PDA

View Full Version : 7tsp problem

Dark Knight
June 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
The last few times I have used 7tsp I have been running into a problem.

Usually when I install a 7tsp icon pack, it will install the icon pack, ask for a reboot, then after reboot it will ask for one more reboot to finalize the process.

Lately, when installing an icon pack, it installs the pack then will ask for a reboot, after reboot and logging into Windows I will get a black screen with nothing but my cursor, I must then Ctrl>Alt>Delete, log out then log back into Windows to see my desktop, after which 7tsp will not call for the final reboot. But all the icons are installed and work correctly.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64

The version of 7tsp I am using is V0.3 Build(3003) which I assume is the current build?

I have tried uninstalling and re installing a fresh copy of 7tsp ....... same thing :??

I don't understand what may be causing this, any info or help would be greatly appreciated!

polterghozt
June 3rd, 2013, 05:19 PM
just my opinion still kind of watching stuff but a second reboot i didnt see the point because it works on the first reboot everytime and im on windows 8 and still works good on it as well in 7 ive tryed both systems with the 7stp and never needed to reboot twice but just my opinion.

Dark Knight
June 3rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
just my opinion still kind of watching stuff but a second reboot i didnt see the point because it works on the first reboot everytime and im on windows 8 and still works good on it as well in 7 ive tryed both systems with the 7stp and never needed to reboot twice but just my opinion.
I've been using 7tsp for a few years now and it has always asked for two reboots.
Regardless of whether it needs one or two reboots, I am now wondering why I am getting a black screen and having to log out then log back in in order to see my desktop after the first reboot.

polterghozt
June 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
that to me sounds like somthing in the registry

XxHackThisxX
June 3rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
is this happening after "every boot" or only after the first boot after you installed the icons?

ONE MAN ARMY
June 3rd, 2013, 06:58 PM
I have installed many 7tsp icon packs. So many to count. It always ask for 2 boots. and I always reboot 2 times. I have never had any issue's. Works flawless every time. I have seen others that have run into issue's and all I can say is run sfc /scannow and redo it.

Dark Knight
June 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
is this happening after "every boot" or only after the first boot after you installed the icons?
Only happens after the first reboot, after that all is fine, I can shut down or reboot without any issues, only that first reboot after installing a icon pack, after which it does not call for the second reboot. But all the icons show and work fine.

I was reading on the Xtsp site today that 7tsp should be ran from a folder with reshack.exe in the same folder, I wasn't doing that, so I am thinking that may be the issue.

polterghozt
June 3rd, 2013, 08:38 PM
here is what i would try also get rid of it clean all the registry of anything that involves it clean out its very exsistence from anything at all then redownload it and try agian ive had issues with other software where i had to do what im describing and it worked just a thought.

XxHackThisxX
June 3rd, 2013, 09:23 PM
I have never run 7Tsp in the same folder as reshack.exe.That may be the problem and may not.However,before i install any 7Tsp icon pack,i make sure to completely uninstall any leftovers from the previous 7Tsp,clear my icon cache and my rescache,reboot then install the fresh 7Tsp icon pack.I cant pinpoint your issue,but it doesnt sound too serious as it only happens upon the first reboot.I personally wouldn't go messing with the registry.I cant imagine there would be something corrupt in there unless you deleted something you know you werent suppose to.After you uninstall the icon pack does it still do it when returning to the default icons or only reinstalling a new icon pack?.My only suggestion would be to completely uninstall all remnants,then clear the icon cache and rescache,reboot,then start over.However,if it only happens once then i personally would just leave it be as it is not causing any more problems.Is up to you.Sorry,thats the only answer i can come up with.Trial and error unless someone else knows more bout it..good luck.

YourNumbr1Fan
June 4th, 2013, 01:33 AM
It could be a problem with your explorer.exe. Try replacing it with a backup after you remove the current 7tsp icon-pack. Then, when you re-install a new 7tsp icon-pack, the program will modify and back up your new explorer.exe.....

If you don't have a backup explorer.exe for your system, I have you one right here: 63108

This is the default explorer.exe for Win7 Home Premium x64

I don't know if it will solve your issue, but it might. Let me know.

