PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Start Screen Defaults

YourNumbr1Fan
March 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM

Using Restorator, I pulled the 'PNG' folder out of imageres.dll in my Windows 8 Pro......and so here are all the start-screen backgrounds, all in their default sizes and colors. 285 resources.
I didn't include some of the other png-files that are in this folder, like certain thumbs and blank user images; these are just the backgrounds with one thumb each, file names intact.

Handy for use as resources, or for sizing info when hacking imageres.dll to include your own images for backgrounds in the start-screen, a great idea for future Win8 theme-builders to consider....These images of course copyrighted by MS, so use prudence.

61831 <----DOWNLOAD

For more start-screen hack options, look at this tutorial: ​http://www.askvg.com/how-to-customize-or-change-start-screen-green-background-start-button-tiny-start-menu-and-other-metro-ui-stuff-in-windows-8/

Harvey Sewdin
March 26th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Very good trick for adding custom patterns, thanks for the tip mate :smile:

~TripleAceS~
March 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks For the Info..I have a HP Envy with Windows 8. I do not Care for it... I think I have turned it on 6 times in close to 3 moths that I have Had it...LoL

YourNumbr1Fan
March 27th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I mainly wanted to add these to the fray because I was asked at DA by someone where these images were in the Win8 system, someone who wanted to hack his start-screen manually instead of using a proggy like Decor8 to do it (and having to purchase it of course after 30-days trial).
I'd like to see theme-builders include custom images in their Win8 themes for the start-screen, like a 7tsp hack into these imageres.dll images. That would be cool, and as more people build more themes for the OS I'm sure this will be the case.

YourNumbr1Fan
March 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Mine's an HP too.....I guess I've just gotten used to Win8 now. I love it, don't want to go back to Win7. (Ive went back-n-forth many times, but am now staying with 8) There's a lot of possibilities in Win8 for theme-builders, and, once you really get a feel for it, it's miles cooler than the other versions of Windows.

Thanks For the Info..I have a HP Envy with Windows 8. I do not Care for it... I think I have turned it on 6 times in close to 3 moths that I have Had it...LoL