PDA

View Full Version : Infected Cookies Detected By My BitDefender IS 2013

YourNumbr1Fan
May 6th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Guys, I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, in light of the recent hacking of CreativX......

A few times of late, my BitDefender Internet Security 2013 has given me notices that it has quarantined various cookies that were infected while I was on VC. I researched it some, and found out that, while the cookies aren't dangerous themselves, they can allow a third-party to maybe gain access to certain things, like login-info.

Like I said, my main concern here is that VC doesn't suffer the same kind of attack that CTX did. Next time I get a notice from BDIS, I'll copy a screen-shot of it and post it here.

Update: Guys, I appreciate all the advice about how to clean my pc, but please understand that my computer is fine, my av is doing its job well (that's why it gave me the notifications)....Like I said above, I just wanted to let the staff here know so that IF there's any malicious code being ran against the site here, or someone, somehow, embedding harmful (or spyware) cookies, they might be able to nip it in the bud and not have what happened to CTX happen here!

That was my sole purpose for posting this thread. It's why I only tagged some of the big guys (staff, Admin) with this. I appreciate some of you telling me ways to protect my pc and browser, I really do, but, not meaning to be a ***** about it, I don't need ways to clean or protect my computer. It's running great, and my av is doing what it was designed to do. The cookies might even be false-positives, who knows? But CTX was BROUGHT DOWN, and quickly, by something and someone, and, even though Pierre might have been able to avoid it happening, or at least backed up the site at regular intervals, it DEVASTATED the site. I would hate to see VC done the same way. These hackers who messed-up CTX are intelligent enough to use something like a cookie if it's possible, and, from what I've been reading about cookies, it IS.

I know some of you don't like CTX, and that's fine, I don't want to get into all that noise.....and maybe some of you are GLAD that the site was hacked, whatever. But I for one hated that it happened, and would equally hate to see VC done the same way. There are some a--holes who hate VC and CTX ; just look at some of the word-battles some of us (including myself) had had at DA with some (or several) jerks about the forums. There are some who want to see both sites GONE.

Enough said.

beagleman1701
May 6th, 2013, 03:05 AM
i have nortons and have got the same message.

ONE MAN ARMY
May 6th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I have not got any of these messages.

deviantdon
May 6th, 2013, 03:50 AM
i have avast but ive yet to ever get a warning like this,but thanks for the info bro.

IceBabee
May 6th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I haven't gotten any of these messages....but I sure do appreciate the warning! You never know....CTX did get hit pretty hard and it was a shame....I surely don't wanna see VC get it too! I'd haffta cry for sure.... :( Thanks again for the heads up friend :)

8pecxstudios
May 6th, 2013, 04:59 AM
tho's are usually associated with ads sometimes the cookies that get generated by the ad.js java-script file can contain errors witch can be possibly exploited so your anti-virus pick up on this and quarantines and deletes the cookie.

they can also occur when you visit a site constantly some times conflicts with older cookies from that site and have errors in it that can look to anti-viruses as a threat.

as for the harm-less part most are but some can be quite nasty.

all my cache get cleaned regularly so i rarely get warnings.

YourNumbr1Fan
May 6th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Like I said, I just thought y'all should know.....

tho's are usually associated with ads sometimes the cookies that get generated by the ad.js java-script file can contain errors witch can be possibly exploited so your anti-virus pick up on this and quarantines and deletes the cookie.

they can also occur when you visit a site constantly some times conflicts with older cookies from that site and have errors in it that can look to anti-viruses as a threat.

as for the harm-less part most are but some can be quite nasty.

all my cache get cleaned regularly so i rarely get warnings.

May 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM
for better security take the time to have to except or reject every cookie. do not save any cookies once your browsing session is done. if you're using any version of firefox get the "betterprivacy" addon for lso/super cookies. disable autofill for your browsers. and make sure you have noscript, and adblock plus.

