PDA

View Full Version : HUD Icons and Extras Complete Installer BETA

Mr GRiM
February 15th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Warning!! For Windows 8 RTM only, not 8.1 or newer!!!

Hi VC crew, I have some good news for all you guys who made the jump to Windows 8, after much headaches and stress trying to find an easy way to install Icon packs on Windows 8 I finally decided to make my own installer with some help from our awesome Moderator/Developer ToadyShadow, big thanks to you mate, could not of done it without you.

I have tested the installer a fair amount now but I would still consider it to be a BETA so I would advise only using it on a VM (Virtual Machine) unless you are very familiar with customizing and changing system files.

One of the best things about this installer is that it does not replace any system files, it will only patch your existing files, so if you already have a modified system file or you have disabled the ribbon in explorer those modifications will not be altered.

Things to do first before using this Installer,

MAKE SURE YOU CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE
MAKE SURE YOU YOU RUN THE INSTALLER AS ADMINISTRATOR
MAKE SURE YOU YOU DISABLE UAC

OK once you have done that and started the installer you will have the standard agreement that will waver any blame on me if you screw your system, then on the next screen you will have a list of components that you can install, one of those being the shell32.dll that I have made separate because of the problems it causes with sound cards and it also just does a few funny things in general if it's modified in any way.

Saying that though, it's one of the best parts of this Icon pack so go ahead and install it anyway :happy:

OK so once you have made your selection go ahead and start the installer, when the installer starts it will start making copies of the necessary files and then it will stop software protection and close explorer, at this time your screen will go blank aside from the installer in the middle of the screen, the progress bar will be at the end and you may get worried and think that it has got stuck, don't worry though as the installer has pretty much done it's job now and is now just starting some batch scripts to initialize the the file patching and replacement and backup of the original file.

The files are going to take 1-2 minutes to patch, after all the files are patched you will see a small window pop up to advise you "Restart Computer to Complete Changes" but this will not initiate shutdown, just click OK to close the notification window.

After you close that window the installer will restart Software protection and will clear the icon and thumbnail cache and also make a one time batch file to run on reboot to clear the cache one more time.

You will then be taken to the last screen of the installer and you have a few post install options to choose from, these options include Restoring all of the system files (in case you changed your mind) using sfc /scannow, there is also an option to restore a single system file from the pack (in case you find that things are just going right), then you have the option to exit the installer and go back to the desktop or the last option is to reboot now.

So anyway that will give you a means to revert any changes made by the installer especially if half way through you start to see error messages pop up, you can also run the post install options by running the installer again and leaving all the check boxes unchecked and going through to the end of the installer.

So anyway there you have it, if you have any suggestions or think of any other useful options then please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Enjoy :smile:

Update 16-02-2013:

I have updated the installer v2 and added a new option to have the details pane on top in explorer as I know this is something allot of Windows 7 users have enjoyed, I made this even better then Winows 7 though by changing the resize bar to the bottom of the details pane so now you can grab it at the bottom and pull it down, if you want to try it out load the installer and select custom install and select just the shell32.dll topshell option and install, you can go back to the bottom shell (details pane) by running the installer again and selecting the bottom shell option.

zadar023
February 15th, 2013, 03:04 PM
:daman:GRIM excellent work....btw I am waiting HUD green for windows 7...where is it?:worried:

Virtu
February 15th, 2013, 05:39 PM
OK, here's my 2 cents.

Disabled NOD32 - but, forgot to disable COMODO. Used your installer with all components duly selected (as in default.) The installation started with a HIPS prompt from COMODO - allowed full permissions. The installation, was then proceeding well but just when the progress bar was nearly coming towards the very end, the installation stayed put for quite some time - was not worried though, as I had just created a system-wide Acronis backup image. Also realized that the background was completely off-color, as though Explorer had stopped working.

When the installation completed, it asked for a reboot - I opted to reboot but the following prompt popped up which IMHO could confuse n00bs:- :Fright:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ry3x2p.jpg

Post boot, the one program that failed to load was my Nexus Desktop Dock - managed to start it manually, though. The final outcome is stupendous - I'm amazed that somebody succeeded in creating an installer that changes so many files right under the nose of Windows 8 and manages to get away unscathed (simply amazing.) :superman:

I hope you can do a similar red icon job, too. :greedy:

8pecxstudios
February 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Wow Totally Amazing Mark Im Glad I Was Able To Help You Out On This Great Work Mate :tu: :no1:

mauam
February 16th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Once again a awesome work, you're:no1:. Thanks a lot Mark.

Mr GRiM
February 16th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Thanks guys I have just added a bit more info on the first post to explain the blank screen and wait period near the end of the installer, this is totally normal and predicted behavior, as well as an explanation about the reboot prompt.

Also wanted to say a Big thank you to Toady for his help on this project, without his knowledge and him showing me the right tools for the job I would not have been able to do this installer, so Thanks Heaps mate, your a legend.

