior()"
/>
</ChoiceMenu>
+++++ SNIP ++++++
Most data however, opens as binary junk in a text editor, and is not much better in an hex editor (even thought you can still see some of the text in an hex editor). This is one of the UI ressources from Windows-UI-Immersive-dll opened in HxD. Notice the duib header where text ressources had duixml

duib....$...`.......................<...7......€€..€.€...€.€.€.."€...€...€...€..........A....€...€.€.€...€..
..€.€...€?€P..€.€.€.€...€&€.€...€?€.....€.€.€...€...€...€...€.......€.....€q..€.€...€.€.€*€.€...€?€.€&€.€.....€`..
€.€...€.€.€...€...€'€.€..!..€.€...€ .!.!..€"..€#.!..€.€$..€ .!.!..€%..€#.!..€.€&..€ .!.!..€'..€#.!..€.€(..€
.!.!..€)..€#.!..€.€*..€ .!.!..€+..€#....€.......€...€ ..€.€...€,....€.€..A.-..€...€/.!€0..€1....€.€2...-..€3
....€...€...€.€..!....€4.%€5....€...€.€..!..€$€6.#€7....€...€.€.....€#€8....€!.!.9...:..€....%€5....€.€
....€#€;....€...€.€.....€#€<....€...€.€.....€.€=....€...€...€...€0...>...............t...Œ...¦...¾...Ò...ü
.......(...n...„...¢...Ê...Ü...ú...............>...V...l...v...–...¤...Ì...ð...........&...F...v...˜...°...Ì.......
B...^...Ž...ª...Ú...ö...&...B...º...Ö...â...î...".......H...t...Ô...Þ...ê.......H...Z...r...¢...Î...m.a.i.n...
p.a.n.e...r.e.s.s.t.r.(.8.7.1.7.,. .l.i.b.r.a.r.y.(.W.i.n.d.o.w.s...U.I...I.m.m.e.r.s.i.v.e...d.l.l.).)
...A.t.o.m.(.P.o.p.u.p.)...f.i.l.l.l.a.y.o.u.t.(.)...D.i.a.l.o.g.S.t.y.l.e...b.e.h.a.v.i.o.r.s...P.V.L.:
.:.A.n.i.m.a.t.i.o.n.T.r.a.p.(.)...D.i.a.l.o.g.R.o.o.t...B.a.c.k.B.u.t.t.o.n...m.o.u.s.e.|.p.o.i.n.t.e.r.|
.k.e.y.b.o.a.r.d.|.n.o.s.y.n.c.f.o.c.u.s...p.u.s.h.b.u.t.t.o.n...A.t.o.m.(.U.p.B.u.t.t.o.n.)...A.t.o.m.(.D.i.
Now, i guess if we can find the right encoding, it would be possible to decode those ressources, mess with them like it was possible in preview releases, then re-encode them and maybe this wouldn't break Windows :cunning: (i plan to mess with those files in VMs anyway).
However, i tried decoding those files as Fast Infoset and EXI formats, but that didn't work.

So, does someone knows how to decode those files? There are probably many more encodings to try, but i'm far from knowing them all. Unfortunately, I consider myself one of those "low level hackers" i mentioned above.

BTW : sorry for the "-" instead of "." in the dll names, but the forum engine thinks i'm trying to post links and refuses my posts if i leave a dot.

8pecxstudios
January 29th, 2013, 05:02 AM
hi mate

to De-compile the binary files without it just looking like random code of most of the code missing.

see when you de-compile then the de-compiler does its best to interpret the code but unless the compiler and the person making the binary file does not strip the header files and source code from the binary's you wont be able to successfully De-compile the files.

you can only partially do it and high chances of corrupt files and code as a result.

tho there are good apps out there that can do a really good job it then comes down to the skill level of the coder trying to modify the files.

r0k
January 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM
you can only partially do it and high chances of corrupt files and code as a result.

Oh, even with lots of cofee?:Smile:

Well, i've never tried to decode binary xml before, from what i read i thought they were closer to xml than compiled code, and thus could be decoded unlike the later. Well, another hope of customization vanishes
:unhappy:

tho there are good apps out there that can do a really good job it then comes down to the skill level of the coder trying to modify the files.
You wouldn't know of any sush application that can manage windows UI files would you?

Thanks for the answer anyway.

Mr GRiM
January 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I have seen this a fair bit as well and I have been using the plain text UI files from the RP and adding them in the RTM dll's with no problems, I did try to decode them at first with no luck but found using the PR ones much easier.

If you look at some of the system files I included with the Equinox Beta you will find allot of the encoded UI files are replaced with the plain text ones, have a look at the explorerframe.dll and shell32.dll for example.