If you have issues replacing the file manually, use this tool: 63109

__________________________________________________________________________________

*Another thing to look at:

1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep

tapping the F8 key)

2) Select "Safe Mode with Networking"

3) Click on Start --> Run --> Type regedt32 and press Enter.

[click on Start --> In search box, type

regedt32 and press Enter.]

Registry Editor will be opened. Navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

At the right side, find the strings shell & userinit and check the following

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

If shell and userinit are set to different data values, then change them as mentioned

above.

Just off the top, these are the only things I can think might be causing the issue Dark Knight.

Usually when I install a 7tsp icon pack, it will install the icon pack, ask for a reboot, then after reboot it will ask for one more reboot to finalize the process.

Lately, when installing an icon pack, it installs the pack then will ask for a reboot, after reboot and logging into Windows I will get a black screen with nothing but my cursor, I must then Ctrl>Alt>Delete, log out then log back into Windows to see my desktop, after which 7tsp will not call for the final reboot. But all the icons are installed and work correctly.

The version of 7tsp I am using is V0.3 Build(3003) which I assume is the current build?

I have tried uninstalling and re installing a fresh copy of 7tsp ....... same thing :??

I don't understand what may be causing this, any info or help would be greatly appreciated!

YourNumbr1Fan
June 4th, 2013, 02:00 AM
By the way bro---I have an 'install.wim' file I extracted from a Win7 A.I.O. (all-in-one) disc, and can pull any default file you might need from it easily. So, if you need some other system file, just post here or pm me.:Peace:

polterghozt
June 4th, 2013, 02:37 AM
dont know if this will help yall but i got win 7 ultimate iso's in both bits so if there is somthing i can help with let me know

June 4th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Only happens after the first reboot, after that all is fine, I can shut down or reboot without any issues, only that first reboot after installing a icon pack, after which it does not call for the second reboot. But all the icons show and work fine.

I was reading on the Xtsp site today that 7tsp should be ran from a folder with reshack.exe in the same folder, I wasn't doing that, so I am thinking that may be the issue.

no, no need for a foilder with 7tsp and reshack in it. once 7tsp is in stalled and you go to run it for the first time if you don't have reshanks install 7tsp will ask you if you want to download and in stall reshack.

Dark Knight
June 4th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys for the help, YourNumbr1Fan, I am going to give your solution a try and see how it goes. I'll let you know. I'm almost afraid to touch ot right now, I've just changed themes and icon packs, I've got everything set to where I want it now just to go and mess it all up ........... oh well it'll give me something to do today.
I would have answered back last night but I was working on a laptop for a friend.

Chucky, this is the prerequisites I got from the XPtsp site:
Requirements:
~ Windows Se7en Only
~ ResHacker has to be preinstalled on the system, or reshacker.exe has to be in the same folder as 7tsp.

Mr GRiM
June 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Sorry I didn't read this thread any earlier, I have seen this problem before as well with 7tsp, my brother and I both build identical computers pretty much, same Motherboard, RAM, CPU, OS but different PSU and Graphics cards and I always share my new themes with him and he has always had this problem with 7tsp after the first reboot, same as you black screen and he has to Ctrl>Alt>Delete but he always did another reboot, it never caused any problems though, all the packs still worked fine, sadly I was never able to figure out the cause.

Dark Knight
June 4th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Sorry I didn't read this thread any earlier, I have seen this problem before as well with 7tsp, my brother and I both build identical computers pretty much, same Motherboard, RAM, CPU, OS but different PSU and Graphics cards and I always share my new themes with him and he has always had this problem with 7tsp after the first reboot, same as you black screen and he has to Ctrl>Alt>Delete but he always did another reboot, it never caused any problems though, all the packs still worked fine, sadly I was never able to figure out the cause.

Well I am going to try YouNumbr1Fan's suggestion, if it works I will post back here and let you know, if it woks then you'll have the solution to the problem for your brother :happy:

8pecxstudios
June 4th, 2013, 02:35 PM
sfc /scannow restore all files back to original and patch them manually will work first time everytime:Smile:

Dark Knight
June 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM
It could be a problem with your explorer.exe. Try replacing it with a backup after you remove the current 7tsp icon-pack. Then, when you re-install a new 7tsp icon-pack, the program will modify and back up your new explorer.exe.....