And of course this is just the first pack of many to come, now I have a method I feel is safe enough for the general members to have a go at without causing irreparable damage.

8pecxstudios
February 16th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys I have just added a bit more info on the first post to explain the blank screen and wait period near the end of the installer, this is totally normal and predicted behavior, as well as an explanation about the reboot prompt.

Also wanted to say a Big thank you to Toady for his help on this project, without his knowledge and him showing me the right tools for the job I would not have been able to do this installer, so Thanks Heaps mate, your a legend.

And of course this is just the first pack of many to come, now I have a method I feel is safe enough for the general members to have a go at without causing irreparable damage.

lol thanks mate but i didnt do much lol all i did was put wood on the ground added some petrol then started the fire lol then you burned out these amazing patchers lol so its all you baby lmao

HammerJack
February 16th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Now this is some great news.. :shocked::happy:
Congrats guys on the pioneer work with the new installer and all the groundwork your laying out for future projects as well.
Now, when can we expect some GREEN installers, hehehe...........:laughing:

Mr GRiM
February 16th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys, just added a new option in the installer to have topshell details pane, more info in the first post :smile:

Virtu
February 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM
w00ts!!!
You've now set Windows 8 - on fire . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . simply awesome!!! :happy:

Dark Knight
February 16th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Mr. Grim ....... you - are - the - man!

Now I have a big choice to make since I have now gone back to Windows 7 , My Windows 8 Pro disk is now sitting on my desk mocking me :cheeky:

Jaysp656
February 16th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys, just added a new option in the installer to have topshell details pane, more info in the first post :smile:

This new option makes the details pane be at the top instead of the bottom, right?. And the details pane is what pops up when you do something like select an audio file so that you can edit some of the tags. I remember this from my last computer, but my Win 8 doesn't seem to have that. (as far as I've noticed)
Just wondering if I understand what it is correctly.

Edit: It might be that it is just disabled (I used the ribbon disabler. The ribbon has the option to enable/disable the details pane)

Big V
February 16th, 2013, 05:25 PM
This new option makes the details pane be at the top instead of the bottom, right?. And the details pane is what pops up when you do something like select an audio file so that you can edit some of the tags. I remember this from my last computer, but my Win 8 doesn't seem to have that. (as far as I've noticed)
Just wondering if I understand what it is correctly.

Edit: It might be that it is just disabled (I used the ribbon disabler. The ribbon has the option to enable/disable the details pane)

I'm not 100% on windows 8 as I don't use the crap OS but in windows 7 the detail pane is the panel that display the file info on explorer frame.
This option is normally called topshell or bottomshell depending on if you want it displayed at the top or bottom of the frame.
Hope that explains it for you.

Jaysp656
February 16th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I'm not 100% on windows 8 as I don't use the crap OS but in windows 7 the detail pane is the panel that display the file info on explorer frame.
This option is normally called topshell or bottomshell depending on if you want it displayed at the top or bottom of the frame.
Hope that explains it for you.

I see, yeah I don't have that

Mr GRiM
February 16th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I see, yeah I don't have that

You do have a details pane but by default on Windows 8 it is on the right and you can only select either the details pane or the reading pane, both of which are useless by default as they make bad use of space and can not be resized very well, I have reintroduced code back from Windows 7 to bring it back to its usefull location, but this code is contained in the shell32.dll so sadly not everyone will be able to use it.

devvv128
February 17th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Nice work... Big thanks Bro

Jaysp656
February 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM
You do have a details pane but by default on Windows 8 it is on the right and you can only select either the details pane or the reading pane, both of which are useless by default as they make bad use of space and can not be resized very well, I have reintroduced code back from Windows 7 to bring it back to its usefull location, but this code is contained in the shell32.dll so sadly not everyone will be able to use it.

Is this shell32.dll whats in you new installer?

IcicleThief69
February 19th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks MrGrims for these they work great on my girlfriends son's laptop.

Jaysp656
February 20th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Okay I figured out why the shell32.dll wasn't installed right, I think. It had something to do with either the Equinox Skin Pack or some change in the updated installer. It works perfectly now. (also figured out where the detail's pane went to as well)

(when I tried to uninstall the equinox skin pack {not this awesome installer}, my computer wouldn't come on again until I used system restore. The screen kept flickering but it wouldn't come on. I know it has something to do with Win8 security but I don't know what I'd do if I had no restore points.)

Please port more themes to Win8! Or tell me if it is easy to do so and how to do it!:greedy:(I think I should add this to my sig)

Virtu
February 21st, 2013, 06:12 AM
Okay I figured out why the shell32.dll wasn't installed right, I think. It had something to do with either the Equinox Skin Pack or some change in the updated installer. It works perfectly now. (also figured out where the detail's pane went to as well)

(when I tried to uninstall the equinox skin pack {not this awesome installer}, my computer wouldn't come on again until I used system restore. The screen kept flickering but it wouldn't come on. I know it has something to do with Win8 security but I don't know what I'd do if I had no restore points.)

