PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice, or help on Skype making custom Win7 usb installer

YourNumbr1Fan
July 28th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Hi my VC friends!

So I want to make a custom Win7 Ultimate x64 usb installer......slip-streamed with all of my drivers, all important updates up until the present time (all but IE10, which I don't want because the Silverlight plugin doesn't work correctly with API, and my wife's connection to her job's Intranet, or a certain section, doesn't work with the IE10 version), custom settings, pre-patched for custom themes, a few softwares installed (like VLC, K-lite mega codec pack, etc.)........

I have 2 programs downloaded and installed: RT7 Lite, and Windows Updates Downloader.
I have my Win7 Ultimate disk.

Last night I fooled with it, extracted my disk with RT7, loaded all the .inf driver files from my system, and then was building the usb...the RT7 prgram says it could take from "60-to-90" minutes, but god! it went into over 2 hours!, then I started thinking that maybe I was doing something wrong, and quit the program. That left me having to spend hours trying to delete all the temporary files from the operation that RT7 puts in the Temp directory "C:\Users\YN1F\AppData\Local\Temp", which was a MAJOR hassle! I finally managed after doing it from Safe Mode (taking ownership of the files, then using East Tec Eraser).:D\'oh!:

I'm just wondering if any of you have done this before, built a custom Win7 install with RT7, and, I'm hoping perhaps someone could jump on Skype with me and help me try it again......

Thanks ahead of time! I'll keep checking here for any comments throughout the evening.:peace:

deviantdon
July 28th, 2013, 03:22 AM
lol i have not got a clue! but hi:Peace:

YourNumbr1Fan
July 28th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Haha!---Hi Don, glad to see ya back on the www man!
That's OK, I think I'll be getting some help; I was contacted by pm from a fella who is gonna help me 2morrow after he gets out of work.

lol i have not got a clue! but hi:Peace:

8pecxstudios
July 28th, 2013, 03:47 AM
use windows opk
create an unattended install with audit mode enabled
install and customize the os
then capture the image to a new install.wim file

now add your install.wim to a usb with a install script
just insert your windows pe disk with imagex support

and run the install script from usb

not only will you have all your customizations but you will have a recovery partition where you can say push F12 at boot and automatically reinstall windows with all your apps/customizations.

:happy:

to do updates like windows you just mount the install.win apply the update then unmount and replace the install.wim on the recovery partition

8pecxstudios
July 28th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Hi my VC friends!

So I want to make a custom Win7 Ultimate x64 usb installer......slip-streamed with all of my drivers, all important updates up until the present time (all but IE10, which I don't want because the Silverlight plugin doesn't work correctly with API, and my wife's connection to her job's Intranet, or a certain section, doesn't work with the IE10 version), custom settings, pre-patched for custom themes, a few softwares installed (like VLC, K-lite mega codec pack, etc.)........

I have 2 programs downloaded and installed: RT7 Lite, and Windows Updates Downloader.
I have my Win7 Ultimate disk.

Last night I fooled with it, extracted my disk with RT7, loaded all the .inf driver files from my system, and then was building the usb...the RT7 prgram says it could take from "60-to-90" minutes, but god! it went into over 2 hours!, then I started thinking that maybe I was doing something wrong, and quit the program. That left me having to spend hours trying to delete all the temporary files from the operation that RT7 puts in the Temp directory "C:\Users\YN1F\AppData\Local\Temp", which was a MAJOR hassle! I finally managed after doing it from Safe Mode (taking ownership of the files, then using East Tec Eraser).:D\'oh!:

I'm just wondering if any of you have done this before, built a custom Win7 install with RT7, and, I'm hoping perhaps someone could jump on Skype with me and help me try it again......

Thanks ahead of time! I'll keep checking here for any comments throughout the evening.:peace:

lol thats because the image was mounted you needed to un-mount the image if you closed the app you would have had to do a manually un-mount via commandline

YourNumbr1Fan
July 28th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Yea, I knew the "why" of it, because the program told me so when I tried to launch a 2nd attempt. But rather than doing it the right way, I just HAD to do it the hard way! LOL!:cheeky:

lol thats because the image was mounted you needed to un-mount the image if you closed the app you would have had to do a manually un-mount via commandline

YourNumbr1Fan
July 28th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Thanks for replying bro.....Maybe before too long you can hop on chat with me, we can share screens, and you can show me. We could also do TeamViewer, that way you can just do it as I watch. The best way for me to learn something like this is to see it done. Verbal or written over-simplified directions don't really cut it with me.

use windows opk
create an unattended install with audit mode enabled
install and customize the os
then capture the image to a new install.wim file

now add your install.wim to a usb with a install script
just insert your windows pe disk with imagex support

and run the install script from usb

not only will you have all your customizations but you will have a recovery partition where you can say push F12 at boot and automatically reinstall windows with all your apps/customizations.

:happy:

to do updates like windows you just mount the install.win apply the update then unmount and replace the install.wim on the recovery partition

8pecxstudios
July 29th, 2013, 01:17 AM
http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/51373-How-To-Make-Custom-Windows-Deployment-%28-Advanced-Recovery-%29-Windows-7 i actually did part of a tut here lol

https://www.youtube.com/user/oempartner

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/installation/downloads/Pages/windows_7_opk.aspx

there are plenty of videos and documentation on this lol hope that helps