If you don't have a backup explorer.exe for your system, I have you one right here: 63108

This is the default explorer.exe for Win7 Home Premium x64

I don't know if it will solve your issue, but it might. Let me know.

If you have issues replacing the file manually, use this tool: 63109

__________________________________________________________________________________

*Another thing to look at:

1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep

tapping the F8 key)

2) Select "Safe Mode with Networking"

3) Click on Start --> Run --> Type regedt32 and press Enter.

[click on Start --> In search box, type

regedt32 and press Enter.]

Registry Editor will be opened. Navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

At the right side, find the strings shell & userinit and check the following

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

If shell and userinit are set to different data values, then change them as mentioned

above.

Just off the top, these are the only things I can think might be causing the issue Dark Knight.

Ok, I uninstalled the icon pack, I also uninstalled 7tsp using revo uninstaller just to make sure there were registry remnants leftover, installed a fresh copy of 7tsp. Replaced Explorer.exe as suggested and just for good measure checked the above registry values and all was good to go. I am using the HUD Launch icon pack & extras, I downloaded a fresh copy from VC and installed using 7tsp and still the same thing, all installed fine, asked for a reboot, after the reboot .......Black Screen ......... had to Ctrl>Alt>Delete, Log out then log back in to see the desktop, rebooted one more time for good measure and it rebooted fine.

Mr. Grim stated that his brother has the same problem, which is leading me to believe that it is not 7tsp, must have something to do with the systems, it's really no big deal as long as I'm not losing or destroying data, but it is just one of those things that bugs the hell out of me when I do change themes, which is not very often.

I could probably do like Toady suggested and patch manually but to be honest, I don't have that much patience. I'll deal with it untill someone finds the fix or I have to do a complete clean install.

XxHackThisxX
June 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Hmmm..is strange.I also am running windows 7 home premium x64 and have not had that problem.I also downloaded the hud launch icon pack from here before i used the one im using now.All went fine. I downloaded the 7Tsp and Theme Resource Changer x64 V1.0. Installed theme resource changer then the 7tsp icon pack,rebooted twice and all went fine. I am curious as to what the problem is.Hope someone figures it out.good luck.Hope yah get it fixed.

YourNumbr1Fan
June 5th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Dang Black Knight, it's weird. Maybe something to do with graphics card? I also saw something on the www about deleting a registry-key that had something to do with the shell.....
I don't recommend tampering too much with the registry, but a few people said the fix worked for them. Lemme see if I can find it.....

OK, I think it was in one of the posts here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/5b94b775-992e-4f48-b3ff-c89b3cf45e82/

Sorry I couldn't solve it for you bud. Like you, I HATE when something doesn't work like it's supposed to, even if it doesn't cause major problems! I'm a perfectionist, and it just bugs the total crap outa me until I figure it out.

You'll eventually figure it out, I'm sure. Just be careful of course.:peace:

Dark Knight
June 5th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Hmmm..is strange.I also am running windows 7 home premium x64 and have not had that problem.I also downloaded the hud launch icon pack from here before i used the one im using now.All went fine. I downloaded the 7Tsp and Theme Resource Changer x64 V1.0. Installed theme resource changer then the 7tsp icon pack,rebooted twice and all went fine. I am curious as to what the problem is.Hope someone figures it out.good luck.Hope yah get it fixed.
I don't think it's any of those, it has to be something in the system, Like Grim said above, his brother has the same problem and they have yet to figure it out also.

Dark Knight
June 5th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Dang Black Knight, it's weird. Maybe something to do with graphics card? I also saw something on the www about deleting a registry-key that had something to do with the shell.....
I don't recommend tampering too much with the registry, but a few people said the fix worked for them. Lemme see if I can find it.....

OK, I think it was in one of the posts here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/5b94b775-992e-4f48-b3ff-c89b3cf45e82/

Sorry I couldn't solve it for you bud. Like you, I HATE when something doesn't work like it's supposed to, even if it doesn't cause major problems! I'm a perfectionist, and it just bugs the total crap outa me until I figure it out.