Please port more themes to Win8! Or tell me if it is easy to do so and how to do it!:greedy:(I think I should add this to my sig)
There are more bugs in that Skin Pack (http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/49372-Equinox-Skin-Pack?p=255602&viewfull=1#post255602) than in the beds of a Bombay brothel. lol

I second that idea of porting more themes (with also another installer for the red Apocalypse icons.)

Mr GRiM
February 21st, 2013, 10:34 PM
Don't worry there will be more packs to come, just have to find the spare time to do them :smile:

Virtu
February 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Awesome!!!

Shall be ever ready to beta-test anything you can throw at us.

rachmat
February 26th, 2013, 05:06 AM
very awesome icon...good job :happy:

61383 (http://www.mekanikkomputer.com)

Boohbah
February 28th, 2013, 09:11 PM
looking forward to the red poison extras pack. i hate yellow folders.

im awaiting a delivery of a new lappy that will have win 8 pre installed, so i thought i would pop in to see if you had any new themes for 8, not dissapointed.
couple of questions ...
will there be an 8tsp and are you working on any metro style themes influenced with the mr grim style.
i was hoping you had some nice icon packs that had the metro but also the creativeness of the poison icons mixed.
will keep an eye out to see what you come up with next.
still enjoying your work mark ,

Virtu
March 1st, 2013, 02:49 PM
i was hoping you had some nice icon packs that had the metro but also the creativeness of the poison icons mixed.
Yep, I'm sure Mr GRiM will release a red icon pack to go with the Poison theme. :Smile:

Mr GRiM
March 2nd, 2013, 06:15 AM
Yeah there will be red for sure, just wanted to note to you guys using the pack that I did not restore any file permissions after the files were patched, what this means is that you all have full access to all of those system files and not just Trusted Installer who should be the owner of the files, this could leave your systems venerable to attacks so just be warned, the latest version I am working on will save all permissions and restores the original permissions at the end of the install, it will also create a system restore and can be installed without needing to be run as Administrator or turning off UAC.

sete
March 2nd, 2013, 06:36 AM
MARK thank you for the good work.:givahand:

chenzen666
March 3rd, 2013, 04:10 PM
Well i have just installed this great bit of work and all i can say is WOW thank you very much but it has left my system running explorer as adimn so on the metro side of things some of the button will not open ? is there anything i need to do to reslove this not that i use metro alot but the wife does...lol chenzen666

Mr GRiM
March 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Well i have just installed this great bit of work and all i can say is WOW thank you very much but it has left my system running explorer as adimn so on the metro side of things some of the button will not open ? is there anything i need to do to reslove this not that i use metro alot but the wife does...lol chenzen666
Can you give me an example so I can test it and see if it can be fixed?

chenzen666
March 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Unfortunately i have fixed it by going into msconfig and selecting normal startup mode as it ha dleft me in selective startup mode. also on first boot i did not have my taskbar hidden icons ( firewall,tomtom,keyscrambler,etc,tec) but on reboot with normal omde all was well. But the next reboot startup became selective again but all working ?????? i can do another reinstall from backup to try again if required only takes 17min so biggie,i do it all the time when testing things....lol

Mr GRiM
March 5th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Unfortunately i have fixed it by going into msconfig and selecting normal startup mode as it ha dleft me in selective startup mode. also on first boot i did not have my taskbar hidden icons ( firewall,tomtom,keyscrambler,etc,tec) but on reboot with normal omde all was well. But the next reboot startup became selective again but all working ?????? i can do another reinstall from backup to try again if required only takes 17min so biggie,i do it all the time when testing things....lol
Selective startup would normally just mean you have disabled a program from starting with windows, this can be done from msconfig or other programs like Ccleaner, so if you are using any programs like that or if you have disabled a program from starting with windows that would be normal behavior, the icons installer does not disable anything from starting, all it does is patch your system files to add the new resources so there should be no reason this would effect your msconfig setup.

Boohbah
March 7th, 2013, 09:16 PM
good to hear you are being busy. im surprised microsoft hasnt employed you yet. :cheeky:

Virtu
March 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Yeah there will be red for sure, just wanted to note to you guys using the pack that I did not restore any file permissions after the files were patched, what this means is that you all have full access to all of those system files and not just Trusted Installer who should be the owner of the files, this could leave your systems venerable to attacks so just be warned, the latest version I am working on will save all permissions and restores the original permissions at the end of the install, it will also create a system restore and can be installed without needing to be run as Administrator or turning off UAC.
Thanks for your honesty!!! :happy:
I do remember though that, one can restore the Trusted Installer as the sole owner - have personally done that with Windows 7 (shall try it on Windows 8 once I return from work and share the experience.) :whistle:

Virtu
March 11th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your honesty!!! :happy:
I do remember though that, one can restore the Trusted Installer as the sole owner - have personally done that with Windows 7 (shall try it on Windows 8 once I return from work and share the experience.) :whistle:
Yep, it can be done - the procedure is almost identical to Windows 7.