YourNumbr1Fan
May 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I have the AdBlock, not crazy about ABP because it tends to slow browsing slightly....But it's actually rarely anything that comes up, just every blue moon, and BD does a good job at quarantining them. Then I delete them. And I hate having my browser ask every time for each cookie.
I was just letting them know here because I thought it might lead to a situation for VC. As for me, I think my computer is secure. But thanks for the reply, and some people might want to do just as you've said here for sure mate.

Harvey Sewdin
May 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Till now I haven't got any of those messages, i have adblock plus too, does a decent job. I guess it's something else whats conflicting then.

Letícia®
May 6th, 2013, 01:25 PM
thanks for the info my friend

very sad what happened to "CTX" ... I hope everything is well soon

Mr GRiM
May 6th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info, not had any warnings either but I only use MSE so probably not going to pick it up anyway, I am also bad at cleaning my cookies and temp internet files, probably only do it once a month if I'm lucky, hardly ever do a check for malware either but after reading this I might do a clean up lol

Big V
May 6th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Well I'm running BitDefender AV along with better privacy, ghostery, and adblock plus, on cyberfox.
Plus I do regular cleanings of my system weekly and have not had a single thing popup.

Maybe it all those conspiracy sites you visit bud that leaving those nasty cookies on your system. lol

peter.pan
May 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Guys, I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, in light of the recent hacking of CreativX......

A few times of late, my BitDefender Internet Security 2013 has given me notices that it has quarantined various cookies that were infected while I was on VC. I researched it some, and found out that, while the cookies aren't dangerous themselves, they can allow a third-party to maybe gain access to certain things, like login-info.

Like I said, my main concern here is that VC doesn't suffer the same kind of attack that CTX did. Next time I get a notice from BDIS, I'll copy a screen-shot of it and post it here.

Hey try this....in your browser go to options and uncheck third party cookies then download spybot and immunize for cookie defense:peace:....

YourNumbr1Fan
May 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Bud, I appreciate it but, like I was saying a post or two up to ChuckysChild, I don't need any more protection on my computer. The reason my av let me know was because it's doing its job........I was just concerned that someone might be trying to run malicious code on the site here.

Hey try this....in your browser go to options and uncheck third party cookies then download spybot and immunize for cookie defense:peace:....

YourNumbr1Fan
May 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Haha. Very funny jackass. Last time I try to be a good citizen here. Now ban me if you want to.lmao2

....Maybe it all those conspiracy sites you visit bud that leaving those nasty cookies on your system. lol

Big V
May 7th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Haha. Very funny jackass. Last time I try to be a good citizen here. Now ban me if you want to.lmao2

62784 lmao

YourNumbr1Fan
May 7th, 2013, 02:51 AM
lmao2I tell you man, I'll NEVER buy wool ones again!---(ouch)---Only cotton for me from now on! lmao2

It's all good mate, sorry for coming-off a *****.:allgood:---Some of us just can't help it! LOL! :glug:..."THEY" (the shadow-people) have me paranoid!:worried:LOL!

62784 lmao

razorsedge
May 7th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hey guys ya these would be cookies from adds or tracking cookies is where u get those flags from mostly the av will flag them cause they track your browsing habbits and send info back to google and crap for when you do searching.

You can easily keep these off your system by having addons such as no script, addblock plus and ghostery especially ghostery will not allow any of those tracking cookies to get on your computer from the browser. Good idea at the end of your day when your going off your computer to clean your browsers cache too I use privazer for that when I am done I just open privazer and click the clean with one click internet button so it dumps the cache and cookies flash crap whatever else I have the cookies set for websites in it I wanna keep so it makes it easier but even those I will flush about once a mth to keep them fresh :)

julio99
June 25th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Ghostery, DoNotTrackMe or both? Don't these add ons do the same thing? Ghostery and DNTM?

Originalganjaman
June 28th, 2014, 03:18 PM
As nobody has replied i'll answer your question yes they both do pretty much the same thing ie block trackers, beacons etc

julio99
June 28th, 2014, 04:41 PM
​Thanks partner. I use DoNotTrackMe as Ghostery has settings and I prefer add ons that don't require setting more than once.
and as they do just about the same thing I prefer DNTM.