You'll eventually figure it out, I'm sure. Just be careful of course.:peace:

Don't sweat it dude, sooner or later I'll get it figured. Like I told XxHackThisxX, Grims brother has the same problem so I am sure if they get it figured before I do he will post it here. Just like you I am a perfectionist also, luckily this only happens on the first reboot after changing icon packs, if it happened after every reboot it would drive me bat shit crazy. I have my system set the way I want it and it's gonna stay that way for a while.

I'll take a look at the link you gave me above and see if it helps. It's a Microsoft tech forum so I am not going to post a question there because the first thing they are going to blame is the custom icon pack, patches and so on, and we all know that is not the case. This one is a job for those who actually know what they are doing outside of Microsoft ........ the super geeks! :cheeky:

XxHackThisxX
June 5th, 2013, 11:37 PM
It almost sounds like there is a driver not loading like your graphics card driver or something on the first reboot.Have you updated your computer lately? Sometimes an update will cause compatiblity issues.Its too bad you couldnt get to control panel/system/devices after the first reboot to see if all your drivers are loading properly.If it never happened before and it is suddenly starting then from there we know its a computer issue.

Rz_7
June 6th, 2013, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=Dark Knight;273959]The last few times I have used 7tsp I have been running into a problem.

Just last night I went into this problem. Unfortunately, the Alt+Ctl+Del idea didn't change the black screen. I tried all safe modes without luck either. Checked all possible solutions in the BIOS but I could never get it to show anything but the black screen (with cursor in the middle). I have the same system specs as you do I believe. Also I'm running an HP Pavilion G7. I noted, the system does in fact boot, and even surpasses the windows colored emblem while booting up, although, when it reaches the point of showing my desktop... it just stays black, no matter what I do.

But the fun doesn't end there....

When I decided to restore my system, (since I can't find any other way to make it boot normally or in any of the safe modes for that matter), I came up with the fact that my system is unable to use the restoring partition on it's hard drive (recovery disks were never made) and I have "no way" of restoring it to factory default settings. So after doing research all day long, I think it would be best to try to purchase the recovery disks from HP, (hopefully if they have no objections on the issue). And try to boot it from them. I thought of downloading Win 7's OS from the web, but then I read most of these come without drivers, and finding those and actually installing them sounds like an exhausting process if it ever succeeds, so I turned down that alternative.

Anyhow, to all 7tsp users out there, if you ask yourself how did it happen.... I was installing an icon pack made exclusively for 7tsp, (my third icon pack installation), but, since in my previous two installations I never uninstalled the previous ones, I said, well... It shouldn't hurt to skip the uninstalling the previous pack first..... Big mistake... Also, I never cleaned the icon cache I've been hearing I should had cleaned also... Most of my files are backed up on a separate HDD, but still, is a great loss regardless. Settings, installed customized themes, etc...

Weird how I never saw any restoring window in which I could go back to a previously made restoring point, I was looking to find that, counting it could save me... but never found it... I guess this restoring point place shows when you are "inside" if you will or when you are logged in windows perse...

Oh well... I just saw this entry and thought I should share these mistakes I made so others don't have to go thru them.:sad:

Dark Knight
June 7th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Well that is one habit you should make every time you install icon packs, always restore back to the Windows default, I also run sfc /scannow in command mode just for good measure, after rebooting I will install the new icon pack.

I am sorry to hear that you never made recovery disks when you purchased your computer, this is a hard lesson learned, but it should have been the very first thing you did after you set up the system and plugged it into the wall, with mine if that happened I would have to revert all the way back to Vista becuse that's what came on my system, then install 7, it winds up being almost a day and a half to a two day process. Thats why I said screw this and purchased Acronis True Image, Now if anything goes wrong I can revert back to my last good image and within minutes I am back up and running.

But unlike your problem, I am thinking mine may lie with my graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT) , I just updated the software and drivers for it yesterday, It's only a little over 2 years old so It can't be going bad , I opened the case to make sure the fan is working and stuff, all looks good, we'll see next time I change icon packs what happens.