Mr GRiM
March 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Yep, it can be done - the procedure is almost identical to Windows 7.

Thanks, that's good to know.

IceBabee
March 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Great work.....Thank you!

Boohbah
March 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM
ive just tried out the installer to test the bottom shell as i missed the details at the bottom of my window,couldnt stand having it on the right of a window and have to toggle it on and off just to have more window space, its pretty stupid for laptops i think.
anyhow just to report it went fine and i dont appear to have any problems.
thanks again for your insight and expertise. :Smile:

SneakyLeroy
April 3rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Hey, Mr GRiM I am currently running windows on on a 64 bit computer (HP Envy m6) and I installed the equinox theme/icons and it worked perfectly but when I try it with HUD Evolution nothing happens do you have any ideas why this is? Also, when will you release the HUD Evolution theme by itself as I would love to use it but can't really do so at the moment cause the installer isn't working for me :( Love your work on Equinox & HUD Evolution!

Mr GRiM
April 3rd, 2013, 05:41 PM
Hey, Mr GRiM I am currently running windows on on a 64 bit computer (HP Envy m6) and I installed the equinox theme/icons and it worked perfectly but when I try it with HUD Evolution nothing happens do you have any ideas why this is? Also, when will you release the HUD Evolution theme by itself as I would love to use it but can't really do so at the moment cause the installer isn't working for me :( Love your work on Equinox & HUD Evolution!

There is no installer for HUD Evolution on Windows 8, well not that I have posted anyway, if you are trying the windows 7 theme then it wont work.

Jaysp656
April 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Is there an easy way to convert a Win7 theme to Win8 compatible? If only just the basic parts?

Mr GRiM
April 4th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Is there an easy way to convert a Win7 theme to Win8 compatible? If only just the basic parts?
Yes you can transfer almost everything over from a Windows 7 theme using the latest Beta of WSB, it just misses a few of the added properties if you have any.

Jaysp656
April 5th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Yes you can transfer almost everything over from a Windows 7 theme using the latest Beta of WSB, it just misses a few of the added properties if you have any.

What version number is the Beta? and where is it available?

Big V
April 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM
What version number is the Beta? and where is it available?

You would need to go to the wsb website and purchase it bud

Jaysp656
April 6th, 2013, 11:20 PM
T_T

Darn, I haz no of da monies, lol

All my money goes to gas for commuting to college :crying:

Oh well :sigh: maybe in a couple months or so

Virtu
April 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Just lost my Detail Pane to the latest Windows Updates - got it back within moments of running this handy icon installer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . awesome!!! :loving:

anxeL
April 12th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Thankyou, good tool. Also in red will be cool :silence:

audio
April 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM
morning Grim, first i'd like to say nice work, i've been a quiet follower for some time and have always enjoyed your dark/blueish designs. Just curious but does this installer workaround the secure boot issues? or are you still doing everything in legacy. I'm about to slap it on this uefi rig and give it a good testing... also I can't seem to view the hud evo posts, i'm curious as if you've set or released any kind of date for a beta or so? thanks

tacchan23
April 29th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Will it ever be possible to include a (black) themed taskbar image in this pack?
I wouldn't want to instal a full theme, I'm looking for a nice icon pack (such as this one, just installed it) along with just a nice black (shiny/glossy/gradient/whatever) taskbar.
Thanks!

Mr GRiM
May 3rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Will it ever be possible to include a (black) themed taskbar image in this pack?
I wouldn't want to instal a full theme, I'm looking for a nice icon pack (such as this one, just installed it) along with just a nice black (shiny/glossy/gradient/whatever) taskbar.
Thanks!

So you want it to look like Vista is what your asking?

tacchan23
May 3rd, 2013, 01:07 PM
So you want it to look like Vista is what your asking?

I never used Vista actually so I am not so sure^^
If Vista had nice black folders icons like the one in this thread and some kind of shiny/glossy black tasbar image then yes. (for example I like a lot the black bar which is the main aspect of the forum theme)

Also a separate mod to install just a black taskbar would be nice!

Thanks anyway ;)

Mr GRiM
May 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
I never used Vista actually so I am not so sure^^
If Vista had nice black folders icons like the one in this thread and some kind of shiny/glossy black tasbar image then yes. (for example I like a lot the black bar which is the main aspect of the forum theme)

Also a separate mod to install just a black taskbar would be nice!

Thanks anyway ;)

Vista had a nice Taskbar, the only thing it lacked was the ability to group/combine icons, I had Vista before 7 and I think it was a much nicer looking OS, sadly it got a bad name for itself because of all the XP hatters trying to use it on their outdated hardware.

http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%20vista/main/07082b61-bf9b-46c6-8de4-fb334ce96ee3_15.png

tacchan23
May 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Vista had a nice Taskbar, the only thing it lacked was the ability to group/combine icons, I had Vista before 7 and I think it was a much nicer looking OS, sadly it got a bad name for itself because of all the XP hatters trying to use it on their outdated hardware.

http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows vista/main/07082b61-bf9b-46c6-8de4-fb334ce96ee3_15.png

Yes, that is exactly the taskbar image I'd love to have!

Mr GRiM
May 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, that is exactly the taskbar image I'd love to have!

Hi mate not exactly what you wanted, I know you asked for just the taskbar but I decided to make a a whole new theme, I think you will like it though http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/58401-Vista8Mix-Theme-for-Windows-8?p=271450#post271450

Virtu
May 14th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Windows Updates (just released) messed up the Detail Pane and LHS of the Control Panel - thanks to the icon-installer, getting back the look was a cakewalk . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . again. :loving:

Mr GRiM
May 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Windows Updates (just released) messed up the Detail Pane and LHS of the Control Panel - thanks to the icon-installer, getting back the look was a cakewalk . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . again. :loving:

Thanks for the update mate, 220MB, that's a pretty big update, other files that were updated are wmploc.dll, wmplayer.exe, authui.dll and shell32.dll, you can use the new Installer from the HUD Evo installer I just released, this one has a couple of bugs that the new doesn't, plus it has better options to add the details pane again.

Virtu
May 18th, 2013, 03:12 PM
you can use the new Installer from the HUD Evo installer I just released, this one has a couple of bugs that the new doesn't, plus it has better options to add the details pane again.
Wow Mark, the Evo installer is mind-blowing - also made a couple of observations!!!

Firstly, as you rightly mention - the new installer fixed the boob bug (http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/47795-Equinox-Beta-1/page2?p=258474&viewfull=1#post258474), for me. :laughing:

Secondly, since I prefer your Windows 8 red Poison theme over the Evolution - while using the Evo installer on my Poison theme, I was apprehensive about the options. Hence, I decided to enable (tick) only the following ones:-

Windows 7 Style Details Pane (Bottom Default)
Windows 7 Style Folder Pane (Default Top)
Themable Control Panel Nav Panes (Supported Theme Required)
App Icons
Install Icons and Extras

hunteds911
June 28th, 2013, 03:56 AM
I wonder how this is going to work in Windows 8.1. I just loaded the release preview. Hope you will be able to make styles for this. lol Not brave enough to try this on 8.1 because of all the changes made to the OS / Possible .DLL changes.

Mr GRiM
June 29th, 2013, 03:31 AM
I wonder how this is going to work in Windows 8.1. I just loaded the release preview. Hope you will be able to make styles for this. lol Not brave enough to try this on 8.1 because of all the changes made to the OS / Possible .DLL changes.

Yeah I tried some of my old modifications on 8.1 and no good, I will not be releasing an update for it until they release the final version as it is likely to change again by then.

sete
June 29th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Very good job MARK.: Givahand:

Virtu
July 1st, 2013, 03:43 PM
Some really good news!!! :loving: (http://uxstyle.com/)

Mr GRiM
July 2nd, 2013, 06:31 AM
Some really good news!!! :loving: (http://uxstyle.com/)

That's good news, I donated $25 for it as well :smile:

Hellcat
July 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
:flirt: fantastic work Mark congrats and congrats ToadyShadow :happy:

chenzen666
September 6th, 2013, 11:10 PM
well tonite i tried the icon pack with win 8.1 and it did not work for me

about three files could not be found and when rebooted would not boot. Lucky for me i always do a backup of all my OS's and five minutes later im okay

poweredbyostx
September 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM
This is so cool,thank you so much :Smile:

devvv128
September 13th, 2013, 08:46 PM

But this app has bugs in updates! , In windows 8 after update and restart windows has an error like BSOD!

Mr GRiM
September 14th, 2013, 02:46 AM
But this app has bugs in updates! , In windows 8 after update and restart windows has an error like BSOD!
Wrong, only the Universal and Ultra theme patchers have that problem because they patch the system files, UxStyle runs as a service and has never been known to cause this problem, also there was an update from the creator of UxStyle and the 8.1 version is complete but he is having problems with MS trying to get it approved but will be releasing it shortly.

devvv128
September 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Wrong, only the Universal and Ultra theme patchers have that problem because they patch the system files, UxStyle runs as a service and has never been known to cause this problem, also there was an update from the creator of UxStyle and the 8.1 version is complete but he is having problems with MS trying to get it approved but will be releasing it shortly.

Did you have inactiva windows updates ? I had this problem in my PC and then i use patch fro SP (skinpack) .

http://s18.postimg.org/tliqiohcp/9_14_2013_10_57_12_AM.png

http://s22.postimg.org/oshrmtjpt/9_14_2013_10_58_06_AM.png

http://s16.postimg.org/4r1hpyrk5/9_14_2013_11_02_01_AM.png

Mr GRiM
September 14th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Did you have inactiva windows updates ? I had this problem in my PC and then i use patch fro SP (skinpack) .

http://s18.postimg.org/tliqiohcp/9_14_2013_10_57_12_AM.png

http://s22.postimg.org/oshrmtjpt/9_14_2013_10_58_06_AM.png

http://s16.postimg.org/4r1hpyrk5/9_14_2013_11_02_01_AM.png
Those quotes just confirmed what I said about Skin packs Ultra Uxtheme Patcher, it is the only cause of the black screen after windows updates, UxStyle does not have this problem and I recommend using it.

Virtu
September 23rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Mark!!!

It's finally done (http://uxstyle.com/). :happy:

userna
October 12th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Once I installed it I cant access any folders or use the start menu. Is it normal?:worried:

Virtu
October 16th, 2013, 06:59 AM
After a long time, Rafael has re-uploaded the (http://uxstyle.com/)latest UxStyle for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 v0.2.3.0 (http://uxstyle.com/) :happy:

Hope he's got it right - this time. :greedy:

hunteds911
October 19th, 2013, 01:42 PM
After a long time, Rafael has re-uploaded the (http://uxstyle.com/)latest UxStyle for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 v0.2.3.0 (http://uxstyle.com/) :happy:

Hope he's got it right - this time. :greedy:

On the bottom of the page for the link and I quote "http://uxstyle.com/builds/UxStyle_sep23_x86_x64_possibly_bugged.zip" hmmm possibly bugged puts up a red flag. Any 8.1 users I would wait for a final word on it unless you are running VMs to test or have good backups / restore points.
I am waiting to make sure all the kinks are worked out before I do the mod to my theme / styles / icons right now. I have a clean Windows 8.1 and do not want to have to reload just yet if something hoses the works. lol I love all of the work that is being put into this and really good work keep it up. I loved it for Windows 8. I am just hoping that Microsoft won't be updating stuff constantly so that you have to re-apply the UXstyle patcher and then re-apply the themes. That was annoying in windows 8.0.

Hope to be applying these styles soon to my system. I can't wait to try it.

Mr GRiM
October 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I have an updated pack that works with 8.1 but I have found that it breaks the install for new windows Store Apps, if that isn't a problem for you guys then I guess I can post it, you will just have to restore using sfc /scannow if you need to get new or update apps lol

hunteds911
October 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I have an updated pack that works with 8.1 but I have found that it breaks the install for new windows Store Apps, if that isn't a problem for you guys then I guess I can post it, you will just have to restore using sfc /scannow if you need to get new or update apps lol

I personally don't download a bunch of apps for the app store. lol But very cool can't wait to see it.

Virtu
October 29th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I have an updated pack that works with 8.1 but I have found that it breaks the install for new windows Store Apps, if that isn't a problem for you guys then I guess I can post it, you will just have to restore using sfc /scannow if you need to get new or update apps lol\
I'm trying it out, now - shall take some time to report back (there's a lot of house-keeping to do, first.)

About the Store Apps - personally, have absolutely no use for them and have always been leaving them completely disabled (along with the Modern UI.)

Wolfy
November 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM
So... everything works perfectly but I did get a funny issue with my sound card like you mentioned I might. In the system tray it won't let me click it and change the volume (Or my wifi router but those are the only two things) after I have been logged in a little while. Not a huge deal as I can change the sound levels on any videos/games I play there, and strangely the sound slider in control panel>sounds works perfectly and I never change my wifi and have it set to connect automatically.

However if I try to use the the charm bar to go into my wifi settings just to see if it will work sometimes it crashes windows explorer and I can only use the stuff I have up which is a pain in the butt even if it is easy for me not to ever use it.

Anyways bug report over I have two questions:
Has any progress been made on fixing these bugs?
And what would I have to do to get my sound card running normal again, just restore shell32?

hunteds911
January 8th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Are you going to make an updated one for this on for 8.1? I would love to see the blue icons for 8.1 Can't wait for the 8.1 premium themes /styles. :) Love your work man!!!:greedy:

Jarminx
May 3rd, 2014, 05:00 AM
OK a lot of my program icons including the ones in start app ui are like this.. I tried to uninstall but it keeps coming up saying that CMD needs to run as administrator but there's no way to select it to do that during the uninstall.. Also, I tried to do a restore and it's not restoring the files.. No idea what your installer did but apparently it really did a number on my system.. I really don't want to go through another wipe.. O.o Any suggestions??

Dark Knight
May 3rd, 2014, 12:49 PM
OK a lot of my program icons including the ones in start app ui are like this.. I tried to uninstall but it keeps coming up saying that CMD needs to run as administrator but there's no way to select it to do that during the uninstall.. Also, I tried to do a restore and it's not restoring the files.. No idea what your installer did but apparently it really did a number on my system.. I really don't want to go through another wipe.. O.o Any suggestions??

If you run the installer again, when you get to the page that says "Which components should be installed?" make sure all the options are cleared. When you get to the last page there should be an option to restore default icons or something of the sort, if you check it you should be able to restore your default icons from there.

If Not ......

Run a command prompt as administrator, when it opens type in "sfc /SCANNOW"
without the quotes, let the scan run, it may take a little while. When it is done it will tell you to reboot, when you reboot all your icons should be back to their default. Doing it this way though your probably going to have to reinstall UXThemepatcher, you'll know right away after you reboot because the theme won't look right. This is because sfc /SCANNOW is not only restoring your icons back to default but also any .dll files that were patched by the theme patcher.

Next time when you install the icons, when you get to the page that says "Which components should be installed?" try just checking the one that says "Basic theme Icons (imageres .dll only)" and clear the rest, then install the icon pack.

Lito
May 3rd, 2014, 06:52 PM
If you run the installer again, when you get to the page that says "Which components should be installed?" make sure all the options are cleared. When you get to the last page there should be an option to restore default icons or something of the sort, if you check it you should be able to restore your default icons from there.

If Not ......

without the quotes, let the scan run, it may take a little while. When it is done it will tell you to reboot, when you reboot all your icons should be back to their default. Doing it this way though your probably going to have to reinstall UXThemepatcher, you'll know right away after you reboot because the theme won't look right. This is because sfc /SCANNOW is not only restoring your icons back to default but also any .dll files that were patched by the theme patcher.

Next time when you install the icons, when you get to the page that says "Which components should be installed?" try just checking the one that says "Basic theme Icons (imageres .dll only)" and clear the rest, then install the icon pack.

i've run into that situation myself as i have ran the SFC/SCANNOW and my icons are not going back to default so what road should i take to correct that small bump in the road ?

freak69ize
May 3rd, 2014, 07:01 PM
i've run into that situation myself as i have ran the SFC/SCANNOW and my icons are not going back to default so what road should i take to correct that small bump in the road ?

Did you put a space between sfc and / ?? like sfc /

Lito
May 3rd, 2014, 08:22 PM
Did you put a space between sfc and / ?? like sfc /

oops nope i ran it all together

Unreality
May 3rd, 2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks Mr Grim :Smile:

Jarminx
May 3rd, 2014, 10:39 PM
I had noticed it was trying to run sfc / scannow but I'm not familiar with how the patcher and icon installer worked.. I'll run the scan when I get home tonight from work... Actually, I'll run it now from my phone so I don't have to wait for it when I'm home :p I'll reply tonight with the results :)

Jarminx
May 4th, 2014, 05:24 AM
OMG. Over 2 hours of trying to get my computer to restore because when I ran sfc /scannow and rebooted, I got a black screen and it wouldn't even load Windows, and my only other option for backing up my files with the old drive was a fail since the old drive finally went completely kapoot. So over 2 hours of trying to get around the locked drive.. Over 2 hrs to finally trick the system into unlocking the drive to get to system restore BEFORE the icon installation.. However, there's system glitches all over the place AND the icons are STILL INSTALLED. This is the 5th time this has happened with Mr. Grim's exe files.. He's got good design skills but when it comes to creating install files, it's a total fail. Good work on the designing, but please work on your skills for programming your install files.. I'm happy to say I will never install icons ever again. The themes I might still go for since it's not much going on with those, but everything else.. No thank you. Not worth so many issues. I'm gong to try another restore from an even earlier state and see what gives...

Jarminx
May 4th, 2014, 10:28 AM

If Not ......

Scan resulted in 2hrs of trying to get my computer to come back.. Drives were locked, it was a mess.. Finally got the restore to work.. Tried the icon installer again to restore my files, said to reboot.. BAM! killed the computer AGAIN.. Took me 5hrs.. FIVE HOURS to finally get the drive to unlock by fooling the system a bit and restoring.. First restore right before the icon install didn't work.. Had to restore nearly at the beginning of my fresh install of windows.. The good news is I didn't lose any personal information.. But this also means I will never try installing icons again. It's not worth all this mess.

Jarminx
May 5th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Final update, I followed what I was told to a T and the final result led to a refresh of my system. I restored to a point that was before I even themed and the icons were still half there and half not there.. The system started to get buggy and odd things started happening.. This is my final post here as I will no longer risk theming or skinning icons or any customization from this website, especially from Mr. Grim. I love the designs, I think they are awesome. But using the install files is off limits for me. This was the 5th refresh I've had to do while trying to use the content on this website and this will be the last. Thanks for all the help everyone tried to give me on here, however I won't be returning. I'd like to enjoy my system, not have to go through work all of the time just to get things to work like they should.

Note for those who custom build, make sure you have additional HDD's on hand and image back up your systems.. This process is rather risky and may cause your system to have the issues that you've seen with my posts. I don't have backups right now as the old HDD I had died as well as the 10+year old external drive. So be sure you have a way to backup ;)

Have fun peeps! For those that this works flawlessly, have fun theming! ;)

matiasht
July 21st, 2014, 12:45 AM
Will this work for Windows 8.1.1? Can I use the installer to only modifiy the icons such as folders and such?

Lamia
July 21st, 2014, 10:07 AM
Will this work for Windows 8.1.1? Can I use the installer to only modifiy the icons such as folders and such?
This thread was for Windows 8 only, if you wanna run this on 8.1.1 first try it on virtual machine before on your real os.
Here is 7tsp IconPack for Windows 8.1 with and without update 1: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/66108-7tsp-HUD-Machine-Blue-IconPack

IFireEagle
September 28th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks for this icons !

7hePain94
February 21st, 2015, 09:59 PM
after installed it i have white screen on all control panel option and cant set anyting and unistall programs

7hePain94
February 22nd, 2015, 12:18 AM
After i installed it can't open control panel, its white without options, cant unistall anything and cant run anymore a lot of programs, and cmd as admin

Cybermonk
September 17th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Love this iconpack, i just had to try the installer on Win10 (after i made a restorepoint offcourse).
Only did choose to install "Icons and Extra's"...

Too bad it didn't worked out as i hoped.

Shemhamforash
September 17th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Love this iconpack, i just had to try the installer on Win10 (after i made a restorepoint offcourse).
Only did choose to install "Icons and Extra's"...

Too bad it didn't worked out as i hoped.

Try using 7tsp and these: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/66108-7tsp-HUD-Machine-Blue-IconPack
Personally, as well as other forum members, we have never really had any problems with 7tsp icon packs.

Cybermonk
September 17th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Thanks but i allready found out that Mr Grims HUD Machine Blue Icons Extras Pack for Windows 8.1 which i used work just fine on Windows 10 also :)

Venom0642
September 18th, 2015, 01:13 AM
This doesnt work for Windows 10 Home , once you reboot you will go to blue screen just a warning !

peter.pan
October 27th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the gr8 work Mark............:peace:

jawo4u
December 2nd, 2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks alot

matiasht
December 15th, 2015, 11:36 PM
any windows 10 version of this for november update? at least only the black and blue icon pack?

mindflayz
February 9th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Looks awesome!

Oddbodd
August 28th, 2016, 07:08 PM
During the patching of the files in the installer, I had a couple of windows popping up saying "File to be patched does no exist ! ("C:\Program Files\HUD_Evolution_System_Backup\system32\biocpl.dll) and for "PerfCenterCPL.dll" and "sdcpl/dll". Once the PC had rebooted, I have discovered that my personalisation menu is blank and so is my control panel. I have found a way to get the control panel back so I can do system restore to before I installed it but I would appreciate it if you could run me through on how to do it properly as I'm just playing by ear at this point.

Mr GRiM
August 28th, 2016, 08:42 PM
During the patching of the files in the installer, I had a couple of windows popping up saying "File to be patched does no exist ! ("C:\Program Files\HUD_Evolution_System_Backup\system32\biocpl.dll) and for "PerfCenterCPL.dll" and "sdcpl/dll". Once the PC had rebooted, I have discovered that my personalisation menu is blank and so is my control panel. I have found a way to get the control panel back so I can do system restore to before I installed it but I would appreciate it if you could run me through on how to do it properly as I'm just playing by ear at this point.

I should probably bin this thread as it's very old and was for Windows 8 RTM not 8.1 allot of things have been changed/removed and so on and this installer should not be run on anything newer, best to do a system restore or run sfc /scannow to restore all the system files then I suggest you look for one of the ipacks instead.

Oddbodd
August 29th, 2016, 07:54 AM

Ah ok, thanks :)

matiasht
October 10th, 2016, 02:00 AM
Hi!, is there anyway to apply the icons for Windows 10 Anniversary Update? I really want the black and blue icons as I used to have before the big update :(

Shemhamforash
October 10th, 2016, 02:12 AM
Hi!, is there anyway to apply the icons for Windows 10 Anniversary Update? I really want the black and blue icons as I used to have before the big update :(

http://virtualcustoms.net/forumdisplay.php/1230-iPacks-Win-8-8-1-and-10

matiasht
October 10th, 2016, 04:27 AM

Sorry I dont understand your reply, what Im looking for is not there

Shemhamforash
October 10th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Sorry I dont understand your reply, what Im looking for is not there

Geez, ok here you go it works on all versions of Windows 10 http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/70339-HUD-Machine-Blue-iPack